2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompts
  • Essay question #1: SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission? Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.
  • Essay question #2: To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.
  • Essay question #3: If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
Southern Illinois University Interview Feedback
Interviewed at SIU? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary Prompts
  • Essay question #1: SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission? Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.
  • Essay question #2: To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.
  • Essay question #3: If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less

SIU Website Links
Admissions timeline
Admissions requirements
Admissions decisions explanation
Interview Day
Match results
FAQ

SDN Links
2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2016-2017 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

Quick Facts
Application timetable
Earliest date: June
Latest date: November 15
Acceptance timetable
Earliest date: November
Response deadline: 2 weeks after acceptance
Screening fee: $75
Oldest MCAT considered: 2015 MCAT for 2018 applications

Data from 2015-2016 cycle [2016 Entering Class]
MD Applications: 1,274
MD/JD applications: 74
Acceptances: 128 (10%)
Matriculants: 71
Mean age: 23 (20-30)
Mean GPA: 3.70
Mean MCAT: 506/31

I am an MS4 as of the 2017-2018 year here at SIU School of Medicine. Please feel free to ask any questions here or via private message. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Submitted yesterday and this is one of my top choices. Hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ncklkrt , Is there anywhere on the secondary to state ties to southern/central Illinois? I grew up in So Ill and shadow in some hospitals there. I thought there might be a question relating to that in the essays.

@ncklkrt , Is there anywhere on the secondary to state ties to southern/central Illinois? I grew up in So Ill and shadow in some hospitals there. I thought there might be a question relating to that in the essays.
The first secondary question addresses exactly that issue, if you look at the first big post :)

How do they implement PBL at SIU? It seems to be heavily practiced as I see it on the school website and have heard from students in the PA program. Do you still do some of the basic courses like Anatomy and Physiology the traditional or is it almost all PBL? What are the first 2 years like?

How do they implement PBL at SIU? It seems to be heavily practiced as I see it on the school website and have heard from students in the PA program. Do you still do some of the basic courses like Anatomy and Physiology the traditional or is it almost all PBL? What are the first 2 years like?
MS1: PBL 3 hours a day 3 days a week [M, W, F]; covering all material from that unit. SIU does systems-based education, meaning you learn everything about one system rather than all anatomy then all physiology, etc. Before/after PBL and during off days there are lectures covering the material from the PBL cases that week.
MS2: PBL 2 hours a day 2-3 times a week. Same structure as MS1.

Anatomy and Histology have lab components (cadavers, slides) to help you learn as well. You usually open a new case on Monday morning, develop learning issues from that case, then spend the rest of that week reading about and having lectures about the relevant information.

MS1: PBL 3 hours a day 3 days a week [M, W, F]; covering all material from that unit. SIU does systems-based education, meaning you learn everything about one system rather than all anatomy then all physiology, etc. Before/after PBL and during off days there are lectures covering the material from the PBL cases that week.
MS2: PBL 2 hours a day 2-3 times a week. Same structure as MS1.

Anatomy and Histology have lab components (cadavers, slides) to help you learn as well. You usually open a new case on Monday morning, develop learning issues from that case, then spend the rest of that week reading about and having lectures about the relevant information.

Oh ok, that sounds cool. I never really had PBL in my undergrad. I'm not quite sure how it's implemented in practical academic settings. Using as a reinforcement or in combination sounds like it could be effective. Definitely open to it.

@ncklkrt, I am looking to maximize my in-state options but am from and would prefer to stay in the city. Does SIU take these types of students? I know the school really values preparing physicians for rural medicine, so I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to fill out the secondary, especially considering EQ1.

@ncklkrt, I am looking to maximize my in-state options but am from and would prefer to stay in the city. Does SIU take these types of students? I know the school really values preparing physicians for rural medicine, so I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to fill out the secondary, especially considering EQ1.
It's worth it if you can genuinely express an interest / connection to a smaller location. Generally, preference is given to applicants who have a permanent address below the I-80 line and express interest in a rural area. There are some students each year that are from bigger cities, but most have ties to smaller areas.

From the suburbs of Chicago, but really hopeful and excited to attend this school! Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying that my primary application was received and that they would be in contact with a decision in 4-6 weeks. Only 1/3 people get secondaries.

Got an email saying that my primary application was received and that they would be in contact with a decision in 4-6 weeks. Only 1/3 people get secondaries.
If you don't mind, when did you receive your confirmation?

Verified 6/14 and still nothing. No love for suburban kids :(

Hmmm...idk maybe it's random. I'm from the Chicago burbs too. I would expect that everyone will receive that email at some point, probably within the next week. I was actually surprised to get this notice so soon because I feel like I've been the last to receive secondaries for every other school, haha.

