2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I reached out to Downstate admissions and was told two things.

1) there is no specific timeframe on when they will be sending out decisions.
2) “you will be notified in writing once a decision is rendered”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

Does writing mean email? their website said 4-6 weeks post interview by email

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for calling!

Did the office seem perturbed by your query?

I should clarify, I emailed them and the response I got about hearing in writing is a direct quote fron their email. No clue if that means snail-mail or email though.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed here early September. It took almost 3 weeks to hear back from them for the student interview but I ended up having the phone conversation by the end of September. I wish they would tell us something soon. This waiting game is awful!

I interviewed end of Sept its been four weeks still haven't heard from the student interviewer ...

Have an interview coming up here...anyone know the best way to get there from the airport? It's looking like either taxi or uber, both of which are really expensive :(

Have an interview coming up here...anyone know the best way to get there from the airport? It's looking like either taxi or uber, both of which are really expensive :(

Which airport?

I'll fly into either JFK or Laguardia

Agree with the above on EWR

JFK is a better bet of JFK/LGA - closer by car and train.

Google Maps has solid directions to get you via mass transit. Pro Tip on Fare Quoting uber - make sure you're doing it at a similar time to when you'd be using it. If you fare quote during rush hour, you'll be subject to that.

I highly recommend newark EWR if you havent purchased airfare yet
I haven't purchased airfare yet. JFK and LGA are pretty much the same distance away; newark is farther. What's the benefit of flying in there? I'm mostly concerned about getting from the airport to campus, which is the expensive part

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you say that?

Was going off of what I was told during the interview and what a current MS said, but just realized that someone on here has been waiting some 7 weeks so...

idk, still hoping to hear back in a week or 2. Had my peer phone interview few weeks ago, so what else do they need lol?

I haven't purchased airfare yet. JFK and LGA are pretty much the same distance away; newark is farther. What's the benefit of flying in there? I'm mostly concerned about getting from the airport to campus, which is the expensive part

I personally would do JFK, if you have the time to sit on a train for like 2+ hours it's the way to go. The airtram is like 5 bucks, and then take a combo of trains/buses to get to brooklyn. Depending how long youll stay in the city - the unlimited subway pass might be something to look into. Also, there's an app called Moovit to help guide you.

Was going off of what I was told during the interview and what a current MS said, but just realized that someone on here has been waiting some 7 weeks so...

idk, still hoping to hear back in a week or 2. Had my peer phone interview few weeks ago, so what else do they need lol?
I haven't been contacted... I emailed to see if it is required for an admissions decision to be made. blah I really hope not because then who knows when I will hear

I grew up in the SUNY Downstate neighborhood, JFK is usually the airport I fly into, but an uber will be about $30. GA wont be much different. Newark is MUCH farther, but if you add 1.5-2hrs onto your trip you can get to SUNY Downstate cheap. There is a NJTtransit train that will that you from Newark to Penn Station, then you can take the subway to Brooklyn. That will cost you right around $10. So up to you whether you would rather a shorter or a cheaper trip.

Okay, thanks everyone for the information! You've all been super helpful!

185u4c.jpg

All of us early-September interviewees

just received an email saying I should expect a student to contact me soon (interviewed Oct. 11)

anyone have any tips for this? is it an interview or more a conversation? the email calls it a “peer-to-peer conversation.” just trying to figure out if I need to review my interview notes beforehand

just received an email saying I should expect a student to contact me soon (interviewed Oct. 11)

anyone have any tips for this? is it an interview or more a conversation? the email calls it a “peer-to-peer conversation.” just trying to figure out if I need to review my interview notes beforehand

My call was very casual. The encounter is added to your file so take it seriously, and the students do have scripted questions to ask. The objective of the call seemed to try and suss out if you are a good culture fit for the school.

I just received that email Friday too after reaching out again. I interviewed end of Sept. Still haven't gotten the call though :) :) :)

Has anyone given the admissions office a call and asked when decisions would start rolling out? I did the student interview about a month ago and still haven't heard anything back yet :/

Has anyone given the admissions office a call and asked when decisions would start rolling out? I did the student interview about a month ago and still haven't heard anything back yet :/

+1 on the timing

Just called admissions about decisions: "we anticipate that happening in the next week or two"

Reactions: 5 users
General consensus of those that interviewed, do you need to be contacted by a peer to peer interviewer before they will make a decision? Admissions didn't really give me a clear answer

General consensus of those that interviewed, do you need to be contacted by a peer to peer interviewer before they will make a decision? Admissions didn't really give me a clear answer
Pretty sure you do

ACCEPTED!

Email of prelim notification

Reactions: 10 users
Just got the acceptance email y'all

Reactions: 7 users
LOL literally the most emotionless acceptance email ever. Accepted! Interviewed in mid September!

Reactions: 7 users
Can some of you please say when you had your peer conversations?

I love how anti climatic/almost passive aggressive the acceptance email is

Reactions: 3 users
Can some of you please say when you had your peer conversations?
Sure buddy. Peer conversation: October 2nd. Interviewed: Sept. 6. Have you tried calling the admissions office yet? I commiserate with you since I know how bad this waiting sucks.

Sure buddy. Peer conversation: October 2nd. Interviewed: Sept. 6. Have you tried calling the admissions office yet? I commiserate with you since I know how bad this waiting sucks.
It looks like today was acceptances only so a decision (hold or rejection) could have been made but not released yet :(

Accepted ! Hallelujah I thought I bombed this interview! Interview was on 9/5

Reactions: 5 users
I was put on hold today, they said deferred until spring. Interviewed mid September