2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is UTMB paying for housing in Houston guaranteed? And is it for a room or your own apartment?

What are your thoughts on PBL being say 6 hours a week in class and then more work outside of that potentially? Seems like a time sink.
This is all the info I gathered from campus preview day:

Yes, for your first question. I think there is a chance that you might share an apartment with someone else but this detail I'm not too sure on.
PBL is hit or miss for people. You may get an MD or a PhD leading them. I heard that since lectures aren't mandatory, 6 hrs of PBL isn't bad. One of the current MS1s told me most students don't even watch the lecture recordings and instead simply work on STEP resources like Board and Beyond and the corresponding Anki cards. Since exams are NBME it all works out. Also this MS1 told me he studies like 3-4 hours a day max lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone having to rank UTMB vs. Long? Or has chosen between the two in the past? I really like both of the schools but would like to hear y’all’s reasoning!

Great information. Any word on scholarships from the school? I got into other Texas schools and got a nice scholarship offer elsewhere and that's the big game changer for whether or not I go here.
there's a scholarship application that opens up after match day (aka only once you're committed to UTMB). So unfortunately, we won't really know any financials before match day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there's a scholarship application that opens up after match day (aka only once you're committed to UTMB). So unfortunately, we won't really know any financials before match day.
This is true for normal scholarships, but recruitment scholarships with the bigger money should be coming out soon.

This is true for normal scholarships, but recruitment scholarships with the bigger money should be coming out soon.
oh niceee. are these scholarships typically full CoA, full tuition, or part tuition?

Pre-matched yesterday! interviewed 9/10 so don't give up hope!

Thanks for the advice!

On average, for the first 2 years, how much time is PBL taking per week in hours? Ex - you have 3 PBL sessions on MWF - so is that 6 hours + more time to study at home? Is it a huge time sink versus traditional curriculums at other schools? Do they help at all for the exams or Part 1 or do most of you find it to be a waste of time? Do you think if you had to start from day 1 again and UTMB offered the same curriculum without PBL would you choose that instead or do you think the PBL lessons useful? I've heard conflicting things about PBL - but most of it has been, from what I've seen, neutral to negative i.e. it's good in theory but maybe not in practice. UTMB has stronger matching than at other schools I matched to in Texas so that's the big benefit and maybe worth the additional time sink that PBL could take imo.

> I ended up buying a home, but rent is cheaper off the island it seems from what my classmates have told me. I think around the $900-$1000 range, depending on where you choose.

That's neat that you bought a home. I've also considered buying a home for medical school - my calculations showed that renting under generally 4-5 years saves more money than buying. Of course when you buy you get a bigger home for the same monthly payments so there's that. Do you think if you had to do it again you'd buy or rent?

Bonus Question: Do you and/or most students find the lecture & powerpoints to be good prep for the in-house exams and USMLE Part 1? At many schools, the lectures are poorly done, often by professors that barely speak English that speak about their research interests and content that has frankly nothing to do with medicine, USMLE, etc. So many students end up self-studying from UFAP/sketchy pharm/micro/etc. in addition to lectures to prep for exams. Thus, for lectures, do most students just use third party review books/materials + Anki to do well? Also, for streamed lectures, are they transcribed or are there class notes that supplement the lectures or do you just watch them at 1.5x speed?
PBL is honestly the biggest mandatory time taken throughout the entire week, but I mean that in a good way. Outside of pbl at most you'd spend 1 extra hour and that is just working on student directed inquiries with your pbl team and/or preparing a patient presentation if it's your turn. Really have never thought of it as a time sink since it's the only mandatory thing I do, so to me it's basically just "class" if that makes sense. I really really enjoy UTMB's curriculum setup. I'm not forced to attend lectures and have a lot of time for self-directed studying. I prefer it 100% to traditional lecture learning. PBL also helps consolidate some of the material that you're working on learning the current week as well which is nice. Now, if I had to choose between the current curriculum with or without pbl I'm not really sure what I'd choose honestly. I'm pretty neutral to pbl but wouldn't say it is excessively helpful with learning. Just have the occasionally "ahh that makes sense" moments during it.

I would 100% buy again if given the choice, it's just more economically beneficial in the long run. That said, I'm 26 and had some time to save and am also married, so I wouldn't say I'm in the typical traditional position of most matriculating. I'd say do what makes you the most comfortable and can work with where you are in life. Renting is completely fine, I just wanted a garage for a home gym haha.

I am going to be 100% honest, aside from 1 lecture in a different course I have not attended any. I think this is a personal preference. But having not attended any lectures I have done fine on my exams with other prep. UTMB will provide you a Boards and Beyond subscription after you finish GAR and that is one of the biggest points of learning for most students. This is self-paced and at your own leisure. We were also provided access to pathoma by UTMB, which is similar to boards and beyond in covering material. People usually choose between one or the other, but you have access to both and if you don't understand the material as easy with one, you can use the other to cover the same topic. Most use either or as their main source of learning, but there are some people who go to the lectures. I just personally don't. That's why pbl for me is the only mandatory time taken from my schedule, which really is not much for me personally. No transcribing for the lectures that I know of, and you can watch at 2x speed or whatever speed you prefer.

This is all the info I gathered from campus preview day:

Yes, for your first question. I think there is a chance that you might share an apartment with someone else but this detail I'm not too sure on.
PBL is hit or miss for people. You may get an MD or a PhD leading them. I heard that since lectures aren't mandatory, 6 hrs of PBL isn't bad. One of the current MS1s told me most students don't even watch the lecture recordings and instead simply work on STEP resources like Board and Beyond and the corresponding Anki cards. Since exams are NBME it all works out. Also this MS1 told me he studies like 3-4 hours a day max lol
This is true. We all use boards and beyond, pathoma, and the anking or frankendeck anki deck for the corresponding videos. So far it has been very successful for the exams. UTMB is great in that you're always studying for STEP 1, and never really having to learn side material or things not pertinent to step since all exams are made by NBME.

