2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just got the call today! Will definitely be a member of the MD/MPH Class of 2021! I've been waiting for this since I interviewed way back in January, as it has been my top choice for a whillleeeeee!!!! Soooo excited
I was accepted today into the MD/MPH program. Still can't believe this is happening! This has always been my dream school.

Congrats guys! Finishing up my first year in the dual degree. Let me know if you have any questions about the program, any to-do's before school starts, or whatever else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I felt like the only thing that Miami Miller was "missing" was a simulation center and/or a Harvey mannequin. How do students at Miami Miller practice listening to different heart murmurs, and where it is best to listen for them on a physical exam? Also, how do students practice intubation and IV placement? I heard that for IV placement that students practice on each other? How true is this? I seriously was considering going somewhere else because of this. I had a lot of surgeries when I was younger and because of this, I have a huge problem with needles going into me since I was prodded so much at a young age. I also have terrible veins. How do I get around this and practice IV placement without getting poked?
Can anyone comment on this? Current students?

Hey everyone,
I felt like the only thing that Miami Miller was "missing" was a simulation center and/or a Harvey mannequin. How do students at Miami Miller practice listening to different heart murmurs, and where it is best to listen for them on a physical exam? Also, how do students practice intubation and IV placement? I heard that for IV placement that students practice on each other? How true is this? I seriously was considering going somewhere else because of this. I had a lot of surgeries when I was younger and because of this, I have a huge problem with needles going into me since I was prodded so much at a young age. I also have terrible veins. How do I get around this and practice IV placement without getting poked?

I visited the sim center on the tour & it looks really cool, pretty sure it was fully stocked with mannequins too?

Please, if this is a major roadblock you can practice drawing labs/IVs on me and other students. I'm sure you can get a pass without getting stuck yourself if this is a problem. Just take a breath & don't let this be a make or break kind of issue, we got your back ;)

Hey everyone,
Miami literally INVENTED Harvey. We have him. And we practice IV/Intubation on dummies, not on each other.

Reactions: 6 users
I visited the sim center on the tour & it looks really cool, pretty sure it was fully stocked with mannequins too?

Please, if this is a major roadblock you can practice drawing labs/IVs on me and other students. I'm sure you can get a pass without getting stuck yourself if this is a problem. Just take a breath & don't let this be a make or break kind of issue, we got your back ;)

Miami literally INVENTED Harvey. We have him. And we practice IV/Intubation on dummies, not on each other.

Thank you! I didn't know that Miami had a sim center. Their is nothing online about it, and I didn't get to see it on my tour. When I asked one of the students about practicing IVs, he said they practice on each other. That's why I was asking, to see how true (or not true) this was. Thank you both for clarifying! Sorry for my ignorance.

Question for current students-what aspects about the school do you dislike most or wish you knew more about? For example, would it be the lack of a pass/fail system? The curriculum schedule? Any insight or opinions would be very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wondering if the MD students and the MD/MPH students have any interaction? Also, where do the MD/MPH students live years three and four?

Hey Everyone,
I filled out the scholarship form about 2 weeks ago (I was accepted late in the cycle) and was wondering when I might here or if they are still giving out scholarships?

So I was accepted by phone and then email on Wednesday (so excited!!!!). In the email, it says offer isn't final until I send back the letter they are going to send me through mail (still haven't received it because snail mail ). I did speak to admissions and they said it was fine if I just replied to the email saying I accepted the offer.

However, in the email there is no link to pay the deposit or anything as such. So my concern is that if I email the school I'm currently accepted at that I'm withdrawing,how "guaranteed" is my acceptance at UM?

Anyone in the same boat?

So I was accepted by phone and then email on Wednesday (so excited!!!!). In the email, it says offer isn't final until I send back the letter they are going to send me through mail (still haven't received it because snail mail ). I did speak to admissions and they said it was fine if I just replied to the email saying I accepted the offer.

However, in the email there is no link to pay the deposit or anything as such. So my concern is that if I email the school I'm currently accepted at that I'm withdrawing,how "guaranteed" is my acceptance at UM?

