2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i qualify it as 90th percentile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why UTMB has more of a high GPA/lowerish Mcat thing? I know that's not true for all cases, but the lady I spoke to said their average GPA was around 3.8-3.9 and their average MCAT was 29-30. Their average gpa is something I would expect for Baylor/UTSW (not the UTMB isn't fantastic haha).

Most likely because they expect to lose out the higher GPA and higher MCAT students to Southwestern/Baylor/UTSA/UTH being ranked schools. So they are opting for good students who are not also good test takers.

Most likely because they expect to lose out the higher GPA and higher MCAT students to Southwestern/Baylor/UTSA/UTH being ranked schools. So they are opting for good students who are not also good test takers.

UTSA tends to take lower GPA though- I believe their average is around a 3.7, with MCAT 32- I believe the rest have higher MCAT scores. UTMB really has the highest gpa average out of all of the schools in Texas.
Idk, I hope there's a place for average GPA/High MCAT :(

Reactions: 1 user
I think someone said UTSA gave a II for a 66. Interestingly that is their average. OTOH, 68.8 is average for UTMB but they are expecting 3.8/31 and so they are getting a higher number by aiming for a higher GPA. UTSA and Texas Tech are 3.6 ish for GPA but I don't see anyone going lower for GPA other than TCOM.

I think someone said UTSA gave a II for a 66. Interestingly that is their average. OTOH, 68.8 is average for UTMB but they are expecting 3.8/31 and so they are getting a higher number by aiming for a higher GPA. UTSA and Texas Tech are 3.6 ish for GPA but I don't see anyone going lower for GPA other than TCOM.

I know some people with sub 3.5 GPAs that got into UTMB with average MCATS. I asked if they had any outstanding factors on their applications, but they just said it was random haha. I am above a 3.6, so I"m hoping lady luck will be on my side :) I just got my first II today, so i'm hoping more will come!

Congratulations. It only takes one admission to become a doctor. With a 68 you will get several more interviews though.

I know some people with sub 3.5 GPAs that got into UTMB with average MCATS. I asked if they had any outstanding factors on their applications, but they just said it was random haha. I am above a 3.6, so I"m hoping lady luck will be on my side :) I just got my first II today, so i'm hoping more will come!
Congrats!!!

Congratulations. It only takes one admission to become a doctor. With a 68 you will get several more interviews though.

Thank you!! I don't mind which med school I go to, as long as I can become a doctor at the end. I hope I get more interviews though to feel more secure. I'm sure you will have a successful cycle as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually laughed aloud reading this! Funny enough my dad was the one screaming!!

Haha that's too funny!! I killed all the spiders during college, so not sure what my brother was thinking hahah
BTW: Congrats on all the interviews. With stats like yours, I'm pretty sure every school will be accepting you :)

Haha that's too funny!! I killed all the spiders during college, so not sure what my brother was thinking hahah
BTW: Congrats on all the interviews. With stats like yours, I'm pretty sure every school will be accepting you :)
Thanks, and I pray so...

Random question. Does one bring a resume to an interview? Idk since they have our file

Random question. Does one bring a resume to an interview? Idk since they have our file

Lol no

Either the interview is closed file for a reason (adcoms already made the decision to invite you based on your resume on TMDSAS), and they want to interview you as a person and they don't care about your resume during the interview.

Or it's open file and they already have your stuff in front of them and prepare interview questions based on that.

Interview was today and was so awesome! I was nervous but it was very conversational. I had one MD and one Ph.D. The Ph.D. Spent the whole time talking about his research so that was actually really fun!

Reactions: 1 users
Would any UTMB students mind elaborating on why they chose UTMB and what makes it so awesome? I'm very interested in this school!

So far, I see:

-pass/fail first 2 years
-"chill" atmosphere
-can hang out at the beach

What about their clinical opportunities/rotations? Do students get to do stuff during those or is it mostly standing around and shadowing? Any focus on research?

II just now for the end of September! IS, LizzyM 74-75, transmitted 7/25, application received email 8/16.

II just now! LizzyM ~77, transmitted 7/18, under review 8/4! OOS though, so chances of acceptance are slim to none lol. Interview is 9/30, can't wait! @Skittsie13 , you posted as I am typing this. Guessing your interview is 9/30?

II just now! LizzyM ~77, transmitted 7/18, under review 8/4! OOS though, so chances of acceptance are slim to none lol. Interview is 9/30, can't wait! @Skittsie13 , you posted as I am typing this. Guessing your interview is 9/30?

