2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in early October and the admissions committee met November 7. I received AWPA in the mail on Monday so the letters for the most recent meeting have been sent.

Members don't see this ad.

My letter was dated on November 8th, 2017. I assume if you didn't receive one then you'll be getting one in December.
I was taking about acceptance. I interviewed early October and got the AWPA notification a month ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was taking about acceptance. I interviewed early October and got the AWPA notification a month ago.
Acceptances have not gone out yet. Depends on the year, but the first batch is usually split between half of the first batch of acceptances going out before Thanksgiving with the other half early December. The first batch of acceptances will have all been sent by the second week of December.

Okay I guess I was confused because you said letters and I'm pretty sure acceptances are through e-mail. I could be wrong though

Okay I guess I was confused because you said letters and I'm pretty sure acceptances are through e-mail. I could be wrong though
You are correct, I only asked because it could be the case that some people had gotten acceptance emails but not me.

Acceptances are originally sent via e-mail with a snail mail packet that follows a few days later.

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptances are originally sent via e-mail with a snail mail packet that follows a few days later.
Got it. Thank you! Hey I also had a question for you. Do you think a PBL curriculum like the one at SIU is effective in preparing students for the boards exam? Are there any major cons in your opinion? Also, do you know how the school does on average for Step I?

Got it. Thank you! Hey I also had a question for you. Do you think a PBL curriculum like the one at SIU is effective in preparing students for the boards exam? Are there any major cons in your opinion? Also, do you know how the school does on average for Step I?
I believe it is. The first year is much more PBL heavy, but the required PBL meetings second year are much less, giving you more time to study for boards. I do believe it helps you develop a good self-learning technique that is invaluable during dedicated board study periods. PBL is something that you either love or you hate, but it is required here at SIU, so if you are willing to put in the effort during those sessions, you can get a ton out of it even though it may not be your preferred way to learn; we are truly a "you get out what you put in" type of environment.

I don't know the scores for Step 1, but at least with my class I haven't heard of anyone failing and you can search our previous year's match list on the website and we do match to some amazing programs and some very competitive specialties. SIU does not let you sit for Step 1 unless you pass every unit during your first and second year, so it seems those that pass all the courses seem to pass Step and match to their preferred specialty!

One thing that has come up during my residency interviews thus far is how well SIU prepares students for the clinical side of things. I've talked with many current SIU graduates in residency programs and they all believe that they started residency with a leg-up on their peers in clinical skills thanks to SIU's clinically-focused curriculum and early exposure during M1 and M2.

Are the interviews typically an hour each? And I seem to have an interview before lunch and one after, is that similar to some of the experiences other people have had?

Are the interviews typically an hour each? And I seem to have an interview before lunch and one after, is that similar to some of the experiences other people have had?
Exactly mine

You have two interviews. Each anywhere from 30 min- 1hr. Most likely 45 min.

Has anyone in the AWPA list received an acceptance email? Maybe they are just going to send them in dec...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in the AWPA list received an acceptance email? Maybe they are just going to send them in dec...
Nothing here either, AWPA since early October.

Hey everyone,

Current M3 here. If you got any questions about the application process or school feel free to hit me up.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey everyone,

Current M3 here. If you got any questions about the application process or school feel free to hit me up.

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!
With SIU having a small-ish class size relative to other schools, is it a very close-knit environment? Does the PBL curriculum help you guys bond (or maybe makes you guys sick of each other lol :poke:)
I went to a huge high school and now huge university so not much experience with small class sizes.

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!
With SIU having a small-ish class size relative to other schools, is it a very close-knit environment? Does the PBL curriculum help you guys bond (or maybe makes you guys sick of each other lol :poke:)
I went to a huge high school and now huge university so not much experience with small class sizes.

I think the small class size definitely helps foster some great relationships, and while people can get annoying at times, I think overall I'm glad I went to a smaller school. Definitely more one on one interaction with faculty and staff. And if you are worried about getting sick of each other, when third year comes around, everyone is so busy, you don't see people nearly as often haha

Hi all, I'm another MS4 at SIU and am happy to help answer ANY questions you may have. I'm usually a bit more active and apologize for my absence, but I'm glad to see @ncklkrt has been sticking around despite being on the interview trail! Thanks for your insights as well @hpsm2016, hopefully you can carry the torch for us in next year's thread.

Hi all, I'm another MS4 at SIU and am happy to help answer ANY questions you may have. I'm usually a bit more active and apologize for my absence, but I'm glad to see @ncklkrt has been sticking around despite being on the interview trail! Thanks for your insights as well @hpsm2016, hopefully you can carry the torch for us in next year's thread.
Hi, do you have any idea when the first half of the first batch of acceptances off the AWPA list is coming out. We were hoping for the days before thanksgiving but nothing yet :/

Hi, do you have any idea when the first half of the first batch of acceptances off the AWPA list is coming out. We were hoping for the days before thanksgiving but nothing yet :/
From my last correspondence with Beth, they were attempting to get it out prior to Thanksgiving. The first half could be released this week, otherwise the full first batch will be next week around their Dec 5 meeting.

Reactions: 2 users

Out of town currently but I'll be back Thursday. I'll check with her then if everyone is still waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

Do you know if one interviewer (ex:the admissions committee member) has more of a day than the other interviewer in whether or not a student is accepted?

Hey, have you checked yet?

First half of batch #1 went out before Thanksgiving break. Second half will be out soon after Dec. 5 mtg. Good luck everyone, still many more seats to fill.

@Pasmal Do you happen to know when the AdCom will be meeting again to discuss interviews and determine who will be placed on the AWPA list?