Reactions: 2 users
If you care for AOA - I believe UTMB Galveston has internal ranking so it may not be pure pass/fail. Only 5% of the class can get AOA in year 3 (only 9 out of 180 students), and the remaining 15% get it at the end of year 4 which doesn't help with matching. I don't think it's worth worrying about AOA since only 5% (9/180 students) get it in year 3 before residency matching . Also, with a pass/fail USMLE Part 1, I think it will be based only on your grades first 2 years, community service, leadership, research, and professor nomination.

The real question is when you apply for residency from UTMB - does the school show an internal rank/grades to them? In that case, it might make sense to go to McGovern because you'd at least know how you're doing in year 1/2 instead of knowing if you're doing well or barely passing at UTMB.

Can't speak for UTMB but that's more or less the reason McG still has the tiered grading. Because preclinical grades as a whole are so inconsequential for residency (just don't fail and everything is more or less the same), only AOA and dean's letter really matters in terms of preclinicals. If a school isn't true P/F (aka no internal rankings for AOA), then there's really no point in touting it that way because grades technically do matter and worse, if you don't know what they are then you don't know where you stand. To my knowledge none of the Texas schools are true P/F (maybe dell? doubt it though) and McG's first semester (IMO the most important one for transition) is true P/F which gives you time to adjust.

So in short, when deciding between UTMB and McG, I don't believe pass/fail should be a major factor because the end result is still the same.

Can't speak for UTMB but that's more or less the reason McG still has the tiered grading. Because preclinical grades as a whole are so inconsequential for residency (just don't fail and everything is more or less the same), only AOA and dean's letter really matters in terms of preclinicals. If a school isn't true P/F (aka no internal rankings for AOA), then there's really no point in touting it that way because grades technically do matter and worse, if you don't know what they are then you don't know where you stand. To my knowledge none of the Texas schools are true P/F (maybe dell? doubt it though) and McG's first semester (IMO the most important one for transition) is true P/F which gives you time to adjust.

So in short, when deciding between UTMB and McG, I don't believe pass/fail should be a major factor because the end result is still the same.
Pretty sure UTSW, Baylor, (and maybe the techs?) are true PF with no internal ranking for pre-clerkship. But not sure how they calculate AOA now that I've said that (though it might just be clerkship)

Edit: I've heard deans letter essentially suggests your internal ranking at UTMB, but don't quote me on that.

Has any current med students or alumni had their scholarships matched? I attended the UTMB virtual town hall for scholarships and think they said they don’t match scholarships from other schools but I’m not too sure. Received a prematch scholarship offer elsewhere.

Pretty sure UTSW, Baylor, (and maybe the techs?) are true PF with no internal ranking for pre-clerkship. But not sure how they calculate AOA now that I've said that (though it might just be clerkship)

Edit: I've heard deans letter essentially suggests your internal ranking at UTMB, but don't quote me on that.
Texas Tech at Lubbock (and also El Paso) is true pass/fail now with no internal ranking.

I've heard from people at UTMB that the Dean's letter doesn't show your internal rank from first 2 years. But I'm not sure either. Does anyone know definitely if UTMB includes your class rank/GPA/whatever from years 1 & 2 in your Dean's Letter/Residency application in Year 4?

Last edited:
Forgot to ask you:
  • What's orientation and the module 1 "META" which runs for 6 weeks like? Is it mandatory attendance or is it just done from home? Are you learning anything in META or is just a gentle overview to the school and the curriculum actually starts on Module 2 with gross anatomy/radiology/"practice of medicine"?
  • Did you find med. school to be a shock and very stressful in the first semester? How long did it take you to get comfortable with the work load? I hear that gross anatomy is harder and a bigger time sink than other subjects but that the curriculum gets 'better' or more doable in the Spring semester.
  • With PBL being 3x a week, and you living off island, how many days do you have to commute to UTMB? Are you just going typically 3x a week for the PBL? Or do you have to drive there 5x a week for miscellaneous required activities and exams? Just wondering b/c of the 1 hour round trip commute you may have.
  • Do you plan to do your 3rd and 4th year in Houston or in Galveston considering your home is closer to Galveston? I think I would like to do the last 2 years in the Houston area, but not sure if there’s some lottery to do so and if it’s difficult to secure rotations entirely in Houston for year 3 and 4.
  • META is mandatory attendance with little assignments about student wellness, discrimination within medicine, etc. META doesn't cover any Step 1 material, it's more a soft introduction into being a medical student. It's a nice buffer before the hectic GAR life
  • So I've always had the mindset that medical school was going to be very demanding, hard, and stressful beyond belief. Due to that, I think I was slightly let down, in a good way haha. Don't get me wrong though, GAR is intense. I would say that so far it is the most time intensive class with minimal free time if you want to keep up with everything. Once I figured out my flow I did very well in GAR, but is has by far been the class where I have had the least amount of free time. So I would say that so far GAR has been the "worst" in terms of stress and having free time. The class is structured very well at UTMB though and the faculty are AMAZING. After GAR it does get better in terms of free time and content load though. I currently feel that I have way more free time than I have had in any other classes.
  • When things aren't virtual I usually only have to go 3x a week for pbl. Although my current class would call for 4x a week because of a one day lab component, but due to COVID this course has been entirely online so far. Every now and then there is some random thing here and there that I have to go to campus for, for POM usually.
  • I'm not sure on how the rotations are decided, but I'd probably prefer to do them in League city and Galveston

