2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLICANT NARRATIVES: (All narrative responses should be less than 500 words each).
1. Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
8. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
9. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. [OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taken from last year's OP, courtesy of @Flintwire :

2016-2017 Prompts
(will update when new prompts are available if they're different)

(All limited to 500 words):

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

--------------------------------

For those applying to MD/MPH portion:

Please provide any public health experience.

Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH in your future career as a physician.

Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program?

--------------------------------

This photo is from an event UMMSM hosts for College Students interested in applying to their medical school. It's the formula they use to score applicants:

img_4196-jpg.188145

As you can see, GPA, MCAT, and undergrad "prestige" are only 120/300 points. Your experiences, LORs, overcoming adversity, etc. are actually given more weight at 180/300 points! So don't skimp on elaborating about those experiences ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'll be starting here in June for the MD/MPH program. Be glad to answer any questions about the app process or at least try to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's up guys I'm starting here in August too. Happy to answer any questions about the MD program.

Strongly advise you to start on the secondary early...it's a beast! ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Some of us old fogies are still hanging around as well :). Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I'll be starting here in June for the MD/MPH program. Be glad to answer any questions about the app process or at least try to point you in the right direction.
Did you also apply for the regular program? Just wondering about applying to both. Is it advantageous to do so?

Did you also apply for the regular program? Just wondering about applying to both. Is it advantageous to do so?

If you're seriously interested in the MPH then I'd say apply to both tracks. You'll still only do one interview but your acceptance to either track is not contingent on the other. There have been folks that were accepted to both or only accepted to one or the other.

You also have the option to apply to the MPH portion after your MD-only interview which is what I did. The MPH committee just uses the notes from your original interview in conjunction to your app.

I obviously haven't started yet but here are a few perspectives on the program from past students around post 33 or so: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/miami-md-mph-or-gw-md.1108540/

Last edited:
If you're seriously interested in the MPH then I'd say apply to both tracks. You'll still only do one interview but your acceptance to either track is not contingent on the other. There have been folks that were accepted to both or only accepted to one or the other.

You also have the option to apply to the MPH portion after your MD-only interview which is what I did. The MPH committee just uses the notes from your original interview in conjunction to your app.

I obviously haven't started yet but here are a few perspectives on the program from past students around post 33 or so: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/miami-md-mph-or-gw-md.1108540/
Thanks for your input! This section served as a great resource. I appreciate your help!

Reactions: 1 user
What's up guys I'm starting here in August too. Happy to answer any questions about the MD program.

Hey, quick question for ya! Presumably you had some kind of clinical volunteering on your application. Did you use list it in under both clinical AND volunteering in your chronological lists, or did you choose one or the other?

Hey, quick question for ya! Presumably you had some kind of clinical volunteering on your application. Did you use list it in under both clinical AND volunteering in your chronological lists, or did you choose one or the other?

I just put clinical volunteering under "Clinical Experience/Shadowing" and put non-clinical volunteer stuff in "community service/volunteering", since my clinical experience list was a little short compared to the volunteer one.

With that said, Miami's secondary is a prime example of the saying "more than one way to skin a cat". There's definitely some ambiguity in the way they ask the questions and theres totally more than one correct way to write the app.

Also, Remember that UM wants start/stop dates and a short description for all the chronological list questions. I didnt read the instruction sheet carefully, submitted without any descriptions, and then had to send them the "I messed up" email of shame lol.

I just put clinical volunteering under "Clinical Experience/Shadowing" and put non-clinical volunteer stuff in "community service/volunteering", since my clinical experience list was a little short compared to the volunteer one.

With that said, Miami's secondary is a prime example of the saying "more than one way to skin a cat". There's definitely some ambiguity in the way they ask the questions and theres totally more than one correct way to write the app.

Also, Remember that UM wants start/stop dates and a short description for all the chronological list questions. I didnt read the instruction sheet carefully, submitted without any descriptions, and then had to send them the "I messed up" email of shame lol.

Ha! Thanks for the tip. Glad to hear you still got in :)

BTW this is an incredibly annoying secondary. 75% of this stuff is already in AMCAS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Miller have a bias against former Community College students?
What are Miller's OOS chances? I'm from Cali.

