2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry about that. Keep your head up! When were you complete?

Secondary App in on 7/1, letters and MCAT on 7/5. Wow, they were pretty fast with the rejection!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I haven't submitted my secondary yet and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it...seems like a bunch of people are already getting rejections

Definitely put your app in, you never know what they're looking for!

cGPA of 3.7ish, MCAT of 503.

Damn, similar stats here. MCAT is little lower, but I am retaking soon. I have tons of work experience during undergrad tho, research experience, 2 publications, DO letter, community service and i am underrepresented in medicine. (I hope this helps me somehow, and that my MCAT is better than last). Good luck to you tho

Members don't see this ad :)

My GPA is lower than yours but my MCAT is a 508. I just don't want to do the 5 essays I guess lol. Plus I don't really like the 1 + 3 curriculum layout

Finally complete!

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected.
Stats: cGPA: 3.45 with a 504

I'm sorry about that :( Keep your head up!
When were you complete?
Already got some IIs from other schools, so no worries! I was slow to post on here. I submitted on the 25th of June and I was rejected on the 5th of July. Good luck to everyone else!

What does ATSU-SOMA look for in applicants? Seems like the people getting rejected have decent stats.

Is the 20+ hour requirement from a letter writer a hard and fast requirement? I received a letter from a clinician from less than that hour but it was a high quality shadowing experience. Also, shadowed an MD for 20+ hours but she had personal situations that prevented her from getting my letters in on time so asked a DO who I worked with for less hours instead...

Is the 20+ hour requirement from a letter writer a hard and fast requirement? I received a letter from a clinician from less than that hour but it was a high quality shadowing experience. Also, shadowed an MD for 20+ hours but she had personal situations that prevented her from getting my letters in on time so asked a DO who I worked with for less hours instead...
I mean i doubt the letter writer will mention how long you shadowed them for... so I think you should be fine. The other thing is that they can look at your primary and see that it was for less than 20hrs.

I mean i doubt the letter writer will mention how long you shadowed them for... so I think you should be fine. The other thing is that they can look at your primary and see that it was for less than 20hrs.
But would they disregard my app because I didn't meet this requirement? The only reason I ask is that schools like University of Arizona-Tuscon has a hard and fast requirement taht we get a letter from a clinician or they completely disregard our apps... thanks!

But would they disregard my app because I didn't meet this requirement? The only reason I ask is that schools like University of Arizona-Tuscon has a hard and fast requirement taht we get a letter from a clinician or they completely disregard our apps... thanks!

I see your point now. I am not sure, but this is what i would suggest; call the admissions office, and explain this to them. Additionally, keep shadowing the DO and make sure that you surpass those 20hrs. Then you can give them updates later. Just tell the admissions office that you did not want to delay your letter, and the DO would be unavailable to write the letter after u completed the 20hrs req, but he agreed to writing it as long as you keep shadowing him until you reach the req. Or something like that .. see if it flies.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can call the admissions office and ask, they are very friendly. I called because I have a LOR from a DO I work for, not one I shadowed. He said that was fine as long as it speaks to my clinical experience. You'll probably be okay but I would just call to make sure.

Struggled with the clinical experience, have a lot of paid experience but very little volunteering/shadowing.

With all these rejections, I'm hoping no news is good news? Secondary was submitted on 6/25 and verified as completed on 6/27.

With all these rejections, I'm hoping no news is good news? Secondary was submitted on 6/25 and verified as completed on 6/27.
I assume so! II's were sent out on 08/10/16 last cycle so I think no news until August time frame is probably a good sign :)

Just got rejected like Dikembe Mutombo. Submitted on 6/29.

Good luck to everyone!

II just now!!

Reactions: 1 users
II just now via email!

Can you share your stats?
3.49 sgpa 3.59 cgpa 508 mcat non-traditional military background. Not a lot of underserved experience so I kind of expected a rejection here. Good luck to everyone with current and future interviews!

I definitely jinxed myself! Rejectionnn! Stings a little. sGPA 3.6 MCAT 509. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
3.49 sgpa 3.59 cgpa 508 mcat non-traditional military background. Not a lot of underserved experience so I kind of expected a rejection here. Good luck to everyone with current and future interviews!

Sorry about that. Your stats are good! I'm surprised. When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview invite!!

cGPA: 3.55 - 3.6
sGPA: 3.8 -3.85
MCAT: 510

Also, my wife is a grad of a different program of this campus :laugh:
With those stats i can almost guarantee that you will get in somewhere given the rest of your application is decent! Good Luck!. I actually applied here by mistake, but let's see what happens. :joyful:

Congrats! When were you complete? :)

I submitted my primary on the very first day, all my letters of Rec were uploaded within the week and I submitted the secondary about a week after receiving it.

My stats are kinda low tho-
3.5 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
502 mcat
I think I got the interview invite because of the amount of extracurricular service I have.

How the heck did you get rejected?
I'm guessing they saw something they didn't like about my application. There's no rhyme or reason to the admissions game. You are either an attractive applicant to the school or you're not. It's a long cycle, and I've still got 36 more schools that need to reject me before I'll be upset :)

Reactions: 5 users
I'm guessing they saw something they didn't like about my application. There's no rhyme or reason to the admissions game. You are either an attractive applicant to the school or you're not. It's a long cycle, and I've still got 36 more schools that need to reject me before I'll be upset :)
I was a little discouraged by this one. We're gonna get it! Good luck to you!

Rejected.
sGPA: 3.73 cGPA: 3.74
MCAT 503
Some of these stats they've rejected are surprising. I wonder if they have a really high acceptance rate of those offered interview?

I wrote the wrong school name on the secondary and still got in

LOLL:laugh: Wrong school as in you put in a completely different school name?? Or typed in their Kirksville school instead? Earlier today, I realized AFTER I submitted a different school's secondary, that I typed out the school's acronym slightly wrong in one of its secondary essays. I freaked out, but reading this made me feel a little better:)