2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the LOR requirements for those that are still in undergrad but do not have a committee or access to letter packets?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone count summers in between years of undergrad for the first question regarding 3-month periods of time not employed or in school full-time? I'm not sure if the 3-month specification is akin to the typical "if you had extended gaps in education or work, please explain" type of question

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to pay yet? I submitted 2 weeks ago, and whenever I log in I get
"
The Office of Admissions is in the process of setting up your record in the student information system. After the process is completed, you may pay your processing fee. Sign out and return later to pay.

If this persists for more than 3 days, contact the Office of Admissions via email at [email protected]. Be sure to include your AAMC ID. "

I emailed them last week and they never responded...

they were very helpful when I called them.

I had no issues paying, fwiw.

Has anyone been able to pay yet? I submitted 2 weeks ago, and whenever I log in I get
"
The Office of Admissions is in the process of setting up your record in the student information system. After the process is completed, you may pay your processing fee. Sign out and return later to pay.

If this persists for more than 3 days, contact the Office of Admissions via email at [email protected]. Be sure to include your AAMC ID. "

I emailed them last week and they never responded...

Yes, I submitted and paid at the same time on 7/6. I would try calling directly

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 15 to July 1.

Is this referring to this upcoming year or the past year? I took a gap year before applying so I'm not sure which time the question refers to.

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 15 to July 1.

Is this referring to this upcoming year or the past year? I took a gap year before applying so I'm not sure which time the question refers to.

Pretty sure this is referring to the upcoming year (from now until matriculation if we get in).

Reactions: 1 user
after submitting secondary- how long until confirmation email was received?

Members don't see this ad :)
One day. Submitted 7/12 complete next day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

would someone mind explaining to me what they mean by "personal support system" in the secondary? I took it to mean as who is going to be there to help you if something goes wrong kind of thing, am I right orrrrrrr

would someone mind explaining to me what they mean by "personal support system" in the secondary? I took it to mean as who is going to be there to help you if something goes wrong kind of thing, am I right orrrrrrr
That's what I interpreted it as.

Applied MD-MPH last cycle and got in! It's commonly said here at Downstate by the students that it is easier to get in when you apply MD/MPH on AMCAS. It makes sense, considering the neighborhood Downstate is located in and the heavy focus on public health research here. When I saw someone comparing the MD and MD/MPH average GPA and MCAT stats for UMiami on reddit, it made even more sense, since the MD class had higher stats than the MPH class. Good luck!

MD/MPH: MD-MPH Class of 2021 - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
MD: MD Class of 2021 - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Ugh now I wish that I had said md/mph! I intend on doing that, but I wasnt sure if it was more or less competitive...... do you think its too late to go back and say that's what I want to do or should i just accept it as is

I actually did not initially apply as MD/MPH - I went back to my AMCAS app and changed it. It allowed me to do so even after I submitted it.
Did you already submit your secondary though? I've already submitted all of those...

[QUOTE="cj1143, post: 19175295

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it was after I submitted my secondary, about 2 weeks after? Downstate was the first secondary I submitted since it was so short during my cycle. If you're worried, feel free to shoot them an e-mail to their medadmissions address.

Thanks so much! Just changed my AMCAS. Did you end up going to downstate?

Really have my heart set on this school! Hoping for the best!!
I wouldn't have your heart set before you get the interview lol, most schools are very low yield its a ****ing crapshoot.

I wouldn't have your heart set before you get the interview lol, most schools are very low yield its a ****ing crapshoot.
Lol well yes of course, I just meant I love this school and it's close to home. I have my heart set on literally ANY school, but this one would be especially awesome

Lol well yes of course, I just meant I love this school and it's close to home. I have my heart set on literally ANY school, but this one would be especially awesome
Ok yeah, its hard to see what you mean on this forum lol

Hey everyone, I just got an email stating that they "have received the necessary documents and fee (or fee waiver) to forward your application for an initial review", but I know that one of my letter writers hasn't submitted my letter yet (submitting on Friday). Does anyone know if they'll consider me for an II before the letter gets in, or is this just them seeing if they can screen me out? Thanks.

II! Received via e-mail today around 4:20ish. completed 7/3.

Reactions: 2 users
II here as well! :D complete late July!

Reactions: 3 users
II, Tri-state area OOS, Complete in mid July, Crying.

II! Received via e-mail today around 4:20ish. completed 7/3.

II here as well! :D complete late July!

II, Tri-state area OOS, Complete in mid July, Crying.

Congrats all! Hoping to join you soon!

Warning - Shameless II Tracker project plug:

If you'd like to add to the II Tracker I've put together, I'd be much obliged! I hope we can compile some good data by the end of the cycle! Links are in my signature.

Just did!! Thanks for your hard work, man! Sending good II vibes your way:)

Congrats all! Hoping to join you soon!

Warning - Shameless II Tracker project plug:

If you'd like to add to the II Tracker I've put together, I'd be much obliged! I hope we can compile some good data by the end of the cycle! Links are in my signature.

II... first of the new cycle...complete a week or so ago

Reactions: 4 users
II! First one!! Was just getting home from work, made some nachos and casually spilled them on the floor due to excitement lol

II as well! Complete 3rd week of July! Best of luck to everybody!!!!

Just got an II - In state!

Last edited:
awesome, congrats ! what date did you get? It would be awesome to meet the man/woman who created the interview tracker!

Thanks!

That's the one date I'll play close to the chest ;)!

But I'll probably be the only white dog interviewing that day.

Thanks!

That's the one date I'll play close to the chest ;)!

But I'll probably be the only white dog interviewing that day.

and the mystery continues!

Well best of luck to you and here's to more IIs on the way for us both

II Today!!! First one! Complete 7/6 OOS

just got my first MD II!! complete 7/27, IS.

II!!!! One of my top choices!!!! complete 7/18!