2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview email today, set for 11/17! I'm really excited and nervous, as this is my first interview of my second round of medical school applications. I really need to brush up again. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview email today, set for 11/17! I'm really excited and nervous, as this is my first interview of my second round of medical school applications. I really need to brush up again. Any tips?

Congrats! 11/17 is right around the corner so good luck! When were you complete?

Congrats! 11/17 is right around the corner so good luck! When were you complete?

Thank you! I got two interviews last year but wasn't accepted to either school. Fingers crossed, this year will be better! I think I was complete by the end of July, not sure on exact ate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, current M1 here and I just wanted to offer to answer any questions you guys have about the school. I definitely had my reservations about the school while applying, given it being both new and for-profit, so I'm happy to address any concerns!

Hi, how does the accreditation thing work? What if CNU is unable to attain full accreditation? Are current students guaranteed a transfer to another school to get a residency and become a licensed physician?

Hi, how does the accreditation thing work? What if CNU is unable to attain full accreditation? Are current students guaranteed a transfer to another school to get a residency and become a licensed physician?

To the best of my knowledge the contingency plan is that we would be transferred to UC Davis, but yes part of us gaining our preliminary accreditation is that current students have to be guaranteed a transfer to another medical school if accreditation isn't granted. Without going into details, I think the chances of this are extremely low.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd recommend reading up a little on medical ethics and practicing some MMI cases, as well as familiarizing yourself with your application, as our interview is a combination of normal interview questions and MMI-style cases.

I'd recommend reading up a little on medical ethics and practicing some MMI cases, as well as familiarizing yourself with your application, as our interview is a combination of normal interview questions and MMI-style cases.

Do you know where we might find more information on the format of the interview? It doesn't really say on the website. Is it like a traditional MMI where you have 6-10 stations and whatnot?

Do you know where we might find more information on the format of the interview? It doesn't really say on the website. Is it like a traditional MMI where you have 6-10 stations and whatnot?

I believe it's 6 stations (3 students, 3 faculty). Each station has an MMI case prompt you have a few minutes to think about, then present for 5 minutes. The next 5 minutes is more of a traditional interview with the same interviewer, then you rotate and repeat. Don't know if all those details are 100% correct, but that's the gist of it!

Reactions: 1 users
To the best of my knowledge the contingency plan is that we would be transferred to UC Davis, but yes part of us gaining our preliminary accreditation is that current students have to be guaranteed a transfer to another medical school if accreditation isn't granted. Without going into details, I think the chances of this are extremely low.

^^^Not quite accurate, give the end of last year’s thread a read for the full explanation of different LCME outcomes and what they mean for students. In such an event, transfers are not guaranteed anywhere, although cooperation is encouraged. Schools routinely have students decelerate for academic and non academic reasons - nationwide, there should in theory be sufficient vacancy if such an event occurred to accommodate, but by no means is it “we’d just go to Davis” or “stay in CA” etc.

But I agree, I won’t be losing any sleep over it either.

^^^Not quite accurate, give the end of last year’s thread a read for the full explanation of different LCME outcomes and what they mean for students. In such an event, transfers are not guaranteed anywhere, although cooperation is encouraged. Schools routinely have students decelerate for academic and non academic reasons - nationwide, there should in theory be sufficient vacancy if such an event occurred to accommodate, but by no means is it “we’d just go to Davis” or “stay in CA” etc.

But I agree, I won’t be losing any sleep over it either.

thanks for clearing that up, @GnomeBeGone

Accepted on 11/9, interviewed on 10/27.

Pretty good turn around time in my case. They said it would take 3 weeks but that was less than 2. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 3 users

Pretty good turn around time in my case. They said it would take 3 weeks but that was less than 2. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

Congrats!!! Wow, that is pretty quick turn around : D Care to give any wisdom for those of us who are interviewing there soon?

Congrats! When did you get the invite for the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! Wow, that is pretty quick turn around : D Care to give any wisdom for those of us who are interviewing there soon?

The interview was a little different than others that I had had in the past because of their combined MMI and traditional questions. Just get ready to switch gears quickly so you can answer both questions sufficiently.

