2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called and they said they're meeting next week and sending acceptances and rejections (which I didn't even realize they did send rejections).

Thanks for the additional info. I swear I called today and they said they were not meeting until May. I honestly think that the people who pick up the phones just don't always know. I wish they would just say that instead of guessing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. Don't know when the committee met or how it happened but I just got the call. I'm accepted. Mind you I got the alternate list email earlier this week.

Dream come true ! Go Canes

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Don't know when the committee met or how it happened but I just got the call. I'm accepted. Mind you I got the alternate list email earlier this week.

+1!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hypothetically speaking, what are all the steps you need to take to officially commit here?

+1!

Hey all,

Accepted applicant here - (interviewed October 2016, accepted November).

So second look was last week, and there were about 200 admitted students there. So I believe that as of now, the class is full.

That being said, I talked with many prospective students, and many of them (myself included) are considering other schools/on the waitlist for schools they would attend over UM. I, too, am hoping to get off the waitlist for another school, but if I don't get in, I'll plan on attending UM. So definitely don't give up hope - I'm sure there will be a decent amount of spots that open up after April 30th.

Best of luck to everyone, and let me know if you have any questions!

Hey all,

Accepted applicant here - (interviewed October 2016, accepted November).

So second look was last week, and there were about 200 admitted students there. So I believe that as of now, the class is full.

That being said, I talked with many prospective students, and many of them (myself included) are considering other schools/on the waitlist for schools they would attend over UM. I, too, am hoping to get off the waitlist for another school, but if I don't get in, I'll plan on attending UM. So definitely don't give up hope - I'm sure there will be a decent amount of spots that open up after April 30th.

Best of luck to everyone, and let me know if you have any questions!
So what I don't understand is this: last year they accepted 320+ according to Us News. If there were 200 ppl at second look does that mean 100 spots will open up? Feels unlikely but I don't know that much about how this works

Members don't see this ad :)
So what I don't understand is this: last year they accepted 320+ according to Us News. If there were 200 ppl at second look does that mean 100 spots will open up? Feels unlikely but I don't know that much about how this works

Remember that not everyone who has been accepted attended second look. From what I understand, ~320 students are offered acceptance at some point. So, if we assumed that they've only offered 200 acceptances so far, then yes I think you're right that they "should" offer ~120 more as people start to decline acceptances. It's all based on how many accepted students decide to decline their acceptance though, and of course that can vary from year to year. I imagine at this point they will wait until these spots actually open up before they offer more acceptances. That's how I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would use the FB members as a better number of acceptances granted ..

I would use the FB members as a better number of acceptances granted ..
Hard to use that as a gauge... but currently there are 223 members, at least 10 of which are second years (if that helps). Traffic day is coming up!

Hard to use that as a gauge... but currently there are 223 members, at least 10 of which are second years (if that helps). Traffic day is coming up!
I thought the class size was only 150 students

Just because the class size is 200 or 150 doesn't mean they don't accept more than that, they have to accept more because not everyone will accept their acceptance !!!!!
Lol yeah I know that I just thought the Facebook group was only for the being who were actually going to accept their acceptance

Not sure there's any point, I think everyone's gonna be sitting tight until May

Seems like this might be the case, though looking at last year's thread it seems like they did give out some acceptances around this time.

I'd call and ask but I feel like I've called too many times at this point lol

Called earlier, Told no Adcom meeting timeline, Just wait for any communication from us whether that be a phone call, email or snail mail - i ran out of guts to ask more!

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah patience is deff a virtue but I just wish we knew how many people were left on the alternate list lol, but only time will tell, hopefully it'll work out for all of us

Spoke to a friend of mine that is a 3rd year at Miller.

Apparently 14 people in the MD class of 2017 didn't match.... That is nearly 10% of the class.

What the hell?

The more I discover about this school... The more I think I am better off elsewhere.

Apparently 14 people in the MD class of 2017 didn't match.... That is nearly 10% of the class.

What the hell?

The more I discover about this school... The more I think I am better off elsewhere.

Yeah but...2017 match list looks pretty nice to me... 2017 Match Day Results - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Do you know if that was pre/post SOAP (not that soaping is a good thing), if any of those people were taking research years?
Just wondering. I don't know that much about match statistics (and I have heard they can be misleading) but that does seem high to me.

By all means though, give up your acceptance so I can get off the waitlist :p

I added them up. 188 total....

Looks like a jerk and troll. He asked a question with first post. gcuddles tried his best to answer and then came back with his second that ignored the theme of the answer.
His "friend" surely can answer all the normal med school candidate questions like PIR???? that arise naturally after the interview...

What the hell?

Can any current students comment on whether this statement is true? Seems like a lot to me.

There were 189 matches, and fewer than 200 students, so the number 14 can't possibly be right. Troll.

What the hell?

There were 189 matches, and fewer than 200 students, so the number 14 can't possibly be right. Troll.

Even if this were the case I would implore the person who originally stated this to ask if that has to do with the school or the individuals themselves considering their extremely strong match list...189 others seemed to get it right

Status changed to "A final decision has been reached . . . " earlier this morning. Anybody else?

Got the acceptance call today! So incredibly excited to be a part of the class here :soexcited:

For those looking to map out timeline in the future:
Secondary complete 9/26, II 2/23, Int date 3/3, waitlist 4/10, acceptance 4/24 via call & then email around noon

Reactions: 4 users
Got the acceptance call today! So incredibly excited to be a part of the class here :soexcited:

For those looking to map out timeline in the future:
Secondary complete 9/26, II 2/23, Int date 3/3, waitlist 4/10, acceptance 4/24 via call & then email around noon

Do you mind sharing your stats? MCAT if you may....?
Congratulations! Celebrate!

Do you mind sharing your stats? MCAT if you may....?
Congratulations! Celebrate!

LizzyM >70, but I have a very non-trad background & I know gpa/mcat only play a small part of the application grading here so take that vague figure with a grain of salt..

Got the call today. Feels surreal. Won't believe it until I get the official letter haha.

Reactions: 5 users
I also just got the call today! Will definitely be a member of the MD/MPH Class of 2021! I've been waiting for this since I interviewed way back in January, as it has been my top choice for a whillleeeeee!!!! Soooo excited

Reactions: 7 users
I got the call too!! How do we join the Facebook group ?!

Reactions: 3 users
You join the Facebook group by PM-ing me. I will verify you're on a list of accepted students.

About the match. Keep in mind a lot of the people who "don't match" are trying to get into the most competitive specialties. They end up having to take a research year, which is pretty common in those fields. Also, the question to ask is, Are 14 people not matching at all, or do they match during scramble? Our school has a very supportive process that jumps into place within minutes of you not matching on your first try.

Additionally, 200 people were at second look. Please keep in mind that includes families/guests. While the class may be full, people always drop when the April 30th deadline comes. People are already dropping in anticipation of it.

I also just got the call today! Will definitely be a member of the MD/MPH Class of 2021! I've been waiting for this since I interviewed way back in January, as it has been my top choice for a whillleeeeee!!!! Soooo excited
Ayyy welcome to the squad

I was accepted today into the MD/MPH program. Still can't believe this is happening! This has always been my dream school.

Withdrew after much deliberation, great school!

Good Luck guys, hope one of you get my spot.

Reactions: 1 users