2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an II recently, but I already accepted and paid the deposit for LECOM Erie campus. What school is better? Should I even try to interview when so many people have received APS?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an II recently, but I already accepted and paid the deposit for LECOM Erie campus. What school is better? Should I even try to interview when so many people have received APS?
Depends on what you’re looking for in a med school and other factors that you’re weighing (proximity to home, location, etc.)

I interviewed at both schools and I would pick ATSU KCOM over LECOM times a million. Didn't get great vibes from LECOM interview but loved the interview experience at ATSU KCOM. But these DO deposits are pricey, so understandable if you can't afford another deposit having put one down for LECOM already. At the end of the day, LECOM will still provide you with what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both schools and I would pick ATSU KCOM over LECOM times a million. Didn't get great vibes from LECOM interview but loved the interview experience at ATSU KCOM. But these DO deposits are pricey, so understandable if you can't afford another deposit having put one down for LECOM already. At the end of the day, LECOM will still provide you with what you're looking for.

That comparison is little strong. Just look at the pass rate and match list. LECOM'S (all campuses) pass rate is way higher than ATSU KCOM and match list is excellent and most importantly they are doing this by charging $92K less total comparing to ATSU KCOM. LECOM is one of the cheapest DO schools. Also, Erie is bigger and better located (not land locked). Eating lunch by that big beautiful Lake Erie, priceless!

That comparison is little strong. Just look at the pass rate and match list. LECOM'S (all campuses) pass rate is way higher than ATSU KCOM and match list is excellent and most importantly they are doing this by charging $92K less total comparing to ATSU KCOM. LECOM is one of the cheapest DO schools. Also, Erie is bigger and better located (not land locked). Eating lunch by that big beautiful Lake Erie, priceless!

As important as match rates and pass rates are, they are many times person dependent. I would say to also analyze other factors of these schools bc med school is hard enough as it is, having to show up to 8 am lecture every day in professional attire and be treated like a child will not make it any easier. I also interviewed at both schools and also got negative vibes from LECOM. Obviously though it will definitely get you where you want to be and you can’t really go wrong with either school! Ultimately it really depends on you and what you prioritize more!

Reactions: 2 users
As important as match rates and pass rates are, they are many times person dependent. I would say to also analyze other factors of these schools bc med school is hard enough as it is, having to show up to 8 am lecture every day in professional attire and be treated like a child will not make it any easier. I also interviewed at both schools and also got negative vibes from LECOM. Obviously though it will definitely get you where you want to be and you can’t really go wrong with either school! Ultimately it really depends on you and what you prioritize more!
Also if you look at the most recent pass rate for level 1 at kcom for the 2021/2022 year it’s 95.5% :)

Eerie is a much bigger town, probably more diverse too, than Kirksville. Think about your identity and how that fits into it too. I, as POC, got very negative and discriminatory vibes from the town of Kirksville and I am not sure I would be comfortable living there for 4 years. I didn't think it would matter to me as much given that it's a great school, but boy am I glad I went to that in person interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any current students who can give insight on whether there are free clinic opportunities at KCOM?

Are there any current students who can give insight on whether there are free clinic opportunities at KCOM?
Hi! I'm a current second year. Yes! We have a student-run free clinic with still-caring club on campus that works with both dental and medical students with overseeing faculty. It involves dental cleanings, lab draws, taking history and physicals, and then OMM treatments if they qualify. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions :)

I randomly got a call from admissions suggesting that I complete my secondary (never got around to it tbh) because my primary app "falls within acceptable parameters" and they still have "interview spots open".... anyone else get this? what should I do? I have three other DO interviews and wouldn't mind interviewing at ATSU as well, but I don't know if I'll actually get an interview if I go through with this and I'm in the middle of exams with my master's program.

I randomly got a call from admissions suggesting that I complete my secondary (never got around to it tbh) because my primary app "falls within acceptable parameters" and they still have "interview spots open".... anyone else get this? what should I do? I have three other DO interviews and wouldn't mind interviewing at ATSU as well, but I don't know if I'll actually get an interview if I go through with this and I'm in the middle of exams with my master's program.
If you can afford it I would submit a secondary. Just be aware that interviews are in person so that could be a factor

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if they accept letters of interest or letters of intent?