Miami definitely prefers in-state applicants. Also having CC credits while in college from a non-florida institution might not be favorable

Exactly. I wonder if it is even referenced during the interview...
In my interview they repeated all the questions as well. We still talked about a bunch of other things, but I was like ".....Did you see my application?" Haha

Ok so as per UMs website their opinion of CC credit is:

"It is expected that the major portion of required science courses will be taken at the senior college level. An application that presents only a junior college academic record will not be considered. "

My personal opinion (and I don't even start here for a month so YMMV): UM places significant weight on "quality of academic institution" as per their rubric. So I'd say it depends on what classes you took at CC, your performance in them, how long you were there, and what 4 year school you transferred to. If you took the majority of your science pre reqs at CC then I'd imagine your gonna face an uphill battle.

As for OOS concerns, UM has no stated preference for FL students. However half of the class does come from Florida, so obviously something is going on. My belief is that they are looking for students who have reasons to attend Miami beyond just the basic draws (like that it's in Miami lol...), and these tend to be people who are familiar with the area. So if you can articulate why you want to attend miller beyond the usual generic reasons, then you should in theory be on an even playing field with the IS people.

Hope this helps, good luck, and sorry for rambling a bit!

There are actually a lot of people in my class who are from the west coast; Cali, Oregon, and Washington. Don't know about chances perse but they're definitely represented.

Also because they're private, they don't receive state funding in the way a State school would. With this in mind, they've been reasonably increasing the amount of OOS matriculants.

Last edited:
Is merit based aid based on their admissions formula?

Hi! Can you talk about the community service opportunities that are available a UM? Is it integrated into the curriculum? Is it easy to get involved? Thanks!

Hi! Can you talk about the community service opportunities that are available a UM? Is it integrated into the curriculum? Is it easy to get involved? Thanks!

Well I haven't started yet so I'm gonna call in @Flintwire and @Ace Khalifa since they may be able to give a more complete answer.

But my understanding is that most community service at miller is done through DOCS, which organizes free health fairs for the people of southern Florida. From what I've heard it's very easy to get involved and the majority of students participate in some way. I don't think I met a student during my interview or second look who wasn't at least a little involved in Docs. As for it being integrated with the curriculum I don't believe it is (other than using the clinical skills learned in class at the health fairs). You certainly aren't graded on your performance or anything like that.

Here's a link that may be able to give you some more info:
http://udocs.med.miami.edu

Miami definitely prefers in-state applicants. Also having CC credits while in college from a non-florida institution might not be favorable
That being true, I got in from WA with about 30CC credits and 30 AP credits out of 275 college credits.

Well I haven't started yet so I'm gonna call in @Flintwire and @Ace Khalifa since they may be able to give a more complete answer.

But my understanding is that most community service at miller is done through DOCS, which organizes free health fairs for the people of southern Florida. From what I've heard it's very easy to get involved and the majority of students participate in some way. I don't think I met a student during my interview or second look who wasn't at least a little involved in Docs. As for it being integrated with the curriculum I don't believe it is (other than using the clinical skills learned in class at the health fairs). You certainly aren't graded on your performance or anything like that.

Here's a link that may be able to give you some more info:
http://udocs.med.miami.edu
Yes, most of us are involved with DOCS in some capacity, and it is one of the main ways to be involved with community service. It is not the only way, tho. Your academic society will host a couple service events as well. There are also many more student organizations that let you volunteer in various ways. For example, COATS lets you go to underserved high schools in the Miami Dade area and teach basic anatomy stuff to students. CHAMP lets you read to kids who are on dialysis; this one was pioneered this year by my classmate. There's tons of ways to get involved with service if that's your thing.

Yes, most of us are involved with DOCS in some capacity, and it is one of the main ways to be involved with community service. It is not the only way, tho. Your academic society will host a couple service events as well. There are also many more student organizations that let you volunteer in various ways. For example, COATS lets you go to underserved high schools in the Miami Dade area and teach basic anatomy stuff to students. CHAMP lets you read to kids who are on dialysis; this one was pioneered this year by my classmate. There's tons of ways to get involved with service if that's your thing.
That is great to hear. Thank so much for your thoughtful response.

anyone do the MD/MPH? if so, any suggestions for the secondary? any help is appreciated!

anyone do the MD/MPH? if so, any suggestions for the secondary? any help is appreciated!

Uhh, all I can say is be honest in what you did. Unfortunately (but maybe fortunately), it's one of those things where your resume has to speak for itself; this is especially true for the MPH additional questions - there's no bullsh*tting around those.

