2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected yesterday. LM 69, OOS, complete late July

Members don't see this ad.

^^^^ What they said.

On top of all that, the Mayo Clinic appears to genuinely believe and support the pursuit of quality, ethical, and responsible medicine while placing less focus on the monetary aspects (which, as I understand it, they are able to do more easily than other institutions because they are a closed system). This school, in my eyes, really does represent everything in medicine that makes me want to be a physician. So yeah, the Mayo Clinic SOM is my dream school for a lot of reasons, but the top reason is that they seem to be one of the last vestiges of medicine, in our screwed up health care system, more focused on patient outcomes than on profits.

???

How can you form that conclusion with their new medicaid policies?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
???

How can you form that conclusion with their new medicaid policies?
Though I am always open to educated and insightful debate, you and I have been down this road already. I will not waste everyone else's time with rehashing the regrettable reality that is our health care system.

Reactions: 4 users
Though I am always open to educated and insightful debate, you and I have been down this road already. I will not waste everyone else's time with rehashing the regrettable reality that is our health care system.

I can answer that with one phrase, "VA Healthcare System." This is precisely why I want to work with the VA to provide a higher level of care than I have recieved.

Reactions: 3 users
This may have been answered before but does anyone know from past experiences or anecdotal evidence of what being silent for a while means. I'm not sure whether Mayo thinks I'm not as competitive as other applicants or they haven't seen me yet or if they just take a while to review each applicant due to their holistic review. I honestly can't tell because people have had IIs fairly soon while others took a while to get.

Reactions: 1 users
Also on hold, complete mid/late July, LizzyM 77-79. I really like this school so a little bit sad.

Did you guys get the on hold email today? I’m still radio silent. Complete early August.

On hold complete 7/15. My heart is hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I believe so. However, I think my diversity essay was weaker b/c Mayo Clinic was one of my earlier submissions, and I wasn't really happy with my diversity essay until maybe mid August :/.

Well, all I can do is just chug along, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I believe so. However, I think my diversity essay was weaker b/c Mayo Clinic was one of my earlier submissions, and I wasn't really happy with my diversity essay until maybe mid August :/.

Well, all I can do is just chug along, I guess.
With a LizzyM score in the range of 77-79, I'm sure you will have plenty of other II's! Best of Luck!

Before diving into the Deep web that is the previous cycle thread, does anyone know what proportion gets put on hold for an interview and actually get one?

Thanks

Before diving into the Deep web that is the previous cycle thread, does anyone know what proportion gets put on hold for an interview and actually get one?

Thanks
Last year, from what I gather, the application process was a bit different, so I'm not sure if people were told they were on hold or the school stayed silent. This would be a great fact finding mission for someone to take.

Thanks
I don't know what proportion, but I do know of this happening. So, being on hold isn't necessarily the end. Good Luck!

On hold today, complete 7/17 LizzyM 83.5. I love Mayo (having grown up in MN) and it was a bit of a pipe dream but still stings to get that email. Oh well, best of luck to everyone else! It's an awesome school and they'll be lucky to get some of you guys in their class.

Seeing all these people with various LizzyMs getting put on hold makes me wonder what a person needs to do to warrant an II. I'm wondering what's the "Mayo" factor that those who get IIs are blessed with.

Gotta hate the limbo of not hearing anything at all though. Submitted 7/15 and just staring at the app status like:unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
Gotta hate the limbo of not hearing anything at all though. Submitted 7/15 and just staring at the app status like:unsure:
7/18 here. Stuck in the same boat. I wonder if theyve read my app yet.

8/13, and it's driving me down right crazy.

So...quick question here for current Mayo students.

It seems like the overall consensus is to 1) apply early (submit primary in June-July at latest).
And then Mayo's guideline is to submit within 2 weeks of receiving their secondary (if following step 1, this is received LATEST July 31st).
So, following the 2 week guideline, submission of secondaries must occur around August 15-20th (even giving yourself a few days off the 2 week deadline).

Has anyone been accepted after submitting their secondary in September, October, or (dare say) November?

dfa

So...quick question here for current Mayo students.

It seems like the overall consensus is to 1) apply early (submit primary in June-July at latest).
And then Mayo's guideline is to submit within 2 weeks of receiving their secondary (if following step 1, this is received LATEST July 31st).
So, following the 2 week guideline, submission of secondaries must occur around August 15-20th (even giving yourself a few days off the 2 week deadline).

Has anyone been accepted after submitting their secondary in September, October, or (dare say) November?

dfa
Not a current student, but I recieved an II last Tuesday after submitting on 9/10. I recieved the secondary a month prior to submission.

Not a current student, but I recieved an II last Tuesday after submitting on 9/10. I recieved the secondary a month prior to submission.

helpful, nevertheless! Thanks for your response.

This is a hugeeee relief. Congrats btw! I'm on about the same timeline and was worried submitting after a month would be fatal. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Just got an II!!! Complete 8/13. I am so pumped and humbled.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah Dude, and we have nearly the same stats. I haven’t had a chance to get a picture uploaded yet. Have you seen what dates are available yet?

Congratz to both of y'all!!

Last edited:
Yeah Dude, and we have nearly the same stats. I haven’t had a chance to get a picture uploaded yet. Have you seen what dates are available yet?

No, I am going to take a new pic tonight, gotta trim the beard and put on a shirt and tie. The one I've been using for other schools is me in a polo.

No, I am going to take a new pic tonight, gotta trim the beard and put on a shirt and tie. The one I've been using for other schools is me in a polo.
Yeah, I gotta get this shaggy mane trimmed and shave my beard off. I plan on uploading a photo on Friday.

Yeah, I gotta get this shaggy mane trimmed and shave my beard off. I plan on uploading a photo on Friday.

I'm not going to shave my beard for interviews. It will be trimmed and professional. My beard is as Mich of my personality as anything else haha.

I'm not going to shave my beard for interviews. It will be trimmed and professional. My beard is as Mich of my personality as anything else haha.
I can get on board with that. My beard is rather patchy though. It looks like someone shaved a cat and then glued the fur on my face. Thus, I think shaving may be in order, at least for me.

Last edited:
Anyone here had any movement after already been placed on-hold?

Congrats to those who received II! What were the options for interview dates?

Congrats to those who received II! What were the options for interview dates?
We don’t know yet. Neither one of us have uploaded a photo yet, which you need to do prior to them showing available dates.

This is one of the reasons that I love the Mayo Clinic SOM. The school consistent

I can get on board with that. My beard is rather patchy though. It looks like someone shaved a cat and then glued the fur on my face. Thus, I think shaving may be in order, at least for me.

Well, for me, I am Russian Orthodox and my beard is a religious symbol so I don't really have a choice to shave. Lol

Well, for me, I am Russian Orthodox and my beard is a religious symbol so I don't really have a choice to shave. Lol
Ha, well that sounds like a pretty darn good reason to me. Hey man, would you do me a favor, and please give a shout as to the available interview dates when you upload your photo. Thanks

Ha, well that sounds like a pretty darn good reason to me. Hey man, would you do me a favor, and please give a shout as to the available interview dates when you upload your photo. Thanks

No sweat. Gonna do It tomorrow.

So looks like Nov 27th is the ONLY date available on the calendar....I guess I'll see you then? Haha

Yeah I received a hold email. Try as I might I never found any info on if it’s just a delayed rejection.
If they wanted to reject someone, they would just send a rejection (they've already rejected many this cycle). We're in interview purgatory. Not loved enough to get an outright interview, but not hated enough to get outright rejected. The sloppy seconds of applicants. To be clear, I'm perfectly content with being sloppy seconds :)

Reactions: 4 users