2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II, transmitted 07/06, processed 08/04.
IS, LizzyM ~73, ORM as well.
Interview in mid September.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lizzy M 66, transmitted 6/28, mcat sent 7/22. I never received an under review e mail. So excited!

I feel like I'm never going to get an interview. so bummed

I had a 2.0 for 3 semesters, switched schools and have a 4.0 in 4 years since. My gpa is still not great because of my bad start, but I have A's in ever required course and an obvious upward trend since freshman. Do they care about this?

I had a 2.0 for 3 semesters, switched schools and have a 4.0 in 4 years since. My gpa is still not great because of my bad start, but I have A's in ever required course and an obvious upward trend since freshman. Do they care about this?
I know that will play a big role. It shows you got your stuff together. Upward trend it huge for TMDSAS especially if you have a 4.0 since. As long as your courses are somewhat rigorous.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm never going to get an interview. so bummed

You guys still have a long road ahead. I didn't get my II for UTMB until the third week of September ... very excited to be starting up at this amazing school later this month! Hang in there. You've got this.

I know that will play a big role. It shows you got your stuff together. Upward trend it huge for TMDSAS especially if you have a 4.0 since. As long as your courses are somewhat rigorous.
yeah It's all of my required courses plus lots of upper level science courses. After a point though, it's not possible to salvage a GPA any further. Ugh...

You guys still have a long road ahead. I didn't get my II for UTMB until the third week of September ... very excited to be starting up at this amazing school later this month! Hang in there. You've got this.
Thanks. When did you submit your app last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. When did you submit your app last year?

I submitted around the third week of July, and heard from UTMB about two months later regarding an interview. Other students I spoke with at my interview had submission dates all over the place; this really is a capricious process. I know that being patient is hard. Believe me, I spent more time refreshing the school-specific SDN threads--trying to make sense of it all--than I would care to admit. All that being said, if you try to read too much into the most minute differences between your application timeline and that of the students applying alongside you, you will drive yourself insane long before this marathon is over (and it is a marathon).

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got interview did you get the shorter or longer version of the under review email?

Also, the four other II's that I received all came AFTER the one from UTMB. Heh, like I said, it is a long road.

Anyone heard of any experiences where UTMB rescheduled an interview? In the email it states in bold font that they do not reschedule interviews.

Actually I've heard the opposite, they absolutely do not, regardless. It seems very hard line

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It depends on whether you can convince them if you have a valid reason. They take this stand because they interview a lot of people and want to keep a tight schedule each week.

Saw the couple posts on the previous page about people building up anxiety over whether or not they received the long or the short version of the email. Guys, just chill!!!!

Also to people waiting for interviews - I completely understand you guys. I was in your shoes last year with my June transmission, having received Under Review email in July but I didn't get an interview here until Dec 4th. But I DID get one!!! I remember being incredibly disappointed and depressed seeing everyone else left and right of me getting interviews and I would check my inbox 4x a day to see if I received anything. Trust me, there is NO rhyme or reason to the interview invitations - I really don't think that admissions office has any particular order they sent interviews either.

Also keep in mind we are definitely on island time! Us MS1s just recently got our Orientation materials and things are beginning to trickle in for the Welcome Weekend, etc. I doubted myself last year but we are definitely a laid back institution (not too laid back haha) and this atmosphere is evident in the faculty and administration on campus. Everyone really cares about you and makes you feel most welcome. UTMB made its impression on me ever since I visited the school during their annual Pre-Med Symposiums. There and then I knew this would be my top choice for medical school and thankfully, I have the utmost privilege and honor to study medicine here.

So to wrap up, continue to enjoy whatever summer you've got left. Definitely don't take interviews lightly and don't worry about invitations. They will come!! You have made it this far so congratulate yourselves on achieving this milestone - trust me it really is a huge accomplishment going through the rigors of pre-med college then taking the MCAT and having the profile to apply to medical school.

All the best future docs!

Reactions: 8 users
So what does it mean if I got 2 confirmation emails?

Just went to my UTMB interview yesterday. 100% Casual. I went in shorts and a t-shirt, as did most people, including the current medical students. There were a few people in khaki's or a blazer but it's Galveston and they were immediately drenched in sweat/humidity, definitely the minority.

Just went to my UTMB interview yesterday. 100% Casual. I went in shorts and a t-shirt, as did most people, including the current medical students. There were a few people in khaki's or a blazer but it's Galveston and they were immediately drenched in sweat/humidity, definitely the minority.
How was the interview day? Specifically the style of the interviews?

When I went to the premed conference they said black suit, very little exceptions. This wasn't the case?

Oh sorry, yeah referring to the social the night before.

Interviews were typical 30-minute open-file interviews. Extremely conversational. UTMB interviewers have your complete file, except for your GPA & MCAT. One of the ADCOM directors said something about wanting the interviewers to focus on you as a person.

Oh sorry, yeah referring to the social the night before.

Interviews were typical 30-minute open-file interviews. Extremely conversational. UTMB interviewers have your complete file, except for your GPA & MCAT. One of the ADCOM directors said something about wanting the interviewers to focus on you as a person.
Thanks for the info! How did you prepare for your interview?

For all those stressing about when you sent in your app, whether or not you're under review yet, whether or not you've received an II yet:
I was taking with the assistant dean of admissions yesterday after class about how things are going with interview season, and he told me they have already received over 7,000 applications (much more than most years) so they've barely processed half of these. They're a bit overwhelmed with how many applications they've received this year so it's going to take them a bit longer to review apps and send out II. so be patient! They haven't forgotten about you :p
Thank you, this was bittersweet to hear :*). 7,000 potential students for a few hundred seats....

I have been under review since July 25th but haven't heard back. Could I still be under consideration? Or it's been too long?

Thanks for the info! How did you prepare for your interview?

UTMB is very very chill when it comes to interviews. Just go through your app and make sure you can talk about all the stuff mentioned. Both mine were like that, very much like a conversation, things just flowed from one to another very naturally. Just relax and be yourself! I may have asked the "how do you prepare for interviews" question to all the UTMB med students and that was the advice mentioned every time: be yourself.

Finally got that sweet sweet confirmation email. I'm on my way haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For all those stressing about when you sent in your app, whether or not you're under review yet, whether or not you've received an II yet:
I was taking with the assistant dean of admissions yesterday after class about how things are going with interview season, and he told me they have already received over 7,000 applications (much more than most years) so they've barely processed half of these. They're a bit overwhelmed with how many applications they've received this year so it's going to take them a bit longer to review apps and send out II. so be patient! They haven't forgotten about you :p

Are you sure? Last year was just over 4000, so I'm surprised that it would jump over 3,000 applicants. That doesn't really make much sense.

Also: not pointing fingers, but when I was looking at these threads last year, people would make posts that would just make people more neurotic. I understand that more people apply each year, but considering that UTHouston said that they had maybe 2 or 300 more apps this year, and I would assume both schools would have around the same number of applicants, this just seems like something to stir the pot. Of course I could be wrong, so I'll probably call and see, because then I won't hold my breath for an interview in August if there are that many.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know why UTMB has more of a high GPA/lowerish Mcat thing? I know that's not true for all cases, but the lady I spoke to said their average GPA was around 3.8-3.9 and their average MCAT was 29-30. Their average gpa is something I would expect for Baylor/UTSW (not the UTMB isn't fantastic haha).

yea im wondering if thats why i dont have an interview b/c i have high mcat avg gpa