2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone get straight accepted right off the bat or only AWPA? Interviewing Oct. 6 and just curious to know what the waiting process entails!

Only AWPA for now. I think the first acceptances are later this year in November or December.

Reactions: 1 users
So just being a little neurotic since I just wanna get an acceptance and give them my money, but curious to see if current students know if the percentage of participants who get off the AWPA list has changed. Given a larger applicant pool does someone have an estimate? I remember Beth saying they haven't exhausted the AWPA list in years
That's correct. The year I applied (4 years ago) it was ~75%. I would hazard to guess it's closer to the 60% mark, however I am unable to get the exact percentages and only admission members know for sure.

Only AWPA is given after interviews, with batch acceptances going out in December, February, and March, then rolling admissions thereafter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
haven't got II yet..anyone else waiting for interview ?
I would call to check that all pieces of your supplemental application have been received in admissions. SIU doesn't send out "complete" notices by email, and when I called to check on the status of my materials they alluded that an interview was coming my way in a couple of days (and it did). Hope this helps!

For those in consideration in the October 3rd group, here's to hoping for an AWPA in the mail before the end of the week!

Reactions: 3 users
Received the AWPA letter in the mail today, but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm. I know someone who also received this status last year in early October and never got accepted. Congrats to everyone else who received theirs this week!

Received the AWPA letter in the mail today, but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm. I know someone who also received this status last year in early October and never got accepted. Congrats to everyone else who received theirs this week!
I also received my AWPA in October, but was accepted during the first batch in December! :) Let yourself be proud and celebrate as AWPA is an accomplishment in itself. Just like the initial med school applications, waiting is the hardest part, but you'll come to realize many parts of medicine follow the same "hurry up and wait." Congratulations to all of you who have gotten AWPA thus far!

AWPA!!! I'm so ****ing stoked! Still kind of a teaser since I have to wait for an official acceptance and it's not guaranteed yet, but happy to ahve made it this far. Really hope I get to come here!

What's an AWPA?

What's an AWPA?
An AWPA means Accept When Place Available, and from my understanding it means that SIU places students it deems acceptable for their medical class on this AWPA LIST which is ranked based on your application and interview. They accept 1/3 of the class in three batches through the early spring, and then admissions is on a rolling basis following that, going down the list in order of rank for acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview?

@ncklkrt

What carries more weight for those applicants placed on the AWPA list for chances of acceptance; high level of extracurricular involvement or significant ties or experiences in Southern and Central Illinois?

Not entirely sure if you have access to that type of information or have any anecdotal evidence from speaking with classmates, I am just interested to know the breadth of experiences or level of involvement for an accepted student.

@ncklkrt

What carries more weight for those applicants placed on the AWPA list for chances of acceptance; high level of extracurricular involvement or significant ties or experiences in Southern and Central Illinois?

Not entirely sure if you have access to that type of information or have any anecdotal evidence from speaking with classmates, I am just interested to know the breadth of experiences or level of involvement for an accepted student.
Those are top-secret values, unfortunately. Only those making the AWPA list know for sure. I can say, however, that those without strong ties to the region generally need to sincerely express interest in the region, including beyond the four years of medical school, and usually have more extracurricular activities to make up for their regional difference. In terms of my class, we have people that have gone on health mission trips prior to school, leaders of volunteering, previous medical work experience (scribe, EMT, RN, etc.) to also those like myself who didn't have a ton of extracurricular activities, but I worked full-time throughout undergrad and it seemed my interviewers really liked that, although it wasn't curing cancer in rural Africa or anything.

The admissions people do a great job at evaluating the whole person - if you're lacking in one area, but make up for it in another, you're still a viable candidate. For your specific question, that would mean a high level of extracurricular involvement would make up for weak ties to the area whereas strong ties to the area would make up for lower extracurriculars.

I submitted my secondary on 9/20 and haven't heard anything.. should I call the school or is that frowned upon?

I submitted my secondary on 9/20 and haven't heard anything.. should I call the school or is that frowned upon?
Not frowned upon - our admissions staff is quite nice and is used to answering these sorts of questions! (217) 545-6013 is the Springfield SIUMED admissions phone number. Good luck!

I interviewed September 20th- any idea when the next committee meeting is that will decide if I get an AWPA? Thanks!

I interviewed September 20th- any idea when the next committee meeting is that will decide if I get an AWPA? Thanks!

That's odd that you haven't heard anything. I would have guessed you would have been reviewed when they met the first week of October. Can you remember what date/timeline you were given on the day of your interview?

If you remember being told October, I would shoot an email over to admissions saying you haven't heard anything. If you do not remember what dates they gave, I would still send a polite email to admissions asking for clarification on when your group of interviewees will be reviewed. They are very nice and receptive in answering any questions prospective students have!

I called SIU Admissions today and Sarah said that they just mailed decisions for people who Interviewed sept 25th(me), so they should get to the recipients by the end of the week. I’m not sure whether people who interviewed on the 20th are included there as well. I’d call if you are curious and absolutely need to know. Good luck :)

I remember them saying the committee would meet sometime near the end of October, but I can't remember the exact date. I will call this morning. Thanks you guys!

Due to LOR fiasco I was complete very late September. But got an interview <10 days after complete. There is hope!

@ncklkrt Does SIU SOM require a certain amount of undergrad English credits before matriculation?

Does anyone know when the next letters go out?

I know the admissions committee meets November 7 and then they mail letters! I think the first actual acceptances go out right around thanksgiving.

Do you guys know how many people they have interviewed so far? And how many people are usually there for the interview per day?

Do you guys know how many people they have interviewed so far? And how many people are usually there for the interview per day?
I know that interview groups are no bigger than 3 people, but I don't know the answer to your first question.

Oh got it. I thought it'd be around 15-30 people. Are interviews normally on Fridays?

Oh got it. I thought it'd be around 15-30 people. Are interviews normally on Fridays?
Three people max per interview day, and we interview 4 days a week pretty much throughout the interview season. Nobody knows how many total they interview except the admissions people.

@ncklkrt any idea when the first round of acceptances will go out? It looks like year to year it can range from before Thanksgiving to after December 1st. Thanks!

Does anyone know the odds of being accepted (or AWPA) after receiving an interview invite?

@ncklkrt any idea when the first round of acceptances will go out? It looks like year to year it can range from before Thanksgiving to after December 1st. Thanks!
Per admissions: The first batch of acceptances will probably go out sometime around Thanksgiving to the first part of December

Does anyone know the odds of being accepted (or AWPA) after receiving an interview invite?
Per admissions: After they come for an interview it just depends on their file presentation (both interview summaries, application, letters of recommendation, etc.....) at our committee meeting about getting placed on the AWPA list.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell an exact number or ratio, as those are closed values.

@ncklkrt Do you know when the next set of letters go out about AWPA, ranked-alt, etc..?
The admissions meeting should be this week sometime and some letters are sent before the Thanksgiving holiday. December 5 would be the one following.

AWPA today!! So excited about this news. Definitely a top choice for me :)

The admissions meeting should be this week sometime and some letters are sent before the Thanksgiving holiday. December 5 would be the one following.
Do you know whether they met last week and whether there are already some letters sent out? Thanks

Do you know whether they met last week and whether there are already some letters sent out? Thanks
I don't know the exact answer but I looked back at the last few years of threads and it looks like the first round of letters come out sometime right before Thanksgiving or soon after that next week. Maybe we can expect the same?(....please?)

My letter was dated on November 8th, 2017. I assume if you didn't receive one then you'll be getting one in December.