2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! when did you receive it? and when were you complete? thanks
Complete mid-august, received II yesterday

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else who has interviewed or interviewing have thoughts on this student phone interview? How seriously should we take it?

It is the first year that this is being done, so there are definitely hiccups with it. It's intended to be a more relaxed way of finding out who the applicants are. Think of it more as just talking to somebody who has been in your shoes. It's a good opportunity to learn more about the school, and is designed to be relatively low stress. However, the student's impression of you is added to your file which is reviewed in full when the adcom meets.

Also...i'm an MS3 in case anybody has any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
It is the first year that this is being done, so there are definitely hiccups with it. It's intended to be a more relaxed way of finding out who the applicants are. Think of it more as just talking to somebody who has been in your shoes. It's a good opportunity to learn more about the school, and is designed to be relatively low stress. However, the student's impression of you is added to your file which is reviewed in full when the adcom meets.

Does Downstate review apps chronologically? Or do they stratify apps based on mcat and gpa before a full review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Downstate review apps chronologically? Or do they stratify apps based on mcat and gpa before a full review?

I honestly have no idea how they do it, but from my personal experience I would say it's not chronological as I was complete July 3 and received an II in December lmao

Thanks for answering questions! Can you tel is what you like/ dislike about the school? How is the sense of community between the classmates? :)

I honestly have no idea how they do it, but from my personal experience I would say it's not chronological as I was complete July 3 and received an II in December lmao
lol i hope waiting 5 months isnt typical

Anyone who received an II and replied via email to confirm the date---- did you get a confirmation back?

Yes i got a confirmation a few days later

Does anyone who interviewed in Sept know when we should expect to hear back?

On my application portal, I only see "Since you have an AMCAS fee wavier, you supplemental application fee will be waived". Anyone experiencing the same?
Same boat - I don't' understand how are they reviewing applications - it is definitely not rolling

Does anyone who interviewed in Sept know when we should expect to hear back?

They told us 4-6 weeks. I think an MS1 on here told us they heard back right on week 5, so for me that's like 1st to 2nd week of November which feels so soon lol.

One of the students that led my tour said that Downstate sends out acceptances by regular mail, and wait list offers (and I'm assuming rejections too) by email. For the first time ever, I'm hoping I don't get an email haha

My peer-to-peer phone interview is today, and idk guys, I'm feeling kinda nervous

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think/know if early-September interviewee's will hear back today?

Last year acceptances went out on the Thursday of the first possible acceptance day. It was also the first year that they used e-mail to notify as well...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think/know if early-September interviewee's will hear back today?

Last year acceptances went out on the Thursday of the first possible acceptance day. It was also the first year that they used e-mail to notify as well...

I was wondering the same thing! I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

Is this call an interview? The email is ambiguous and i left my packet back home.

It will be added to your application materials, and my call included scripted questions. Although it is WAY more relaxed, I'd take it as seriously as you did your faculty interview.

anyone here submit the secondary mid sept and hear back for II? im starting to feel nervous because DS is my top choice

it took them about 3 weeks post-interview for them to contact me.
Okay that makes me feel better, I am 3 weeks post interview basically today. I called/emailed admissions and they said it just takes the med students time to reach out because of their schedule etc.

Complete July 10th, should I be expecting a rejection? Based on last year's thread, those who were complete early kept receiving II until January smh

I'm just lurking here seeing if anyone got an acceptance yet lmao

Reactions: 3 users
My solid guess is this Thursday for any word (hold, acceptance, rejection) and I have firm ground to assert Thursday will be the day for acceptances as well.

upload_2017-10-17_13-40-8.png

7 of 12 post interview status updates came via email since the 2011/12 cycle.
6 of 7 email correspondences came on a Thursday.

Further, based on the language of last year's thread, it seems that they are transitioning to using email for initial acceptance correspondence rather than relying on the post. They had used post for the 4 years prior.

Application Review - also indicates the usage of email for status updates.

The 2014/15 cycle was a bit of an outlier because decisions took so long to come out. Disregarding that cycle, it took an average of 3.4 business days to receive an initial correspondence, 5.2 days for an acceptance, and 3 days if that acceptance came via email. So if the trend of notification by email continues, we will hear acceptances on Thursday.

TL;DR : Thursday

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all of you acceptedand those waiting... But doany of you have an idea regarsing the next batch of II?

My solid guess is this Thursday for any word (hold, acceptance, rejection) and I have firm ground to assert Thursday will be the day for acceptances as well.

View attachment 224523

Further, based on the language of last year's thread, it seems that they are transitioning to using email for initial acceptance correspondence rather than relying on the post. They had used post for the 4 years prior.

The 2014/15 cycle was a bit of an outlier because decisions took so long to come out. Disregarding that cycle, it took an average of 3.4 business days to receive an initial correspondence, 5.2 days for an acceptance, and 3 days if that acceptance came via email. So if the trend of notification by email continues, we will hear acceptances on Thursday.

You need a hobby mate

Reactions: 9 users
does anyone know when the first day of interviews was here?

I'm not sure I have access to the downstate portal. Does anybody know what the link is? Is it the website that was used to submit secondaries (spelunker.downstate.edu)?

View attachment 224523

Hoping you're right and today's the day! Even if I was waitlisted I would rather know sooner rather than later.

Would any current students be willing to answer some questions for me?

Has anyone interviewed here in September and still not received their Peer-to-peer conversation?

Has anyone interviewed here in September and still not received their Peer-to-peer conversation?
Yes, I haven't I contacted admissions and they said that the med students are busy and not to worry about it someone will reach out soon... so... not sure if it is a necessity in the decision making process or not?

To those who have interviewed, is the interview open or closed file?

Does anyone's portal still say "Your Online Supplemental has been completed and your payment has been made. Your Online Supplemental has been submitted to the Office of Admissions for further processing."? Been complete since 7/14 U_U

Does anyone's portal still say "Your Online Supplemental has been completed and your payment has been made. Your Online Supplemental has been submitted to the Office of Admissions for further processing."? Been complete since 7/14 U_U
Yep thats what I have, complete a few days later than you

Tbh I don’t think they update this. I interviewed here and mine still reads that message

Anyone not get an email about the phone interview? Been a few weeks now :/

Anyone not get an email about the phone interview? Been a few weeks now :/
It took me about 5 weeks for a student to contact me after my interview. It just happened tonight!

I think that the paper they gave us in the folder said that it would be used as part of the admissions decision
I think it said "may" I was kind of hoping it wasn't required because it's just going to delay the whole process so much ugh