2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are people really writing some not 100% serious answers to the short answer part? I am thinking about writing the thing I thought I deserved one about the time my grandma sent me and my brother a cake and he ate the entire thing without saving me a piece lol
I wrote about being on my favorite television show... so yes, I hope other's aren't doing 100% serious answers lol

Members don't see this ad.

Are people really writing some not 100% serious answers to the short answer part? I am thinking about writing the thing I thought I deserved one about the time my grandma sent me and my brother a cake and he ate the entire thing without saving me a piece lol
I wrote about being on my favorite television show... so yes, I hope other's aren't doing 100% serious answers lol
I wrote about broken promises and what it taught me about myself... Actually looking back, I think I used serious answers for all of it :confused:

I wrote about broken promises and what it taught me about myself... Actually looking back, I think I used serious answers for all of it :confused:
I did serious answers too, nothing wrong with that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did serious answers too, nothing wrong with that!
I was just concerned that I might get a reviewer who would expect applicants to take the prompts seriously. Either way, they were definitely one of the more interesting prompts that I had to respond to.

All of my answers were serious except the thing I deserved one. I couldn't figure out a really serious answer that didn't sound like whining.

Edit: also my "nonserious" cake answer wrapped into a point about patience and my family support system, so it wasn't as if I just literally wrote a joke.

I was just concerned that I might get a reviewer who would expect applicants to take the prompts seriously. Either way, they were definitely one of the more interesting prompts that I had to respond to.
I mean talking about something "silly" can still be taking the prompt very seriously. Either way, the best answer is a substantial answer that's well written.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary submitted! This is my dream school.

So I already submitted Keck awhile back and I didn't list my alumni relations to the school (I didn't think it would have any bearing, and I'm still not sure if it does). My question is should I update them with this information, or should I just leave it be? I personally thought alumni relations were for information purposes only but I've been hearing some schools look favorably upon them.

@sidskool I took the "anything else you wish to tell us" section to talk about my alumni ties to the school. USC (whether undergrad or grad) promotes a robust and cohesive subculture amongst the Trojan community, so I think talking about the school and what it means to you personally could serve you well in the long run. Just my 2 cents

Secondary in........not from Cali, but hopefully my stats pull through for me.

@sidskool I took the "anything else you wish to tell us" section to talk about my alumni ties to the school. USC (whether undergrad or grad) promotes a robust and cohesive subculture amongst the Trojan community, so I think talking about the school and what it means to you personally could serve you well in the long run. Just my 2 cents

Is there a character limit for this section?

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!! So excited!!!! submitted my secondary 7/9/16.

Reactions: 3 users
Trying really hard not to be really sad right now and failing :( I submitted my secondary 6/27, LizzyM ~75, and no word. I love USC and was really really hoping for an II. Does anyone know if early submission --> no early II means I'm dead in the water?

I was complete on 6/27 too and I haven't heard anything, but keep your chin up! I'm reminding myself that this is a long process!

Reactions: 1 user
Trying really hard not to be really sad right now and failing :( I submitted my secondary 6/27, LizzyM ~75, and no word. I love USC and was really really hoping for an II. Does anyone know if early submission --> no early II means I'm dead in the water?
don't stress out too much! my lizzyM's at 74.3. i'm sure they have a ton more II's to send out in periodic waves.

People within the same level (stats-wise) are compared to one another.

Goodness I hope this is not true! I feel like everyone else in my stat range (LizzyM ~78) is far more impressive than I am. Uh oh.

Edit: I was complete on 6/30, no II yet either! Holding out hope :)

Congrats!! Mind posting LizzyM?

Thanks! LizzyM of ~72-73.

Just be patient and positive everyone! The day is still early (Pacific time at least)! You could be getting IIs at any moment!

It is way too early to be worried at this point! I doubt almost anyone has received a rejection from almost any school yet, unless they applied EDP or were <3.0/26

It is way too early to be worried at this point! I doubt almost anyone has received a rejection from almost any school yet, unless they applied EDP or were <3.0/26
UChicago rejected couple mid70's LizzyM's lol.

Also keck y u no love me

I think there's only one reviewer, Dr. Arias, at least that's how it was this past year. She was the one who wanted to change up the secondary to something less traditional because she hated reading the same answers over and over. So based on that you'll definitely be fine either way.

Sent from my SM-G928T using SDN mobile

I think there's only one reviewer, Dr. Arias, at least that's how it was this past year. She was the one who wanted to change up the secondary to something less traditional because she hated reading the same answers over and over. So based on that you'll definitely be fine either way.

Ah, well, in that case...
4685849-7812255889-doome.jpg

Woah. I find it hard to believe that they only have one person reading all the applications. I recall reading a aamc article in last years thread (dead link now) that mention that each reviewer at Keck reads one set of MCAT scores. e.g. one person reads all the 31s, another reads all the 35s.

Woah. I find it hard to believe that they only have one person reading all the applications. I recall reading a aamc article in last years thread (dead link now) that mention that each reviewer at Keck reads one set of MCAT scores. e.g. one person reads all the 31s, another reads all the 35s.
Im pretty sure Dr arias told us during our interview last year that she read them all and solely decided who got interviews, after that point the admissions committee made the actual acceptance decisions and she didn't play a part in that. I thought it was pretty crazy that she read them all.

Im pretty sure Dr arias told us during our interview last year that she read them all and solely decided who got interviews, after that point the admissions committee made the actual acceptance decisions and she didn't play a part in that. I thought it was pretty crazy that she read them all.

Wow! That's a ton of applications considering the MSAR lists USC as receiving 8K+ applications.

Is there anyone who got an II who didn't have their letters in?

1. Log into secondary portal
2. Read short answer questions
3. Log out
4. come post here

The website says: "Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable." So no letters from volunteering experiences right? It really sucks because one of my volunteering letters is my strongest.

The website says: "Alternatively, 2 or 3 letters from professors, PI’s or work experience are acceptable." So no letters from volunteering experiences right? It really sucks because one of my volunteering letters is my strongest.
I included one from my mentor for research (unpaid). interpreted the PI part as research related letters were okay.

I chose a volunteering LOR over my PI due to way more depth in experience and a strong leadership role. I submitted my secondary June, but it waits to be seen how that decision will ultimately affect me.

I included one from my mentor for research (unpaid). interpreted the PI part as research related letters were okay.
I'm sure this is fine. That's what I did at least.

I chose a volunteering LOR over my PI due to way more depth in experience and a strong leadership role. I submitted my secondary June, but it waits to be seen how that decision will ultimately affect me.

I'm worried about this too. A friend who is matriculating there in a couple of weeks suggested that I submit my volunteering LOR over a research LOR, but now I'm not so sure...

For those of you who have received IIs, what type of letters did you submit? TIA

I went for the combo letters (no volunteering). Like Research/instructor. All in all I submitted 2 that were professors who taught me, 2 that I did research with, and 1 I did another activity with (lots of overlap).

5 letters? I thought Keck only accepts 3 letters max...