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to ask you:
  • What's orientation and the module 1 "META" which runs for 6 weeks like? Is it mandatory attendance or is it just done from home? Are you learning anything in META or is just a gentle overview to the school and the curriculum actually starts on Module 2 with gross anatomy/radiology/"practice of medicine"?
  • Did you find med. school to be a shock and very stressful in the first semester? How long did it take you to get comfortable with the work load? I hear that gross anatomy is harder and a bigger time sink than other subjects but that the curriculum gets 'better' or more doable in the Spring semester.
  • With PBL being 3x a week, and you living off island, how many days do you have to commute to UTMB? Are you just going typically 3x a week for the PBL? Or do you have to drive there 5x a week for miscellaneous required activities and exams? Just wondering b/c of the 1 hour round trip commute you may have.
  • Do you plan to do your 3rd and 4th year in Houston or in Galveston considering your home is closer to Galveston? I think I would like to do the last 2 years in the Houston area, but not sure if there’s some lottery to do so and if it’s difficult to secure rotations entirely in Houston for year 3 and 4.
  • I would say all in all pbl takes up about 7-8 hours at most, of my time weekly.
  • It is almost exclusively NBME exams. Every midterm and final will be a NBME exam. GAR had a lab midterm and final that was made by the school, but it wasn't really any extra work from what we studied for NBME. The course after GAR, called MCT had a lab midterm and final last year made by the school, but our class did not have it as they decided to omit it this year. Most classes primarily only have NBME exams. PBL always has weekly quizzes based on the case you're on and that is in-house.
  • I bought just before the housing market took a dip so things probably look differently now in that regard. I do not use student loans for my mortgage. I would avoid buying in Texas city.
  • After GAR your primary resources will be boards and beyond, pathoma, and the anking deck. That's really all you need outside of practice question resources. I'm not 100% sure how schools without pbl are set up, but I do feel like the structure of UTMB is conducive for efficiency and possibly having more free time. It is strongly based on how you individually manage your time and make the best of it. I would say on average I study 4-5 hours daily. But it changes with exams and the course. GAR is much more intense and takes up a lot more of your time than the following courses. After GAR I have felt a lot more comfortable and not very stressed out with my study schedule. That said, I think everyone's experiences are different. I know there are people who study non-stop, and then there are people who barely study at all. I have no idea how these people are scoring and I think different things work differently for every student. I know I'm a lot less stressed than some of my friends, and I know some people who seem a lot more chill about things than me. I really like the UTMB structure and am really happy I get to almost exclusively focus on STEP 1 material. Your free time will depend on you. Some people like to bank out a lot of things in one or two days to relax more other days, I prefer to do a little a day to never feel overwhelmed with content.
  • Anatomy lab definitely doesn't take up "a day or more" at all. Lab is a couple times a week with an allotted 2 hour time frame. There is a lab quiz for attendance within the first 15 mins of being in lab, then you're free to do the planned dissection for the day. If you finish early you can leave early. Essentially it takes up as much time as you want it to take. I never stayed the full 2 hours. It's also open 24/7 with badge access so you can always come back at anytime to review if you were so inclined. You essentially watch the scheduled prosection videos before lab then go into lab the next day and do the planned dissections to learn the anatomy. I'm pretty neutral about the experience. It helped me visualize some things, but overall it's more a medical school "rite of passage".
It wouldn't let me respond to your other thread, so I'm responding to it this way instead.

So it's in-person everyday? How many hours a day/week on class is META? Are there quizzes or exams? I'm just planning in advance because I'm getting a puppy and wondering how much time I can train it before the real stuff starts in Module 2 - GAR.

• META had something every day M-F, but because of COVID we were virtual throughout the entire course. I don't know what it will look like for your incoming class since COVID guidelines are always changing. There are no exams, and I can't remember there being any quizzes. It is a very relaxed course with some articles to read and discussions. I remember having little assignments, but not anything crazy. META is not stressful, just more informative if anything.

Is POM (Practice of Medicine) the same as PBL? Sounds like it's clinical skills training/development. It seems that it runs concurrently with GAR, and every other module for 2 years. Does it "get in the way" of studying for GAR? Is it time consuming or stressful?

• POM is its own separate course that will always be happening concurrently with other courses. So during GAR you will have GAR and POM, during MCT you will have MCT and POM, so on and so forth. It is for clinical skills training. It has been a mixed bag with COVID guidelines in terms of seeing standardized patients in person versus virtually. This may be different for your incoming class depending on COVID. For the most part it is a background course with sessions every now and then, but there are assignments occasionally, quizzes occasionally, and there is a midterm and final for it. To be honest it can be frustrating since they time 3-5 hour mandatory sessions close to exams. I wouldn't say it's stressful though, just inconvenient at times.

How many hours a week do you think you were roughly studying a week during the Gross Anatomy & Radio module? I usually hear that anatomy is a big time sink and then it gets easier after (particularly for people that aren't fond of rote memorization). At TTUHSC, someone said they were studying about 60-80 hours a week for 8 weeks for anatomy, then when they got to the molecular bio/cell/tissue stuff, it went down to like 30-35 hours a week. Anatomy, to me, is less logical and "rote memorization" vs. the stuff in "Molecules, Cells, and Tissues", "Pathobiology & Host Defense" and" Neuroscience and Human Behavior" so I imagine I'll find the beginning very stressful then get better after that.