@Pasmal Do you happen to know when the AdCom will be meeting again to discuss interviews and determine who will be placed on the AWPA list?
I know that they meet on January 9 to discuss my interview date. I believe they also are meeting on December 5.

Today, December 5 and January 9 are the next meetings. Today will decide AWPA as well as the rest of the first batch acceptances.

Today, December 5 and January 9 are the next meetings. Today will decide AWPA as well as the rest of the first batch acceptances.
How do acceptances go out? Snail mail? Also thank you so much for answering all of our neurotic questions to the best of your ability! Really helps put the old keyed up mind at ease :nod:

How do acceptances go out? Snail mail? Also thank you so much for answering all of our neurotic questions to the best of your ability! Really helps put the old keyed up mind at ease :nod:

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they send an e-mail right away and then a snail mail packet later! I’m not sure how soon after their meeting they send out the emails, but I think it’s definitely within 24 hours :)

I am a little confused, do people already have hard acceptances? Sounds like they are meeting today for maybe half the list. Maybe just nobody on here got an acceptance or they didn't post?

I am a little confused, do people already have hard acceptances? Sounds like they are meeting today for maybe half the list. Maybe just nobody on here got an acceptance or they didn't post?
I've been wondering the same thing. Apparently first half of acceptances went out before Thanksgiving break. I'm just guessing that no one on here from the AWPA list has been accepted. :/

Correct. The first half of the first batch of acceptances have went out. They most likely haven't posted on here about receiving one. Acceptances go out via e-mail usually within a day or two of their meeting, so keep an eye on your inbox through the end of the work week, as the initial batch will know of their acceptance by Friday at the latest. If you don't hear anything by the end of the week, it's likely you were not accepted during the first batch.

They also snail mail you a large packet once you're accepted with a lot of paperwork and information. I received my acceptance e-mail December 3, 2013 which was the afternoon of their meeting that week.

I was wondering about how many classes are mandatory per week the first year. When I interviewed, the medical student said very few classes were mandatory. I just wanted to know an approximate number.

Hello everyone! I was accepted last cycle (2016-2017), but deferred my acceptance one year. Now that the first half of the first batch for this cycle have gone out, I thought I'd ask if a Facebook group has been created, and if so, how could those of us accepted (or deferred from last year) join?

I was wondering about how many classes are mandatory per week the first year. When I interviewed, the medical student said very few classes were mandatory. I just wanted to know an approximate number.
Very few is the best you're going to get as each week has a different number of lectures. Some weeks have a lot of required courses and other weeks you only have to be there for your PBL sessions. All doctoring classes are required, as well as any orientation things, and if there's a guest lecturer of any sort.

Hello everyone! I was accepted last cycle (2016-2017), but deferred my acceptance one year. Now that the first half of the first batch for this cycle have gone out, I thought I'd ask if a Facebook group has been created, and if so, how could those of us accepted (or deferred from last year) join?
Not yet, they usually wait until all 3 batch acceptances have gone out before creating the group. It is made by the admissions staff in late February, usually.

Can anyone confirm if the final half has gone out? I know it has been stated that it should be by Friday but just curious.

Can anyone confirm if the final half has gone out? I know it has been stated that it should be by Friday but just curious.
My optimistic side says maybe the email got lost because of lack of net neutrality (I know nothings changed yet lol). My realistic side says I'll be waiting another few months.

No emails from SIU here. Was hoping for some love as I grew up right outside of Springfield, but I suppose there were some all-star applicants sitting in the top ~25 spots of the AWPA list. Time to bunker down for a few more long months of waiting and neurotically checking my emails lol.

I'm extremely surprised that not one of us from here was accepted in the first batch. Better luck to us in the next batch of acceptances. Let's keep our heads up, though! :)

Does anybody know roughly how many people are named onto the AWPA list? I feel like it's subject to change but according to their website they interview roughly 300 per year and send out roughly 150 acceptances. I was told they haven't made it all the way through the AWPA list in almost 10 years, so is it safe to say the majority of interviewees make AWPA?

Does anybody know roughly how many people are named onto the AWPA list? I feel like it's subject to change but according to their website they interview roughly 300 per year and send out roughly 150 acceptances. I was told they haven't made it all the way through the AWPA list in almost 10 years, so is it safe to say the majority of interviewees make AWPA?
I don't think anyone can say for sure but looking at past threads it looks to be about a 70% accept rate off of AWPA. So if I did the math right that's about 210 people AWPA each cycle give or take a few.

I don't think anyone can say for sure but looking at past threads it looks to be about a 70% accept rate off of AWPA. So if I did the math right that's about 210 people AWPA each cycle give or take a few.
I would guess around that number as well. Only the people in admissions know the exact number and it's not one they share. A large majority of interviewees are put on the AWPA list, but it's also correct that it has not been exhausted in many years. The entering class is usually around 75 students and they generally send out acceptances to about 150.

I would guess around that number as well. Only the people in admissions know the exact number and it's not one they share. A large majority of interviewees are put on the AWPA list, but it's also correct that it has not been exhausted in many years. The entering class is usually around 75 students and they generally send out acceptances to about 150.
Do they send out the 150 acceptances in the first three batches or do they fill the 75 seats and send out additional acceptances afterwards?

Sorry for living in the realm of theory, but this school is my top choice and I like to reassure myself on a regular basis since I haven't been accepted as of now :happy:

Do they send out the 150 acceptances in the first three batches or do they fill the 75 seats and send out additional acceptances afterwards?

Sorry for living in the realm of theory, but this school is my top choice and I like to reassure myself on a regular basis since I haven't been accepted as of now :happy:
The first three batches are 25 acceptances each for a total of 75. The others are sent out on a rolling basis after the last batch and around the multi-accept deadline as others decline their acceptance.