If you want to affect whole populations and can highlight a particular group of at-risk people, then you may be able to make a case. Your background, be it growing up or what you spent your time working towards, must also reflect the desire to bring about change in particular groups.

As far as the general secondary, it really depends on the impact that you want to make in medicine. If you're truly only interested in working with individual patients then you can't really speak towards public health. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Keep in mind that the dual degree definitely takes more work and shouldn't be pursued just to have extra credentials behind your name.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
my understanding is that most community service at miller is done through DOCS, which organizes free health fairs for the people of southern Florida. From what I've heard it's very easy to get involved and the majority of students participate in some way. I don't think I met a student during my interview or second look who wasn't at least a little involved in Docs. As for it being integrated with the curriculum I don't believe it is (other than using the clinical skills learned in class at the health fairs). You certainly aren't graded on your performance or anything like that.
@The Knife & Gun Club & @Ace Khalifa pretty much covered it! Between DOCS, your academic society (some are more active than others, btw), and the student organizations, you'll find plenty of opportunities to do community service that are super easy to get involved with. Plus, if you noticed, Ace mentioned that CHAMP was created this year by one of our classmates - meaning if there's something specific you want to do for the community that we don't offer, you can always create the opportunity yourself! UM is very supportive of things like that.

Have secondaries gone out?

I was OOS and took all pre-req's at a CC, many over summer semesters and no not URM

Anyone receive an email about UM deciding whether or not to send out a secondary?

Anyone receive an email about UM deciding whether or not to send out a secondary?

Got that email this morning. If they want to pre-screen, thats fine with me! Will save me the hassle of writing their massive secondary if they aren't actually interested in interviewing me! Though, it could just be a numbers screen.

I received two emails about 10 minutes apart this morning saying the same thing along the lines of "miami has received your AMCAS".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got that email this morning. If they want to pre-screen, thats fine with me! Will save me the hassle of writing their massive secondary if they aren't actually interested in interviewing me! Though, it could just be a numbers screen.
True! The secondary is a beast from the questions last year.

i recieved that email last Friday and this morning, i guess there is something wrong with their system.

I'm pretty sure they don't screen.

I'm pretty sure they don't screen.

The email they sent out this morning made it seem otherwise..."a decision about whether we will send you a secondary application will be made soon."

I just received an email saying I was selected to complete the secondary. I'm surprised because I took the MCAT on June 18th so they don't have my scores yet.

Hey guys! For the pre-requisites section, there is an asterisk that says that the lab courses should not be entered in the pre-requisites section but we have to have taken the lab. So when we are entering our courses, do we just put the grade for the lecture? For instance, my chemistry lecture and lab are taken separately. Do I just enter the chemistry lecture and the grade for that lecture without the lab? Thanks!! :)

What is the pre-req section?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Hey! So I'm just applying for MD only. I'm not sure if our applications will look different. But the pre-req section on my application told me to enter in the institution, the course name, the year, and the grade that I received for the pre-reqs they wanted.

Hey guys! For the pre-requisites section, there is an asterisk that says that the lab courses should not be entered in the pre-requisites section but we have to have taken the lab. So when we are entering our courses, do we just put the grade for the lecture? For instance, my chemistry lecture and lab are taken separately. Do I just enter the chemistry lecture and the grade for that lecture without the lab? Thanks!! :)

same question.

Hey! So I'm just applying for MD only. I'm not sure if our applications will look different. But the pre-req section on my application told me to enter in the institution, the course name, the year, and the grade that I received for the pre-reqs they wanted.
I haven't received my secondary invite yet - the verification process is painfully long... So they have specific courses they're looking for? Anything unusual or is it all typical BCPM stuff?

Received secondary today. The secondary here is very extensive... good luck to all of us. God bless us all.
@WedgeDawg
APPLICANT NARRATIVES: (All narrative responses should be less than 500 words each).
1. Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
8. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
9. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. [OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. [OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

I haven't received my secondary invite yet - the verification process is painfully long... So they have specific courses they're looking for? Anything unusual or is it all typical BCPM stuff?

Ooh okay! Good luck with verification. Hopefully it'll be done soon for you. And the secondary will give you a break down of how many semesters/quarters they want the English, Chem, Orgo, Biochem, Physics, Bio, and Behavioral Sciences. They want you to input your grades and stuff like that but it's a bit vague.