2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOLL:laugh: Wrong school as in you put in a completely different school name?? Or typed in their Kirksville school instead? Earlier today, I realized AFTER I submitted a different school's secondary, that I typed out the school's acronym slightly wrong in one of its secondary essays. I freaked out, but reading this made me feel a little better:)
No I literally wrote the wrong school name. THE FULL school name. It's as if I was applying to the University of Notre Dame and wrote Sarah Lawrence College instead (I couldn't even get the university/college correct).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No I literally wrote the wrong school name. THE FULL school name. It's as if I was applying to the University of Notre Dame and wrote Sarah Lawrence College instead (I couldn't even get the university/college correct).
Maybe they're just hella vindictive and granted you an II just so you can answer for your crimes. J/k I'm just amped for GoT returning. Congrats on your II!.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted Wednsday or Thursday and their office of diversity has been emailing me and their most recent email said they're really excited about my chances of getting an interview here. Has anyone else received this?

I submitted Wednsday or Thursday and their office of diversity has been emailing me and their most recent email said they're really excited about my chances of getting an interview here. Has anyone else received this?
Yup.

I dont think ive submitted my secondary yet! but u already had 14 pre-II rejections? this cycle??

Members don't see this ad :)
Who all is planning on attending the Thursday night Dean's welcome?

Would it be worth applying here with my stats? Stats in the signature.

Would it be worth applying here with my stats? Stats in the signature.
Your stats look solid, esp the gpa! Definitely give it a shot. From what I've been reading from past cycles, SOMA is interested in that "extra something" in addition to stats. If you can exhibit that in the essays, I'm sure they'll send you an invite.

I think I'll shoot for the 9/15 interview slot. If anyone else is interviewing then, lmk, cause I wanna say hi!

I noticed this school is making a big deal about "verifiable" EC's on their secondary. Most of my EC's are verifiable, but two of them are from several years ago and I'm 95% sure the contact person at both of those places has moved on. I'm not sure who else I could put down as I doubt anyone else would know me/vouch for me doing this stuff as it was pretty low-rung volunteering 5 years ago. Are they actually calling these places up to verify, or should I leave them off my app?

I noticed this school is making a big deal about "verifiable" EC's on their secondary. Most of my EC's are verifiable, but two of them are from several years ago and I'm 95% sure the contact person at both of those places has moved on. I'm not sure who else I could put down as I doubt anyone else would know me/vouch for me doing this stuff as it was pretty low-rung volunteering 5 years ago. Are they actually calling these places up to verify, or should I leave them off my app?
If the majority of your experiences are currently verifiable, you should be fine. I included a couple of volunteer experiences where my immediate supervisors had since moved on to new positions (and I just had the contacts for the organization, clinic, etc) and they still sent an II! :)

Beast of a secondary submitted today. What has been the turn around time between submission and II/rejection notification?

Also, from what I've heard..the school really emphasizes having volunteer experiences with the underserved populations. Hence, the section on the secondary with clinical and volunteering experience.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Haven't scheduled yet because I just saw the email but wooo super excited!

EDIT: just scheduled for 9/15!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II today, OOS
Can't make the September date so they said to monitor the portal and wait and see when October opens up. Hope this helps anyone who is looking to reschedule.

Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

my first rejection :(

First rejection of the cycle good luck everyone else

I submitted my secondary on the 25th. I've got a lot of ECs but they are largely military experience and work/school limited my ability to do volunteer hours as a civilian. That being said the work was as an ER tech. Who knows, I see a lot of people with better GPA/MCAT stats than me getting rejected.

I submitted my secondary on the 25th. I've got a lot of ECs but they are largely military experience and work/school limited my ability to do volunteer hours as a civilian. That being said the work was as an ER tech. Who knows, I see a lot of people with better GPA/MCAT stats than me getting rejected.
You said it: Who knows. Looking at the threads from past cycles and the current one, SOMA has been a bit surprising with regards to whom it invites. I feel that anyone with okay stats and a compelling story that matches the school's mission (with a track record to back it up) has a shot. Your clinical experience is definitely a plus.

Did anyone actually use the full 500 words for the prompts? All of mine are only coming out to 150-200 words.

Did anyone actually use the full 500 words for the prompts? All of mine are only coming out to 150-200 words.

All of my essays used up almost the entire 500-word limit. BUT I wish that they didn't lol. I try to keep my stuff concise but I couldn't convey everything important I wanted them to know, without using the max. limit =(

All of my essays used up almost the entire 500-word limit. BUT I wish that they didn't lol. I try to keep my stuff concise but I couldn't convey everything important I wanted them to know, without using the max. limit =(
There just isn't a lot I have to say for their particular questions, but at the same time I feel like I'm being too short or not elaborating enough.

I submitted my application early last week, but under status it still says LORs/test scores/application are not complete. Will those automatically update to complete over time (my LORs/scores were successfully submitted to AACOMAS)? Or do I need to do something? Thanks

Does anyone know the interviewed:accepted:matriculated ratio for this school?