Congratulations on the new acceptances and the new interview invites! I'm still here to answer any questions about the school (current M1) if you guys have any :)

If things go like last cycle, we interview pretty late, so invites would probably going out as late as march.

Like SecondAid said above me, I know of people that interviewed on the last day and are now classmates of mine.

Hi all,

Two things
1. Any interviews recently?
2. For current MS, what's your experience been like at such a new school? I imagine there's pros and cons

Thanks, and good luck everyone!
1. Current MS1 here, the last interview date was 11/17. And as far as I know, the next coming interview date is 12/8 so be on the look out for that. From my previous experience, this school like many other MS have mentioned is a bit on the slower side for II. In the previous year, I was completed end of Aug but didn't hear back from them til end of Jan and interviewed beginning at Feb. But the same was true for UCD, also completed end of Aug but didn't interview til March. So there's definitely movement, but just slow... I remembered that they only gave me one available interview date and just a one week notice before the interview date, so definitely you will have to plan around that.

2. So far my experience at the school has been pleasant. It's a new school and all so there's still a few problems here and there that they are trying to figure out, but nothing too major. I liked that the professors that they hired are all very experienced practicing docs and many of them they directly poached from UCD and some are floating btw. CNU and UCD. From what I hear, the avg. Step 1 score for the 2019 class is 230, right on national avg and the curriculum is also catered toward preparing for step so that's a plus. Something I find quite different is that they do require students to complete some certain hours of community service each year (not a big number though) and there's also a mandatory scholarly research project that students have to come up with and work on throughout their second year. Right now, there's no student run clinic like UC Davis but I know our class is trying to get something similar started at a local Sikh temple (location wise) and a mobile clinic that have already been approved by the school. The biggest con for me is that the school has not been fully accredited and the tuition is expensive plus no federal loan. But I'm not too worry about not getting the accreditation tbh, it's just a matter of time.

1. Current MS1 here, the last interview date was 11/17. And as far as I know, the next coming interview date is 12/8 so be on the look out for that. From my previous experience, this school like many other MS have mentioned is a bit on the slower side for II. In the previous year, I was completed end of Aug but didn't hear back from them til end of Jan and interviewed beginning at Feb. But the same was true for UCD, also completed end of Aug but didn't interview til March. So there's definitely movement, but just slow... I remembered that they only gave me one available interview date and just a one week notice before the interview date, so definitely you will have to plan around that.

2. So far my experience at the school has been pleasant. It's a new school and all so there's still a few problems here and there that they are trying to figure out, but nothing too major. I liked that the professors that they hired are all very experienced practicing docs and many of them they directly poached from UCD and some are floating btw. CNU and UCD. From what I hear, the avg. Step 1 score for the 2019 class is 230, right on national avg and the curriculum is also catered toward preparing for step so that's a plus. Something I find quite different is that they do require students to complete some certain hours of community service each year (not a big number though) and there's also a mandatory scholarly research project that students have to come up with and work on throughout their second year. Right now, there's no student run clinic like UC Davis but I know our class is trying to get something similar started at a local Sikh temple (location wise) and a mobile clinic that have already been approved by the school. The biggest con for me is that the school has not been fully accredited and the tuition is expensive plus no federal loan. But I'm not too worry about not getting the accreditation tbh, it's just a matter of time.
Wow thanks for the details! And I will sit tight through the next few months, hoping for the interview

II email received today for 12/8. Secondary submitted mid-August.

Has this school sent out any rejections? If not, when do they start sending them out?

I was complete 7/11 but haven't heard back, anyone else in a similar situation?

Has anyone who interviewed 11/17 hear back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed 11/17 hear back yet?
I was at 11/17 and I haven't heard back, I'm not sure if it will be this week or next week, because of Thanksgiving break.

Scratch that, just got a post II rejection (3:30 pm)

Last edited:
Is anybody else going to the banquet tonight? I live an hour away and am definitely considering going.

Do you have any idea when the next Interview date is?