• I think a good average would be about 2600 mins a week, give or take. Or about 6-8 hours a day, depending on the week, content, and how close an exam was. It was nowhere near 60-80 hours a week though, that sounds awful. But like I mentioned before, GAR was the most time intensive and it gets better after it. During MCT I on average studied around 1950 mins a week, so 4.5-5 hours a day give or take, so closer to that 30-35 hour mark.

On Year 1 & 2 Course Information under the GAR: Overview it says: "At least 40% of the scheduled time for the course will be devoted to a dissection lab (four, two hour sessions per week)." Is it 4 "2 hr sessions" or 2 "2 hr sessions" as you mentioned? Maybe they cut it down b/c of COVID or something.

• Our schedule may look different than yours since we had to split into 2 different lab groups for GAR due to COVID. The way it worked is one week group 1 would go 3 times while group 2 went twice, then the next week we'd alternate with group 2 going 3 times and group 1 going twice. So one week would be 3 two hour sessions, and the next would be 2 two hour sessions, and it just kept alternating like that from there. I don't know how they'll decide to set it up for your class.
Is UTMB "true" pass/fail? Or are they internally ranking and grading y'all? Did you hear anything about the Dean's letter/residency app showing your class rank/GPA/whatever when you apply to residencies at the beginning of year 4?

The only scores we receive are "P", "PC", "F". P means you pass, PC means you received partial credit and have to re-do some portion of the course, and F means you failed the course. UTMB does have AOA which I believe is where any ranking comes into play. I don't know anything about the Dean's letter/residency app.

At other Texas med. schools like at Lubbock they've changed their curriculum and giving a dedicated Step 2 time in year 3 for a month. Do you get any dedicated study say a month for Step 2 now that that Step 2 CK score matters the most for matching?

• This is probably a better question for third years.
I'll admit I was turned off by PBL and had no idea that UTMB gives 100% NBME exams. That's a huge benefit in time management and efficiency and worth doing the PBL for 7-8 hrs a week. IME, professor/instructor lectures are almost never as good as national board resources as I've seen from high school through college (SAT, SAT2, AP, MCAT) and if I can basically study from the review books for 2 years that makes for a super chill and effective curriculum that also preps you for Step 1, so I think I'm going to rank UTMB highest than the other texas med. schools I got into based on what I've learned from what you and others described. I just hope that they can give a prematch scholarship before Feb 18, 2022 (but I'm not counting on it lol.)

• I think every school has its pros and cons, it's just a matter of what kind of environment you prefer. All high stakes exams at UTMB are developed by NBME themselves. The way it works is each course will send the content objective list to NBME and based off those objectives NBME will develop an exam for UTMB to give to the students. The course directors will look over the exam NBME developed to make sure it accurately matches the objectives and materials they wanted covered, then on test day you will be in the computerized testing center that facilitates the NBME exam through the NBME program. After every exam is graded within the school and nationally, a NBME sheet will be dispersed with grades letting you know how people scored nationally on the exam, and within your school. For GAR UTMB was always scoring several points over the national average as a class. The NBME info sheet also tells you what areas you did well on, plus where your weak areas are (this is a conceptual map with broad topics and not specific questions you got right or wrong).
Hopefully all this info helped!

Really valuable information i'll keep this all in mind.

> UTMB does have AOA which I believe is where any ranking comes into play. I don't know anything about the Dean's letter/residency app.

I think only 9 out of the 180 students get AOA in junior year (5% of class can be accepted end of third year) so it's kinda pointless to aim for it since the odds are so low IMHO. And by the time you get it end of senior year, you already matched, so at that point it's sorta pointless. Better to be more chill and crush the Step 2.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everything - you swayed me towards UTMB Galveston over the other TX schools I got into. I didn't think that highly of UTMB before but now I like it the most lol.
Honestly a lot of UTMB doesn't care about AOA at all. I personally think it's pointless to aim for it too, and as long as you build a good solid resume with long term commitment to one or two organizations, leadership, networking, and maybe some research, that will go a long way in terms of residency applications and matching. But that's just my take on it.

UTMB is one of the big Texas contenders in my mind, it is a very solid choice with great faculty and the NBME exam focus for me really throws it out of the park. I always feel bad for people who have to study outside of step 1 prep in their didatic years. Feel free to reach out to me when you matriculate if you need anything or want some class guidance! I'm always here to help!

Can someone please help navigate my pre-match offer? In my offer letter it said that I had to respond to my offer of admission within 2 weeks of receiving the letter. On AMP there is a tab for an "offer response" that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.04.41 AM.png

If I submit that I accept my offer of admission does that mean I am committing to the school? I ranked McGovern higher on my pre-match list and still want to see if I match into McG on 3/4. Can someone please advise?

Can someone please help navigate my pre-match offer? In my offer letter it said that I had to respond to my offer of admission within 2 weeks of receiving the letter. On AMP there is a tab for an "offer response" that looks like this:
View attachment 349364

If I submit that I accept my offer of admission does that mean I am committing to the school? I ranked McGovern higher on my pre-match list and still want to see if I match into McG on 3/4. Can someone please advise?
No, accepting the offer on AMP is non-binding. Hit the left radio button, hit save, then submit. Ranking McG higher and having it confirmed on match day would basically "confirm" you going there.
Still, why do you plan to hold more than 1 prematch offer? Do you mean your rank list?

View attachment 349364

Accept your offer of admission, it is not binding, and rank your schools however you want in the match ranking.

