2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maybe just the ppl in Jacksonville got it. lol It's super nice

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My LOI just said, "cuz I luv the mug <3"

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d40.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d40.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 1 users
Damnnnnnn. That is nice. Now I know what they did with that $200M.
They actually put fat stacks of $100 bills in all the mugs. 10/10 would apply to FL track again

Reactions: 4 users
Wait-list! (On Tuesday). I know I’m supposed to be disappointed to not get an acceptance, but I’m just so happy that this dream is still alive. Congrats to those accepted and people on the waitlist have faith! And if you know you’re going to withdraw please do it soon so I can look for Rochester housing ;)

Last edited:
Wait-list! (On Tuesday). I know I’m supposed to be disappointed to not get an acceptance, but I’m just so happy that this dream is still alive. Congrats to those accepted and people on the waitlist have faith! And if you know you’re going to withdraw please do it soon so I can look for Rochester housing ;)

I'm starting to think that's why they stagger their acceptances and waitlists like that. Normally I would not be happy with a wait list but ,like you, it felt great to get the WL email because I already knew an outright acceptance was off the table. So now I'm still excited about the school! It's sorcery what they're doing :)

Anyone else on here expecting a call from Mayo MD-PhD today?

Got an email saying Mayo would release financial aid info by end of day Wednesday. Anybody know if that will include scholarship offers? Hoping to see some of that sweet sweet $200Mil

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying Mayo would release financial aid info by end of day Wednesday. Anybody know if that will include scholarship offers? Hoping to see some of that sweet sweet $200Mil

I believe so. I think they will release the entire financial aid package.

Could any current student speak about opportunities to pursue an MBA or an M.S. at Mayo (either MN or AZ)? I am curious about how it works out with you taking time off (when), whether it's funded through Mayo, how that influences your trajectory after, and can you pursue it outside of Mayo. Any input is appreciated.

Hmm...well there goes the end of business. Tomorrow then?

Reactions: 2 users
So earlier in the day I was able to sign in and view the financial aid page which listed total COA but no offers yet. Just now I tried accessing the same page and it brings up a blank error screen. This happened within the last 30 minutes--anyone else have the same thing? Perhaps it is in the process of being updated?

So earlier in the day I was able to sign in and view the financial aid page which listed total COA but no offers yet. Just now I tried accessing the same page and it brings up a blank error screen. This happened within the last 30 minutes--anyone else have the same thing? Perhaps it is in the process of being updated?
I had this problem earlier. It worked when I signed out and signed back in. Unfortunately no finaid info for me yet :(

+2. Nice chunk of change though!

Is anyone planning on going to the second look? I'm 100% going to Mayo but I still want to go their and do some shadowing and meet my classmates. Sounds like an awesome opportunity but I'm conflicted because the flights from CA to Rochester are super expensive and I would have to miss time from work :/.

Is anyone planning on going to the second look? I'm 100% going to Mayo but I still want to go their and do some shadowing and meet my classmates. Sounds like an awesome opportunity but I'm conflicted because the flights from CA to Rochester are super expensive and I would have to miss time from work :/.
I'll be there! Super excited to check out the area again and also meet classmates! I'm trying to minimize time off from work by booking a late flight.

For those of you who have received your financial aid/scholarships, how long after receiving the email did the financial portion of your portal (edlink?) open up?

It's weird my need is shown as 88k but I didn't have any information on the portal about the scholarship or federal aid. Anyone else having this issue?

I'll also be there! If you're coming from far away, I'd check out flights to Minneapolis/St-Paul (MSP). From where I am, flights to MSP are literally one-third the price of flights to Rochester. With a Mayo discount (easy to get), I think a round-trip shuttle between Rochester and MSP is $40-50 bucks.

Edit: And you should use the app "Hopper." It's a godsend! Tells you the best time to buy flights to get the best price. It was a lifesaver for interview season!

It's weird my need is shown as 88k but I didn't have any information on the portal about the scholarship or federal aid. Anyone else having this issue?

No info on my financial aid offer listed either.

Last edited:
I will also be at second look! I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you! Do we as accepted students qualify for the Mayo discount on the shuttle service?

It is definitely worth going out for second look. Fly to Minneapolis and take shuttle (or even UBER with some other second lookers). Flights to Minneapolis are not expensive usually. Make sure to check SOUTHWEST too, as most of the online search services do not include that airline.

