2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for their coursework requirements, Idk if I'm in a dilemma because it asks for a year of general chemistry with lab but my university (UCSD for those also in the same boat) only offers one quarter of lab with three separate quarters of the general chem series (so the lab course is a whole course in itself with its own lectures). It's kinda the same for Ochem with us....anyone have input? :/ I really appreciate it!!
M3 here from another UC also with quarter system. I can't remember how I filled out the application, but it'll be fine. If you're really worried, send an email to admissions ([email protected]) and ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
M3 here from another UC also with quarter system. I can't remember how I filled out the application, but it'll be fine. If you're really worried, send an email to admissions ([email protected]) and ask.

Thanks so much for the input!

(This is for others) I played around with the course input and noticed that for the lab requirements, they only require at least one entry for a lab grade. So I guess all is well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the input!

(This is for others) I played around with the course input and noticed that for the lab requirements, they only require at least one entry for a lab grade. So I guess all is well!

So for the place where it asks "Lab included?" you just put the grade you got in the lab course? Nothing else? I was planning on using one of my bioengineering lab courses as the requirement.

So for the place where it asks "Lab included?" you just put the grade you got in the lab course? Nothing else? I was planning on using one of my bioengineering lab courses as the requirement.

Since the first box requires a lab grade (whether or not the course has a lab included) I would put the lab course in the first box, and then the non-lab lecture courses in the remaining boxes and just leave the "Lab grade" question blank since the later boxes don't require the grade.

this schools just a mess, not submitting a secondary sorry

Just received my secondary, I submitted AMCAS June 18th, was verified on 7/11

It is kinda weird that the "secondary" is just my Paypal info though

Edit: nevermind, I read through the rest of this thread. They will send you to the real secondary after you pay.

Last edited:
+1, verified on 07/21

Just received my secondary, I submitted AMCAS June 18th, was verified on 7/11

It is kinda weird that the "secondary" is just my Paypal info though

Edit: nevermind, I read through the rest of this thread. They will send you to the real secondary after you pay.

I just received the secondary, but I am hesitant about this institution. I live literally about 40 minutes away though so I may just pay the $100 because it would not cost anything for me to go to the interview.

Anyone having this issue: Part III-Prerequisites page-- Clicking No for "Lab Included?" opens dialogue for "Lab grade," but clicking Yes for "Lab Included" prevents from entering lab grade?... Not sure how to proceed...

Anyone having this issue: Part III-Prerequisites page-- Clicking No for "Lab Included?" opens dialogue for "Lab grade," but clicking Yes for "Lab Included" prevents from entering lab grade?... Not sure how to proceed...
Seems sensible to me. If you have 2 grades on your transcript, one for lecture and one for lab, then you click "No" so you can enter your lab grade. If you only have one grade then click "Lab Included" and enter that single, combined grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone writing for the "Recommended" prompt?

Verified 6/27 and still haven't heard anything from them. I have gotten secondaries from all the school that filter so I am not sure what is going on.

Verified 6/27 and still haven't heard anything from them. I have gotten secondaries from all the school that filter so I am not sure what is going on.

I submitted a primary here around July 18th and just received the secondary a few days ago. I would not worry too much it is still really early in the cycle.

For this question, would years after graduating college count as gap years?

5. [Optional] If your education has been discontinuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

For this question, would years after graduating college count as gap years?

5. [Optional] If your education has been discontinuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)
Yes. Unless you did another degree after graduation, such as postbac, MS, MPH, etc. And maybe even then it might be considered a gap year since you're not a "traditional" (going to med school straight after undergrad) student.

Any FAP recipients finally get their refunds processed yet? I guess given the inactivity of this thread relative to many others, nothing yet :/

Any FAP recipients finally get their refunds processed yet? I guess given the inactivity of this thread relative to many others, nothing yet :/
Last year it took about 3 months to recieve it in the mail.

anyone else having issues accessing the supp portal? i paid on 8/23 but still haven't gotten the email sending me to the portal.

Just to confirm, the only method of payment is via paypal? So we have to make a paypal account if we don't already have one?

Just to confirm, the only method of payment is via paypal? So we have to make a paypal account if we don't already have one?
I remember not having to make a paypal account, except I can't remember exactly what alternative I used...