No, accepting the offer on AMP is non-binding. Hit the left radio button, hit save, then submit. Ranking McG higher and having it confirmed on match day would basically "confirm" you going there.
Still, why do you plan to hold more than 1 prematch offer? Do you mean your rank list?
Sorry I might've been unclear. I have a pre-match offer from UTMB and no pre-match from McG. I ranked McG higher on TMDSAS which is why I wanted to make sure that the offer of admission from UTMB was non-binding

Sorry I might've been unclear. I have a pre-match offer from UTMB and no pre-match from McG. I ranked McG higher on TMDSAS which is why I wanted to make sure that the offer of admission from UTMB was non-binding
If you rank McG 1 and UTMB 2 one of these 2 scenarios will happen:

1. McG matches you, and you lose your admission to UTMB (I am not sure this is automatic - you may need to accept McG when you match)

2. your admission to UTMB will be retained and you will be placed on McG waitlist until they either admit you later or next deadline comes when no school can admit someone who already has an admission and can only consider those without an admission.

Last edited:
Silly question but when you say like 6-8 hours a day during GAR or 4.5-5 hours a day post-GAR (30-35 hr mark) is this including PBL, POM, labs, seminars, and other mandatory campus duties or are those extra hours to add to your estimates you mentioned above?
This is exclusively dedicated study time. Does not include any class related things.

I'm not sure how I'm ranking UTMB yet, but do yall know if I should accept my offer in MyStar? I've accepted it in the AMP portal. Should I only accept in MyStar if I'm definitely going to matriculate?

What’s the chances of match if we don’t prematch 😂😅 thank you for your kindness btw
As another MS1 who only interviewed at one school (UTMB) and wasn't accepted until match day, it is definitely nerve wracking to be waiting for a match. But not matching until match day is not uncommon and you can still definitely get into UTMB on match day.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure how I'm ranking UTMB yet, but do yall know if I should accept my offer in MyStar? I've accepted it in the AMP portal. Should I only accept in MyStar if I'm definitely going to matriculate?
My memory is a bit foggy on this one. If anything, as long as you've accepted in AMP your position will be held. I think mystar is binding, but I could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt

For the alumni fieldhouse - I know you mentioned you have a home gym so can you get an exemption if you don't need/want to use it or do they force you to pay for it each year even if you live outside Galveston or rotate in Y3/y4 in houston? It's like $410 a year. Are there any other fees you can get out of?
I didn't attempt to wave my gym fee so not sure on that. You can get out of the $3000/year school health insurance if you prove you already have insurance through another entity (this one I did get waived).

Does anyone know if accepting through mySTAR is binding? I accepted through AMP back when I pre-matched, just not sure about mySTAR.

Wait I already accepted the offer through myStar, I thought it was needed for scholarship applications—that won’t affect my acceptances for other med schools right? I’m still waiting to hear back from schools on match day

As another MS1 who only interviewed at one school (UTMB) and wasn't accepted until match day, it is definitely nerve wracking to be waiting for a match. But not matching until match day is not uncommon and you can still definitely get into UTMB on match day.
It’s my one and only right now and I am definitely panicking 😂

Wait I already accepted the offer through myStar, I thought it was needed for scholarship applications—that won’t affect my acceptances for other med schools right? I’m still waiting to hear back from schools on match day
No you’re fine too, nothing is a permanent placement until Match Day for TMDSAS applicants.

Isn’t everything permanent technically on February 18?

This person was asking whether they had permanently committed by filling out more than the minimum paperwork.
If they have had more than one interview they could still end up with a different school on match day.

Does UTMB accept letters of intent and is it helpful at all if I were to send one? Would it be too late in the cycle to send one?

Does UTMB accept letters of intent and is it helpful at all if I were to send one? Would it be too late in the cycle to send one?
I emailed the admissions office and they said yes! They said to upload it to the portal in the documents tab.

No communication from UTMB after being complete in July. Absolutely unprofessional.

No communication from UTMB after being complete in July. Absolutely unprofessional.
How is it "absolutely unprofessional"? They are not the only school that does not send "still under review" emails. I acknowledge it is disheartening to get nothing but silence, except for an interview invite or A, W, or R, but the majority of schools are like this, even within TMDSAS.

I think a good average would be about 2600 mins a week, give or take. Or about 6-8 hours a day, depending on the week, content, and how close an exam was. It was nowhere near 60-80 hours a week though, that sounds awful. But like I mentioned before, GAR was the most time intensive and it gets better after it. During MCT I on average studied around 1950 mins a week, so 4.5-5 hours a day give or take, so closer to that 30-35 hour mark.
This is exclusively dedicated study time. Does not include any class related things.
Hi Zelda,

I had a bunch of questions about UTMB and wanted to pick your brain if you have a moment to spare :)

Do you find UTMB to be much more stressful than undergrad? I found subjects like orgo stressful and most of undergrad was not interesting yet easy to me but I enjoyed physiology, neuroscience, etc. So maybe med. school is more work but more interesting?

How often are exams given? Like every week or 2 weeks? Are they on a certain day of the week and time typically?

With GAR how many total hours a week are you in class and studying? Is it just PBL, lab, POM, any other required campus duties, and studying? It sounds like anatomy lab is: an average of 2.5x a week @ 2 hrs/session = 5 hours/week + PBL is 4 hrs/week + POM 2 hrs/week, and then another 43 hours/week of studying at home. So 55 hours/week which sounds tough. Did you have to be on campus every day of the week during GAR and is GAR 8 or 9 weeks long? After GAR, you said PBL is 6 hrs/week + 32.5 hours/week studying at home + POM 2 hrs/week? So something like 42 hours/week? Were/are there labs too and did you have to be on campus everyday? In general, after GAR, how many days do you have to be on campus? It seems that med school is like a full time job but harder because with a regular office job you get breaks and most people aren't actively working 37.5-40 hours a week (and commute of say 5 hrs a week so 45 hours total), but in med school you're just studying with focus the whole time which is harder.

