2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think they give a crap I e-mailed them and they were very rude to me. Highly regret applying here.
No way what did they say?

Members don't see this ad.

No yeah it is rude... they are liars!
An email was sent to you in August that your information was sent to our business office for review. It didn’t state that it was a guarantee refund. Our business office has denied your request because CNUCOM no longer accepts Fee Waivers for Supplemental Application.

Actually wasn't rude, but I felt that it was a very lame email considering they said they would accept fee waivers earlier in the cycle... just felt disingenuous i guess

I know about the invite tracker but that's not exactly as accurate as having people here come and say it on the school specific forum. I was hoping someone like a current student or a student who got an interview could verify if interviews have actually begun or how many interviews have gone out because last year the forum wasnt so dead silent

Members don't see this ad :)
I know about the invite tracker but that's not exactly as accurate as having people here come and say it on the school specific forum. I was hoping someone like a current student or a student who got an interview could verify if interviews have actually begun or how many interviews have gone out because last year the forum wasnt so dead silent
I did have an interview at this school about a week ago. There were 36 students in attendance.

I did have an interview at this school about a week ago. There were 36 students in attendance.
Thanks for letting me know! So it looks pretty similar to what they did last year, did they tell you when you were going to hear about acceptances? Also, if you dont mind when were you complete? Again, thank you and congrats!!

That is the most I have heard of attending an interview at once, at a school

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for letting me know! So it looks pretty similar to what they did last year, did they tell you when you were going to hear about acceptances? Also, if you dont mind when were you complete? Again, thank you and congrats!!
Thanks! They said we would hear back 3 weeks after the interview, and I think I was complete around July 20th.

Any idea how long after completing their secondary they inform you about a possible interview or not? I completed it on 9/4, and silence. Granted, I know it's not that long to wait, but a nice estimate from others would help to clear things up.

Any idea how long after completing their secondary they inform you about a possible interview or not? I completed it on 9/4, and silence. Granted, I know it's not that long to wait, but a nice estimate from others would help to clear things up.

I've been complete since mid-July and have not heard from them at all. :(

I've been complete since mid-July and have not heard from them at all. :(
That's too bad. I actually live in the area, so getting an interview would be exciting. I wonder if they are just slow getting through the applications.

This school is kinda shady to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
100%. have you read the posts about the fee waivers? They were not transparent and very unprofessional about them.
I haven't but they denied my fee waiver even though I have AAMC waiver , what a joke lol

The fee waiver denial is such a big issue. It is just so wrong. It's fine if they don't want to accept it as it is a "for-profit" school but stating to accept it and then refuse to go forward with the refund is disgusting. We need an explanation.

Reactions: 1 users
So, before I completed my secondary I emailed to see if they accepted the fee waivers. They said they did but that you had to pay first, and then afterward submit documentation for a reimbursement. I did that in July, and today I got an email saying that it was denied as "The College of Medicine is not accepting a fee waiver at this time."

I definitely want to get that cleared up but I also don't want to jeopardize my likelihood of getting an interview...We will have to come up with a respectful response to question this. It seems very unprofessional and inappropriate to state that you will grant fee waivers and then take the money and say nevermind..

grateful_phys,

Current M2 here. What you wrote really makes me upset on your behalf -- and I want to bring it to the student government (and/or the powers-that-be).

Can you post screenshots of the exact wording that indicated that you would receive a fee waiver? Like an email or something from way back when?

Respectfully,
Moose

Hi all,

Two things
1. Any interviews recently?
2. For current MS, what's your experience been like at such a new school? I imagine there's pros and cons

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

grateful_phys,

Current M2 here. What you wrote really makes me upset on your behalf -- and I want to bring it to the student government (and/or the powers-that-be).

Can you post screenshots of the exact wording that indicated that you would receive a fee waiver? Like an email or something from way back when?

Respectfully,
Moose

I've attached the email response, as well as what is stated on MSAR. If they were indeed not accepting fee waivers, that email would have been appropriate time and place to be transparent and say so. For instance, "although, this is not a guarantee" or something.

I appreciate the concern! Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.40.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.40.47 AM.png
    84 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.45.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.45.51 AM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 135
grateful_phys,

Respectfully,
Moose

Unfortunately, I did not save the original webpage, but I did copy & paste the directions I saw into a word doc at the time. The following is what I recorded:
*For Applicants who qualify for the Fee Waiver Assistance Program (FAP), please do the following:
  • ·Submit PayPal Payment
  • ·Email a copy of your Award Letter from AMCAS, proof of PayPal payment, AMCAS ID #, and current address
  • ·All Information will be forwarded to the Business Office for review
This was in RED at the bottom of the webpage I am attaching (where it NOW has been changed to say "not accepting fee waiver"). It was the page you needed to submit with payment prior to receiving the rest of the secondary. Seeing this assurance of reimbursement was one of the main reasons that I even decided to proceed with the transaction, as may have been the case with other people. It was misleading and that's why I feel we deserve to be provided with some sort of explanation for being denied.