Does anyone have insight on being on the "interview waitlist"/application hold pre interview? I got an email at the end of January saying there could be a review of my file again in March/April. Is this a soft R or is there even a chance of being accepted at this time? I am waitlisted rn at other schools, but am still waiting on an acceptance and starting to stress as the cycle progresses.

Hi,

I am Interviewing this month. I have read in this thread that KCOM was completely filled back in December and since then they have been giving out APS (acceptance pending seat) to applicants they would like at their school. I would like to know if people that have received an APS have been accepted for this July and also if there has been anyone recently that has Interviewed and got immediately accepted without receiving an APS first. Thanks

Hi,

I am Interviewing this month. I have read in this thread that KCOM was completely filled back in December and since then they have been giving out APS (acceptance pending seat) to applicants they would like at their school. I would like to know if people that have received an APS have been accepted for this July and also if there has been anyone recently that has Interviewed and got immediately accepted without receiving an APS first. Thanks
Hey! yeah I interviewed back in Jan, placed on APS early Feb, and just got offered a seat. So it's totally possible!

Hey! yeah I interviewed back in Jan, placed on APS early Feb, and just got offered a seat. So it's totally possible!
I’m also APS at this school. If you don’t mind me asking, when in Jan did you interview? Also did you send a letter intent?

I’m also APS at this school. If you don’t mind me asking, when in Jan did you interview? Also did you send a letter intent?
I interviewed late Jan, and no letter of intent! I wasn't expecting such a fast turnaround, but it is towards the end of the interview season, so I guess spots might be opening up.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of y'all! Best of luck

Just got a hold notification for late March/April. Does that mean soft R or maybe a pending II? Seems weird to get that notification so late in the game and it not be a flat rejection notice?

Just got a hold notification for late March/April. Does that mean soft R or maybe a pending II? Seems weird to get that notification so late in the game and it not be a flat rejection notice?
Wondering the same thing. I got my pre II hold in late January though (for march/April review) and still haven’t heard back.

Wondering the same thing. I got my pre II hold in late January though (for march/April review) and still haven’t heard back.
same I was think of writing a letter of interest, but idk. I don't want to look desperate tbh, but I also wanna know what's going on
lolol

same I was think of writing a letter of interest, but idk. I don't want to look desperate tbh, but I also wanna know what's going on
lolol
I sent an update letter and someone from admissions replied within 30 mins! I don’t know how much it’ll help but definitely doesn’t hurt to try.

lolol

I merely sent an update letter last weekend and got an interview invite on Monday. Go for it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
lolol
IMO, you shouldn't be worrying about looking desperate, this is the time to put our egos and pride aside, and show schools we are interested in them, and are willing to put in the consistent time and effort into pursuing what we feel is our place at their institution. Letters of interest, updates, are good ways to show them that we are still working at it. It can make all the difference, especially when they are considering so many candidates who are all deserving. Deservingness and credentials being established, I feel like interest and likeliness to attend the program are also important factors. Some institutions have even stated that they consider those things when sending interview invites and acceptance offers.

Reactions: 4 users
I am trying to decide between this school and KCU-Joplin. I like KCU's curriculum in the first two years, but KCOM has rotation sites in areas I want to go to. Advice?

I am trying to decide between this school and KCU-Joplin. I like KCU's curriculum in the first two years, but KCOM has rotation sites in areas I want to go to. Advice?
I'd lean towards KCU - Joplin. Here's why:
  1. Tuition is $10K cheaper than ATSU KCOM ($40k + interest% saving). Cost of living is cheap in both Joplin and Kirksville, so similar in that terms.
  2. It's Pass/Fail (!!), whereas ATSU KCOM is a graded system. I imagine this to be a huge help in terms of stress in medical school as it gives you more time/focus for board exams as well as time for yourself.
  3. And KCU's residency match rate has consistently been 99.5%+ and 100% some years. Students often match into competitive residencies too, such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, and dermatology. I think that speaks volumes of the school's education.

if I got an email about their masters program extending their deadline is that a silent R.. rip lol

APS! interview 3/13!

