2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now! Completed 7/24

Sent from my HTC 10 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not received their secondary? USC sends one to everyone right? I got verified on 7/25 and have not heard anything from them. It is annoying since their secondary is one of the few I pre-wrote haha

Has anyone not received their secondary? USC sends one to everyone right? I got verified on 7/25 and have not heard anything from them. It is annoying since their secondary is one of the few I pre-wrote haha
Everyone gets one so its just a matter of time. Keep calm and until then pre-write other secondaries!

Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.

for this question can i write about a scholarship/award i applied for but didnt recieve?

@medbunny56 Sounds good, but I am also just an applicant. It seems like their intention is to understand how you deal with rejection so be sure to work that into the essay.

Reactions: 1 user
For people who got an interview invite (II?) what program are you applying (MD, MD/PhD etc.)?

Submitted this two weeks ago and reread it today....

My god what was I thinking with that nickname...

Reactions: 13 users

This is why I never look at my essays after I submit. Unless I'm going to an interview, then I suppose I'll give it a quick glance

Pretty sure most of us felt that way. I can imagine they are used to receiving some weird stuff with that question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected post-secondary Lizzy M 65-67 IS. :(

Waiting for interviews has been tortuous. I'm not sure if I will get any. Only 1 DO interview so far, no MD. On hold at about 4 OOS schools, possible VCU interview but not sure. Non trad with 10+ years ECs in clinical context and research. I'm starting to feel really down about my chances as a California applicant with my stats. :(

Waiting for interviews has been tortuous. I'm not sure if I will get any. Only 1 DO interview so far, no MD. On hold at about 4 OOS schools, possible VCU interview but not sure. Non trad with 10+ years ECs in clinical context and research. I'm starting to feel really down about my chances as a California applicant with my stats. :(

Keep your chin up! There are many applicants out there without single interview. Yes, applying as a Californian and wanting to stay in California is hard :(, but we can't do anything about it. Being on hold doesn't mean anything bad, it just means that the AdComs will revisit your application from time to time to reconsider your application.

Reactions: 1 users

Sorry to hear. Still early in the game! If you don't mind sharing, when were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ugh what, just got a rejection as well. I didn't know rejections came out this early. I feel like I just got the wind knocked out of me :(

Reapplicant; interviewed here last year, rejected just now. Bummer.

Sorry to hear about those rejected :( there's still plenty of time!

Sorry to all of you who have received bad news. Don't worry, you all will get opportunities to showcase your amazing attributes elsewhere.... Just wondering, was this an email rejection or a change to your portal?

+1 on the rejection train. Was a long shot for me though! Best of luck to those still in the running.

Oh, and yes, it was an email. Complete early July.

+1 on the rejection train. Was a long shot for me though! Best of luck to those still in the running.

Oh, and yes, it was an email. Complete early July.

+2 for rejection. I knew this school was a reach for me so I am trying to stay positive. They seem to place great emphasis on the MCAT (more so than many other schools). I am below a 31 MCAT, which is their accepted student 10th percentile (crazy, right?). Good luck to everyone as I depart from this thread!

And now my heart is racing... bracing myself for the wave.

+1 rejected. IS, LM 69, Complete 6/28

Holding my breath like Nathan Adrian during the men's 50-meter freestyle final!

Reactions: 4 users
Hm I guess I survived the waive of rejections for now. Just more silence - complete 7/5.

Keep your chin up! There are many applicants out there without single interview. Yes, applying as a Californian and wanting to stay in California is hard :(, but we can't do anything about it. Being on hold doesn't mean anything bad, it just means that the AdComs will revisit your application from time to time to reconsider your application.
Thanks so much! This was very uplifting. Today was a meh day. It's a new day tomorrow. Good luck with this school!!! Rooting for yah.

Yep. Complete 6/27 and silence. Happy to have not been rejected yet..keeping fingers crossed. This is a dream school for me.

Sorry to hear of all the rejections.

Does anybody know if they are open to application updates? Got two publications accepted since AMCAS. Some secondaries have options to upload additional information, but I don't see anything of the sort for Keck...

EDIT: Read the FAQ (doh). Looks like they don't accept updates, but I'm leaving this here for others in case they're wondering.

Last edited:
+1 on the Rejection bus. OOS 37 MCAT and 3.85 GPA. Complete early July.

II!! Really excited about this school, I can't believe it! OOS, complete last week of June.

Reactions: 3 users
i'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone noticed that keck has on their website that they initially screen for a minimum gpa and mcat? does anyone know what those minimums are? i imagine fairly low, right?

i'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone noticed that keck has on their website that they initially screen for a minimum gpa and mcat? does anyone know what those minimums are? i imagine fairly low, right?
Not sure but I don't think any school's screens are really that stringent besides Vandy lol

we're also forgetting washu. the worst offender lol