You can even plan to look at some apartments - and finalize your housing remotely later in the Spring. Second look is a great way to meet your future classmates, and you get a chance to meet other faculty and people in the med school administration that you will be working with over the next four years (as typically, the admissions office staff you have already met IS pretty separate and you will not have a lot of contact with them). I encourage all of my advisees to go to second looks, even if they are 100% committed to a school, and they are always glad that they did so. (And, for all who are reading this thread, at some schools, they will cover expenses for those who are economically disadvantaged - doesn't hurt to ask if you fit this definition.)

I will also be at second look! I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you! Do we as accepted students qualify for the Mayo discount on the shuttle service?

Sure! I got it when I interviewed. Just say you’re on your way to Mayo Clinic SOM and they usually apply the discount—no questions asked. I actually found this out by accident. People in MN are so nice :)

It is definitely worth going out for second look. Fly to Minneapolis and take shuttle (or even UBER with some other second lookers). Flights to Minneapolis are not expensive usually. Make sure to check SOUTHWEST too, as most of the online search services do not include that airline.

You can even plan to look at some apartments - and finalize your housing remotely later in the Spring. Second look is a great way to meet your future classmates, and you get a chance to meet other faculty and people in the med school administration that you will be working with over the next four years (as typically, the admissions office staff you have already met IS pretty separate and you will not have a lot of contact with them). I encourage all of my advisees to go to second looks, even if they are 100% committed to a school, and they are always glad that they did so. (And, for all who are reading this thread, at some schools, they will cover expenses for those who are economically disadvantaged - doesn't hurt to ask if you fit this definition.)

Who would you recommend asking to about "second look" expenses, admissions?

Who would you recommend asking to about "second look" expenses, admissions?
Yes, you can certainly ask the admissions office if they subsidize travel expenses for needy students. Some places offer to cover travel expenses for only those who qualify for the free applications. Others do not offer anyone anything. Others might offer to cover expenses for URIM students.

I would imagine that with such a small class size there is a chance that the mean could vary between years. I would be interested to see the median.

Also aid is now available on the portal for me! Super excited to be starting in July (and also super nervous :nailbiting:)

Just received the financial aid email saying I haven't accepted my loans yet. I'm between Mayo and another school, so does anyone know if these loan agreements are binding? Should I just wait until I decide on a school or would that leave me without loans if I decide to attend Mayo?

Just received the financial aid email saying I haven't accepted my loans yet. I'm between Mayo and another school, so does anyone know if these loan agreements are binding? Should I just wait until I decide on a school or would that leave me without loans if I decide to attend Mayo?

I don't know whether accepting the loans is binfing, but I don't think the offer will expire anytime soon. Somewhere in the financial aid emails it said that you can adjust your loan amount any time throughout the year, so I think it's fairly flexible

Did anyone else on the waitlist for the 2+2 program get the we're still interested in you email?

Did anybody get a “we’re still interested email” for the regular MD program?

Yes, I got one today too for 2+2.
what did yours say? How are you gonna tell them about your "current level of interest" lol i already wrote a letter of intent

what did yours say? How are you gonna tell them about your "current level of interest" lol i already wrote a letter of intent
This school is more needy than my ex

It says: "Hope this note finds you well, enjoying the spring season! I am pleased to inform you that just like in previous years, we expect to have about 30 positions for our school available to selected waitlisted candidates and that you are one of the finalists for these appointments. At this time, we would Iove to hear about your current level of interest in joining Mayo."

I just responded to the email saying that I am still interested and reiterated what was said in my LOI.

Did anybody get a “we’re still interested email” for the regular MD program?

i think it’s just 2+2 people atm based on the responses. makes sense as spots are probably distinct so they have a better/earlier sense of need to fill from the WL. at least i hope that’s the case.

Last edited:
i think it’s just 2+2 people atm based on the responses. makes sense as spots are probably distinct so they have a better/earlier sense of need to fill from the WL. at least i hope that’s the case.

I got the email too and I was wondering if there are separate waitlists for each school. The email made it seem like there I could be accepted for any of the 30 spots that need to be filled, but I hope it's not just a WL for the 2+2 program since it's only 12 spots.