Is anyone else having difficulty reaching the admissions via phone? I'm dialing 916-686-7300 (website) and 916-686-7860 (listed in email signature) and both pickup as being "unavailable."

Last edited:
My friend got an II a few days ago, btw. It looks like the school assigns interview dates rather than letting applicants pick.

My friend got an II a few days ago, btw. It looks like the school assigns interview dates rather than letting applicants pick.

When did your friend complete secondary and what interview date did he/she get assigned?

When did your friend complete secondary and what interview date did he/she get assigned?
Don't know when friend completed, but was assigned to 9/22. LizzyM is 80+ and is from NorCal.

(Trying really hard to not give any of my friend's personal information away, hence the lack of pronouns. Sorry if that makes it hard/awkward to read!)

Last edited:
Ugh I just noticed I missed the 21 day deadline for the secondary to be submitted :( Is there any hope of still submitting?

Ugh I just noticed I missed the 21 day deadline for the secondary to be submitted :( Is there any hope of still submitting?
My other friend asked and received an extension, no harm in emailing them to ask!

Reactions: 1 users
Current M1 here at CNUCOM, feel free to PM/reply me any questions if you have them and I'll do my best to answer them! :) We have a final exam coming up this Monday but after that I should be able to get back and answer most questions! Good luck everyone :heckyeah:

Any idea how long they take to send IIs to OOS applicants?

Any idea how long they take to send IIs to OOS applicants?
Should be same length as IS students as far as I know, so basically once they reach your application? I don't think there is any specific timeline difference.

Do they wave application fee for AMCAS FAP approved students? What is the process?

So, before I completed my secondary I emailed to see if they accepted the fee waivers. They said they did but that you had to pay first, and then afterward submit documentation for a reimbursement. I did that in July, and today I got an email saying that it was denied as "The College of Medicine is not accepting a fee waiver at this time."

I'm so confused...

SAME... pwned :wtf:

I definitely want to get that cleared up but I also don't want to jeopardize my likelihood of getting an interview...We will have to come up with a respectful response to question this. It seems very unprofessional and inappropriate to state that you will grant fee waivers and then take the money and say nevermind..

I definitely want to get that cleared up but I also don't want to jeopardize my likelihood of getting an interview...We will have to come up with a respectful response to question this. It seems very unprofessional and inappropriate to state that you will grant fee waivers and then take the money and say nevermind..

I agree, and take months (submitted mid-july) for any sort of response. If I knew they were going to be sneaky about this, I would have thought twice about applying.

Honestly, I might come off as harsh here, but this is a for-profit school, just like the schools in the Caribbean. These guys are snakes. They'll strip you of your money and toss you out - totally evil. Save yourself the trouble and put this school on your block list.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, and take months (submitted mid-july) for any sort of response. If I knew they were going to be sneaky about this, I would have thought twice about applying.
Yeah, that's why I asked before I completed the secondary because I wasn't going to do it. Really horrible of them.

May be another schools you applied they already charged. Maximum waiver is 16 medical school...

AMCAS Benefits
  • Waiver for all AMCAS fees for one (1) application submission with up to 16 medical school designations ($730 value), submitted by December 31, 2018.
Additional fees will be charged for each medical school designation beyond the initial set of 16.

May be another schools you applied they already charged. Maximum waiver is 16 medical school...

AMCAS Benefits
  • Waiver for all AMCAS fees for one (1) application submission with up to 16 medical school designations ($730 value), submitted by December 31, 2018.
Additional fees will be charged for each medical school designation beyond the initial set of 16.

They are referring to the secondary applications. What you wrote applies to the primary.

They are referring to the secondary applications. What you wrote applies to the primary.

Yeah that only applies to the primary. I emailed them specifically regarding the secondary application asking if they would grant fee waivers (before I completed it) and they replied yes and left me instructions on how to get reimbursed. Then they come back a few months later saying they don't....

upload_2017-9-27_14-46-35.png

to further support my frustration ...

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, what is frustrating is the lack of transparency. If they want my money, fine take it, but don't scam me out of it and lie that I would get it back...

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else got any interview invite or has done their interviews because i remember last year they did interviews in october and sent out invites in september. Not really that neurotic but they definitely seem a little slower this cycle.

I wish we could check our status.

I never even got a secondary from them. I’m out of state. But maybe they’re doing me a favor since they’re for-profit.