2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhhhh is this binding?! My mySTAR now says "Intention to Matriculate" after I clicked the accept thing...I was just trying to save my seat

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhhhh is this binding?! My mySTAR now says "Intention to Matriculate" after I clicked the accept thing...I was just trying to save my seat
It's ok, take a breath.

You still need to enter your rank list on TMDSAS portal for the Texas Match.
Rank schools how you want them.
You will exit Match Day with one school.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's ok, take a breath.

So we don't need to worry about the myStar emails from UTMB until after match day right? (And that's only if we plan to matriculate there?)

According to one of the earlier emails, access to my star would help us identify if we were missing any prerequisites or if we had any thing else pending to do. Has anyone been able to access this information on their mystar? I just need to make sure all my prerequisites are complete and be sure I only have to focus on transcripts and immunizations for now. Btw has anyone sent their transcripts already? If yes, did you send them by mail? Or electronically? Thanks

According to one of the earlier emails, access to my star would help us identify if we were missing any prerequisites or if we had any thing else pending to do. Has anyone been able to access this information on their mystar? I just need to make sure all my prerequisites are complete and be sure I only have to focus on transcripts and immunizations for now. Btw has anyone sent their transcripts already? If yes, did you send them by mail? Or electronically? Thanks
I don't think they've updated MyStar yet for to-do list because I don't have any pending tasks. I remember reading that Enrollment services will send us an email to send our transcripts when they are ready to receive them! They probably won't start doing all this for a couple more weeks or possibly till after the match when the full class is seated!

Reactions: 1 user
It's ok, take a breath.

I am OOS, so I do not participate in the match. Are we sure that MySTAR is not binding? I just want to save my seat for now.

I am OOS, so I do not participate in the match. Are we sure that MySTAR is not binding? I just want to save my seat for now.
Sure, for OOS applicants just treat it like any AMCAS school. You are free to accept more than one offer of admission as they come to you.
You will need to narrow your schools down to 3 by April 15th and down to one by April 30th.

Sure, for OOS applicants just treat it like any AMCAS school. You are free to accept more than one offer of admission as they come to you.
You will need to narrow your schools down to 3 by April 15th and down to one by April 30th.
Great, thank you!

Can any current students talk about the in-person requirements during the day-to-day life at UTMB?

I ask because my wife has been accepted to A&M for her PhD program and I interviewed at UTMB back in September. It is a 2.5 hour drive from college station to Galveston, but I prematched at SHSU-COM which is only an hour from college station and I am not sure how I should rank these.

I was hoping to get some insight from current students about how much of the first year is virtual and how often you have to go in-person. I remember during interview day that someone mentioned that all the classes were streamed and recorded even Pre-COVID. Is this true? How often do you have to go in for Anatomy lab? Can you pref. 3rd and 4th year rotations in areas outside of Galveston (like would it be possible for me to have rotations in the direction of college station)?

Can any current students talk about the in-person requirements during the day-to-day life at UTMB?

I ask because my wife has been accepted to A&M for her PhD program and I interviewed at UTMB back in September. It is a 2.5 hour drive from college station to Galveston, but I prematched at SHSU-COM which is only an hour from college station and I am not sure how I should rank these.

I was hoping to get some insight from current students about how much of the first year is virtual and how often you have to go in-person. I remember during interview day that someone mentioned that all the classes were streamed and recorded even Pre-COVID. Is this true? How often do you have to go in for Anatomy lab? Can you pref. 3rd and 4th year rotations in areas outside of Galveston (like would it be possible for me to have rotations in the direction of college station)?
I'm not a current student, but my neighbor from childhood is. He said first and second year are really on-campus intensive years. Third and fourth you can rotate away from UTMB, but the only options he knew of were in Houston.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

@Neon-turtle98 I recommend that you plan & decide as if you need to be in Galveston. It's important to do the small group things, anatomy, learning physical exam skills, and be a part of the class.
As much as instruction has become remote this year, I feel that med school is not a do-it-yourself project that can be successfully achieved fully in isolation.
3rd and 4th year away rotations are mainly in Houston and Tyler, some of them for core rotations like psychiatry and internal medicine, but you can't do all your rotations away from Galveston.

If being in more frequent contact with your wife is important, that could sway you to choose your Houston area option. If you choose Galveston, could she come join you most weekends?

Lots of things to consider & the two of you can discuss what will work for you.

Reactions: 3 users
@Neon-turtle98 I recommend that you plan & decide as if you need to be in Galveston. It's important to do the small group things, anatomy, learning physical exam skills, and be a part of the class.
As much as instruction has become remote this year, I feel that med school is not a do-it-yourself project that can be successfully achieved fully in isolation.
3rd and 4th year away rotations are mainly in Houston and Tyler, some of them for core rotations like psychiatry and internal medicine, but you can't do all your rotations away from Galveston.

If being in more frequent contact with your wife is important, that could sway you to choose your Houston area option. If you choose Galveston, could she come join you most weekends?

Lots of things to consider & the two of you can discuss what will work for you.
I didn't know some rotations were in Tyler! My family is from the Tyler area (Athens) and now I need to give even additional thought to my ranking list! Being an additional hour from my husband might be worth it to sometimes get to see my mom too. How common are Tyler rotations?

I didn't know some rotations were in Tyler! My family is from the Tyler area (Athens) and now I need to give even additional thought to my ranking list! Being an additional hour from my husband might be worth it to sometimes get to see my mom too. How common are Tyler rotations?
Based on the info given to us during a townhall, you can do your whole 3rd year clinical rotations at Tyler. They even have UTMB housing for only students at Tyler! I’m not sure how 4th year works, but I know you can opt to do all of 3rd year there and would have to return for FOSCE/ICEE. There’s a form you have to fill out and not every student will apply, but if you indicate you have family around there, I believe you will become priority for the Tyler site. I attached a 3rd year clinical rotations ppt that goes into detail. Also included 4th yr stuff if interested.

Attachments

• Y3SchedulingPPT.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • Y4Scheduling.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Might be a dumb question, but does anyone know the difference between resident tuition and designated tuition? I’m a little confused regarding the tuition subsection tags on the website? How much is the actual tuition per year?

Might be a dumb question, but does anyone know the difference between resident tuition and designated tuition? I’m a little confused regarding the tuition subsection tags on the website? How much is the actual tuition per year?
If I understand it correctly, Resident tuition is set by the state and Designated tuition is set by the institution.

If i was you i will rank UTMB 1, SHSU-COM is a new school, tuition is much higher (SHSU-COM doesn't get funding from state). Galveston is a much better town than Sam Houston. Now schools have more virtues classes, so your wife can join you in Galveston. Take care

I'm not a current student, but my neighbor from childhood is. He said first and second year are really on-campus intensive years. Third and fourth you can rotate away from UTMB, but the only options he knew of were in Houston.

Would like to add that a lot of students do end up moving away from the island and into houston/tyler for the 3rd/4th year. At least this was what was said during the campus preview day

Does anyone know if UTMB offers feedback on applications if you plan on reapplying?

Does anyone know if UTMB offers feedback on applications if you plan on reapplying?
If you end up reapplying, watch on their Facebook page or on TMDSAS page for announcements about reapplicant workshops. Several of the TX schools will hold those in late spring.
Most schools may not give you a specific reason why you were not offered admission, but they may give you a hint generally which areas of the total application need to be stronger.

Hellllo guys, How are yall sending yalls transcripts in? via email? to who? help needed :(

I mailed all my transcripts to TMDSAS, will UTMB not have access to them?

I mailed all my transcripts to TMDSAS, will UTMB not have access to them?
They have seen them via TMDSAS, but it is also standard for the school where you will matriculate to ask for an official transcript to be sent directly from your college(s) to them.
Wait until after Match Day and if you are still in college, until your grades are final for Spring 2021 term and your transcript reflects that you have earned your degree.

I received all the MyStar info yesterday, and this morning received more. Needed to call and set up a VPN and mobile app in order to log in to the UTMB email and full MyStar access.
Was that binding? I got that info too and am so paranoid that if I check the wrong box I'll accidently commit some sort of binding action

Didn’t match. Congrats to all that did! You will be amazing doctors!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
What happens now to those of us who didn't match? If we didn't match, we just don't get any notification, right?

• Care
What happens now to those of us who didn't match? If we didn't match, we just don't get any notification, right?
They will email you later about the WL.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched! What a great program! I'm so excited to come here!

Reactions: 11 users
Matched :O so grateful and also kind of surprised how early orientation is compared to some other schools

Reactions: 5 users
Matched :O so grateful and also kind of surprised how early orientation is compared to some other schools
MATCHED TOO!!!!! OMG, I am SO thrilled. My top choice!

I was also shocked at how early orientation was. I thought I'd be chilling all of July LOL

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to those of you who matched! Orientation is early, but the first block (META) isn't intensive and is really a moment for you to get to know the island, your classmates, and all that the school has to offer. Feel free to PM if you have any questions, comments, or need the link to the FB page. :thumbup:

For those that didn't match, I'm sending all the good vibes your way! There's still some time, and will likely have movement at several schools. If I recall, last year they did accept letters of interest/intent, and so may other schools.
good vibes support GIF by Caro Martini

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users