2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

How come on MSAR, it shows that 140 in state students were accepted, but none were interviewed? Does this school skip the interview for IS students?

How come on MSAR, it shows that 140 in state students were accepted, but none were interviewed? Does this school skip the interview for IS students?
Typo. They 100% interview their students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man this place sure has a weird secondary!

Yeah I'm actually not pre-writing it because it's known to change / they're all so quick and simple (in a sense).
A couple of the short responses might change, but I'm fairly sure the "do you believe you are part of an underrepresented group in med" and the "write a sentence that is not true" questions have stayed the same through the years, if anyone wants to prewrite those.

PSA - have fun with these questions! Dean Arias told us on interview day that your primary gets you through the door, but the secondary is what lands you an interview. The questions are quirky for a reason.

A couple of the short responses might change, but I'm fairly sure the "do you believe you are part of an underrepresented group in med" and the "write a sentence that is not true" questions have stayed the same through the years, if anyone wants to prewrite those.

PSA - have fun with these questions! Dean Arias told us on interview day that your primary gets you through the door, but the secondary is what lands you an interview. The questions are quirky for a reason.
What do you think is the best way to approach these?

Ikr? I can think of so many fun ways to answer this question, but I'm not so sure if they want something that's more serious in theme.

Ikr? I can think of so many fun ways to answer this question, but I'm not so sure if they want something that's more serious in theme.
Well... if the question's asking you what's the most fun you've had lately, adcoms probably aren't looking for canned "here's the abstract of my next big study" answers (unless that was fun, I mean). Really, the best advice is to be yourself. There isn't a wrong answer, whether you're on the more serious or humorous side. Just don't write what you think they want to hear, because they'll see right through it.

If we get that one, I'm going to write about a vacation I took to a foreign country.

Right. The most fun question is easy (trips, concerts, etc.). The "write a sentence that isn't true" question is a bit trickier. I think I'm gonna write about a music related job I've always wanted, but am not able to do. Will definitely phrase it more like it's something I'd love to do in my spare time, but not something I'd want as a career.

Members don't see this ad :)

Writing the "Write a statement that is not true..." question was the most interesting to write, so I really hope that one stays.

I'm matriculating here this fall!
I wrote my "write a statement that is not true..." question about a TV show that jumped the shark and how I was disappointed in it.
Have some fun--Be a human being!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm matriculating here this fall!
I wrote my "write a statement that is not true..." question about a TV show that jumped the shark and how I was disappointed in it.
Have some fun--Be a human being!
Thanks for posting, it's good to have an accepted applicant's viewpoint!

So you didn't relate it to medicine at all? Was it 100% just humorous? Did you relate it to your EC's or hobbies or something? Any chance you can elaborate on the shark thing?

I'm just having a lot of trouble with this essay right now.

Thanks for posting, it's good to have an accepted applicant's viewpoint!

So you didn't relate it to medicine at all? Was it 100% just humorous? Did you relate it to your EC's or hobbies or something? Any chance you can elaborate on the shark thing?

I'm just having a lot of trouble with this essay right now.

It was in no way related to medicine! However it wasn't 100% humorous, there was a point in it somewhere haha. I talked about my passions and how some things work out and some don't, and how that in itself was a very poignant lesson taught to me through the show. I love books and television that make you think and form theories, like Game of Thrones -- So this was a chance to show who I was outside of academia. I really got the impression from my visit/interviews that Keck really wants people who are more than their grades and test scores!

Basically... have fun, and stay true to yourself! Someone mentioned earlier that if you write what you think they want to hear, they will see right through it.

Also Jumping the shark is a euphemism describing "the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, which is taken as a sign of desperation, and is seen by viewers to be the point at which the show strayed irretrievably from its original formula." (FROM WIKI) It originated from the television show Happy Days, where the Fonz literally jumps over a shark while waterskiing. :)

Reactions: 1 user
@DoctorWhat So did you write about Game of Thrones jumping the shark?? I know Season 5 was boring AF but I wouldn't call that jumping the shark! :p

This was by far my favorite secondary to write for. Don't write this as if you're applying for a job (i.e. don't be super serious and dull). USC writes their secondary like this because they don't like applicants who are cookie-cutter robots. They want something interesting that shows that you have some personality, that you're creative and not boring - so have fun with it!

Essay:
Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?
Yes No

Write a sentence that is not true, then tell us why you wish it were true.
Please answer the question in 200 words or less.