Unfortunately, I did not save the original webpage, but I did copy & paste the directions I saw into a word doc at the time. The following is what I recorded:
*For Applicants who qualify for the Fee Waiver Assistance Program (FAP), please do the following:
  • ·Submit PayPal Payment
  • ·Email a copy of your Award Letter from AMCAS, proof of PayPal payment, AMCAS ID #, and current address
  • ·All Information will be forwarded to the Business Office for review
This was in RED at the bottom of the webpage I am attaching (where it NOW has been changed to say "not accepting fee waiver"). It was the page you needed to submit with payment prior to receiving the rest of the secondary. Seeing this assurance of reimbursement was one of the main reasons that I even decided to proceed with the transaction, as may have been the case with other people. It was misleading and that's why I feel we deserve to be provided with some sort of explanation for being denied.

Attachments

• COM Supplemental PayPal Payment - Formstack.pdf
    271.6 KB · Views: 85
Does anyone know if aside from the two interview dates a while ago if they've had anything since? Any invites, interviews? It's been pretty silent on this thread.

Does anyone know if aside from the two interview dates a while ago if they've had anything since? Any invites, interviews? It's been pretty silent on this thread.
Applied a while ago myself, sometime in July, no response.

II about an hour ago. Sitting numb at the dentist has never been so satisfying.

For those who have been screwed, I am very sorry and any "for profit" school seems to have a ring of shadiness attached to it.

I am IS, Bay Area born and raised, and have been waiting and waiting for some love from my home state. This is my first interview in California and although this school has been questionable I am so excited to come home from Boston even just for a day or two.

c3.6/s3.8/g3.8 --> 516 MCAT.
Was given a single date at the end of October.

II today as well!

Understand very well the issues as presented largely on SDN but I will take the interview invitation with excitement because you never know how the school is unless you go there and give it a shot!

I'm IS, SoCal, LizzyM 72 (miscalculated this before incase anybody questions my previous post T.T!)

Same only one date end of October!

Reactions: 2 users
II about an hour ago. Sitting numb at the dentist has never been so satisfying.

For those who have been screwed, I am very sorry and any "for profit" school seems to have a ring of shadiness attached to it.

I am IS, Bay Area born and raised, and have been waiting and waiting for some love from my home state. This is my first interview in California and although this school has been questionable I am so excited to come home from Boston even just for a day or two.

c3.6/s3.8/g3.8 --> 516 MCAT.
Was given a single date at the end of October.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

II today as well!

Understand very well the issues as presented largely on SDN but I will take the interview invitation with excitement because you never know how the school is unless you go there and give it a shot!

I'm IS, SoCal, LizzyM 72 (miscalculated this before incase anybody questions my previous post T.T!)

Same only one date end of October!

Complete date?

Thanks! Good to know! That's strange but you got an II so i'm sure its fine!

grateful_phys,

Respectfully,
Moose
Hey. The same thing regarding the fee waiver happened to me. I sent in all the information they needed early August. I followed up a couple times and they told me it was being reviewed. Then on August 31st, I received an email saying this:

I do apologize for the late reply. I have received your FAP reimbursement and should be processing a check by early next week.
I will be mailing your check out to [My address].

Then, September 26th I received another email saying this:
Dear Applicant,
After careful review, your request for the Supplemental Application Fee Waiver has been denied as the College of Medicine is not accepting fee waiver at this time.
Sincerely,
CNUCOM

How ridiculous is that! They even told me they'd send the reimbursement and i waited nearly a month for them to just tell me that!

II! Complete 7/26

My apologies if this was answered previously.. Does anybody know if CNUCOM is receptive to update letters?

I've attached the email response, as well as what is stated on MSAR. If they were indeed not accepting fee waivers, that email would have been appropriate time and place to be transparent and say so. For instance, "although, this is not a guarantee" or something.

I appreciate the concern! Thank you!

grateful_phys, applicant95, Beantown101, and anyone else who expected a fee waiver (but didn't get one),

I brought this up with members of our student government, who then brought it up to those on the admissions committee.

1. We students agreed that the initial wording did make a fee waiver seem definite, even though the staff has repeatedly emphasized that there was no guarantee.

2. Sometime during the ongoing admissions cycle (we students don't know when), the decision was made to definitively pull the plug on the fee waiver process. The website was then amended to reflect this decision, and the wording was made more definite.

3. Alas, you won't get an apology or explanation from the staff, but for what it's worth, we students think this could've been handled a lot better. Suffice it to say, while the overwhelming majority of us are happy to be here, there are isolated incidents (e.g. like this one) that are undeniably negative. Thankfully, student leaders are invariably committed to making things better, and we have a number of strong faculty members who see things the way we do.

This is a public forum, and the internet is forever -- so I'll leave it at that.

Again, this doesn't mean much, but from one student to another (prospective) student, I apologize.

Respectfully,
moose (current M2)

Reactions: 6 users
Complete 7/11 and silence still

If there are any class of 2019 students here, I was wondering if you could please post the average step score for the class of 2019 when it is released!
Average Step 1 score for the class of 2019 was a 230. Same as the national average.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, current M1 here and I just wanted to offer to answer any questions you guys have about the school. I definitely had my reservations about the school while applying, given it being both new and for-profit, so I'm happy to address any concerns!

I feel like this thread is so slow compared to other schools. not sure if its because of lower applicants or just the admissions process is slower but i sent an update last month and still havent heard anything from them

I feel like this thread is so slow compared to other schools. not sure if its because of lower applicants or just the admissions process is slower but i sent an update last month and still havent heard anything from them

AFAIK our admissions process is on the slightly slower side. I believe we've only had two interview days with another coming up in the next week or two