Yup, see you there!

Also, anyone know if the social the night before is mandatory/highly encouraged? I was hoping to not miss two days of work, which I would have to do to get to Galveston at 6:30 the night before...

Yup, see you there!

Also, anyone know if the social the night before is mandatory/highly encouraged? I was hoping to not miss two days of work, which I would have to do to get to Galveston at 6:30 the night before...
asked my friend who will be MS1 this year. He said he didn't go and that it will have no affect on you as an applicant.

I really want a II here, unfortunately I believe my GPA is at the 10 % according to MSAR (A little above a 3.6). It's frustrating because my school did extreme grade deflation. A 3.4 was magna cum laude. So even though I did really well compared to my school averages, I have very little shot with my GPA. I talked to my advisor regarding my worries, and she said that the MCAT was considered the equalizer among all applicants, and I did really well, but it seems like UTMB doesn't look at it as much :(

I really want a II here, unfortunately I believe my GPA is at the 10 % according to MSAR (A little above a 3.6). It's frustrating because my school did extreme grade deflation. A 3.4 was magna cum laude. So even though I did really well compared to my school averages, I have very little shot with my GPA. I talked to my advisor regarding my worries, and she said that the MCAT was considered the equalizer among all applicants, and I did really well, but it seems like UTMB doesn't look at it as much :(

According to that other thread, don't you have an II at Cornell...? If you can get an II there I'm sure UTMB is within reach

According to that other thread, don't you have an II at Cornell...? If you can get an II there I'm sure UTMB is within reach

Cornell uses the MCAT heavier than GPA though. UTMB really looks at GPA more haha.
Congrats on your II though!!!!

My gpa is similar and I already interviewed, so don't worry about just one part of your app if the rest is good.

Would any UTMB students mind elaborating on why they chose UTMB and what makes it so awesome? I'm very interested in this school!

So far, I see:

-pass/fail first 2 years
-"chill" atmosphere
-can hang out at the beach

What about their clinical opportunities/rotations? Do students get to do stuff during those or is it mostly standing around and shadowing? Any focus on research?

The three things you listed were factors in my decision to choose UTMB. In addition, I also liked:
-The combination of large group lectures and small group (~8 students) problem-based learning sessions
-Lectures are recorded and not mandatory; many days in preclinical years are half days (i.e., more autonomy in setting your study schedule)
-Block scheduling (preclinical classes are approx. 8 weeks each and are taken one at a time)--I prefer to throw all of my energy at one class instead of juggling multiple classes
-Higher than average Step 1 scores (I want to say most recent class average was about 235); 98% first-time pass rate
-Brand new Jennie Sealy Hospital (just completed Spring 2016) will be a fun new playground
-St. Vincent's student-run clinic provides care to the indigent population in Galveston, and affords students the opportunity to start seeing patients from MS1
-You can just feel the history when you're on this campus (a minor factor in my decision-making process, but when I interviewed at UTMB, I really got the sense that I had the opportunity to be part of something much bigger than myself)
-Of the five schools I interviewed at, this one felt the most welcoming. Everyone from the interviewers to the staff to the students were so friendly and helpful. UTMB even served (in my opinion) the best interview-day food of any of the places I went to. Obviously the food that they give you is not a reason to stake your entire future on a particular school, but the hospitality at UTMB combined with the other reasons I listed above convinced me that this would be a university where I could not only set myself up for academic success, but where I could be happy for four years of my life.

I do have to offer as a disclaimer the fact that I am an incoming MS1, currently in the throes of orientation week, and therefore I can't really give any authoritative commentary on the pervasiveness of hands-on experience during clerkship rotations. I can only illuminate the facets of this school that entered into my decision-making process when I elected to attend here.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Are you sure? Last year was just over 4000, so I'm surprised that it would jump over 3,000 applicants. That doesn't really make much sense.

Also: not pointing fingers, but when I was looking at these threads last year, people would make posts that would just make people more neurotic. I understand that more people apply each year, but considering that UTHouston said that they had maybe 2 or 300 more apps this year, and I would assume both schools would have around the same number of applicants, this just seems like something to stir the pot. Of course I could be wrong, so I'll probably call and see, because then I won't hold my breath for an interview in August if there are that many.

Unless the asst. dean lied to me (not sure why he would do that?) I am just quoting him. I have no intentions to "stir the pot", just sharing information that I was told. Do with it what you want, or disregard it completely if that is your prerogative.

