2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 15 to July 1. (Limit 150 words)

If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)

If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. (Limit 150 words)

If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 150 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be applying here as well!! excited for this cycle!! would love to get into this school

Members don't see this ad :)
Also received and not able to log in - seems like they're still setting it up

Reactions: 1 user
Also unable to login, got this message "The username, password, or application year you entered is incorrect"

Same here! I guess it's a glitch on their end.

This is like the 3rd school so far that has had some kind of glitch with their secondaries this cycle, University of Michigan sent out broken links last night but then sent out working links in the morning, should be the same for this!

One of the few times SDN has alleviated my anxiety. I really thought they had my birthday wrong, thanks guys!

Still can't access the secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received June 30th.

I am also unable to access the secondary application.

They haven't sent out an email saying the system is working yet, but I can now get into the secondary

Seems that the prompts are all the same minus a few word limit deductions. Also, there are added prompts for reapplicants (what have you changed?) and a new prompt for why Downstate/med school in NYC

2018 prompts @WedgeDawg @Lucca @Ismet @gyngyn
------
If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 15 to July 1. (Limit 150 words)

If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)

If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. (Limit 150 words)

If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 150 words)

-----

To my knowledge, these are the same as last year's except for the reapplicant question, which I haven't seen before.

Help! I just rewrote my answer to make it longer, and now it's telling me my 148 words exceed the limit of 100 even though the question now says 150? Anyone else having this problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 19.48.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 19.48.33.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 129
Help! I just rewrote my answer to make it longer, and now it's telling me my 148 words exceed the limit of 100 even though the question now says 150? Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, I cut my answer down to 100 - I'm sure they will either fix it, but figured it would be safer to cut it down in case they actually did mean to make it out of 100 max and didn't just mess up the text box coding and make it 100 on accident

Wow these folks really should get it together. I just called the office and they told me to leave the entry blank and to send them an e-mail with an attachment of my answer to that question...

Yeah, I cut my answer down to 100 - I'm sure they will either fix it, but figured it would be safer to cut it down in case they actually did mean to make it out of 100 max and didn't just mess up the text box coding and make it 100 on accident

They did say it was an error and meant to leave it at 150, but I don't know if it's better to err on the side of caution? My 150-worder is way better than my 100-worder lol

Wow these folks really should get it together. I just called the office and they told me to leave the entry blank and to send them an e-mail with an attachment of my answer to that question...
I think I'll just wait for them to fix it haha

Oh boy, I thought you just meant the reapplicant question, I had no idea the why downstate prompt has the same issue. That's actually way more of a problem, I hope they fix it soon :\

Yeah, I think this may delay your app considering the volume of emails they're going to be getting in the coming weeks. Hopefully the number of calls they're getting about this makes them fix it soon!

I called the office a couple hours ago, they said they're aware of the issue and should have it fixed by Thursday!

This school needs to get their secondary together lmao. So everyone touched on the 100 v 150 word limit issue. But also once u go to submit the thing won't let u log in to pay. like :punch:

This school needs to get their secondary together lmao. So everyone touched on the 100 v 150 word limit issue. But also once u go to submit the thing won't let u log in to pay. like :punch:
anyone else ?

Are you guys treating the "Specific Reason for SUNY Downstate" section as a "why us" question? Or is this for people who have a specific reason, like connection to the area, relatives...?

I did it as a mostly why I want to live in NYC. Touched on their facilities a bit as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

...Has anyone managed to submit their application yet?

Anyone with a feewaiver able to submit? I only get "Since you have an AMCAS fee wavier, you supplemental application fee will be waived." and no real "SUBMIT" or "CONFIRM" button. Does this mean it's been submitted?

EDIT: emailed admissions and said i was submitted!

Last edited:
For the coursework section - If we were on a quarter system, do they want us to do the credit conversion (so I guess I multiply all my credits by .67?) or do they want us to just put in what it says on our transcript?

Amazing the difference in making a cogent argument between 150 and 100 words... I hope they fix their text boxes tomorrow.

I just spoke to admissions and they said it should be working after 12 est.

So I'm not getting the error about the word limit anymore, but for my "Why SUNY/ why NYC" question I have a full answer under 150 words but the website is telling me my app is incomplete, with that answer in red. Anyone else have this issue?

So I'm not getting the error about the word limit anymore, but for my "Why SUNY/ why NYC" question I have a full answer under 150 words but the website is telling me my app is incomplete, with that answer in red. Anyone else have this issue?
+1

Finally submittable! Looks like they fixed it

I paid my fee, but whenever I try to login again it takes me back to the payment page and says 'app will be forwarded to the office when you pay'. I even have the payment confirmation email in my inbox. Anyone else see this?

Yup all fixed for me too now! And ya actually the same thing happens for me too.

All paid and submitted, good luck everyone!

Submitted mine on Wednesday and did everything with the 150 word limit. Can someone clarify if it was meant to be 100? Should I email them my responses? -- because now that it's submitted I can no longer go back and see if anything was truncated in the app.

So what are the most current word limits. I already submitted :(

Submitted! I guess i just need to wait to pay now apparently? lol

Secondary received 6/30/17 and submitted 7/9/17. I kept both essays at 150 words exactly.