2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.

Describe your academic readiness for medical school by answering one of the following questions:

• Describe your learning strategy and how this strategy will help you become a successful student at SOMA.
  • Describe any academic performance issues you have experienced and how you got back on course
Describe your understanding of a career as a osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:
  • Describe the essential traits of a osteopathic physician. Which one of your past experiences had the greatest influence on your choice of traits?
  • Of the following characteristics found in successful medical students, choose one that is important to you and explain why?
  • Confidence
  • Empathy
  • Discipline
  • Resilience
  • Integrity
  • Intelligence
  • Maturity
Describe your understanding of a career as an osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:
  • Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?
  • Which one of the osteopathic tenets do you most identify with at this point in your life? Explain why.
  • How do you envision incorporating osteopathic philosophy and practice as a physician?
Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions:
  • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
  • What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
  • How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine as well.

Edit: Submitted!

Last edited:
Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.

Describe your academic readiness for medical school by answering one of the following questions:.
  • Describe your learning strategy and how this strategy will help you become a successful student at SOMA..
    [*]Describe any academic performance issues you have experienced and how you got back on course.

Describe your understanding of a career as a osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:.
  • Describe the essential traits of a osteopathic physician. Which one of your past experiences had the greatest influence on your choice of traits?.
    [*]Of the following characteristics found in successful medical students, choose one that is important to you and explain why?.

• Confidence.
    [*]Empathy.
    [*]Discipline.
    [*]Resilience.
    [*]Integrity.
    [*]Intelligence.
    [*]Maturity.

Describe your understanding of a career as an osteopathic physician by answering one of the following questions:.
  • Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?.
    [*]Which one of the osteopathic tenets do you most identify with at this point in your life? Explain why..
    [*]How do you envision incorporating osteopathic philosophy and practice as a physician?.

Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions:.
  • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?.
    [*]What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?.
    [*]How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?.

All responses must be 500 words or less***

Sent from my iPhone using https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=223]SDN mobile[/url]

So if I understand it correctly, once you submit your secondary you're done; granted you have attached all your letters, test scores, etc. to your primary?

So if I understand it correctly, once you submit your secondary you're done; granted you have attached all your letters, test scores, etc. to your primary?
Yea, that's all you need. They'll be in contact about interview invites and denials in the future.

Does anyone else's show their letters or rec and test scores as missing after submitting?

Members don't see this ad :)
why in god's name is it asking for my sat, gre, and act scores and NOT my mcat score? i took the sat almost 10 years ago.

why in god's name is it asking for my sat, gre, and act scores and NOT my mcat score? i took the sat almost 10 years ago.
LOL I took the SAT in 2003. Their SAT input doesn't even support the old format.

At first glance the SOMA secondary looks like a beast, but its not totally terrible :shifty:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is wiggle room with the MD/DO letter? My letter comes from an MD who was my supervisor. I sent them an email but I anticipate I won't hear back for awhile.

Does anyone know if there is wiggle room with the MD/DO letter? My letter comes from an MD who was my supervisor. I sent them an email but I anticipate I won't hear back for awhile.
I sent in my application here last year with only an MD letter.....granted I spent over 300 hours with him and was involved in research with him as well so it was a good one. I interviewed last year, but didn't make it. I have a DO letter this year because I was asked about not having one and I figure it'll help me more this time around.

I sent in my application here last year with only an MD letter.....granted I spent over 300 hours with him and was involved in research with him as well so it was a good one. I interviewed last year, but didn't make it. I have a DO letter this year because I was asked about not having one and I figure it'll help me more this time around.

They responded and said my letter was fine. My issue isn't md or do but that it has to be someone you shadowed.

We are happy to inform you that your application for admission to A.T. Still University-School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona is now complete. Your admissions file is ready for review and you will be notified when a decision has been made regarding your application.

Good luck fam!

So I just read on the experiences section:

"List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar). Community health center and IHS experience must be verified by letter from the center."

Does anyone know if they are serious about this? My CHC experience was like 5 years ago.

Rejected Pre-Interview already.....have fun

Does anyone know their fee waiver process?
I'm almost certain you can only claim the waiver if you've been awarded the AACOMAS fee waiver.

I did and a few days after submitting my secondary it was approved.

Is anyone just copying and pasting the descriptions of their health care experience from their AACOMAS application onto the secondary? It seems kind of redundant....I don't understand why these schools can't just look at the primary application for this information

Is anyone just copying and pasting the descriptions of their health care experience from their AACOMAS application onto the secondary? It seems kind of redundant....I don't understand why these schools can't just look at the primary application for this information

I basically did that. Not sure what else they wanted.

Received rejection email, good luck to everyone vying for an interview.

Received rejection email, good luck to everyone vying for an interview.

Sorry to hear that. It looks like you've applied broadly, so chances are you'll get an opportunity sooner or later!

Reactions: 2 users
For the part where we have to put in our clinical experiences, what do I do if I am currently still participating in an experience? I'm not seeing anything to signify that the activity is still being done and it won't let me save the activity unless I put in an end date.

For the part where we have to put in our clinical experiences, what do I do if I am currently still participating in an experience? I'm not seeing anything to signify that the activity is still being done and it won't let me save the activity unless I put in an end date.

Maybe just put your anticipated end date then?

"List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience..."

I feel like I may be reading it wrong. Is it asking for experiences that are strictly volunteer, or is it asking for any kind of clinical or health experience, including paid?

"Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record."

Im confused by this question ): Is it referring to gaps during undergraduate studies or gaps after graduating college? I graduated last June and have just been mainly working since then. Does SOMA want to know the activities since graduation that I've been doing?

"Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record."

Im confused by this question ): Is it referring to gaps during undergraduate studies or gaps after graduating college? I graduated last June and have just been mainly working since then. Does SOMA want to know the activities since graduation that I've been doing?
I think they want you to answer that one. I think you only don't answer if you took classes this past spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Secondary received at 2:05AM!

My status for test score is showing as incomplete... But I submitted my score to AACOMAS! Shouldn't they should have sent the test score directly to the school? Anyone else experiencing this?

My status for test score is showing as incomplete... But I submitted my score to AACOMAS! Shouldn't they should have sent the test score directly to the school? Anyone else experiencing this?
Hm, how long ago did you submit and verify your score on aacomas?

Mine was the same way initially. I think their system takes a while to sync the mcat score to your profile for some reason. I think it took a week for mine to show up as completed

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Hm, how long ago did you submit and verify your score on aacomas?
06/21!

Mine was the same way initially. I think their system takes a while to sync the mcat score to your profile for some reason. I think it took a week for mine to show up as completed

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
I received the ATSU secondary on 06/22 though.. :/

06/21!

I received the ATSU secondary on 06/22 though.. :/
Interesting. Receiving a secondary means you passed the screens which require the mcat score, so they've seen it. Maybe they're just finalizing your app. If it gives you peace of mind, you could email Mike from admissions processing at [email protected]. He's real cool and helped me hunt down a phantom LOR :)

Interesting. Receiving a secondary means you passed the screens which require the mcat score, so they've seen it. Maybe they're just finalizing your app. If it gives you peace of mind, you could email Mike from admissions processing at [email protected]. He's real cool and helped me hunt down a phantom LOR :)
Thanks! Just e-mailed him