2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Does anyone here know when tuition payment is due, considering we start orientation July 6th? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its weird that theres been no movement this week considering there was a major deadline on May 14th

Reactions: 4 users
Its weird that theres been no movement this week considering there was a major deadline on May 14th
Seriously.... It’s making me sorta doubtful/depressed. Time is ticking. Is there really going to be significant movement? :/

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously.... It’s making me sorta doubtful/depressed. Time is ticking. Is there really going to be significant movement? :/
SAME. The anxiety is so bad. And honestly, the shame. The shame of like telling my friends/family/docs that I got a conditional acceptance and them being so excited/happy because "an acceptance is an acceptance" but now it's all up in the air. :( I hope something happens soon. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah :/ i reached out to admissions too and haven’t gotten a reply back. Last year people were definitely moving on the list at this time and they were going to the alternate list in mid june. I know this school has done this for years so i want to trust them but im still nervous 😭

Yeah :/ i reached out to admissions too and haven’t gotten a reply back. Last year people were definitely moving on the list at this time and they were going to the alternate list in mid june. I know this school has done this for years so i want to trust them but im still nervous 😭
Theres also 190ish students in the atsu soma Facebook group… how does that make any sense?

Are you guys calling Desiree to ask about your rank or is does she have an email that I can write to. All they gave me was her number.

Are you guys calling Desiree to ask about your rank or is does she have an email that I can write to. All they gave me was her number.
I‘ve called her once but otherwise have just been emailing the AZ admissions email ([email protected]) because as far as I know she’s the one who handles that anyways?

How long does she usually take to reply? I have not gotten a response yet
I haven't emailed her this week, but prior to she replied within 24-30 hours. I'm going to assume she and the rest of the admission people are just busy either preparing to call people? Or they're trying to figure out how to tell all 180 people on the "conditional acceptance" list that they don't have space and probs won't be able to defer anyone. Idk. But yeah she usually replied pretty timely.

• Hmm
I haven't emailed her this week, but prior to she replied within 24-30 hours. I'm going to assume she and the rest of the admission people are just busy either preparing to call people? Or they're trying to figure out how to tell all 180 people on the "conditional acceptance" list that they don't have space and probs won't be able to defer anyone. Idk. But yeah she usually replied pretty timely.
Yeah that was the case before too but she hasn’t responded in a while! Thank you! Im hopeful that we will all get seats since they seem to be going through the 7s right now looking at the previous posts. Hopefully the 6s are next🤞🏽

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the phone call for the full acceptance, was conditionally accepted 5/6. Anyone care to explain why they chose going to this school, I am currently stuck between this one and another DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received the phone call for the full acceptance, was conditionally accepted 5/6. Anyone care to explain why they chose going to this school, I am currently stuck between this one and another DO school.
Do u mind telling us your rank?

Hi, may I ask which CHCs were open to you

After two application cycles, over forty 2°, and ten IIs, I can confidently say that this school's decision process is by far the worst I've seen. I truly don't understand the purpose of differentiating between being waitlisted and "selected pending an open seat". I know it's expected for schools to string you along, but this is really absurd. When they first called me post-interview, they congratulated me on being selected. They failed to mention the "pending an open seat" part, and I thought it was a full acceptance. To be fair to myself, who wouldn't? Applicants generally don't get a call from a school to be notified of being placed on a modified waitlist. I didn't realize what selection truly meant until they sent the selection notice later that week.

It's been almost 7 months now, and still no update. I'm glad I have another option available to me at this point, but I hope they seriously reflect on their procedure before putting another round of applicants through this.

Reactions: 5 users
After two application cycles, over forty 2°, and ten IIs, I can confidently say that this school's decision process is by far the worst I've seen. I truly don't understand the purpose of differentiating between being waitlisted and "selected pending an open seat". I know it's expected for schools to string you along, but this is really absurd. When they first called me post-interview, they congratulated me on being selected. They failed to mention the "pending an open seat" part, and I thought it was a full acceptance. To be fair to myself, who wouldn't? Applicants generally don't get a call from a school to be notified of being placed on a modified waitlist. I didn't realize what selection truly meant until they sent the selection notice later that week.

It's been almost 7 months now, and still no update. I'm glad I have another option available to me at this point, but I hope they seriously reflect on their procedure before putting another round of applicants through this.
Did you apply to ATSU SOMA twice? If so, were you accepted seat pending both times?

Did you apply to ATSU SOMA twice? If so, were you accepted seat pending both times?
No, this was the first time I applied to ATSU-SOMA. I know they have mentioned that historically all students in the selected category have been offered admission, but I don't think it's fair to cite precedence in a wholly abnormal application cycle (more applicants, earlier interview start dates and later interview end dates, fewer people declining interviews because no need to travel, etc.).

