2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM?

In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

[Required] What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum) Myself, sometimes you have to just perservere

[Required] In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

[Optional] If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

7. [Recommended] Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are any class of 2019 students here, I was wondering if you could please post the average step score for the class of 2019 when it is released!

Reactions: 1 users
CNUCOM secondary application essay prompts from last year (2016-2017):

1. If you were enrolled in less than 12 units/credits for more than 4 semesters/6 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation:

2. Please explain why you want to become a physician. Provide any experiences you had that have led you to this pursuit. (250 word limit)

3. In the current state of medical care, teamwork is critical for success. Please explain your understanding of what teamwork is; and identify your experiences of teamwork. (250 word limit).

4. In the medical profession you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues and patients from varying cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Please explain how diversity has played a role in your life and education, and how would you apply this to your profession? (250 word limit).*

5. Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application. (250 word limit).*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the "form password" is?

Reactions: 2 users
Are there no secondary questions?

Also, are there any current students who can provide input about the environment at this school? Is the administration/faculty friendly?

I am in the same situation! I just replied to the email asking what the form password was!

Hey guys, kinda scared to just submit payment without seeing questions as well. Are there none this year? Or do we only see the questions once we submit the payment?

If I qualify for the fee waiver, how do I proceed...?
If you qualify for the fee waver, how exactly do you expect to pay for med school here with no federal loans and no payback mechanisms available?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CNU Supplemental Application Invitation received 3:46 PM, July 7th, 2017.

However, the formstack email link contains only a form to submit payment with no secondary questions.

Same boat. Arggh. Paid through PayPal (hoping on a prayer) and I'm lost. I've emailed admissions... Will let you know...

Last edited:
I'll let you guys figure this one out while I just stand by and wait

So I got impatient and paid it. It really doesn't give me any additional info. So ummmmmm??

Same boat. Just going to wait on what the consensus here is.

Just an update... no response from admissions yet!

I gave CNU a call. It seems as though this a technical glitch and the admissions team is away from their desks trying to resolve it. Hopefully all goes well.

Any updates?
Got an email with a form to complete their secondary, and they also acknowledged my previous payment so I assume I will not need to make another payment when I submit this form.

GG the essays all changed from last year.. this was one of the few schools I prewrote too

Does anyone know what the "form password" is?
They sent me a separate email with my secondary link a few days after receiving my payment. I never ended up needing a "form code" so I disregarded that webpage :p

I don't understand, I haven't received any new emails since the one that asked for the payment. Are we supposed to pay before we see the prompts???

Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM?

In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

[Required] What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum) Myself, sometimes you have to just perservere

[Required] In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

[Optional] If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

7. [Recommended] Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

Prompts here, I think there might be one that I didn't copy down.

Hey everyone, I gave them a call today as well. They said after you pay the fee, you will recieve a separate email to access the actual supplemental application. Also, for those who have FAP from AAMC, you still need to pay the fee for the secondary, but if you send them an email with proof of the FAP and they will reimburse you after.

EDIT: After you pay the fee, it gives the option to "return to merchant". If you click that, you will be directed to the secondary application.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Do you think the challenge essay has to do specifically with pursuing medicine? can it be a challenge in general?

Do you think the challenge essay has to do specifically with pursuing medicine? can it be a challenge in general?

I think you have some room to be creative. When I see these questions I like to think about how very very many of them admissions has to read. Then consider what they're asking versus what they want to find out. If you have a compelling story you wish to share, answer it literally. Otherwise, this question says: "Demonstrate self awareness and graceful problem solving."

Can a current student (or anybody who knows the answer) comment on what types of community engagement CNUCOM students get involved with? Any student-run health clinics or similar opportunities? Thanks!!

Did anyone not click the return to merchant link? I didn't notice the link and closed the window, but have yet to receive an email. Not sure how to access the portal :/

Hello Northstate Applicants. I was wondering if in "other Recommended Courses" section a class has to state "anatomy" in the title to be an anatomy class.....

My school doesn't name classes like that so even though my concentrations was anatomy and physiology none of my classes have the word "anatomy" in the title even though i memorized the entire human anatomy over a series of classes. so i'm worried if I check the box they won't think I actually took any anatomy classes.

Thanks for your input.

Hey all, I'm sort of panicking a bit. Can't seem to get information by calling the school. Any idea how to access the secondary now that I've already submitted the payment? Closed window without clicking on return to merchant and haven't received any email/link.

I still haven't received this secondary, and I was verified Mid-June with this school already listed. Anyone else?

same same, verified 6/22... i emailed them and they said my application is still under review

Last edited:
So, after I paid, should i get another email? I paid, now it's asking me for my form password. The only email I've gotten are receipts.

Edit: it works. Just clicked continue without entering a password

Last edited:
Can a current student (or anybody who knows the answer) comment on what types of community engagement CNUCOM students get involved with? Any student-run health clinics or similar opportunities? Thanks!!

There's an organization called "Medical Volunteers for Underserved Communities at CNU" that arranges a host of both short-term and long-term service projects, but no student-run health clinic (as of yet -- some are trying to get this off the ground, too).

Clinic wise, there's not a traditional, free-wheeling student run clinic, but don't forget that we've had a green-light to work with the Halo clinics around Sacramento coordinated through that volunteer group (stop me if that's no longer the case?) for some time too. Someone else will have to speak to the specifics of that though. It's a more substantial time commitment.

For short term clinical stuff, there's always some health fair or another event coming up that we're set up in. Students have had good luck with summer medical volunteer opportunities too.

As far as outreach that's not direct patient care, various clubs have pursued their own activities and I haven't really kept up with all the new groups that have started. Off the top of my head in the last year, there were some science fairs, middle school bio classes, food bank, policy lobbying, talks about planning for pre-med, mini-med school day, etc. etc.

Any suggestions for the recommended prompt #7? The others already cover the typical diversity and why CNUCOM essays, so I'm not sure what else to say!

Any suggestions for the recommended prompt #7? The others already cover the typical diversity and why CNUCOM essays, so I'm not sure what else to say!

Plans for this year?

So for their coursework requirements, Idk if I'm in a dilemma because it asks for a year of general chemistry with lab but my university (UCSD for those also in the same boat) only offers one quarter of lab with three separate quarters of the general chem series (so the lab course is a whole course in itself with its own lectures). It's kinda the same for Ochem with us....anyone have input? :/ I really appreciate it!!