Haven't gotten anything and from Chicago suburbs as well. Gotten almost all my other secondaries so hope I get this one...

I'm from the city of Chicago (~Southside~) and I've got nothing either! So no love for Chicago itself or its surrounding areas, it seems lol

Hmmm...idk maybe it's random. I'm from the Chicago burbs too. I would expect that everyone will receive that email at some point, probably within the next week. I was actually surprised to get this notice so soon because I feel like I've been the last to receive secondaries for every other school, haha.

Do you live south of 80 now?

Edit: just got that email. Chi resident but from down south.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got the email acknowledging my application. Hope I get the secondary. I wouldn't mind for some other schools but I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't here.

I got the email acknowledging my application. Hope I get the secondary. I wouldn't mind for some other schools but I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't here.
+2 finally

I have residence in Champaign, IL, but my (temporarily) permanent address listed on the AMCAS primary is in San Diego, CA. This is because I had to move back in with my parents after graduating college for financial reasons. I still have an Illinois driver's license. Do you think I would get love from this school or would they screen me based on my permanent address. I listed my residence as Illinois on the primary.

I have residence in Champaign, IL, but my (temporarily) permanent address listed on the AMCAS primary is in San Diego, CA. This is because I had to move back in with my parents after graduating college for financial reasons. I still have an Illinois driver's license. Do you think I would get love from this school or would they screen me based on my permanent address. I listed my residence as Illinois on the primary.

Temporarily permanent address? Seeing as they interviewed 0 out of state, I would say it's worth calling the admissions and explaining your situation. Even then it is a bit of a longshot with the Cali I am guessing.

Just got the secondary! Woot woot! Thanks SIU for showing Chicago's South Side some love~

So i'm filling out the secondary right now and I'm having trouble filling in the permanent address part. I'm putting my campus address as the mailing address, but when I put in my permanent address it doesn't let me put in the state. Also, for the advising/chair information, is that only if you school has a commitee or something? My school, UIUC, has pre-med advisors, but I've never really used their services so does it look bad if I leave that blank?

So i'm filling out the secondary right now and I'm having trouble filling in the permanent address part. I'm putting my campus address as the mailing address, but when I put in my permanent address it doesn't let me put in the state. Also, for the advising/chair information, is that only if you school has a commitee or something? My school, UIUC, has pre-med advisors, but I've never really used their services so does it look bad if I leave that blank?
Your permanent address is assumed to be in Illinois, given the school's mission. If you're unsure you can always call the admissions office M-F for a quick chat for clarification. And yes, you fill that out if you had a committee letter. Doesn't look bad as some schools don't offer it.

Those who have submitted supplemental, did you receive email confirmation or an email detailing your submission yet? Also, was there supposed to be a signature form this year?

Those who have submitted supplemental, did you receive email confirmation or an email detailing your submission yet? Also, was there supposed to be a signature form this year?
I didn't receive any confirmation e-mail, but I had to call admissions about the fee waiver and she indicated that she received my supplemental, so I assume that means it went through and is complete. Just give them a call if you're curious, they're pretty friendly.

I didn't receive any confirmation e-mail, but I had to call admissions about the fee waiver and she indicated that she received my supplemental, so I assume that means it went through and is complete. Just give them a call if you're curious, they're pretty friendly.
Alright thanks for the info. I will give them a call. Did you send off a signature form? It looks like in years past there has been a form to send with the check, but I did not see one to fill out.

SIU admissions often say it doesn't matter when you apply as they don't work on a rolling admission, so why is it "recommended that you submit your application as soon as possible" in the secondary e-mail? They do accept in waves so technically applying earlier might be helpful unless they only accept top percentiles in those earlier waves. I was going to wait for a later date to send this secondary in.. Might be overthinking this.
There's really no reason to wait for a later date "just because", either. The longer you wait to submit the secondary, the longer it will take the school to go through your application and reducing the available interview dates.

II received today!!!
Congrats. Very jealous. Haven't even gotten my secondary and you're already getting an interview.

Good luck with the interview! Be sure to let us know how it goes haha

Last edited:
Congrats. Very jealous. Haven't even gotten my secondary and you're already getting an interview.

It will come. It feels like it takes forever.

Don't worry, I get the feeling they're just getting started.

Don't worry, I get the feeling they're just getting started.
Correct. Only the first few batches of Interviews have been sent out. Will continue to ramp up through the fall!

Wait you really have to send a check? Tempted to just drive by Springfield to expedite and watch it switch hands lol.

II THIS MORNING!!! First MD interview I'm so excited I almost can't handle it!! Thanks for the love so far, SIU!

Reactions: 3 users