I reached out and emailed Desiree inquiring about my rank after being given a Notice of Selection and was told "we are not advising any more than we are still steadily working through our list". Any insight on this? Makes me think I am ranked at rock bottom. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I reached out and emailed Desiree inquiring about my rank after being given a Notice of Selection and was told "we are not advising any more than we are still steadily working through our list". Any insight on this? Makes me think I am ranked at rock bottom. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I am really confused by that statement. What does she mean by “We are not advising anymore?” We can’t reach out anymore and get updates?

I am really confused by that statement. What does she mean by “We are not advising anymore?” We can’t reach out anymore and get updates?
I probably should have mentioned this response was given to me on 5/13/2021.

Question. I'm on the alternate list. I asked a couple of weeks ago about my rank. They said I was 5.44 and that the highest was like 6.49 I think.
I see other people who are on the APS list talking about scores that go up to 9.
Is it structured so that if it's >6.49 it's APS but if it's <6.49 it's alternate list?
Or are they completely different scales?

I've been accepted at my first choice close to home, and I'll be giving my seat up. I hope it goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So it seems like those with offers have 14 days to submit deposits. There was a May 1st deadline, meaning more offers were given with a due date around the 14th. It also looks like there is a deadline for other offers this Friday, the 28th. With people rejecting/withdrawing their A's, more movement is likely to occur in the upcoming weeks.

It just sucks that those who will hear back in the upcoming weeks will have 6-ish weeks or less to prepare.

So it seems like those with offers have 14 days to submit deposits. There was a May 1st deadline, meaning more offers were given with a due date around the 14th. It also looks like there is a deadline for other offers this Friday, the 28th. With people rejecting/withdrawing their A's, more movement is likely to occur in the upcoming weeks.

It just sucks that those who will hear back in the upcoming weeks will have 6-ish weeks or less to prepare.
I could be wrong but I would imagine if you haven't received a full admission by the week of June 14th-18th, then chances are slim at best. I would be very surprised if lots of admitted students all of a sudden decide to give up their spot just 2 weeks out from orientation which starts July 5th. So here's hoping for much more movement these next 2 weeks.

Declined my offer to this school, I hope it goes to one of you on the conditional accepted list! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I too had multiple acceptances this year. Ultimately I chose ATSU because of the early exposure to clinical work and the fact that I am already a nurse working in the CHC where I will be assigned. I was recommended as a Hometown Scholar from HealthPoint Renton CHC. I also like the curriculum and the faculty with whom I have interacted so far have been amazing. I had 2 other schools whose admin and faculty were much colder and lacking communication. Hope this helps. You are free to private message me for more info.

Desperately hoping for movement this week!!!!!!!!!!!!! :/ :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I GOT MY OFFICIAL SEAT! I"M BALLING RIGHT NOW

Edit: interview 1/20, acceptance seat pending 1/28. I’ve been waiting forever so there’s hope people!!!!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
No new curricular changes for 2021-22, just a heads up. No PBL until the class of 2026 starts.

Reactions: 7 users
I just got my full acceptance too!!!!!! Please excuse my pessimism earlier, I really was feeling some type of way 😭. Contrary to my debbie-downer attitude, hope truly is not dead!!! That being said, I will be denying their offer of admission because I was accepted to another school closer to home. Best of luck to you all!!! Hope my spot goes to one of you 😊

Reactions: 6 users
I honestly can't remember because it was over the phone in January when they told me. I want to say like mid/low 7. Sorry!
Thanks anyway!
Congrats on the acceptance!

I just got my full acceptance too!!!!!! Please excuse my pessimism earlier, I really was feeling some type of way 😭. Contrary to my debbie-downer attitude, hope truly is not dead!!! That being said, I will be denying their offer of admission because I was accepted to another school closer to home. Best of luck to you all!!! Hope my spot goes to one of you 😊
Hi! Do you remember what your rank was?

Which CHCs were you able to get?
Desiree told me South Caroline and Alton, Illinois were available. I ranked SC above IL, but somehow ended up with Alton... I'm really hoping I'm not stuck with with IL, but not going to complain since I have an acceptance!

Desiree told me South Caroline and Alton, Illinois were available. I ranked SC above IL, but somehow ended up with Alton... I'm really hoping I'm not stuck with with IL, but not going to complain since I have an acceptance!
so you get placed in an open spot, but as people continuously withdraw etc you can still move up your CHC list right? :O

I currently have an acceptance at another school, but prefer SOMA over this school. However, location is a big factor for me, so I would only pick SOMA over my current acceptance if I can get in to certain CHC's. But obviously the CHC movement will continue trickling throughout the month... Does anyone how traffic rules, if any would affect my situation? 😭