2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got waitlisted after ~5 weeks of waiting for the secondary. I heard they won't reject until the actual end of the year, but this is essentially it. Plus, who would want to write a secondary that late in the game anyway :/

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email and I guess I was given the status "screeners alternate". Didn't even know that was a thing but sounds like I'm basically on hold until the end of the year. Extremely disappointed I haven't even been given the chance to give them a secondary to show them more about myself.

Edit: After reading past threads it seems that I am basically rejected. Great.
Correct. Unfortunately, screener's alternate list rarely, if ever, gets used as we have so many applications that we usually don't even get through the entirety of the AWPA list. It's not to say it's impossible, but it is highly unlikely to get accepted off of the wait list or screener's alternate list. Once the application season dies down towards the spring you are more than welcome to e-mail or call to ask what you can do to better your application if you are planning on applying again the following cycle.

@ncklkrt Any insider prep advice for the interviews? Seems relatively low stress with individual interviews, any recommendations on how to shine? How will we recognize you on the tour without the stormtrooper helmet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wear my helmet everywhere and patients love it so just look for the stormtrooper! :) Kidding! I am going into pediatrics so that may not be quite far off from acceptable in the future ;P

For interviews: 1 interview will be with an admissions committee member who has no idea of your grades or scores and only has your statement. Mine was literally just a friendly conversation where we talked about my hobbies and interests. Her husband was really into motorcycles as I am and we talked about that for a solid 10-15 minutes. Very chill and laid back, basically a test to see if you're a human being capable of holding a basic conversation (which surprisingly, some people are not!)

The other interview will be with someone who has your entire file including scores. They will ask you the typical interview questions including "Why SIU" "Why medicine", etc. Answering "because I want to help people" won't cut it. I'm unsure if the questions have changed but my interview also consisted of a couple ethical questions regarding health insurance or patient advocacy so it would be smart to brush up on common health ethical problems in today's medical communities.

In general, it's good advice to be sure you know the school's mission statement and answer questions accordingly.

Also, be yourself! The admissions members have done thousands of interviews and can see through facades. Practice makes perfect!

Finally, the hour-long tour during the middle of interview day has NO impact on your admissions decision. It's provided by an upperclassman who has no access to any of the applicants' files. Use this time to ask about the fun things - like what medical students like to do for fun, where we hang out, how we deal with classwork, our thoughts on the program, etc.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist before / after interviews. I am not on the admissions committee but act as a liaison through them and would be happy to assist in any way possible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview experience at SIU was phenomenal and I'm really hoping for an acceptance (AWPA for now). Everyone was beyond friendly and my interviewers were the nicest people around. So amazed at this school's commitment to its students and their success. Would love to go here!

Reactions: 3 users
My interview experience at SIU was phenomenal and I'm really hoping for an acceptance (AWPA for now). Everyone was beyond friendly and my interviewers were the nicest people around. So amazed at this school's commitment to its students and their success. Would love to go here!

Does Springfield have uber? I will be taking a train.

Does Springfield have uber? I will be taking a train.
We sure do! :D

Also, I had the pleasure of giving a tour this week and it went very well, and it seems to be the consensus from the other tour guides this week - keep up all the hard work everyone and best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same experience. Everyone was so nice and hospitable. I can not express how wonderful and nice my two interviewers were. My tour guide was also super welcoming and provided excellent information. I can't wait for the rest of this process.

We sure do! :D

Also, I had the pleasure of giving a tour this week and it went very well, and it seems to be the consensus from the other tour guides this week - keep up all the hard work everyone and best of luck to you all!

I interviewed this week and can say with 100% confidence that this is my #1 choice! Everyone was so helpful and friendly. My tour guide was also pretty cool. Glad to know you guys have enjoyed it as well.

Chicago resident here... still no secondary and I submitted my primary on 8/7...

Chicago resident here... still no secondary and I submitted my primary on 8/7...
Remember it can take 4-6 weeks at this point in the cycle as SIU does screen before secondaries. It's only been three weeks, and I know waiting is the hardest part but hang in there!

Does SIU wait until all LORs are received before screening an application, in order to offer a secondary?

Does SIU wait until all LORs are received before screening an application, in order to offer a secondary?
From Admissions:
We don’t wait on letters to send out a secondary application but we do wait for letters before we send out an invitation to interview.
Once they’ve been offered a secondary, they have until February 1st to get in their $75 fee, the actual supp app and letters of recommendation

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed my interview here! Everyone was incredibly friendly. Can any current students talk about the research opportunities at the school? Is it possible to do research other than summer between the first and second year? Thanks!

