2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oops, I meant that I submitted on 6/2 and transmitted on 6/14

Members don't see this ad.

Got an under review email as well. Transmitted 5/21

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got this medicine from UTMB:

Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee. To check on the status of your application please continue to check the TMDSAS website for completeness.

I thought they said they were going straight to interviews?
I bet they got tired of answering calls from applicants. Therefore, the confirm email. Does it mean they are going to send out the IIs soon if the first interview is scheduled for Aug. 5? Maybe we should hear from them within a week or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! 1 date offered, August 5th and no rescheduling allowed. Going to be a bit tiring since I have another school the day before but super excited to visit the campus!!! Complete 6/10 Lizzy-74.5

Reactions: 1 user
II! 1 date offered, August 5th and no rescheduling allowed. Going to be a bit tiring since I have another school the day before but super excited to visit the campus!!! Complete 6/10 Lizzy-74.5
Congrats!! Just saw you on Dell and TCOM thread lol must be an awesome week for you!

Congrats to everyone getting IIs!

Still no "under review" email here :(

@docinthefam Haha, I feel like a lot of us are on multiple TMDSAS threads! I love how everyone is just keeping each other updated and being supportive of each other! Thanks for the congrats, I hope you start hearing from UTMB soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone with an II! Looking forward to meeting y'all soon!

Are they not offering OOS interviews yet? It seems like everyone who has received one is in state. Maybe it's because the first interviews are so soon. I get the feeling several of the TX schools are running behind schedule.

Are they not offering OOS interviews yet? It seems like everyone who has received one is in state. Maybe it's because the first interviews are so soon. I get the feeling several of the TX schools are running behind schedule.
Yessir! And I received an email responding to my confirmation.

Yeah, I'm OOS, so that MIGHT be it. Anyway, congrats guys! I hope I am in the next few rounds :)

Incoming UTMB MSI here to offer some friendly advice I wish I had known before last year's application cycle. First off congrats to those with interviews so far! To those with no invites yet, stop worrying, it is WAY early in interview season, no reason to give yourself a heart attack this early :p
1) There seriously is no rhyme or reason to why you have or haven't gotten an interview/application under review etc. Each school varies on this process, so just give it some time. Last cycle I received an invite early September from UTSA for an interview that wasn't until January, invite from TT Lubbock at the end of december for an interview that was one week later..etc. it doesn't make sense, but it doesn't mean you won't get an invite, just be patient.
2) specifically to this thread, UTMB likes to run on "Island Time". Trust me on this. We are almost three weeks out from starting school and haven't even received orientation packets or anything. UTMB is VERY laid back, which for the typical pre-med (like me) was so nerve wracking. So don't get too worried when things aren't happening on the timeline you think or want them to.
3)Something I really wished I would've known before the interview season started but wasn't told until my final interview at UTSA: If you got an interview, stop worrying about your GPA/MCAT/LizzyM score etc. If you've made it to the interview, this is the school telling you, yes we think you are a great academic candidate who can definitely handle medical school. (Words from the mouth of the UTSA Dean). Once you've made it to the interview, they are not going to reject you or accept you for scores or grades. These just get you to the interview. Getting accepted or rejected is highly influenced by the interview itself, and how much your interviewers advocate for you in the committee meetings. Your extra-curriculars and letters can make a big impact as well. So if you've submitted your application and are not about to retake the MCAT, just put your scores behind you and focus on interview prep and keeping your grades up this coming semester.
4)Lastly, acceptances, even though you are farrr away from that point right now, just thought I'd throw this out there for when acceptances start rolling out. Just like interview invites, the acceptance part of this process varies from school to school and sometimes doesn't make sense. I interviewed at UTMB at the start of pre-match, and didn't receive my pre-match acceptance until the very end of december. On the other hand, I received my pre-match acceptance from TT El Paso the day after my interview. It all depends on the school's review process. UTMB, and many of the other Texas schools, have set days to sit down as a committee and review applicants who interviewed during a specific time block. TT El Paso on the other hand, reviews all interviewees the same day they were interviewed, hence my next day pre-match. Also, for in state applicants, don't get so stressed over pre-match. Just because you didn't pre-match at a specific school does NOT mean you will be rejected. I know a lot of current and incoming students at galveston who did not prematch to UTMB, but got in on the match process or off the wait list (seriously wait list is not bad so many people are accepted this way).

So all and all, just wanted to hopefully lower your stress level at least a little bit on this process. It's long and tedious, but so worth it in the end. Good luck to you all!

I'm good friends with one of the assistant deans at UTMB. Through talking with him I have gained a bit of insight into the process which may offer you some reassurance. So, there is a certain percentage of applicants which are, at least on paper, perfect. All of the schools court these applicants first as they all know that they will be offered admissions elsewhere. So, the vast majority of the IIs you see floating around these message boards thus far likely belong to applicants from this group or perhaps less perfect URM, as they are also fiercely competed over. These folks are going to interview everywhere and take a lot of interview slots. But don't fret sir, because the fact is that these folks can only attend one school. Soon, admissions folks will begin moving on to the majority of the applicant pool which didn't get classed into this first group. Your stats are excellent. You will get your shot.