Anyone in the same boat?

The acceptance is guaranteed once you've replied to Miami saying you accept the offer (within the time frame of 1 week). They'll ask you to pay the $100 deposit via email to set up your CaneLink account that should get to you in a few days. To honor traffic rules, you need to withdraw from the other school. I would just save all email correspondence and timestamps, but trust me it won't be an issue. This is going on every day all over the country, schools know and are used to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UM allows away rotation to other med schools during fourth year? If so, does this extend to med schools across the country that are part of LCME or just regional FL schools?

Hey everyone,

Yea, no. We practice IV/intubations/heart sounds, breath sounds, on dummies. The sim center is extremely new and well equipped. I'm surprised they didn't show it to you; it's in the same building as the gym if they showed you guys that. As far as us practicing on each other, it's true that we've drawn blood on each other but it's completely voluntary.

Does anyone know if UM allows away rotation to other med schools during fourth year? If so, does this extend to med schools across the country that are part of LCME or just regional FL schools?

Wherever you want to go domestically. There are opportunities to go abroad but I don't know the specifics on that.

Question for current students-what aspects about the school do you dislike most or wish you knew more about? For example, would it be the lack of a pass/fail system? The curriculum schedule? Any insight or opinions would be very helpful

Just wondering if the MD students and the MD/MPH students have any interaction? Also, where do the MD/MPH students live years three and four?

The response I've accumulated of over months of being asked similar questions haha:

The atmosphere at Miller is very collaborative; people here tend to be relatively friendly and laid back; it's hard to be a dick in such nice weather haha..we share a lot of resources with each other through our facebook group. Also, I haven't met one faculty member yet who didn't care about their job or the students.

There are so many opportunities for shadowing, volunteering, research, etc. For instance if you wanted to shadow trauma surgery, you have the ability to just walk in so long as you're credentialed. In terms of MD/MPH rotations, you do your 3rd year at West Palm Beach and can either stay there 4th year or come back down to Miami. The reality is, attending/resident-to-medstudent ratio is much better at the regional campus but you get a good training either way.

As far as any negatives, it's really just been a lot of logistical things that could be improved on as far class/session scheduling but once again, I'm not sure how the MD's feel about their experience. Otherwise, I'm content with the program. No program is perfect.

As far as interactions between the two cohorts, there are so many opportunities to get out there. We host health fairs almost every month and you meet people there. We also volunteer at free health clinics. All ~200 of us are divided into societies where they put together md and md/mph students. In these groups we do random doctoring skills things or whatever else. Socially, I'd say we get along pretty well and do cross-over from time to time. There are intramural sports/activities. At least one my classmates lives with an MD. It will definitely feel like a divide only because you don't see each other a lot on a daily basis but it's not negative. Personally, I like being in the smaller cohort.

I think being in such an urban, underserved environment plays a very strong role in the quality of education that we receive here. You have to opportunity to interact and learn from some of the sickest patients across many different cultures in addition to being exposed to people across a wide socioeconomic range. People travel from all over (including the Carribean) to come to Jackson Memorial Hospital, UMiami Hospital, and the VA. At Miller, they really teach you how to incorporate all of these influences in your practice to make you a more conscious physician...

This is what one of my classmates on the MD-side said a couple months ago:

"What I love about Miami (The city): In short it's one of the most vibrant cities in the US. There's always things going on (concerts, sports, etc) and the number of avenues to blow off steam is crazy. Aside from the beach (a whooping 15 minute drive from UM's campus) there are tons of awesome restaurants and bars and some people in have parents with boats too. Most med students live in brickell, which means you can take the train directly from where live to the medical campus...A traffic free commute in ~15 minutes!

What I love about Miller: The clinical setup is second to none, period. You have Jackson, one of the biggest hospitals in the nation 20 feet from the med school building. It's a 1500 bed county hospital with an insane level 1 trauma center...its so crazy that they actually train military trauma surgeons there before deploying them to Iraq/Afghanistan. I wandered into the Jackson ER a couple days ago as a 1st year med student with 0 clinical skills and was able to do basic physical exams, take histories, and talk with attendings about how they work up various complaints. Thats really not something possible at many medical schools. Theres also a million specialty hospitals and clinics on the med campus (Miami transplant institute, sylvester cancer center, Bascom Palmer eye institute, etc) along with the VA and the private UM hospital. So basically any kind of medicine under the sun that you're interested in is being practiced within walking distance of the med school building.

