2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You need to accept it. You could either accept all of it or a partial amount. There's also an entrance interview that needs to be completed. This through UTMB.
If it is accepted, does it begin to accrue interest? Or will I be able to pull money out as needed and keep it from accruing all at once?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is accepted, does it begin to accrue interest? Or will I be able to pull money out as needed and keep it from accruing all at once?
Yes. You can only make your best guess about how much you will need or spend per year. If you find that you didn't spend it all you can adjust the amount you accept next year. By the way you need to fill out the FAFSA every year you want federal aid.

To add to wysdoc above...the interest starts accruing December of your first year to be exact. You have to accept it all or partial at once because it only dispurses one time for both the fall and spring semesters. You could alwayd accept all of it then give back what you didn't use at the end of the year and accept smaller amounts the years following.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got in....was previously going to be at UTHSA. Now I have to actually think...

thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got in....was previously going to be at UTHSA. Now I have to actually think...

thoughts?

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance!

I am assuming that the fact that you were in the alternate pool for UTMB means that you had originally ranked it higher than UTHSCSA. So I guess the question is, what made you favor UTMB originally, and do those reasons still apply for you?

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance!

I am assuming that the fact that you were in the alternate pool for UTMB means that you had originally ranked it higher than UTHSCSA. So I guess the question is, what made you favor UTMB originally, and do those reasons still apply for you?

I thought tmdsas schools can not see your rank list. I think only TMDSAS (in Austin) can see the applicants' rank list and each schools' rank list which the Match algorithm handles and sorts out. But someone can correct me if I may be wrong.

I thought tmdsas schools can not see your rank list. I think only TMDSAS (in Austin) can see the applicants' rank list and each schools' rank list which the Match algorithm handles and sorts out. But someone can correct me if I may be wrong.
The Texas match sorts out everyone's ranks without the schools being able to see on an individual basis where you ranked them. Although you do get one school as of match day, some of the schools that liked your application can still offer you a place on their WL or alternate list after match day. Many students get WL offers from schools they had ranked lower on their match list.

The Texas match sorts out everyone's ranks without the schools being able to see on an individual basis where you ranked them. Although you do get one school as of match day, some of the schools that liked your application can still offer you a place on their WL or alternate list after match day. Many students get WL offers from schools they had ranked lower on their match list.

Very interesting. It had always been explained to me that after match day, your application would be automatically withdrawn from any schools ranked lower than your match school (as the assumption is that the school at which you matched is the one you would prefer to attend), but that you could still remain in the alternate pool for those ranked higher. Seems you really do learn something new every day!

In any case @TexasSurgeon ... I suppose the actual question should then be, which school did you rank higher in the match, what were your reasons for doing so, and do those reasons still apply?

Very interesting. It had always been explained to me that after match day, your application would be automatically withdrawn from any schools ranked lower than your match school (as the assumption is that the school at which you matched is the one you would prefer to attend), but that you could still remain in the alternate pool for those ranked higher. Seems you really do learn something new every day!

In any case @TexasSurgeon ... I suppose the actual question should then be, which school did you rank higher in the match, what were your reasons for doing so, and do those reasons still apply?
I thought this too, @NidDAlouette from reading the TMDSAS site. But my son matched last year to his #2 choice, and was sooner or later offered WL spots on his #1, #3, and unranked (AMCAS) schools. It is up the the school which can offer you WL position if they really liked you.

Last edited:
I got accepted this past Thursday. Has anyone that was accepted last week received the email from enrollment services with the instructions on how to accept the position?

I got accepted this past Thursday. Has anyone that was accepted last week received the email from enrollment services with the instructions on how to accept the position?
Reply to the email or call Monday to accept and ask them for any links & forms you may need. And don't forget to notify your prior match of the news that you will be accepting a different offer :oops:

Got my acceptance today! Keep hope!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I had ranked UTMB higher, but for reasons that I don't think would have been the best. It was more due to the national lab over there, and also the aerospace medicine track (hadn't given much thought into it though). But I matched to UTHSA (ranked #2), which was the school that I naturally felt a connection with and that's where I matched. I guess the universe sends signs in weird ways and we should follow them haha

So I'm assuming nobody from out of state have been accepted yet?

Hi guys! What dates does PREP start and end? I haven't received the information yet.
It started back on May 22nd.

You won't be receiving an invite since there's no way to start midway through the program.

Enjoy the rest of your summer! :)

I had ranked UTMB higher, but for reasons that I don't think would have been the best. It was more due to the national lab over there, and also the aerospace medicine track (hadn't given much thought into it though). But I matched to UTHSA (ranked #2), which was the school that I naturally felt a connection with and that's where I matched. I guess the universe sends signs in weird ways and we should follow them haha

Sometimes things work out exactly how they're meant to. In all honesty, there was a school that I had ranked higher than UTMB, but I know deep down that it wasn't for the right reasons. In hindsight, I am grateful that I wasn't accepted there, because I believe that I'm happier where I am than I would be had I attended the other school. There is really something about finding the place that fits you.

As much as I love my school (and I won't stop singing from the rooftops about how I think it's the best), if your gut is telling you that San Antonio is the place where you will be happiest and most successful, then how lucky are you that the admissions committee at UTSAHSC also saw what a great fit you would be for their program?

Best of luck!

Sometimes things work out exactly how they're meant to. In all honesty, there was a school that I had ranked higher than UTMB, but I know deep down that it wasn't for the right reasons. In hindsight, I am grateful that I wasn't accepted there, because I believe that I'm happier where I am than I would be had I attended the other school. There is really something about finding the place that fits you.

As much as I love my school (and I won't stop singing from the rooftops about how I think it's the best), if your gut is telling you that San Antonio is the place where you will be happiest and most successful, then how lucky are you that the admissions committee at UTSAHSC also saw what a great fit you would be for their program?

Best of luck!
This is a great way to see things. Thanks so much, NidDAlouette. A few days in and looking back, I'm glad I made the decision I did on this issue. :)

I'm hoping my UTMB offer goes to someone worthy and can fit their school well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have the 2017 residency match list? I wasn't able to find it

Reactions: 1 users
Is it safe to assume that they're pretty much done with admitting people from the waitlist :( ?

Is it safe to assume that they're pretty much done with admitting people from the waitlist :( ?

It's really hard to say. My class still saw waitlist movement into the beginning of August, but by that point, you're talking one, maybe two spots. Basically, it is definitely not impossible, but I also don't want to overstate the chances that there will be significant movement. :shrug: