2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas Medical Branch

Members don't see this ad.

The year I am applying the HAVE to implement a secondary application omg. So much writing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They have a secondary this year? Could you show me where you saw that? Thanks :)
Hey! It was in the TMDSAS handbook for 2020-2021 AND also on UTMB's admissions requirement page :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see the secondary requirement on their admissions requirement page. They said "UTMB does not require a secondary application."

I don't see the secondary requirement on their admissions requirement page. They said "UTMB does not require a secondary application."
You might have searched by Google and seen an old cached page. Go to a school's website directly and you'll get the current information.

This year's page is here: Admission Requirements
UTMB has not required secondary essays in the past, but starting this year they will do so by invitation- after they have read your primary application.
They also want to see your CASPer test before selecting applicants for interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
You might have searched by Google and seen an old cached page. Go to a school's website directly and you'll get the current information.

This year's page is here: Admission Requirements
UTMB has not required secondary essays in the past, but starting this year they will do so by invitation- after they have read your primary application.
They also want to see your CASPer test before selecting applicants for interviews.
Thank you! I missed that.

Has anyone been invited to a secondary yet after screening?

I received an email inviting me to complete their "Supplemental Application Form," but I do not actually see a link in the e-mail. Anyone else experience this?

I received an email inviting me to complete their "Supplemental Application Form," but I do not actually see a link in the e-mail. Anyone else experience this?
Just received it! Anyway here are the prompts (all 300 words max):

Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you?

Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?

Describe your experience(s) working in teams and articulate the impact of this experience on you. In particular, how did you manage any disagreements or conflicts that arose in the process?

Good luck everyone!

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 6 users
Just received it! Anyway here are the prompts (all 300 words max):

Describe, as best you can, your vision for your future in terms of where you want to live and how you want to practice medicine. Is there any particular area or specialty that appeals to you?

Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?

Describe your experience(s) working in teams and articulate the impact of this experience on you. In particular, how did you manage any disagreements or conflicts that arose in the process?

Good luck everyone!

@TheDataKing
May I ask your stats? Im waiting on the secondary and was transmitted day one.

May I ask your stats? Im waiting on the secondary and was transmitted day one.
My application was transmitted yesterday and I received the secondary today. It was in my junk mail, maybe try checking there?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first prompt, do you think it's okay to just talk about wanting to go into academic medicine (i.e teaching and research)? I'm pretty much just planning on writing about my experiences and takeaways in both areas and why I think academic medicine is important. Due to word limit, I wasn't really planning on going further in depth on where I want to practice or any particular specialty.

Received Secondary. Transmitted 6/11

"Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?"

Is this prompt supposed to be optional? I can stretch a story to fit this prompt, but I'm not sure if it will come across well.

"Describe, if relevant, circumstances in your life that represent a hardship (e.g. financial difficulties, illness, educational disadvantage). How have these circumstances impacted you, and how do you believe they will impact your practice of medicine?"

Is this prompt supposed to be optional? I can stretch a story to fit this prompt, but I'm not sure if it will come across well.
It is truly optional, that's why they worded it, "if relevant".

Yeah, I know, I know, your high school guidance counselor told you "optional essays should always be written".

Reactions: 1 users
It is truly optional, that's why they worded it, "if relevant".

Yeah, I know, I know, your high school guidance counselor told you "optional essays should always be written".

Thank you! I always felt that a forced essay is worse than leaving an optional prompt blank. I can imagine the admission committee cringing when they read a suburban ORM male try to spin some minor life event to fill out a hardship prompt.

Thank you! I always felt that a forced essay is worse than leaving an optional prompt blank. I can imagine the admission committee cringing when they read a suburban ORM male try to spin some minor life event to fill out a hardship prompt.
I agree, you made the right call here.

quick question: for the hardship essay, i already wrote about this in my primary (my father's illness). would it be best to reword the story or leave the prompt blank?
i honestly do not have any another hardship..

quick question: for the hardship essay, i already wrote about this in my primary (my father's illness). would it be best to reword the story or leave the prompt blank?
i honestly do not have any another hardship..
Best to leave it blank imo. They will read it on your primary, so don't worry!

Is anyone uploading anything in the document upload part of the secondary?

I haven’t received a secondary yet. Transmitted on June 1st. What do y’all think that means? Did I not meet the initial screening requirements? GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 516.

I haven’t received a secondary yet. Transmitted on June 1st. What do y’all think that means? Did I not meet the initial screening requirements? GPA: 3.6
Im right there with you. I hear they incorporate your CASper score into the screening, do you think you did poorly?

I doubt you were screened based off your stats. Give it time. It’s only been a little over 2 weeks since the first date of transmission

I doubt you were screened based off your stats. Give it time. It’s only been a little over 2 weeks since the first date of transmission
I know my GPA is a little on the lower side. I’m just getting worried because I see all these people getting secondaries that transmitted after he me.

My primary transmitted June 1st as well, and I found the secondary invite in the "promotions" section in my Gmail on June 12 (aka, not my primary inbox but not spam either). So check every nook and cranny of your email, you might already have it!

My primary transmitted June 1st as well, and I found the secondary invite in the "promotions" section in my Gmail on June 12 (aka, not my primary inbox but not spam either). So check every nook and cranny of your email, you might already have it!
Yes, definitely check your spam or other folders at this time of year, until your email filter gets used to all these new addresses as "trusted" addresses.
If you are using your college email address as your email for TMDSAS or AMCAS, things seem to get sent to spam even more often, or quarantined if they have attachments.

I checked all my inboxes. No secondary from UTMB, but I did find UTSW in my spam folder last week.

that's odd.. i was transmitted on 6/12 and received their secondary 6/13 at like 8 AM. maybe they just got backed up?
nonetheless, i wouldn't sweat it. your stats are fire, i'm sure you'll get one soon!

Just saying. Your stats are higher than mine. I received the secondary on Jun. 11th. Also transmitted Jun 1st. You'll get it. Don't worry. :)

Okay. I emailed admissions. UTMB sends out secondary applications to all who apply.

Okay. I emailed admissions. UTMB sends out secondary applications to all who apply.
Thank you for sharing the answer.
And all the rest of y'all, please chill! This application cycle is about a year long and there are lags and lulls at many times along the way.

Hello @wysdoc is it possible to message you a question about the second secondary question without everyone in the thread being able to see? Thank you in advance!
sure, the way to send a PM is click on my name and then click "Start a Conversation"

So for the hardship essay, do you think it has to be something outside of your control like the examples given? Or would some type of failure essay fit this prompt?

My stats are somewhat similar (slightly higher GPA, slight lower MCAT) and I have still not received one either.

My stats are somewhat similar (slightly higher GPA, slight lower MCAT) and I have still not received one either.

It might just be a glitch or something. I recommend just waiting it out till next week and if you don't receive it, email them and see. Everyone gets a secondary.