What I'd change: I'm not a huge fan of UM's technology service. Its sort of cobbled together out of a bunch of older systems and doesn't integrate very well. That said while its annoying that our schedule, powerpoints, and lecture recordings are on different websites it's not THAT big a deal lol. Worst thats ever happened is we had to wait an extra day to get our grades back on an exam or lecture videos delayed getting uploaded. Also the med building itself is kinda old and jenky but theyre building a new one soon, which will be beautiful."

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on the grading system? Internal rankings within the pass/fail system seem to defeat the purpose of P/F and, I would imagine, promote greater competition among classmates. I'd like to hear your personal experiences with this aspect of your education at UM.

Thanks, teeayejay! All the information you give us is extremely helpful. It really is.

Hey Everyone,
I filled out the scholarship form about 2 weeks ago (I was accepted late in the cycle) and was wondering when I might here or if they are still giving out scholarships?

Per finaid all funds have already been distributed w/ funds potentially becoming available later if a scholarship holding student decides to withdraw

Hi everyone! Quick question: According to MSAR, there's typically 30-40 waitlisted applicants, and it says 30 are accepted. Is that possibly a mistake? Am I missing something, or are we truly in a good position if we're still waitlisted? I'm obviously searching for any glimmer of hope! Thanks in advance!!!

Hi everyone! Quick question: According to MSAR, there's typically 30-40 waitlisted applicants, and it says 30 are accepted. Is that possibly a mistake? Am I missing something, or are we truly in a good position if we're still waitlisted? I'm obviously searching for any glimmer of hope! Thanks in advance!!!
There is definitely still waitlist movement but it has slowed down a lot. I'd guess if you're within 5-10 of the top of the list there's hope. But UM doesn't tell you your ranking explicitly, so...

"The atmosphere at Miller is very collaborative; people here tend to be relatively friendly and laid back; it's hard to be a dick in such nice weather haha..we share a lot of resources with each other through our facebook group. Also, I haven't met one faculty member yet who didn't care about their job or the students."

That's not what I heard from current MS2 and MS1s. It's more competitive and aggressive than admission representatives lead prospective students on to believe. The quartile system makes things even worse than you would have at a pass/fail school.

"Socially, I'd say we get along pretty well and do cross-over from time to time. There are intramural sports/activities. At least one my classmates lives with an MD. It will definitely feel like a divide only because you don't see each other a lot on a daily basis but it's not negative."

They also said there is lots of animosity between the MD and MD/MPH classes.... Apparently the MPH class has a very negative opinion of the MD class... At least that was the sense I got from some of the screenshots of the private MPH facebook page that I was shown by a good friend that is a current MS1.

The response I've accumulated of over months of being asked similar questions haha:

The atmosphere at Miller is very collaborative; people here tend to be relatively friendly and laid back; it's hard to be a dick in such nice weather haha..we share a lot of resources with each other through our facebook group. Also, I haven't met one faculty member yet who didn't care about their job or the students.

There are so many opportunities for shadowing, volunteering, research, etc. For instance if you wanted to shadow trauma surgery, you have the ability to just walk in so long as you're credentialed. In terms of MD/MPH rotations, you do your 3rd year at West Palm Beach and can either stay there 4th year or come back down to Miami. The reality is, attending/resident-to-medstudent ratio is much better at the regional campus but you get a good training either way.

As far as any negatives, it's really just been a lot of logistical things that could be improved on as far class/session scheduling but once again, I'm not sure how the MD's feel about their experience. Otherwise, I'm content with the program. No program is perfect.

As far as interactions between the two cohorts, there are so many opportunities to get out there. We host health fairs almost every month and you meet people there. We also volunteer at free health clinics. All ~200 of us are divided into societies where they put together md and md/mph students. In these groups we do random doctoring skills things or whatever else. Socially, I'd say we get along pretty well and do cross-over from time to time. There are intramural sports/activities. At least one my classmates lives with an MD. It will definitely feel like a divide only because you don't see each other a lot on a daily basis but it's not negative. Personally, I like being in the smaller cohort.

I think being in such an urban, underserved environment plays a very strong role in the quality of education that we receive here. You have to opportunity to interact and learn from some of the sickest patients across many different cultures in addition to being exposed to people across a wide socioeconomic range. People travel from all over (including the Carribean) to come to Jackson Memorial Hospital, UMiami Hospital, and the VA. At Miller, they really teach you how to incorporate all of these influences in your practice to make you a more conscious physician...

This is what one of my classmates on the MD-side said a couple months ago:

"What I love about Miami (The city): In short it's one of the most vibrant cities in the US. There's always things going on (concerts, sports, etc) and the number of avenues to blow off steam is crazy. Aside from the beach (a whooping 15 minute drive from UM's campus) there are tons of awesome restaurants and bars and some people in have parents with boats too. Most med students live in brickell, which means you can take the train directly from where live to the medical campus...A traffic free commute in ~15 minutes!

What I love about Miller: The clinical setup is second to none, period. You have Jackson, one of the biggest hospitals in the nation 20 feet from the med school building. It's a 1500 bed county hospital with an insane level 1 trauma center...its so crazy that they actually train military trauma surgeons there before deploying them to Iraq/Afghanistan. I wandered into the Jackson ER a couple days ago as a 1st year med student with 0 clinical skills and was able to do basic physical exams, take histories, and talk with attendings about how they work up various complaints. Thats really not something possible at many medical schools. Theres also a million specialty hospitals and clinics on the med campus (Miami transplant institute, sylvester cancer center, Bascom Palmer eye institute, etc) along with the VA and the private UM hospital. So basically any kind of medicine under the sun that you're interested in is being practiced within walking distance of the med school building.

What I'd change: I'm not a huge fan of UM's technology service. Its sort of cobbled together out of a bunch of older systems and doesn't integrate very well. That said while its annoying that our schedule, powerpoints, and lecture recordings are on different websites it's not THAT big a deal lol. Worst thats ever happened is we had to wait an extra day to get our grades back on an exam or lecture videos delayed getting uploaded. Also the med building itself is kinda old and jenky but theyre building a new one soon, which will be beautiful."

"The atmosphere at Miller is very collaborative; people here tend to be relatively friendly and laid back; it's hard to be a dick in such nice weather haha..we share a lot of resources with each other through our facebook group. Also, I haven't met one faculty member yet who didn't care about their job or the students."

That's not what I heard from current MS2 and MS1s. It's more competitive and aggressive than admission representatives lead prospective students on to believe. The quartile system makes things even worse than you would have at a pass/fail school.

"Socially, I'd say we get along pretty well and do cross-over from time to time. There are intramural sports/activities. At least one my classmates lives with an MD. It will definitely feel like a divide only because you don't see each other a lot on a daily basis but it's not negative."

They also said there is lots of animosity between the MD and MD/MPH classes.... Apparently the MPH class has a very negative opinion of the MD class... At least that was the sense I got from some of the screenshots of the private MPH facebook page that I was shown by a good friend that is a current MS1.

When I started my reply I stated that this was my experience within the MD/MPH cohort. My classmates and are I very cool with MS1s on the MD side. We may not know all of them but that's solely because our curricula don't allow us to interact with each on a daily basis, which I also said. I even stressed that it will feel like a divide but we don't hold a negative opinion of the MD class. I will be honest and say that I've heard they've had a lot of animosity between themselves and in general they're very vocal but I can't speak much more to that and that has nothing to do with between groups. Again, we hold no animosity towards the traditional track in terms of the pre-clinical years. As far as 3rd year we rotate in two completely different places so that's out. 4th year, everyone's trying to get out the door.