I really enjoyed my interview here! Everyone was incredibly friendly. Can any current students talk about the research opportunities at the school? Is it possible to do research other than summer between the first and second year? Thanks!
Yes, you can do research whenever you like and it is recommended if you're considering a competitive specialty. Most people use the summer to network and get in touch with professors then continue to do research with those some instructors through third and fourth year. Research during first year, especially during the first half, is not recommended as the school would prefer you spend your time making sure you succeed in school before branching off for research projects.

Most research starts by simply sending out a few e-mails, getting to know the faculty, and diving in. There are a few lists that the school circulates that lists available research positions, but a large majority of people "cold-call" and get set up at the beginning of second year and continue through graduation.

To those who have already interviewed at SIU, did any of your interviewers give you trouble or attempt to rattle you? My second one-on-one interviewer showed very little interest throughout the entire interview. He also did not like any of the thoughtful answers I gave for the questions regarding Illinois/National healthcare, many of which I had thoroughly discussed with physicians I had shadowed in the area. Upon finishing with my answers he would change bits and pieces of the question, in what I assume was his attempt to steer me to a certain answer he had in mind (which he would then proceed to talk about for five or so minutes).

Everything else about the interview day was fantastic, especially my first one-on-one interview and I am hoping for AWPA come October, but this interview just left a bad taste in my mouth.

To those who have already interviewed at SIU, did any of your interviewers give you trouble or attempt to rattle you? My second one-on-one interviewer showed very little interest throughout the entire interview. He also did not like any of the thoughtful answers I gave for the questions regarding Illinois/National healthcare, many of which I had thoroughly discussed with physicians I had shadowed in the area. Upon finishing with my answers he would change bits and pieces of the question, in what I assume was his attempt to steer me to a certain answer he had in mind (which he would then proceed to talk about for five or so minutes).

Everything else about the interview day was fantastic, especially my first one-on-one interview and I am hoping for AWPA come October, but this interview just left a bad taste in my mouth.

This is eerily similar to my experience. The entire day was fantastic until my second interview. My second interviewer, the non-admissions committee member, seemed like they didn't want to be there and had no interest in the process. The entire interview lasted fifteen minutes... This was in stark contrast to everyone else at SIU though. My first interviewer and everyone I encountered was incredibly friendly and enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, mine was the opposite. It was the committee member who was more strict and didn't want to deviate from the questions. My second interview was switched at the last minute and even though the interviewer didn't plan on meeting with me, she was the kindest person and made me even more excited to go to school there!

Strangely enough, mine was the opposite. It was the committee member who was more strict and didn't want to deviate from the questions. My second interview was switched at the last minute and even though the interviewer didn't plan on meeting with me, she was the kindest person and made me even more excited to go to school there!

Mine went like this as well. The adcom member wasn't rude or uninterested rather nice, but she clearly had questions she had to ask so she was more strict (less conversational)

That's generally how the SIU interviews are set up. One interview is with a person who only has your personal statement and is more a conversational interview. The other person has your entire file and has specific questions they need to ask, which can feel more strict. The order is different depending on the day, but all applicants will have 1 of each.

How did you guys know which interviewer was adcom? Is that the one with the entire app? Similar experience, one person had app, other was more conversational. I thought both went well, but one was short which worried me. Another month or so of waiting!

How did you guys know which interviewer was adcom? Is that the one with the entire app? Similar experience, one person had app, other was more conversational. I thought both went well, but one was short which worried me. Another month or so of waiting!

Mine straight up told me, but both interviewers asked me about things on my app so I was kind of confused. And doesn't the adcom meet today?

If we interviewed in August (8/24) aren't we supposed to hear back this week?

If we interviewed in August (8/24) aren't we supposed to hear back this week?
Yes, Beth mentioned that the committee will be meeting today, September 12. Assuming letters go out today or tomorrow, those who were reviewed should have a letter in the mail by the weekend or early next week.

I was very slightly later than 8/24 and they mentioned early October. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised

Yes, Beth mentioned that the committee will be meeting today, September 12. Assuming letters go out today or tomorrow, those who were reviewed should have a letter in the mail by the weekend or early next week.
Thanks! The suspense is killing me!

Does anyone know if SIU takes letters of intent? Also, my interviewers gave me their cards, but I haven't taken the opportunity to follow up with them. If I interviewed a few weeks ago would it seem strange to follow up with them now? I wanted to keep my one interviewer up to date with my coursework, as they suggested I take a certain course. Is this not advisable?

Does anyone know if SIU takes letters of intent? Also, my interviewers gave me their cards, but I haven't taken the opportunity to follow up with them. If I interviewed a few weeks ago would it seem strange to follow up with them now? I wanted to keep my one interviewer up to date with my coursework, as they suggested I take a certain course. Is this not advisable?
They will take it but it has no significant impact, if any, on your application. You're more than welcome to make contact with any interviewers but it will not have any impact on your application as files are sealed after the interview unless they are waiting for other application documents.

Comet is correct in that the committee met today and first round of AWPA decisions will be mailed, and if you live near Springfield, should receive by the weekend.

Best of luck to everyone!

They will take it but it has no significant impact, if any, on your application. You're more than welcome to make contact with any interviewers but it will not have any impact on your application as files are sealed after the interview unless they are waiting for other application documents.

Comet is correct in that the committee met today and first round of AWPA decisions will be mailed, and if you live near Springfield, should receive by the weekend.

Best of luck to everyone!

No idea why I have Oct 3 written down since I interviewed late Aug. Do they send an AWPA or rejection/hold if you weren't' chosen for AWPA or do you just enter the cycle of adcom meetings to try again?

No idea why I have Oct 3 written down since I interviewed late Aug. Do they send an AWPA or rejection/hold if you weren't' chosen for AWPA or do you just enter the cycle of adcom meetings to try again?
I interviewed within the last week of August and they also mentioned that they would meet and discuss my application and interview October 3rd. They said we should have the decision in the mail by the end of the week following that meeting as well.

I interviewed within the last week of August and they also mentioned that they would meet and discuss my application and interview October 3rd. They said we should have the decision in the mail by the end of the week following that meeting as well.

Good to know I wasn't crazy. Maybe we will get surprised later this week with some news.

October 3 is correct for the late August interviews. They did meet yesterday but I cannot get information about the content of the meeting - if no news by the middle of next week, I assume they did not have enough applicants to make a decision until October 3. Regardless, the first big "batch" will be released after the next meeting on October 3.

Unfortunately, they do not send any notification unless you were placed on AWPA. If no decision is made, you will enter each month's meetings for a future AWPA. Rejections / holds are not usually delivered until later in the cycle as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a secondary after getting the acknowledgement email at the end of August?

October 3 is correct for the late August interviews. They did meet yesterday but I cannot get information about the content of the meeting - if no news by the middle of next week, I assume they did not have enough applicants to make a decision until October 3. Regardless, the first big "batch" will be released after the next meeting on October 3.

Unfortunately, they do not send any notification unless you were placed on AWPA. If no decision is made, you will enter each month's meetings for a future AWPA. Rejections / holds are not usually delivered until later in the cycle as well.

So you're saying we won't hear anything unless we get awpa? I thought Beth told us we would definitely be told our status by Monday (if not we should contact admissions).

So you're saying we won't hear anything unless we get awpa? I thought Beth told us we would definitely be told our status by Monday (if not we should contact admissions).
I would listen to Beth as she has the most up to date information. I hope all who have interviewed find out status by Monday!

Reactions: 2 users
Do you live close to Springfield? I'm 2 hours away and have nothing.
No, I am a closer to three hours away. It could be that your app was not in this meetings review. If you want to PM me, we can compare interview dates so you can get a better idea.

AWPA!!! I'm so ****ing stoked! Still kind of a teaser since I have to wait for an official acceptance and it's not guaranteed yet, but happy to ahve made it this far. Really hope I get to come here!

Reactions: 4 users
AWPA!!! So so happy right now!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to the AWPA peeps!

Just wanted to reiterate what everyone else said about their interview experiences. Both of mine were fantastic! Everyone was so kind and they really made an effort to tell you everything about the school. I actually ended up speaking to my first interviewer for almost 2 hours lol.

So just being a little neurotic since I just wanna get an acceptance and give them my money, but curious to see if current students know if the percentage of participants who get off the AWPA list has changed. Given a larger applicant pool does someone have an estimate? I remember Beth saying they haven't exhausted the AWPA list in years

Does anyone get straight accepted right off the bat or only AWPA? Interviewing Soon and just curious to know what the waiting process entails!

Last edited: