2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed. Think of it from the point of view of whomever is reading them. Unless it's something that needs to be in there - then leaving it blank would give them a bit of a break. No one wants to read fluff, especially if you are trying to get through 8k applications

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT: I submitted but man this website is awfully buggy isn't it? Where do I even check my status?

Last edited:
Huh. My status is just still "secondary received, may take 6-8 weeks to be processed."
I just submitted this past Sunday though, so I'm sure it just literally takes time to be processed (it has only been five business days for me....) but kudos to all of you on getting small-pooled so fast!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR doesn't show when they start handing out interview invites. Anyone have any idea?

Hey guys, so have we come to a conclusion as to whether all people are placed in the small pool or not? I was just placed in it this morning so I'd like to know whether this is exciting or just ehhh

I think SDN is a bad gauge of this. It seems like a lot of people on here are getting small pooled, but overall it's probably not EVERYONE. My guess is maybe like 60-70%? I really don't know, I'm just throwing out a guess.

Hey guys, so have we come to a conclusion as to whether all people are placed in the small pool or not? I was just placed in it this morning so I'd like to know whether this is exciting or just ehhh
When were you complete? I submitted 7/20 and have not been placed in the small pool yet (hopefully a yet).

When were you complete? I submitted 7/20 and have not been placed in the small pool yet (hopefully a yet).
I was complete 7/20 as well but this just happened today because I checked yesterday and I still had a red mark, so yours will probably come later today!

I think SDN is a bad gauge of this. It seems like a lot of people on here are getting small pooled, but overall it's probably not EVERYONE. My guess is maybe like 60-70%? I really don't know, I'm just throwing out a guess.

Okay, got it thank you!
In last years thread, someone went into the previous year's thread to calculate the fraction of those small-pooled and interviewed and it was 246 users posted, 152 users small pooled and 106 of those users interviewed.

@medicine4958

Wow that's great news!! Thank you so much for this info, I'm definitely excited now!

According to the MSAR all but 6 in state applicants were interviewed so that may throw off the numbers for OOS

Just out of curiosity, does the small pool status display on the home page? I just don't see a status check anywhere......it's more likely that I just haven't been small pooled, just wanted to be sure I wasn't totally blind or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea on the home page of secondary login it says "you are within a pool of applicant to which an interview may be offered" or whatever the exact wording is. There's no actual "check status" tab on their portal.

Just out of curiosity, does the small pool status display on the home page? I just don't see a status check anywhere......it's more likely that I just haven't been small pooled, just wanted to be sure I wasn't totally blind or something.
I logged onto my portal today to find the following message:

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. "

It had previously said something about needing 6-8 weeks for processing to occur. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. "

Sweet :)

A great way to screen out their most neurotic applicants would be to check how many times I-- er, I mean, people-- how many times people have logged in to check their status.

Two questions:

1. For the residency questions if we have been a resident of the same state for our entire life, do you think it is ok that I just wrote the state name?

2. Have people been getting "small-pooled" even before their letters have been received by the school?

Two questions:

1. For the residency questions if we have been a resident of the same state for our entire life, do you think it is ok that I just wrote the state name?

2. Have people been getting "small-pooled" even before their letters have been received by the school?
I was small pooled before all my letters were in

pooled! OOS. :whistle:
secondary submitted 7/22

No, in last years thread people were small pooled as late as December.

No, in last years thread people were small pooled as late as December.

Last year, I was small pooled in FEBRUARY. After they had already finished sending II... My fault for submitting late, though.

Last edited:
Complete 7/22, no small pool. Just when I was starting to get excited about UVm

Small pool! OOS Complete 7/21, got the small pool sometime between then and now.

Last edited:
Stats? submitted secondary 7/21 and no change in the portal message

LizzyM ~65. nontrad, 3.9 postgrad, much lower undergrad.
good amount of underserved/rural/international volunteer work and research.

From what I can tell, UVM seems less obsessed with stats and more concerned with if you are a genuine person who has good experience, knows what it's gonna be like as a physician, and is super compassionate. I really don't see them as one of these schools that tries to keep their average numbers up and whatnot.

Submitted 7/22, small pooled this AM. This is not helping my attempts to limit my excitement for this school.

Complete 7/21, small pooled this morning.

Whewww, I was getting nervous!

EDIT: I want to say I am "small" pooled but can't help but to think that this is quite a big pool.

EDIT: I want to say I am "small" pooled but can't help but to think that this is quite a big pool.
Once again,
In last years thread... 246 users posted, 152 users small pooled and 106 of those users interviewed.

So, within SDN, it's around 2/3 of applicants. As always, though, SDN is absolutely not representative of the general population. I'm (completely arbitrarily) guessing it's about 50% of total applicants.

Once again,

So, within SDN, it's around 2/3 of applicants. As always, though, SDN is absolutely not representative of the general population. I'm (completely arbitrarily) guessing it's about 50% of total applicants.
Yeah, I mean it is nice to be part of that. I guess it is a nice stepping stone between submitting and getting a possible II.

Small pooled today. I forgot when I submitted because it was late, but I'm thinking on 7/24 or 7/25?

OOS, ORM lizzy M score of 66-67. Btw is being small pooled a big deal?

Small pooled today. I forgot when I submitted because it was late, but I'm thinking on 7/24 or 7/25?

OOS, ORM lizzy M score of 66-67. Btw is being small pooled a big deal?

Seems pretty common from the responses here, but I'm trying to stay positive. I'm think thinking of it as a good first step.

Seems pretty common from the responses here, but I'm trying to stay positive. I'm think thinking of it as a good first step.
SDN is very select pool / users are more inclined to post positive news and not post bad news .... that being said, who knows ..