In general, we don't feel like we need to compete with the MD's and have no problem sharing resources or info. I think it's also worth noting that our focuses between the two groups tend to be very different. It's no secret the MD cohort are very academically driven whereas the MPH cohort tends to lean more towards extracurricular-type endeavors on top of having requirements for our master's.

I'd love to see those screenshots if you'll PM me because I can't recall a moment when my class has truly been negative towards the traditional track. Again, we pretty much mind our business and when we see them, it's all love.

Not sure what you've been trying to achieve with your recent flurry of inflammatory comments but I have no reason to sugarcoat anything. I'm already in school and I gain nothing extra from being dishonest. Plus, like I said before these are my experiences.

When I started my reply I stated that this was my experience within the MD/MPH cohort. My classmates and are I very cool with MS1s on the MD side. We may not know all of them but that's solely because our curricula don't allow us to interact with each on a daily basis, which I also said. I even stressed that it will feel like a divide but we don't hold a negative opinion of the MD class. I will be honest and say that I've heard they've had a lot of animosity between themselves and in general they're very vocal but I can't speak much more to that and that has nothing to do with between groups. Again, we hold no animosity towards the traditional track in terms of the pre-clinical years. As far as 3rd year we rotate in two completely different places so that's out. 4th year, everyone's trying to get out the door.

In general, we don't feel like we need to compete with the MD's and have no problem sharing resources or info. I think it's also worth noting that our focuses between the two groups tend to be very different. It's no secret the MD cohort are very academically driven whereas the MPH cohort tends to lean more towards extracurricular-type endeavors on top of having requirements for our master's.

I'd love to see those screenshots if you'll PM me because I can't recall a moment when my class has truly been negative towards the traditional track. Again, we pretty much mind our business and when we see them, it's all love.

Not sure what you've been trying to achieve with your recent flurry of inflammatory comments but I have no reason to sugarcoat anything. I'm already in school and I gain nothing extra from being dishonest. Plus, like I said before these are my experiences.

Thanks for your reply. Can anyone from the MD only track comment on the class vibe and animosity amongst the MD class?

Honestly?
I went to UM for undergrad and am very close with many of the current first years who have shared with me the inner workings of the school. I wasn't accepted so I am not going to lie, I am a little bitter about that but from the sounds of it I am better off going to the other school I got into. Nothing I have said has been made up (which I am sure you can attest to) and I gain nothing by posting what my friends have told me about their year because I am not even on the waitlist.

Honestly?
I went to UM for undergrad and am very close with many of the current first years who have shared with me the inner workings of the school. I wasn't accepted so I am not going to lie, I am a little bitter about that but from the sounds of it I am better off going to the other school I got into. Nothing I have said has been made up (which I am sure you can attest to) and I gain nothing by posting what my friends have told me about their year because I am not even on the waitlist.
Well Balls. I think if you go back and read your five posts you are complicated and simple. Perhaps you are a tad more than bitter. Your friends may be trying to make you feel better for not getting an interview. Who knows... move on and be careful with that poker face.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, if you think ANY school is some rainbow pooping unicorn utopia where there is never any drama between the students you're in for a bad time wherever you go. Of course there's going to be some drama between students - interpersonal drama, people being d*cks, etc. - and you're going to find that everywhere. Or at least, everywhere you'll find people. The important point is that overall UM is a great place with a great atmosphere that actively encourages cooperation and collaboration.

Is the quartile system a beloved institutional tool? No, we don't particularly like it (although to be completely fair it has its benefits), but if someone tells you that it's a bane on society that actively discourages cooperation they're being disingenuous at best. I can't begin to tell you all the nice things students in our class do for each other (even the grade obsessed ones): everything from collaborating on notes for doctoring classes, to sharing expensive resources so people can save money, and so much more. Does that mean there's never been and never will be anyone who doesn't want to help their classmates? Of course not. But most of the students here are great people and I feel lucky to have them as classmates.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with, or felt any animosity from, any student in any class, MD, MD/PHD, MD/MPH, or whatever letters the class associates with. If you're a nice, normal person (not that I'm claiming to be any of those things ;)) you will not have a problem with the majority of people here - or at any school.

