2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So jealous of IS Texas applicants. 1/3 of all applicants to UTMB get interviews. That's ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

So jealous of IS Texas applicants. 1/3 of all applicants to UTMB get interviews. That's ridiculous.

I think all the UTs do that approx. And Tech Lubbock as well. Although North Dakota/Arkansas/Mississippi are the best states in terms of percent interviewed and percent accepted haha
The thing that scares me is only 20% of people are accepted. There's so much competition.

I think all the UTs do that approx. And Tech Lubbock as well. Although North Dakota/Arkansas/Mississippi are the best states in terms of percent interviewed and percent accepted haha
The thing that scares me is only 20% of people are accepted. There's so much competition.

Yeah, but when TX applicants have a million in-state public schools, I don't think you have much to worry about, haha. When I have kids... I'm establishing residence in one of those states (or Texas) to get 'em the perks. :)

Good luck to you at your interview! When's yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but when TX applicants have a million in-state public schools, I don't think you have much to worry about, haha. When I have kids... I'm establishing residence in one of those states (or Texas) to get 'em the perks. :)

Good luck to you at your interview! When's yours?

End of September! I know UTMB has a very high gpa average, and mine is around a 3.6 (LizzyM 70), so I was really not expecting one. Good luck for your interview!! Please post back after and tell us all about it :)

checking your email once a day is enough! I'm sure you have classwork to do :)

I love senior year because I'm taking a minimum course load that includes required courses such as Filmmaking and French:) Easy semester, but I agree, I should limit my email time :p Although because I didn't think we could get IIs on weekends, I hadn't bothered to check my email at all. Had about 2 asking me to donate money to various "relatives" in Nigeria and the Congo. Another promised me I would meet the man of my dreams if I clicked the link below. (Why is my spam folder not working?!) And then the II here:)

How is your son's app cycle going?

I love senior year because I'm taking a minimum course load that includes required courses such as Filmmaking and French:) Easy semester, but I agree, I should limit my email time :p Although because I didn't think we could get IIs on weekends, I hadn't bothered to check my email at all. Had about 2 asking me to donate money to various "relatives" in Nigeria and the Congo. Another promised me I would meet the man of my dreams if I clicked the link below. (Why is my spam folder not working?!) And then the II here:)

How is your son's app cycle going?
My son is in his first few weeks of classes at UTMB :) (applied 2015-2016 cycle)

My son is in his first few weeks of classes at UTMB :) (applied 2015-2016 cycle)

Oops haha! That's so great! I'm very excited about UTMB. Didn't think I would get a II here :) How does he like it? Did he have any specifics as to why he chose it?

Where is that stat located??

MSAR. They receive like ~3600 apps from IS and interview about 1000. They accept around 220. So you have a 33% chance of interviewing, and then a 20% chance of being accepted.

MSAR. They receive like ~3600 apps from IS and interview about 1000. They accept around 220. So you have a 33% chance of interviewing, and then a 20% chance of being accepted.

Keep in mind that 220 is the class size/matriculant pool. They may offer multiple acceptances per seat knowing that in the match or for OOS applicants, people may choose another school over UTMB. Schools generally accept 1.5-2x the amount of students compared to what they want the final class size to be. I'm not sure if UTMB does this, but hopefully the acceptance chance after interviewing is higher than 20%!

It's more than that. They matriculate 220 but they send out closer to 400 acceptances. You have to remember that not everyone who receives an acceptance will actually attend that school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind that 220 is the class size/matriculant pool. They may offer multiple acceptances per seat knowing that in the match or for OOS applicants, people may choose another school over UTMB. Schools generally accept 1.5-2x the amount of students compared to what they want the final class size to be. I'm not sure if UTMB does this, but hopefully the acceptance chance after interviewing is higher than 20%!

Oh yeah haha But they are much more conservative with the amount of acceptances since a&m had that over acceptance fiasco a few years ago.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any current UTMB student an OOSer without any previous ties to Texas? Wondering how I should approach my interview in 2 weeks. My application demonstrates passion about serving the medically underserved and cultural capacity, and I'm from another state in the South.

Just curious, but have any reapplicants for this cycle heard any news about II's?

Hey ya'll, I'm an MS1 at UTMB! Let me know if ya'll have any questions!

Here's why I LOVE UTMB:

-Extremely nurturing atmosphere with plenty of "half" days so you have ample time to study independently

-Strong emphasis on the USMLE Step 1 which yields impressive residency matches into competitive programs. If you want to go into a competitive speciality, UTMB is an EXCELLENT place to be and is on par with UTSW/Baylor/UTH. In fact, if you compute the percentage of each medical school class from different Texas schools that go into non-primary care (not that there's anything wrong with primary care! I'm merely using this stat as a proxy for how impressive the preparation at UTMB is), there are years when UTMB boasts the highest percentage matching into non-primary care, competitive specialties!

Consider this: UTMB's average matriculant is a 3.9/31 (old MCAT scale) student. Baylor and UTSW's typical matriculant is a 3.9/34-35. And yet despite this difference in standardized tests scores coming in, UTMB invariably ranks in the top 3 in Texas in terms of Step 1 scores with Baylor and UTSW and often beats out Baylor and UTSW (though not every year, it definitely rotates). That's absolutely phenomenal and it should speak volumes about how effective UTMB's curriculum is. In some sense this should not be a surprise. Before hurricane Ike, UTMB used to rank with UTH somewhere in the ~50s on US News World Rankings

Source: https://media.bcm.edu/documents/2013/2c/alumni-newslink-apr-2011.pdf

Hurricane Ike caused over $1B in damage and necessitated restructuring and layoffs which impacted how much grant money came in which (among other factors that have absolutely NO impact on the quality of medical education you'll receive at UTMB) impacted rankings. Consequently, UTMB chose to forego its place in the US News rankings and is considered "unranked." This is different from "rank not published." "Rank not published" means the school ranks within the bottom 1/3 of all medical schools. Unranked means the school chooses not to publish its information to US News. The reason for that is because the concomitant drop in rank due to Ike's damage would artificially tarnish UTMB's reputation. UTMB didn't lose incoming grant money because the research dropped in quality all of a sudden. They lost grant money because they had to lay people off in the interim. It's been 8 years since Ike and UTMB's recovered tremendously, with the new Jennie Sealy hospital being the crown jewel of that recovery. According to some of the higher ups I've talked to, UTMB will start to publish its data to US News once again within the next couple of years when it anticipates that it will regain its former rank as a top 50 medical school.

Last year, one of the course directors for UTMB's Gross Anatomy and Radiology (GAR) course was recruited to Dell medical school. Dell further constructed their curriculum with HEAVY influence from UTMB's integrated curriculum

You'll find that medical school in general necessitates a large amount of independent study from its students. It doesn't matter which school you go to - every medical student uses First Aid. Every medical student will go through UWorld. Most will watch Pathoma videos and Sketchy Micro or Picmonic. Many will read through Costanzo's physiology at some point and BRS Anatomy and High yield Neuroanatomy (the list goes on...)

UTMB is an excellent place to go to school because you are given the freedom and free time to pursue these auxiliary study resources. Most lectures are EXCELLENT (shoutout to Dr. Barral who is AMAZING) and will provide you with a strong foundation with an emphasis on clinically-relevant, high yield material, but having the free time to build your own study schedule to achieve your goal score on Step 1 is so critical I cannot emphasize it enough. You're TESTED with NBME questions so you're getting Step 1 preparation right off the bat!

-The faculty and staff at UTMB WANT YOU TO SUCCEED. If you want to pursue a career in Neurosurgery, they will tell you exactly what you need to make it happen and the faculty are extremely supportive. We had a neurosurgery resident who graduated from UTMB talk to us about this very fact. He decided on neurosurgery somewhat late during his tenure at UTMB and he said the neurosurgery faculty were extremely accommodating in letting him join a lab to get the requisite research credentials he needed to succeed in the residency match. I've personally been here for a week and I've already met the former program director for Internal Medicine (he's a Gastroenterologist and he's internationally-renowned in his field). He gave me the opportunity to round with him and his residents! He was formerly a professor of internal medicine/gastroenterology at Baylor College of Medicine! Our current provost Dr. Jacobs was formerly at Duke University School of Medicine. Our current president Dr. Callender is a head and neck surgeon who was formerly vice chancellor at UCLA school of medicine. So we have a lot of "higher ups" who come from prestigious institutions who have a strong vision for continually improving UTMB's standing and reputation!

Speaking of reputation, one of our lecturers Dr. Coggeshall was formerly a professor at HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL for 15-20 years. How cool is that? It definitely shows! He's a strong proponent of the socratic method during lecture, but he does it in such a nice and nurturing way it's great. But I absolutely LOVE getting lectures from him because he's such a brilliant guy.

I just feel like it's very easy to network at UTMB as you need to in order to achieve your dream residency match.

------------------------

Now since interviews are probably on a lot of yalls mind I figure I should tell you about how my interview day went! As an in state ORM I applied with a 3.91 cGPA B.S. Biochemistry, B.S. Neuroscience, B.S. Chemical Engineering (Minor: Mathematics) from UT Austin and a 517 on the new MCAT (96th percentile IIRC). The turnaround from my application being completed to my receiving an II was fairly quick, on the order of two weeks!

I had one "rough" interview where I honestly thought I had bombed it, and a second interview that was super conversational and super supportive and I still got in! Interviews are a funny thing. The interviews really hit or miss and they strongly depend on who's interviewing you. But in spite of having an interview that I felt didn't go so well I was accepted!

There is one thing I remember from interview day that was a little stressful for me. I had an interview in the basic science research building, but the front door was locked when I got there! I had to wait for a student/faculty/staff member to walk by and use their key card to open the door for me. If you end up in this position DON'T sweat because they know this can be an issue for some people and they won't hold it against you if you happen to end up to an interview late.

Let me know if ya'll have any more questions about interview day and I wish you all the best in this application cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Any anecdotes of people being complete in June and still receive an interview after September?

Yeah, I'm pretty scared that I haven't gotten more II's despite being done in May/June

Reactions: 1 user
yea i talked to admissions and basically were like its a bad sign but it could still happen if you havent been rejected already

How can one find out if they are have been rejected already from a texas school?

Last edited:
yea i talked to admissions and basically were like its a bad sign but it could still happen if you havent been rejected already

Who did you talk to in admissions and what did they say exactly?

I'm not sure about this. A lot of people that I personally know who had average stats (LizzyM 65-70) received the majority of their interviews in October and November after they applied in June.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure about this. A lot of people that I personally know who had average stats (LizzyM 65-70) received the majority of their interviews in October and November after they applied in June.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That is a lot more convincing! I hope you are right about that.

I'm sorry, but stuff like this just makes people worry needlessly. You don't get rejected from TX schools until after the match, so your post can be translated to "everyone still has a shot". Also, when I received my II from here, there was a list of dates for the pre II social, and they offer IIs in November and December. So obviously there is still HUGE chance that many more people will get IIs. I understand you are concerned, but posts like these just cause everyone to freak out.

For anyone with interviews soon...

Is anyone else having trouble getting the AMWA housing to send the request to donate/schedule housing?
I've emailed them twice and submitted an extra time over the past few weeks but they haven't responded.
The interview is in 10 days from now and I'm reluctant to pay $100 for a one night stay.

How are OOS interviewees traveling to UTMB? I'm planning on flying from Atlanta to Houston and then getting to Galveston. Does anyone know if Uber works between these two cities? Or is there a good shuttle service I can take? Or should I rent a car?

How are OOS interviewees traveling to UTMB? I'm planning on flying from Atlanta to Houston and then getting to Galveston. Does anyone know if Uber works between these two cities? Or is there a good shuttle service I can take? Or should I rent a car?

If you haven't booked yet, try to fly to Hobby (HOU) rather than Bush (IAH). Hobby is much, much closer to Galveston and should save you lots on the Uber (which should definitely work between the two cities). Also Bush is one of the worst airports I've ever been to, so another reason to avoid it. :p Hobby is mainly Southwest flights, which should be fine for you since ATL is a Southwest hub.

If you haven't booked yet, try to fly to Hobby (HOU) rather than Bush (IAH). Hobby is much, much closer to Galveston and should save you lots on the Uber (which should definitely work between the two cities). Also Bush is one of the worst airports I've ever been to, so another reason to avoid it. :p Hobby is mainly Southwest flights, which should be fine for you since ATL is a Southwest hub.
Hobby airport is only 35 minutes from Galveston Island. Renting a car would be much cheaper than a taxi or ride share. A shuttle van called Galveston Express is $30.00 and would probablybe the cheapest. You can book it online.

Last edited:
Back in the old days, there used to be a small plane service from Bush/Galveston airport. Literally took about 20 minutes according to my uncle who would take it for work.

Thanks for the help, @Skittsie13 and @wysdoc! It's a shame that most flights from ATL to HOU are much more expensive than ATL to IAH.

EDIT: Typo fixed. ATL to HOU is more expensive than ATL to IAH.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, @Skittsie13 and @wysdoc! It's a shame that most flights from ATL to HOU are much more expensive than ATL to IAH.

EDIT: Typo fixed. ATL to HOU is more expensive than ATL to IAH.

I guess you could calculate with the extra Uber fare (unless you're renting a car) which airport would be cheaper. The distance to IAH might make it more expensive even if the fare is cheaper.

Hobby also has service from Delta from Atlanta.

However, I have seen fares under $100 from Frontier in the recent past to Bush.

I guess you could calculate with the extra Uber fare (unless you're renting a car) which airport would be cheaper. The distance to IAH might make it more expensive even if the fare is cheaper.
Uber is currently allowed to give a ride from Hobby to Galveston ($60 to $90 one way) but NOT to pick up in Galveston going back. http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/...st-got-cheaper-uber-lyft-approved-in-houston/
Still probably better to shuttle or rent a car. Maybe the cost can be split with another interviewee for the trip back!

Could any female who has been to the social tell me what they wore? This is more stressful than picking my interview outfit :p

Could any female who has been to the social tell me what they wore? This is more stressful than picking my interview outfit :p

From a previous post somewhere in this thread, male students and interviewees wore shorts and a tee. So I don't think you could go wrong in some jeans and a nice t-shirt/casual blouse (casual wear).
Disclaimer: I am not well versed in female attire

From a previous post somewhere in this thread, male students and interviewees wore shorts and a tee. So I don't think you could go wrong in some jeans and a nice t-shirt/casual blouse (casual wear).
Disclaimer: I am not well versed in female attire

Thanks!! Do you think a casual summer skirt (long, not short) would also be an okay option? I'm debating between capris/skirt lol

Thanks!! Do you think a casual summer skirt (long, not short) would also be an okay option? I'm debating between capris/skirt lol

Dress comfortably for the night before social! We're all super casual here and I can assure you your choice of attire will not affect your chances of admission in any way :)

As a general rule, medical students wear casual clothing unless seeing patients (real or standardized). Galveston is too hot and humid to wear business professional all the time!

Capris are not a bad choice because the mosquitoes here can be vicious. Keep some mild or moderate (10-25% DEET) Off spray on hand if possible!

I carry around an umbrella and Off spray for mosquitoes at all times on my person. Classic Galveston (you'll get used to it!)

I wore a casual dress and flats but a lot of other girls wore jeans/capris and a nice top. Most boys wore a collared shirt and pants/shorts. The medical students at the social were in matching polos. Overall, really casual event. Hope this helps!

Hey y'all, 4th year here - currently with way too much free time on my hands. If you have questions about almost any aspect of life at UTMB feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can. I've really enjoyed my time here. But I know nothing about admissions so sorry I won't be able to help you there!

Interviewed today as an OOS! Thought both interviews went really well for me. I won't even be mad if I don't get in here, because everyone was so stankin' nice.

Just interviewed as well, got a parking citation because I was running late but apart from that it was really enjoyable!
Just a heads up, when they say "the morning starts with breakfast at 8:30", they mean get there at 8 to get food while the program itself starts at 8:30.

I had no breakfast or lunch today (a 30 minute interview stretched to an hour, good conversation flow about research) and am currently stuffing my citationed face with food.

Just a warning, some of the other applicants can be rude. I suspect it's like that everywhere but I didn't expect to be called an idiot for showing up with an "inferior GPA" today. Don't let them get to you and tell them to mind their own business ;). I'm sure he was just nervous and trying to psyche people out, and my interviews went extremely smoothly anyway!

Just interviewed as well, got a parking citation because I was running late but apart from that it was really enjoyable!
Just a heads up, when they say "the morning starts with breakfast at 8:30", they mean get there at 8 to get food while the program itself starts at 8:30.

I had no breakfast or lunch today (a 30 minute interview stretched to an hour, good conversation flow about research) and am currently stuffing my citationed face with food.

Just a warning, some of the other applicants can be rude. I suspect it's like that everywhere but I didn't expect to be called an idiot for showing up with an "inferior GPA" today. Don't let them get to you and tell them to mind their own business ;). I'm sure he was just nervous and trying to psyche people out, and my interviews went extremely smoothly anyway!
Holy crap what??? Utmb seems to attract very friendly laid back people so that person with such a superior gpa can go to some cut throat school, and then realize he isn't the best anymore and fall into a deep depression and wish he had friends... Sorry about that experience, I found most other applicants to be friendly at my interview

Wow, that's Michael Scott-level cringe right there. How did that even come up in conversation?

Sorry you had to deal with that annoying applicant! I had nothing but great experiences dealings with you Texans and UTMB faculty. :D

To be fair, though, they did tell us that check-in started at 8:15. And the actual program started at 8:45 with the introduction from Dr. Wen.

What? Unless you had your Gpa on your name tag or you told the person, how would he know this?

Wait I'm confused. This sucks but how did that dude even know your GPA/MCAT info?

Also guys, it's been almost a month since I got the UTMB app received email. Should I be worried? I see that people have been getting II's 2 weeks after that email. I got it on 8/24. No word since

Also guys, it's been almost a month since I got the UTMB app received email. Should I be worried? I see that people have been getting II's 2 weeks after that email. I got it on 8/24. No word since

From my experience, IIs come in batches. Don't worry until the next wave of IIs come out and people post, and you haven't gotten one. Every II I've received has been accompanied with other IIs posted on the school specific thread. I got my UTMB interview a few weeks ago, and my e-mail got to me in July. Just wait it out.