@neuroimagining Every interviewer has their own style and not every interview will be the same. My first interview at UTMB was more scenario based with ethical questions, and my second consisted of typical topics such as my motivations to pursue medicine, greatest strengths and weaknesses ect...But at the same time, there were others during my interview day who had more conversational type interviews. You never really know what kind of interview you'll have until you get there.

Check this link out: http://www.taahp.net/TAAHP 2015 Report.pdf (Page 13)
Looks like UTMB sent out ~460 acceptances last year

Had my interviews here yesterday, and had a great time! Both of mine were very conversational, and I didn't once feel like I was being grilled. It was an impressive campus with a lot of history - I only wish I had a bottle of water with me for the tours, because it was a very, very warm day in Galveston, haha.

We were assured during the interview day at UTMB that they would be relaxed and conversational, and to notify admissions if they were anything else. From talking with other applicants and looking at this thread, most of them were. However, some of us had rather.. unpleasant experiences with the interviewers that are described in more detail here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-needs-to-leave.1133858/page-4#post-17073818

I interviewed here last Saturday. From what I gathered, if you interview with *anyone* on the admissions committee, it will be a more stressful interview. They hold interviews in the AM and in the PM (you will do one or the other, not both), with the tour filling in the space where you are not interviewing.

I had one Ph.D and one MD (a surgeon) and my interviewers were both very friendly and easy to talk to - especially the surgeon, who was very comfortable to say the least. I was asked some standard questions ("Why medicine?") as well as some very general questions about myself and my background, and I asked quite a few questions myself. They were volunteer interviewers. From those I heard from that talked to people on the actual committee, it was stressful and more thorough.

Its a double edged sword, because obviously making an impression on those that actually make the decisions is preferable but at the same time they are not easy to impress!

Interviewers will *not* have access to your GPA and MCAT scores, so your record is not on display. They are doing character assessments, and asking more general questions about medicine that are not necessarily connected to your intellectual competence.

Best of Luck - Ask if you have another question.

+1. I had one very laid back interviewer that repeatedly told me he had no say in the decision-making process. We had great conversation! My other interview on the other hand was definitely a stress interview that lasted almost an hour. I won't go into details on here, but be prepared for it and don't freak out like I did. If you know that's what's happening then you won't be as shocked as I was lol!

@texan2414 Fist of all, congrats! I interviewed at UTMB and pre-matched. I had one MD, one PhD. One of my interviews was very typical...he asked all the questions you will see on the lists about what questions are typically asked. The other was conducted on the floor of the ICU with several of his 4th year students sitting in. It was very unique and I have to admit, very enjoyable. I got to hear straight from the students what to expect and I felt the interviewer was very welcoming. One of my interviewers directly asked my mcat score and the breakdown. I would agree, don't bring up the mcat unless asked. They have asked you to interview because they feel you are a match on paper, but now you have to let them know more about who you truly are. Don't be afraid to tell them how bad you want this opportunity. Always be prepared with questions to ask the interviewer. Good luck!

Combed through half of the thread from last year and found a few pieces of wisdom. Hope y'all enjoy!

Reactions: 5 users
Interview Invite! PLFSOM on 08/04 and UTMB on 08/05, gonna be exhausted

Anyone else staying in Galveston on 08/05 after interviews are over and want to go out that night?

Nice! Hoping to gather a few people to party in galveston or houston that night

Has anyone who submitted their primary the first week of June (probably transmitted by the week after like mine?) received an under review email yet? I know it's possible they haven't processed June apps yet, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed the email somehow :)

Has anyone who submitted their primary the first week of June (probably transmitted by the week after like mine?) received an under review email yet? I know it's possible they haven't processed June apps yet, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed the email somehow :)
june 14th transmitted. no under review yet

All these texas schools are really slackin' this year! There's only like a week and a half till August, and Galveston has given a few, San Antonio none, and Houston none (as far as we know).

I just got "under review" email this afternoon, primary app transmitted 6/14

I just got "under review" email this afternoon, primary app transmitted 6/14
At least we know they are going in order :) Few days after you guys so hopefully soon.

My app was transmitted 6/27 but my MCAT scores just were received this week. Do you think I will be in line from the June date or from this week's date?

II today too! Transmitted 6/1, under review 7/19, LizzyM 67, reapplicant, IS. Excited because I love UTMB!

II today too! Transmitted 6/1, under review 7/19, LizzyM 67, reapplicant, IS. Excited because I love UTMB!

Were you by any chance on the waitlist from last year? I'm a reapplicant too. I was waitlisted previously and haven't heard a single thing about a II for this year yet.

Were you by any chance on the waitlist from last year? I'm a reapplicant too. I was waitlisted previously and haven't heard a single thing about a II for this year yet.

No I wasn't. I'm sure if you were on the waitlist last year you'll hear something soon! Sending good vibes/thoughts/prayers your way. It is still so early in the cycle!

Date Submitted - 5/31
Date Transmitted - 6/8
Received "Thank you for submitting app, currently being reviewed" email - 7/20
Received II - 7/22

After speaking with a friend and going through the process myself, it seems that you get your interview invite very shortly after that initial email from them. So if you've gotten an email indicating that your application has been received and is currently under review, hang tight :)