Honestly, if you think ANY school is some rainbow pooping unicorn utopia where there is never any drama between the students you're in for a bad time wherever you go. Of course there's going to be some drama between students - interpersonal drama, people being d*cks, etc. - and you're going to find that everywhere. Or at least, everywhere you'll find people. The important point is that overall UM is a great place with a great atmosphere that actively encourages cooperation and collaboration.

Is the quartile system a beloved institutional tool? No, we don't particularly like it (although to be completely fair it has its benefits), but if someone tells you that it's a bane on society that actively discourages cooperation they're being disingenuous at best. I can't begin to tell you all the nice things students in our class do for each other (even the grade obsessed ones): everything from collaborating on notes for doctoring classes, to sharing expensive resources so people can save money, and so much more. Does that mean there's never been and never will be anyone who doesn't want to help their classmates? Of course not. But most of the students here are great people and I feel lucky to have them as classmates.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with, or felt any animosity from, any student in any class, MD, MD/PHD, MD/MPH, or whatever letters the class associates with. If you're a nice, normal person (not that I'm claiming to be any of those things ;)) you will not have a problem with the majority of people here - or at any school.

Exactly this. Nowhere in life exists a place where everyone gets along. That being said, this definitely isn't a Hunger Games-type institution either. Relatively speaking, we do a lot better than most places...

Accepted this morning! Super excited. Interviewed December. LM about 70 w very high mcat.

How do I get added to the FB group?

I have been waiting for a while to be added to the Facebook group. Still no luck.

Exactly this. Nowhere in life exists a place where everyone gets along. That being said, this definitely isn't a Hunger Games-type institution either. Relatively speaking, we do a lot better than most places...

Is that why they discontinued the end of the year peer reviews?

Is that why they discontinued the end of the year peer reviews?
They didn't discontinue peer reviews, they pushed them to the end of second year. We don't hate each other. These were all within the last month alone.

OHMAHGAHD All we do is cut each other down.....Please go away.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 19.39.55.png Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 19.39.44.png Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 19.39.34.png Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 19.38.58.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@holyshizballs

Two things. First, the only reason why I’m addressing you is because I want other viewers to have heard from someone who is actually a student. Second, RE: student reviews, this was done anonymously so you’re bound to get comments that people aren’t bold enough to say aloud.

While I strongly agree that the administration should have had a more firm hand on this (and they have since taken steps to correct this), you can’t take the comments of a few out of 100+ and blow it up as if we’re duking it out every day here at the University of Miami. That’s simply not true. People are going to have their opinions no matter what institution you attend, whether right or wrong. I don’t know where you get this fanciful idea that everyone automatically gets along.

To your point of it being a competitive environment, wake up. Medicine is a competitive field in general. -But - What I’ve shown you directly within the current first-year class, is that even as we approach the end of the year, we’re still collaborating with each other. We share notes, we share ppts, we share information from administration, we share learning points, things that may interest others, etc. So stop.

One thing I won’t let you do is try to misrepresent and discredit my institution when you’ve never stepped one foot in a lecture hall as a medical student at UM. It’s fine for you to have an opinion but to try to speak from a place of authority when half of it is hearsay or exaggeration, is very inappropriate.

You don’t like UM, we get it. This is the last time I’m addressing you.

Reactions: 3 users
As a recent graduate.

I think I can weigh in.

The school tends to breed a lot of competition due to the nature of medicine but my thoughts on it were such.

1. It's hard to trust your classmates outside of your core group of friends. UMMSM allows for reporting "incidents" anonymously that would otherwise be disregarded in civil company. I have seen friends get thrown under the bus for smoking weed or getting a little too drunk out in public then get reported by someone that didn't like them. Which goes to the administration who tend to have an insanely hard line approach to and perceived misconduct.

2. Thank god they got rid of Pulse for pre-clinical years. People are dinguses on that when they have the reign to say whatever they want anonymously. People have actually been admitted for suicidal behaviors because of it. Normal pulse involves you submitting a list of people who you want to give you feedback namely supervisors. Not a bunch of mean sorority girls who despite being medical students act like the plastics from mean girls.