The three things you listed were factors in my decision to choose UTMB. In addition, I also liked:
-The combination of large group lectures and small group (~8 students) problem-based learning sessions
-Lectures are recorded and not mandatory; many days in preclinical years are half days (i.e., more autonomy in setting your study schedule)
-Block scheduling (preclinical classes are approx. 8 weeks each and are taken one at a time)--I prefer to throw all of my energy at one class instead of juggling multiple classes
-Higher than average Step 1 scores (I want to say most recent class average was about 235); 98% first-time pass rate
-Brand new Jennie Sealy Hospital (just completed Spring 2016) will be a fun new playground
-St. Vincent's student-run clinic provides care to the indigent population in Galveston, and affords students the opportunity to start seeing patients from MS1
-You can just feel the history when you're on this campus (a minor factor in my decision-making process, but when I interviewed at UTMB, I really got the sense that I had the opportunity to be part of something much bigger than myself)
-Of the five schools I interviewed at, this one felt the most welcoming. Everyone from the interviewers to the staff to the students were so friendly and helpful. UTMB even served (in my opinion) the best interview-day food of any of the places I went to. Obviously the food that they give you is not a reason to stake your entire future on a particular school, but the hospitality at UTMB combined with the other reasons I listed above convinced me that this would be a university where I could not only set myself up for academic success, but where I could be happy for four years of my life.

I do have to offer as a disclaimer the fact that I am an incoming MS1, currently in the throes of orientation week, and therefore I can't really give any authoritative commentary on the pervasiveness of hands-on experience during clerkship rotations. I can only illuminate the facets of this school that entered into my decision-making process when I elected to attend here.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

The average step 1 score for the most recent class was ~ 238 (up from 235 the previous year)!! even more reason to come to UTMB. The change to national NBME exam testing for our courses seems to be working:)

The average step 1 score for the most recent class was ~ 238 (up from 235 the previous year)!! even more reason to come to UTMB. The change to national NBME exam testing for our courses seems to be working:)
so if i havent gotten an II and have been under review since 7/25 that doesnt mean they dont like me or i am on hold?

so if i havent gotten an II and have been under review since 7/25 that doesnt mean they dont like me or i am on hold?

If I remember correctly I was under review for utmb for 2ish months before getting an II, and at a few other schools for longer than that. It's still super early in the season, they have tons of applications to review, so don't take it personally at all. There's no rhyme or reason for how each school does their II. I was receiving II as late as mid December when I applied, so just be patient! (I know easier said than done)

I remember being freaked out about the 7000 apps as well. No idea if the initial poster called UTMB, but I called, and there are NOT 7000 applications. The person I spoke to actually laughed at that, and I felt super dumb.
I have yet to receive a II from here :/ And they only review on Mondays.

I remember being freaked out about the 7000 apps as well. No idea if the initial poster called UTMB, but I called, and there are NOT 7000 applications. The person I spoke to actually laughed at that, and I felt super dumb.
I have yet to receive a II from here :/ And they only review on Mondays.
so are mondays when II go out then?

no i know people who got emails about II on other days than Mondays!

no i know people who got emails about II on other days than Mondays!

The person I spoke with said the committee comes together to review on Mondays and send out IIs. I know I didn't tell people the same day I got a II, so I assume some people would tell others days after they got the IIs. Obviously I'm going by what I heard haha

Was this increase in step 1 score for the class that used the new curriculum?

Nice, way to go UTMB! :)

If I remember correctly I was under review for utmb for 2ish months before getting an II, and at a few other schools for longer than that. It's still super early in the season, they have tons of applications to review, so don't take it personally at all. There's no rhyme or reason for how each school does their II. I was receiving II as late as mid December when I applied, so just be patient! (I know easier said than done)

I was also under review for about two months before getting an II from UTMB. This process just takes time.

I spoke with admin and they said if you have been under review for more than 3 weeks you've already been either given an II put on hold for rereview or rejected unfortunately :(

II! Just got an email about it. Weird that it's on a Saturday. Plus they told me my interview date is 9/16 and that I can't reschedule. Guess I'm going to Texas in 2 weeks!

OOS applicant, LizzyM 77.

Last edited:
II!!!!!!!!! Never thought I would get an email on a Sat.

I spoke with admin and they said if you have been under review for more than 3 weeks you've already been either given an II put on hold for rereview or rejected unfortunately :(

Those are the only 3 options anyways. Most people are reviewed quite a bit before they get IIs.