What's it for?
I received an email from two students saying there is a banquet tonight for interviewers designed to get to know the student body and ask questions about the school. The interview is tomorrow.

Just got my acceptance e-mail! They said Friday, but it's only Thursday, so now I'm scared it's not real, but...

Dear Medical Student,

Congratulations on your acceptance into the Doctor of Medicine Program at California Northstate University College of Medicine (CNUCOM). We know this is an exciting time and We look forward to assisting you with the process of joining our College.

As a candidate, you must complete certain non-academic requirements when extended an offer of admission. These requirements must be completed well ahead of the start of school. Listed below are important documents for you to complete. It requires your immediate and careful review; listing tuition, deposit information, fees/refunds and critical deadlines. Review in the order listed below; initial and/or sign where required; and submit to the Business Office by the deadline noted below.

The deadline to have your documents completed and $100 deposit in the College of Medicine Business Office is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 22th, 2017. Send forms and deposit to the Business Office address listed below, via U.S. Mail only. Contact the Business Office directly at 916-686-8784 with any questions you have about the deposit and/or documents.

• College of Medicine
  • Attn: JoAnne Hansana, Business Office
  • 9700 West Taron Drive
  • Elk Grove, CA 95757

*Note: Do not mail, deliver, or e-mail your documents to the Admissions Office.

Start with the attached Acceptance Confirmation Checklist Letter to complete the following-
  1. Facts & Statistics, Disclosures for the College of Medicine
  2. School Performance Fact Sheet
  3. California Northstate University General Catalog Link: http://www.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/Registrar/University-General-Catalog-2017-2018-FINAL.pdf
  4. Doctor of Medicine Degree Program Student Enrollment Agreement
  5. Financial Aid Documents and Forms
a. Financial Aid Welcome Letter – Class of 2022
b. Financial Options Statement
c. Financial Aid Application Instructions
d. Student Financial Aid Application
e. W-9S Instructions
f. W-9S Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer ID# and Certification
  1. Immunization Requirements- Deadline on MY RECORD TRACKER
  2. New Student Form
  3. Include a Copy of a government-issued photo ID showing full legal name

You will need to complete these forms to begin the funding process. A detailed description of all financing options are available to you through the University’s website at STUDENT FINANCIAL AID OFFICE. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] or 916-686-8784 if you need assistance or have any questions.

More information about orientation, your classes, etc., will be provided to you once the above forms are submitted and processed.

Once more, congratulations, and welcome to the College of Medicine’s Class of 2022!

CALIFORNIA NORTHSTATE UNIVERSITY
College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
9700 West Taron Drive
Elk Grove, CA 95757
[email protected]
Office: 916.686.7300 x177

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to all who have been accepted!

Submitted my secondary back in July and have heard absolutely nothing (besides the supplemental application confirmation email). :(

Is anybody else going to the banquet tonight? I live an hour away and am definitely considering going.
I'm going, I live close by too and feel like I might as well go to hear the other students' perspectives etc. What do you think?

Accepted also (12/7) interviewed 11/17.

It’s not really a “banquet” btw, it’s more just a chance to ask two current students any questions you might have about the university as well as a tour of the campus and food. There is no tour on interview day so it might be worth it just for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to all who have been accepted!

Submitted my secondary back in July and have heard absolutely nothing (besides the supplemental application confirmation email). :(
damn mannn same boat. congrats to all who got accepted. this school is so close to my home and its all i am holding on to right now.
keeping my hopes alive but its getting harder.

damn mannn same boat. congrats to all who got accepted. this school is so close to my home and its all i am holding on to right now.
keeping my hopes alive but its getting harder.

Ahh! Hopefully we'll hear good news soon.

Does anyone know if Northstate has a rolling waitlist? No email in the 3 week deadline so I'm assuming I'm waitlisted

Does anyone know if Northstate has a rolling waitlist? No email in the 3 week deadline so I'm assuming I'm waitlisted
Yes that means you are waitlisted. Not sure what a 'rolling' waiting list means specifically. How Northstate's works -- waitlist gets reviewed every time they have an admissions committee meeting (aka people on the waitlist can get accepted throughout the interview cycle)