Since UTMB has a Step 1-curriculum, do they give you practice exams for each block exam? Also, you mentioned Anking and Frankendeck. I've heard of Anking but not Frankendeck. I know Anking is the most popular so is it worth using Frankendeck or just stick with Anking? I've never used Anki before and don't know how to use it really but do you have any recommendations on how to best use it including any plugins?

Does UTMB go over Anki during Meta or how to study well for GAR and other modules? Is META serious and hard? It's 6 weeks long but doesn't seem to teach anything Step 1 related and is there PBL during META for that? How many hours/week is META including class time and study time? And does the actual curriculum start with Module 2 GAR? If GAR is the real curriculum, is it true it started on 8/23/2021 and ended on 10/22/201 for your class? In other words, can we expect that things are easy until GAR starts?

I've heard that studying for anatomy is very different than the later modules and I worry about GAR the most. Subjects where there are logical reasoning like physiology and neuroscience are easier to remember versus anatomy which is mostly rote memorization which is my weak point. I think you said you don't read powerpoints or watch professor lectures so how did you study for GAR to pass? Do you mind giving a breakdown on what review materials you used, what Anki deck you used, and so on for GAR vs the later modules? Do the professor videos or powerpoints tip you on what will be on the exam or are the board review materials enough? Do you frequently watch professor videos at like 1.5 or 2x speed or did you ignore professor videos entirely? I really hate watching lectures and would rather just use review books, anki, and see what could be tested on the powerpoints if that's how it works at UTMB. I've heard that sometimes the professors will clue you in on what to focus for exams in lectures but not sure if I want to slog through so much video in a week even at 1.5-2x speed. Since you mentioned using board review materials to study exclusively how exactly do you know what topics to study and in what detail? For instance, maybe a review book may go enough detail for the Step 1 but maybe not the block exam if you know what I mean.

Also, if I wanted to get a headstart on GAR how would I use Anking and other review materials to do that? Like what topic do you start GAR with and how would one go about studying that from Anking? I'm not going to study before school starts, but I just want to familiarize myself with using Anki, Anking, etc perhaps during META or something.

What happens if you fail an exam, lab practical, or quiz, and how do you remediate if that happens? What grade do you need to generally pass? Do a decent number of people run into that situation? Are there any specific exams, topics, units, or modules that people fail out a lot on? At other schools, I've heard as much as 10% of the class can fail exams or repeat the year. What does it take to fail a course and also be forced to take the year off like you fail one or 2 exams and that's it? You have to repeat the year or you're possibly out? Is there like any foolproof way to passing with confidence like knowing what to expect on the exams, any provided practice exams, or does UTMB do a good job of letting you know what you need to know to pass with a decent margin.

Last edited:
How is it "absolutely unprofessional"? They are not the only school that does not send "still under review" emails. I acknowledge it is disheartening to get nothing but silence, except for an interview invite or A, W, or R, but the majority of schools are like this, even within TMDSAS.

You're joking right? The deadline for ranking is tomorrow. The obvious course of action would be to at least send out a rejection email to those who never heard back.

You're joking right? The deadline for ranking is tomorrow. The obvious course of action would be to at least send out a rejection email to those who never heard back.
I think this would be true if it was an amcas school, but because the way TMDSAS is set up with the different deadlines and the match, I don’t think it’s necessary for each medical school to send a rejection. If an in state applicant didn’t hear about an interview by February 17th, I think UTMB (and most TMDSAS schools) assumes they know they can’t match

I think this would be true if it was an amcas school, but because the way TMDSAS is set up with the different deadlines and the match, I don’t think it’s necessary for each medical school to send a rejection. If an in state applicant didn’t hear about an interview by February 17th, I think UTMB (and most TMDSAS schools) assumes they know they can’t match
I've had official rejections sent from the majority of TMDSAS schools already. It's literally the least they could do after taking 70 bucks.

I am currently taking classes at Sam Houston State University with a Bachelor's of Science in Psychology, does anyone know if there is a way I can see if any of my psychology courses can fulfill the required classes along with some of the biology and chemistry classes I have already taken because I am supposed to graduate Spring 2023 which would set me to take the MCAT in the upcoming months along with sending my applications. I do not want to apply and not have all the classes I need.

I am currently taking classes at Sam Houston State University with a Bachelor's of Science in Psychology, does anyone know if there is a way I can see if any of my psychology courses can fulfill the required classes along with some of the biology and chemistry classes I have already taken because I am supposed to graduate Spring 2023 which would set me to take the MCAT in the upcoming months along with sending my applications. I do not want to apply and not have all the classes I need.
1. One good resource is the TMDSAS website, where you can look at prerequisites.
General Coursework information: Prescribed Coursework Definitions

There is another section on the TMDSAS pages that tells you whether the specific course numbers for your college will fulfill the pre-req requirements for TMDSAS; the section is called "course listings" and is searchable by college.
For your college: Sam Houston State University

2. Another place is the web page of each particular medical school which states the number of hours of each class they require.

Psychology classes generally fall under humanities although a Statistics course under the Psych department will generally work for your math requirement.

I also ranked UTMB above UTH for the reasons @BotPuppet mentioned and also

-scholarshly concentrations are really unique. I was particularly drawn to bilingual health and physician healer track
-theres super cheap housing if you are into frats. an example is TKY which is $450/month and you get to live with other cool UTMB students. there's also a chef that cooks during week days and this is all included in monthly cost. Houston, especially around TMC, is not as cheap as ppl think
-lectures are not mandatory
-UTMB is the oldest medical school which means it has a lot of scholarships to give due to donors and alumni
-UTMB has a student-run clinic (st Vincents). it also doesn't have to share it with anyone as opposed to UTH which has to share the HOMES clinic with Baylor
-UTMB recently built a new hospital in 2016 (Jennie sealy) which is really nice
-you can choose to do all of your rotations in Houston in which you will leave Galveston and UTMB will pay for your housing in houston
-theres a Krogers on the island but if you really crave HEB then I think the closest one is in Texas city which Is only 20 mins away
@frlbd2 I don't think the part about getting your housing in Houston paid for is correct, can you show me your source?
I know this was true for some Tyler rotations.