Have you ever previously applied to any medical school ( M.D. , D.O., international)?
Yes No

Have you ever previously applied to any medical school ( M.D. , D.O., international)?
Yes No

Short Answer:
What is the most fun you’ve had lately?

If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?

If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?

Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.

Last edited:
Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?
Yes No

Yes No

Yes No

Secondary just received.

THAT'S IT??!?!?!?

Reactions: 3 users
There's additional "short-answer" questions. Really like that it's an opportunity to showcase nonstandard stuff.

All 3-5 sentences:

1. What's the most fun you've had recently?
2. If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
3. If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
4. Describe a situation in which you feel you didn't get something you deserved.

My GPA is a bit below the average, and my MCAT is just a hair above the average, so I'm not sure that I'm going to apply. But these questions are fun, and I'm really tempted. Good luck to you all!

There's additional "short-answer" questions. Really like that it's an opportunity to showcase nonstandard stuff.

All 3-5 sentences:

1. What's the most fun you've had recently?
2. If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
3. If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
4. Describe a situation in which you feel you didn't get something you deserved.

My GPA is a bit below the average, and my MCAT is just a hair above the average, so I'm not sure that I'm going to apply. But these questions are fun, and I'm really tempted.
This makes a lot more sense hahaha. Otherwise it would have been way too short.

Ahah these questions totally made me fall in love with this school
Kinda reminds me of the U Chicago undergrad prompts if anyone remembers those

So excited for this secondary and this school!

The website states "do not send more than 3 letters of rec". Is there any way to remove a letter if I accidentally sent 4 instead, or will they just ignore 1?

The website states "do not send more than 3 letters of rec". Is there any way to remove a letter if I accidentally sent 4 instead, or will they just ignore 1?
Nah, unfortunately no way to remove it. I know some schools with a strict requirement say that they will just choose 3 at random and read those. Idk about USC specifically though. Maybe you can call and tell them which one not to read?

I just realized I did the same exact thing.. whoops.

Nah, unfortunately no way to remove it. I know some schools with a strict requirement say that they will just choose 3 at random and read those. Idk about USC specifically though. Maybe you can call and tell them which one not to read?
I just gave them a call. They said there's no way to remove it, however the adcoms will just read 3 out of the 4 letters. I suppose that works...

what about the picture? does it have to be professional or can it be a fun one? i have a nice portrait picture of me on a nice hike.

also for letters of rec, what's suggested? 1 academic, 1 pi, 1 work-related?

GOOD LUCK!

Do they want silly/quirky answers for all of it, or just the 3-5 sentences ones?

what about the picture? does it have to be professional or can it be a fun one? i have a nice portrait picture of me on a nice hike.

also for letters of rec, what's suggested? 1 academic, 1 pi, 1 work-related?

GOOD LUCK!
The website doesn't specify other than preferably 2 academic iirc

The website doesn't specify other than preferably 2 academic iirc

"Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable."

I don't understand how to interpret it.. like I have 3 academic letters, but prefer to just use 1 academic, 1 PI, and 1 work experience to bring depth of my character and qualifications...

Has anyone who is verified not gotten the secondary yet? I haven't and now I'm sad.

"Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable."

I don't understand how to interpret it.. like I have 3 academic letters, but prefer to just use 1 academic, 1 PI, and 1 work experience to bring depth of my character and qualifications...
I'd say just pick the letters from those that know you best. Given their odd secondary questions, it may seem like they are willing to take up interesting approaches to things.

Essay:
Yes No

Yes No

Yes No

Short Answer:
What is the most fun you’ve had lately?

If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?

If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?

Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.

FYI, the mistake in asking about previous applications twice has been resolved. It now says "Optional: Is there anything else you would like us to know."

Anyone know if we should fill this out...

Got the secondary yesterday afternoon! USC is one of my top choices. Love this secondary and am excited to write it. But man i do NOT know what to say for the nickname question!

I loved this secondary! They got really tricky with the new short answer question, though.

are y'all worried about coming off the wrong way while answering the last questions "describe a situation where you didn't get something you thought you deserved?"
I can think of two off the top of my head but I don't want to come off as someone who makes excuses :/

are y'all worried about coming off the wrong way while answering the last questions "describe a situation where you didn't get something you thought you deserved?"
I can think of two off the top of my head but I don't want to come off as someone who makes excuses :/
Yes, I think it is a great way to screen out entitled applicants.

I submitted 1 academic, 1 work, 1 PI. It clearly says "or" so it's fair game. Submit your 3 strongest letters.

what about photo upload? professional to be safe or just a nice clear single portrait taken somewhere nice?