2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they not send secondaries to everyone? I'm a bit confused by their process...could be that I'm following so many other schools too:/

Did you get a secondary yet, or are you just asking in general?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they not send secondaries to everyone? I'm a bit confused by their process...could be that I'm following so many other schools too:/

They do not, they are screened per MSAR (but I couldn't find any info on their page)

Secondary submitted 7/14 and received the small pool status today.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know the chances of getting in here as IS? I've heard it's not that hard but haven't really found any concrete evidence.

Small pooled here as well
How long did it take to be put in the small pool? I just submitted on saturday, so I'm hoping before this time next week I'll make it in.

I'm in the pool!

Reactions: 2 users
That was crazy quick!
Yeah in the past they were saying 6-8 weeks for preliminary review. They must not have many secondaries completed yet. I'm trying to stay realistic about it though because I've seen everything from only 2000 applicants get in the pool to everybody does.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the small pool if I may ask?

Also if I have a committee packet with letters, do I need to mention who my science writers, etc. are?

Submitted Saturday and small pooled too! Looks like everyone is getting small pooled, don't see the point .

not everyone was small pooled last cycle - and just from what I remember, it took FOREVER to get small pooled for me last cycle, I believe I completed mid-August. So, maybe being early is paying off especially well there, or maybe they are just throwing everyone in, who knows

Hey there applicants,

I'm an incoming MS1 here at UVM. If you have any questions about the application process here, I'd be glad to answer.

Is anyone writing comments about the pre-reqs? Should this be used to explain a bad grade, or is it only meant for special cases?

Secondary received 7/19, submitted 7/21, OOS and this is definitely one of my top choices! Just waiting on my committee letter to be approved and submitted, which is testing my patience. Anyone know how long it takes for UVM to get the letters after they've been submitted to AMCAS? Thanks!

I was put in the small pool about a week ago and now it says "We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks."

Anyone else experience this? I can't tell if it's a glitch or if they took me out of the small pool...

I was put in the small pool about a week ago and now it says "We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks."

Anyone else experience this? I can't tell if it's a glitch or if they took me out of the small pool...

Mine also says this after being small-pooled. I read it like they are now making decisions on interviews versus rejections from the pool :)

^ mine also changed to under review

Maybe being still pooled is bad. Or maybe they didnt get to mine yet since I was pooled later. Im going to stop trying to read into the mind**** of med school admissions.

Last edited:
Maybe being still pooled is bad. Or maybe they didnt get to mine yet since I was pooled later. Im going to stop trying to read into the mind**** of med school admissions.

I wrote this in the non-trad thread but heres my take:

After going through the application process last cycle, and nearly driving myself crazy - I have come into this cycle with a new viewpoint and mindset. First off, once your apps are in, everything is out of your hands. Stressing, over-reading into things, etc are not going to help you. Last year I would wake up every morning with my phone next to me, and check my emails before I could even fully open my eyes to check if I had any new emails from med schools. I was waking up hours earlier than I normally would, and without an alarm...which isn't normal for me. I watched the school specific threads, and saw other people getting in, getting rejected, and tried to analyze every drop of info and apply it to myself. A year later -

I have come to terms with the idea that this process is out of my hands. Truthfully, we know almost nothing about how the process works, every school is different, and a huge part of this is luck; who read your essay, was it at the beginning of the day or the end when they just want to go home after reading 50 essays. Were they having a bad day? Did the person that relates with your story read your essay, or was it the person that hates fixies and you wrote about how you love to ride yours around town. Reviewers are human - and it's good to keep that in mind. When a school is receiving 8-10k apps for a couple hundred spots at most, and most applicants have similar stats, backgrounds, etc...how do you actually make those choices. We have boiled down 5-10 years of our lives into a couple essays, activity boxes, and some data points (GPA/MCAT).

Lastly, SDN, redditpremed, etc, is all sort of self selecting, and I would venture to say not very representative of the application pool as a whole. You have gunners, and people that are generally more involved in the process on here, and so it is going to be top heavy. You also are more likely to see people posting about success than failure. So keep these things in mind when you are on here, and remember that these school specific threads are enough to drive anyone to a nervous breakdown. Proceed with caution, and practice good mental hygiene!

Reactions: 18 users

After going through the application process last cycle, and nearly driving myself crazy - I have come into this cycle with a new viewpoint and mindset. First off, once your apps are in, everything is out of your hands. Stressing, over-reading into things, etc are not going to help you. Last year I would wake up every morning with my phone next to me, and check my emails before I could even fully open my eyes to check if I had any new emails from med schools. I was waking up hours earlier than I normally would, and without an alarm...which isn't normal for me. I watched the school specific threads, and saw other people getting in, getting rejected, and tried to analyze every drop of info and apply it to myself. A year later -

I have come to terms with the idea that this process is out of my hands. Truthfully, we know almost nothing about how the process works, every school is different, and a huge part of this is luck; who read your essay, was it at the beginning of the day or the end when they just want to go home after reading 50 essays. Were they having a bad day? Did the person that relates with your story read your essay, or was it the person that hates fixies and you wrote about how you love to ride yours around town. Reviewers are human - and it's good to keep that in mind. When a school is receiving 8-10k apps for a couple hundred spots at most, and most applicants have similar stats, backgrounds, etc...how do you actually make those choices. We have boiled down 5-10 years of our lives into a couple essays, activity boxes, and some data points (GPA/MCAT).

Lastly, SDN, redditpremed, etc, is all sort of self selecting, and I would venture to say not very representative of the application pool as a whole. You have gunners, and people that are generally more involved in the process on here, and so it is going to be top heavy. You also are more likely to see people posting about success than failure. So keep these things in mind when you are on here, and remember that these school specific threads are enough to drive anyone to a nervous breakdown. Proceed with caution, and practice good mental hygiene!
Second time on the merry-go-round for me as well and agree 100%.

Reactions: 1 users

Good insight and I agree.

Quick question, is anyone leaving the additional information section blank? There are only 1000 characters, and I have something I could potentially put in there, but I don't know if in 1000 characters it will be impactful enough to add to my app.

Btw, I checked again and my status got changed back to being in the small pool. False alarm I guess! Never checking any statuses again until I get an email. Thank you for all the insight!

I think I love you. Thank you for posting this, many of us (myself included) needed to hear it! Wishing you the best of luck this time around!!!

Quick question, is anyone leaving the additional information section blank? There are only 1000 characters, and I have something I could potentially put in there, but I don't know if in 1000 characters it will be impactful enough to add to my app.
Only if you have additional information

So would me being featured in a research video for my undergraduate institution to inspire future students to be involved in research count?
probably not.

eta: unless its because you were a research participant and not just an "actor". then its up to you if you think that's relevant or not.

probably not.

eta: unless its because you were a research participant and not just an "actor". then its up to you if you think that's relevant or not.
I was. It was about why I became involved in research, featured me working in my lab and talking about my project. It is used as a recruitment tool now for my undergraduate institution and was actually part of the video played at my university's graduation ceremony. It is not anywhere else in my app, so I thought it would count, but I wasn't sure if it was the type of thing they were looking for.

I was. It was about why I became involved in research, featured me working in my lab and talking about my project. It is used as a recruitment tool now for my undergraduate institution and was actually part of the video played at my university's graduation ceremony. It is not anywhere else in my app, so I thought it would count, but I wasn't sure if it was the type of thing they were looking for.
I think that's a pretty nifty little tidbit about you that might stand out to someone. It can't do you any harm anyway. I would add it if I were you

I agree. While it's probably not gonna make you stand out any more than before, if it comes down to a decision it may be a little cool thing to push you over the edge into the promised land

Personally, I would absolutely mention it. Say something about how big of an honor it was and how happy you are to contribute in this small way to the next generation of researchers at your school.

Personally, I would absolutely mention it. Say something about how big of an honor it was and how happy you are to contribute in this small way to the next generation of researchers at your school.
Awesome. That is exactly the direction I went with it, I just needed a little confidence boost in using it from other people. I also talked about how it helped hone my communication skills which will help in the future when I want to mentor residents in a teaching hospital.

Did you guys get an email about being placed in the small pool?

Does your status actually say "small" pool? Mine currently says "You are in a pool of applicants to which an interview may be extended." Is that bad?

Yes!!! Didn't want to get excited too early :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted the secondary. Now the wait begins.

Did anyone use the space for Additional Info to explain bad grades or something of that sort? It says to "list additional info" so Idk if a short 1000 char essay would be appropriate.

I tend to stray away from adding "additional info" unless it's really necessary. Like if you got a couple D's or something, then maybe. Other wise I would leave it blank.