You're invited to my new group 'ATSU-KCOM class of 2027' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

I am APS at ATSU KCOM and I got into KansasCOM. I am really worried as KansasCOM is a new school but I don't know if I can live in a small town for ATSU KCOM. But I like the rotation sites better at ATSU. I don't know what to do. Any advice will be helpful.

I am APS at ATSU KCOM and I got into KansasCOM. I am really worried as KansasCOM is a new school but I don't know if I can live in a small town for ATSU KCOM. But I like the rotation sites better at ATSU. I don't know what to do. Any advice will be helpful.

ATSU is one of the top DO schools in the country, KansasCOM hasn’t even graduated their first class yet and doesn’t even have accreditation yet. With all due respect, I would 100000% pick ATSU if you end up getting a seat. I think it will be worth living in small town for a few years. If it’s a matter of getting a better chance at your choice of residency, attending an institution that has been around for SO many years and has a well established record of excellence, IMO it would be a questionable choice to weigh city living as being more important than those. Again, that is my opinion and that’s the choice I would make :). I really really hope you are accepted from the APS list soon!!

youre only in kirksville for 2 years! after that you get to move to a more urban area! i heard they recently even added a las vegas site :)

• Wow
Hi guys! I need help, I'm in between SOMA, KCOM, LECOM (Erie), LMU-DMU, and TouroCOM (Middletown). Im super fortunate to have As to these places and want to hear personal experiences that people have had/heard about before making a choice. I'd appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Hi guys! I need help, I'm in between SOMA, KCOM, LECOM (Erie), LMU-DMU, and TouroCOM (Middletown). Im super fortunate to have As to these places and want to hear personal experiences that people have had/heard about before making a choice. I'd appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!
Idk about the others, but I would exclude LMU from the list. Fairly recently established and nowhere near the record of success as some of those others on that list.

I got into KCOM and LMU-DCOM and I am choosing to go to LMU-DCOM. If you want to PM me I can share with you why I made that choice.

I have heard some pretty negative things about SOMA. I was accepted there, and, due to their very unique curriculum that revolved around working in community centers, I rejected the offer. There is a big thread on some of the problems with SOMA on here from last year. It includes stuff that was posted on reddit as well. Just seemed like there was a lot of red flags.

2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

I have heard some pretty negative things about SOMA. I was accepted there, and, due to their very unique curriculum that revolved around working in community centers, I rejected the offer. There is a big thread on some of the problems with SOMA on here from last year. It includes stuff that was posted on reddit as well. Just seemed like there was a lot of red flags.

2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA
I also heard this and ended up not even submitting my secondary bc I knew if I got accepted I wouldn't go there anyway

ATSU is one of the top DO schools in the country, KansasCOM hasn’t even graduated their first class yet and doesn’t even have accreditation yet. With all due respect, I would 100000% pick ATSU if you end up getting a seat. I think it will be worth living in small town for a few years. If it’s a matter of getting a better chance at your choice of residency, attending an institution that has been around for SO many years and has a well established record of excellence, IMO it would be a questionable choice to weigh city living as being more important than those. Again, that is my opinion and that’s the choice I would make :). I really really hope you are accepted from the APS list soon!!
Thank you for your honest opinion lol. I'm still APS here. What about ATSU KCOM vs WCUCOM?

Off APS today! Deposit done 😇
  • Primary submitted: 12/2/22
  • Secondary email: 12/15/22
  • Secondary submitted: 1/3/2023
  • II email: 02/06/2023
  • II date: 02/17/2023
  • APS: 02/27/2023
  • Off APS: 04/03/2023

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks everyone! After evaluating some factors, I decided to go with LECOM. I withdrew my other acceptances and hope it goes out to you amazing people!! Good luck!