2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to those who received interviews! Are you all early decision?

Verified 7/28 but still no secondary from here! Is this normal or have I been pre screened out...? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 7/28 but still no secondary from here! Is this normal or have I been pre screened out...? :)
They were a bit later than other schools so I would give it some time. I would wait maybe til Aug 10 before contacting them. I was verified 6/9 and got my app 7/8. A lot of school sent theirs out 6/30-7/5. So, give it some time.

Good luck! :)

II yesterday morning. My interview is 9/14. Anyone know the earliest dates people are interviewing?

Reactions: 1 users
They were a bit later than other schools so I would give it some time. I would wait maybe til Aug 10 before contacting them. I was verified 6/9 and got my app 7/8. A lot of school sent theirs out 6/30-7/5. So, give it some time.

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I'll finish up my other ones first then :)

Finally small-pooled here today! :) I was complete early/mid July, so given the thread evidence, must not be a totally linear process here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I just got a speeding ticket (39 in a 30 ) should I email them?
Oh gosh...probably best to contact them. Such unfortunate timing, though! :(

Hello.. I just checked my online applicant center for UVM yesterday and I have been put in the pool of students that might get an interview. UVM is my top choice of med school. I am from NH and I really want to stay in the area, but I am not quite competitive enough to get into to schools like Harvard, BU, and Tufts. I am considering e-mailing admissions telling them that I have been pooled under "maybes" and then express my high interest in the school. Is this a good idea? I really don't want to fall through the cracks of a school very important to me.

Hello.. I just checked my online applicant center for UVM yesterday and I have been put in the pool of students that might get an interview. UVM is my top choice of med school. I am from NH and I really want to stay in the area, but I am not quite competitive enough to get into to schools like Harvard, BU, and Tufts. I am considering e-mailing admissions telling them that I have been pooled under "maybes" and then express my high interest in the school. Is this a good idea? I really don't want to fall through the cracks of a school very important to me.
I probably would not do that honestly. Everyone that is applying is very interested in attending and I think it could be misconstrued by adcom because they already know that you are interested.

I would wait until emailing

Yes, obviously everyone is interested in applying to certain school... but I wouldn't say everyone's top choice school is UVM.

Yes, obviously everyone is interested in applying to certain school... but I wouldn't say everyone's top choice school is UVM.

Usually this is considered a letter of interest, and unless you can pair it with a genuine update (like you got a new job), I wouldn't email them just to say you're interested.

For example, UVM is my top choice as well, and a couple weeks ago I got a TA position in the fall for a graduate level class, so I wrote a letter updating them about the new job but also about how interested I was. If you can pair it together with something, I would say go for it. But I'm not sure they would really love just a letter saying its your top choice by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok, thank you that is very helpful. Currently waiting on a paper that is under review in Nature. Hopefully it gets accepted soon and I can update them!!

Usually this is considered a letter of interest, and unless you can pair it with a genuine update (like you got a new job), I wouldn't email them just to say you're interested.

For example, UVM is my top choice as well, and a couple weeks ago I got a TA position in the fall for a graduate level class, so I wrote a letter updating them about the new job but also about how interested I was. If you can pair it together with something, I would say go for it. But I'm not sure they would really love just a letter saying its your top choice by itself.

I just got a new job at a hospital, but hadn't thought to email them. Do you think I should? I super love UVM, even though I am a MA resident I basically grew up in VT. Currently I am small pooled.

I just got a new job at a hospital, but hadn't thought to email them. Do you think I should? I super love UVM, even though I am a MA resident I basically grew up in VT. Currently I am small pooled.

There's no downside in my mind.

Good Morninng! I was wondering if this status is the small pool status you guys have been talking about?
"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. Interviews are scheduled between late August and mid-March. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview. We appreciate your interest in the University of Vermont and your patience with the admissions process."

Good Morninng! I was wondering if this status is the small pool status you guys have been talking about?
"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. Interviews are scheduled between late August and mid-March. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview. We appreciate your interest in the University of Vermont and your patience with the admissions process."

Yup

Just checked the portal and found that I was selected for an interview, but the "schedule" button is nowhere to be found. Has anyone else run into the same problem?

Just checked the portal and found that I was selected for an interview, but the "schedule" button is nowhere to be found. Has anyone else run into the same problem?
You did not get email?

For those who are interviewing on 9/14, where are you guys staying? I'm trying to figure out which hotel is the best deal/closest but also considering the bed and breakfast (which I've never done before so I'm kind of nervy to try it out). Plus I have to stay for 2 nights..:(

For those who are interviewing on 9/14, where are you guys staying? I'm trying to figure out which hotel is the best deal/closest but also considering the bed and breakfast (which I've never done before so I'm kind of nervy to try it out). Plus I have to stay for 2 nights..:(

I'm staying at the Best Western Plus. They have a shuttle service to/from the airport as well as to the University itself. If you mention that you're staying there for an interview they'll bring the daily rate down to ~$110/night.

I got an Airbnb. I was 50 or 60 for the night.

Hey guys. Im new to the student doctor network, but reading this thread has been really helpful and interesting. I received an email today that I have gotten an interview. Super exciting and also terrifying. I was just wondering how you guys are (or how your are planing to) prepare for the MMI method UVM uses.

Hey guys. Im new to the student doctor network, but reading this thread has been really helpful and interesting. I received an email today that I have gotten an interview. Super exciting and also terrifying. I was just wondering how you guys are (or how your are planing to) prepare for the MMI method UVM uses.
So AAMC just recently had a "Mastering Medical School Interviews" event, where they interviewed Duke that uses MMI and other schools that use traditional formats. I would look up that video, it was awesome. Also, I just did a mock interview at my university where they went over ethical things and MMI stuff. Finally, just look up practice prompts and record yourself haha See how silly (or not) you sound answering these ethical/mmi things.

Just got an email for an II! Lizzy M ~72-73, small pooled around very late July :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I just submitted my secondary application and my portal says it has been received. However, I have not received any email confirmation, is this normal? It also says I can check the status of my reccomendations at the bottom of the page but nothings there except some blurb about vermont residency and related links. Where in the portal do I check my status?

Does anyone known if they have a student host program for interviewers? My Airbnb only costs $50 so it's not terrible but free is always better!

Does anyone known if they have a student host program for interviewers? My Airbnb only costs $50 so it's not terrible but free is always better!

We do have a student host program. Usually, there should be a link in the interview invite to sign up for the host program, but I am not sure if that is true for this year.

And definitely save money where you can!