3. The entire school is run by three core administrators who either will ruin your life or make your life much better depending on if they like you or not. How do you get onto their good side? Who knows. It really stems down to the most idiotic things like student government or DOCS. God forbid you ever disagree with one of them on anything regarding medicine, curriculum, or politics.

Overall I was very happy with my decision to come to Miami. I stayed in an area I love. Made some good friends. And am moving on with my career. I am very happy.

BUT the school is more cutthroat and cruel than current students will let on. They never will admit to a problem. Nor can they. God forbid the LCME put them on probation or raise an inquiry because of student mistreatment. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Attachments

• ID.jpg
    ID.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 163
As a recent graduate.

I think I can weigh in.

3. The entire school is run by three core administrators who either will ruin your life or make your life much better depending on if they like you or not. How do you get onto their good side? Who knows. It really stems down to the most idiotic things like student government or DOCS. God forbid you ever disagree with one of them on anything regarding medicine, curriculum, or politics.

OMG I hope the Big Three aren't liberals or conservatives. I am really starting to dislike all things Liberal. Wait maybe I hate progressives. Who is it that is trying to suppress free speech? or educate us on white privilege, or what do you call the media that tell us for a week Trump gave classified information to the Russians, only to have the head of the CIA testify that the CIA shares confidential information with the Russians regularly. Or the four day build up on the high ranking WH official who went from being a person of inquiry, to person of interest, to a target of an investigation, to a mole. All conveniently leaked towards the end of a to successful foreign policy trip even though they had the story since December. Before anyone gets crazy,I am a civil libertarian....

Withdrew my spot in the MD class! Best of luck to those still waiting

Reactions: 4 users
Could a current student elaborate on their experience with the various Pathways of Emphasis programs? Is there a Pathway that isn't as developed as the others? Thanks in advance!

Could a current student elaborate on their experience with the various Pathways of Emphasis programs? Is there a Pathway that isn't as developed as the others? Thanks in advance!

Waste of time unless you have trouble finding your own research.

Since he's an admittedly embittered applicant who was rejected, I'm sure he'd be singing a different tune with an acceptance in hand.
As a Miami undergrad with many friends in the med school, I am well aware that his only agenda is to disparage a school that he feels wronged him...hopefully he was not accepted anywhere else because he clearly lacks many of the characteristics necessary to be a physician.

Rather than moving on with things you chose to belittle and wish ill on a complete stranger...
You definitely are Miller material.

And you're a 'pre-dental', supposed graduate with 3 posts...go troll elsewhere. Most likely you're actually the same dude.
Oh forgive me for just making a new account so that I can't be identified for speaking ill or not sugar coating the truth for potential students. God forbid I need Dr. Mr or Dr. Mrs or any others to come through for me and make a call for fellowships. You're not that naive to think I would use my actual account to leave anything negative about the school on an online forum.

Uhhhhh, let's just go ahead and change this subject, has anyone called the office to see if Weismann is telling applicants to "hold on for a bit" or "commit to your other plans?", it's getting late and I know he said that there was a point that we could do this

Do we need to buy a stethoscope and other medical equipment or is this given to us from the tuition?

Do we need to buy a stethoscope and other medical equipment or is this given to us from the tuition?

I believe the school will provide you with a stethoscope (cheap, throw-away kind, likely not worth > $15) through a fundraising campaign that was done some years back. Otoscope, Ophthalmoscope, reflex hammer, pen-light, etc will be out-of-pocket costs. White-coat is ~$50. Student Govt will usually do something at the beginning of the year like a bulk-buy scrubs sale and provide super-cheap scrub options to incoming class.

I believe the school will provide you with a stethoscope (cheap, throw-away kind, likely not worth > $15) through a fundraising campaign that was done some years back. Otoscope, Ophthalmoscope, reflex hammer, pen-light, etc will be out-of-pocket costs. White-coat is ~$50. Student Govt will usually do something at the beginning of the year like a bulk-buy scrubs sale and provide super-cheap scrub options to incoming class.
Thank you!