Last edited:
@frlbd2 I don't think the part about getting your housing in Houston paid for is correct, can you show me your source?
I know this was true for some Tyler rotations.
It’s not correct. At the tour UTMB said they’ll pay for housing at rotations within Tyler and Corpus Christi. I believe they said if you choose to rotate at another “small” city they can attempt to pay housing there as well. The way they presented the information was very confusing so that’s why people assumed Houston was included

It’s not correct. At the tour UTMB said they’ll pay for housing at rotations within Tyler and Corpus Christi. I believe they said if you choose to rotate at another “small” city they can attempt to pay housing there as well. The way they presented the information was very confusing so that’s why people assumed Houston was included
was there any other useful info they told you at the tour?

They told us this during campus preview day. I'm 100% sure I did not mishear but perhaps it was a mistake in the moment from them. Either way I apologize! @wysdoc @scaredpremed12345

Hi Zelda,

I had a bunch of questions about UTMB and wanted to pick your brain if you have a moment to spare :)

Do you find UTMB to be much more stressful than undergrad? I found subjects like orgo stressful and most of undergrad was not interesting yet easy to me but I enjoyed physiology, neuroscience, etc. So maybe med. school is more work but more interesting?

How often are exams given? Like every week or 2 weeks? Are they on a certain day of the week and time typically?

With GAR how many total hours a week are you in class and studying? Is it just PBL, lab, POM, any other required campus duties, and studying? It sounds like anatomy lab is: an average of 2.5x a week @ 2 hrs/session = 5 hours/week + PBL is 4 hrs/week + POM 2 hrs/week, and then another 43 hours/week of studying at home. So 55 hours/week which sounds tough. Did you have to be on campus every day of the week during GAR and is GAR 8 or 9 weeks long? After GAR, you said PBL is 6 hrs/week + 32.5 hours/week studying at home + POM 2 hrs/week? So something like 42 hours/week? Were/are there labs too and did you have to be on campus everyday? In general, after GAR, how many days do you have to be on campus? It seems that med school is like a full time job but harder because with a regular office job you get breaks and most people aren't actively working 37.5-40 hours a week (and commute of say 5 hrs a week so 45 hours total), but in med school you're just studying with focus the whole time which is harder.

Since UTMB has a Step 1-curriculum, do they give you practice exams for each block exam? Also, you mentioned Anking and Frankendeck. I've heard of Anking but not Frankendeck. I know Anking is the most popular so is it worth using Frankendeck or just stick with Anking? I've never used Anki before and don't know how to use it really but do you have any recommendations on how to best use it including any plugins?

Does UTMB go over Anki during Meta or how to study well for GAR and other modules? Is META serious and hard? It's 6 weeks long but doesn't seem to teach anything Step 1 related and is there PBL during META for that? How many hours/week is META including class time and study time? And does the actual curriculum start with Module 2 GAR? If GAR is the real curriculum, is it true it started on 8/23/2021 and ended on 10/22/201 for your class? In other words, can we expect that things are easy until GAR starts?

I've heard that studying for anatomy is very different than the later modules and I worry about GAR the most. Subjects where there are logical reasoning like physiology and neuroscience are easier to remember versus anatomy which is mostly rote memorization which is my weak point. I think you said you don't read powerpoints or watch professor lectures so how did you study for GAR to pass? Do you mind giving a breakdown on what review materials you used, what Anki deck you used, and so on for GAR vs the later modules? Do the professor videos or powerpoints tip you on what will be on the exam or are the board review materials enough? Do you frequently watch professor videos at like 1.5 or 2x speed or did you ignore professor videos entirely? I really hate watching lectures and would rather just use review books, anki, and see what could be tested on the powerpoints if that's how it works at UTMB. I've heard that sometimes the professors will clue you in on what to focus for exams in lectures but not sure if I want to slog through so much video in a week even at 1.5-2x speed. Since you mentioned using board review materials to study exclusively how exactly do you know what topics to study and in what detail? For instance, maybe a review book may go enough detail for the Step 1 but maybe not the block exam if you know what I mean.

Also, if I wanted to get a headstart on GAR how would I use Anking and other review materials to do that? Like what topic do you start GAR with and how would one go about studying that from Anking? I'm not going to study before school starts, but I just want to familiarize myself with using Anki, Anking, etc perhaps during META or something.

What happens if you fail an exam, lab practical, or quiz, and how do you remediate if that happens? What grade do you need to generally pass? Do a decent number of people run into that situation? Are there any specific exams, topics, units, or modules that people fail out a lot on? At other schools, I've heard as much as 10% of the class can fail exams or repeat the year. What does it take to fail a course and also be forced to take the year off like you fail one or 2 exams and that's it? You have to repeat the year or you're possibly out? Is there like any foolproof way to passing with confidence like knowing what to expect on the exams, any provided practice exams, or does UTMB do a good job of letting you know what you need to know to pass with a decent margin.
  • So I've mentioned before that I went into med school with the mindset that it was gonna suck honestly. I thought I was gonna be really down most of the time and stressed out, but refreshingly I haven't been at all. Don't get me wrong, it is a full time job in it's own right, but I feel really comfortable and not really all that stressed. I think the fact that I hyped myself up for it to be this big bad thing helped since it didn't meet those bad expectations, but it is consistent work. If you stay consistent and make a schedule, you should feel good knowing that as long as you stick to whatever is on your schedule for the day, you will be on top of things. I was a little burnt out in undergrad so my study habits weren't the best, but even then I wouldn't say I was super stressed in undergrad. At UTMB I feel way more comfortable with the content (after review of course) and wouldn't say it's hard, it's just A LOT. GAR is gonna hit you hard at first and I had the least amount of free time in that course. But after GAR, I have felt a lot more at ease and just kinda cruising if that makes sense? I took a couple gap years though and was ready to get back to school so my feelings may be different than someone coming straight from undergrad. Overall though, the content will be no more difficult than say a microbio or bicohem course, there's just way more to cover and connecting the dots to clinical presentations.
  • First year everything is in the morning, second year you switch to afternoon. For each course the big exams are just 1 midterm and 1 final. But every week you'll have pbl quizzes at the end of the case, which are worth 10% of total course score. Exams are typically on Friday's at 8am.
  • So with GAR you have PBL 2x a week (~4 hours), and lab 2.5x a week (~ 5 hours). POM is not every week. POM usually will be once every few weeks, it's not a weekly thing. Just depends on is an OSCE is coming up, etc. For GAR I only had to be on campus for lab, but that's cause my PBL was still online. It may be different for you guys. I definitely was not on campus every day though. GAR is also 8 weeks. Again, POM is not every week, but yes you'll have 3 pbl sessions after GAR, but honestly most people finish within 1-1.5 hours and never really use the whole 2 hours, just depends on your groups pace, so MAX and unlikely would be 6 hours of PBL after GAR. There was no lab in MCT (course after GAR) for us, but there was for the year before us so don't know what they'll decide for the coming year. I was only on campus for PBL in MCT, so 3x a week. Honestly I'm only usually on campus for PBL so typically max 3x a week, but that's cause we're not fully in person yet, so may be different for the incoming class. Honestly, you should absolutely take breaks while studying. Studying non-stop will not be good for your mental health. There have also been times where I forewent studying to eat dinner with friends or have a game night. Given, this wasn't often, but you have to give yourself a mental break in med school. I also never study for more than 1 hour at a time, typically I'll study in 30 min intervals with little breaks in between, or occasionally 1 hour intervals with bigger breaks in between.
  • Some people prefer frankendeck cause it has less cards, but honestly I think Anking is better. When school starts though they'll have little sessions for the first years that go over anki and the decks and why you should choose one over the other. There's a lot of guidance for the first years from upperclassmen. You can always attend the anki info session during META (they hold several sessions for new years) or if you want you can always DM me and I can go over how to use ank and anking in general. Anking comes more in handy after GAR. Usually the courses do post a practice exam the week before midterm/final, but they're not NBME practice exams, more in-house practice.
  • And yup! Like I just mentioned, there will be a lot of info sessions scheduled out throughout META that you're free to attend at your leisure. A lot of orgs organize ppt's to help new first years and guide you into knowing what you'll need for each course. There was an info session about how to approach GAR and MCT that I attended. There's also that anki info session I mentioned. Lots of helpful advice is available. META is not hard, it's just a way to ease you into being in school and starting med school. More a mindset thing. I couldn't tell you how many hours a week but nothing crazy like GAR. META is not stressful at all, you won't have to hit the ground running until GAR. Yup that was our GAR schedule length. Things are easy until GAR, yes, but take a deep breath, you will be okay, there is a lot of support at UTMB within friends and the school. GAR is just a lot of material, but doable.
  • GAR is different, yes. But the course is the most organized course you'll get, trust me when I say they make sure you know what you need to know. The staff is AMAZING and hilarious and they will get you through it. For GAR they posted short recorded lectures and prosection videos which I did watch (the lectures were brief and easy to follow and I would recommend watching them). Basically what I did for GAR was watch all the lecture videos for the week at the beginning, then there is this thing called "Scribes" that will be your GAR holy grail. So watch the videos, then read the corresponding scribes chapters. After that review with anki (caveat in that you do not use the Anking deck fro GAR, we had an upper classmen make decks that correspond with the scribe reading and that is what you will be using for GAR). You will be given access to the anki decks you need from GAR through the info sessions I mentioned, they are GREAT. There is only 1 chapter not covered with the anki deck made for GAR, but I ended up making a deck for that specific chapter, you can always reach out to me for it once you're in GAR. But overall that's it, just lecture preview, scribes reading, then corresponding anki deck. With that I did very well. Prosection videos will help you prepare for whatever you have to do in lab that day, and for lab exams you can just review the objective list to make sure you can identify everything listed on cadaver pictures (you'll be given resources to practice this). I only watched GAR lecture materials, but after that switched to exclusive B&B. Upperclassmen have a document that covers all the B&B material that corresponds to each course after GAR, that will be passed down to you so you'll know. Also, the course schedule in blackboard tells you the topics, you just correspond the B&B videos, but the doc I mentioned does that work for you basically.
  • Enjoy your free time now. Once in META info sessions will help with this I promise. There are also a lot of mentor-mentee programs you can sign up for to get an upperclassmen mentor to help guide you along.
  • You need a 70 to pass all courses. I believe you are given another try on certain things like OSCE's. Quizzes are a one and done, so nothing for those. There are options for course remediation that I believe are in the summer. That said, most people do fine or above average at UTMB. But the school will do their best to help you succeed, there are options if the time comes to it. I'm not well versed in all those details though. Overall, I think we're prepped well for our exams in all courses except for one. But you'd have to DM for more info on that.