2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's also possible that the class is full for now

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They accept 20 student and it's been 9 weeks of acceptances so that's 180 and they continues interviews after the last acceptance date

Members don't see this ad.

Like someone else mentioned, I also called recently and was told that they'd still be giving out acceptances bi-weekly. Most likely scenario is that no one posted about getting an acceptance on SDN. Or maybe they skipped a week and will start again next week.

Like someone else mentioned, I also called recently and was told that they'd still be giving out acceptances bi-weekly. Most likely scenario is that no one posted about getting an acceptance on SDN. Or maybe they skipped a week and will start again next week.

... unbelievable! Why is that UM does not give clear answers? We just need to know if we are done with them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody call to see if they didn't meet yesterday ? Why wouldn't they accept people yesterday ?

I recently called, and the admissions office told me the committee did not meet yesterday (3/29). Not sure why they weren't able to meet and wasn't told the next decision date.

Reactions: 4 users
I recently called, and the admissions office told me the committee did not meet yesterday (3/29). Not sure why they weren't able to meet and wasn't told the next decision date.
Just thinking logically here, 9 acceptance dates of 20 acceptances/day = 180 members of the entering class, though I'm sure some have either outright declined the offer or have withdrawn following acceptances from schools they liked more. They mentioned an expecting incoming class of 198, so it should be reasonable to assume there are 30-40 spots to still be handed out before Traffic Day, right?

I suppose it's possible they have also accepted more than 20/acceptance day, which could explain why they didn't feel the need to meet yesterday.

Just thinking logically here, 9 acceptance dates of 20 acceptances/day = 180 members of the entering class, though I'm sure some have either outright declined the offer or have withdrawn following acceptances from schools they liked more. They mentioned an expecting incoming class of 198, so it should be reasonable to assume there are 30-40 spots to still be handed out before Traffic Day, right?

I suppose it's possible they have also accepted more than 20/acceptance day, which could explain why they didn't feel the need to meet yesterday.
Last year they accepted 360 in total

Last year they accepted 360 in total
Right. I don't know if this info is out there, but knowing how many of those acceptances were post-April 30 would be nice. Like, do they only accept 198 prior to April 30 and then offer 160 in May/June, or do they offer 260 prior to April then 100 in May/June, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I would guess that they offer all of their acceptances before April 30th (189 spots), but then those same acceptances are offered to others as students withdraw/decline. I imagine they will continue to offer acceptances to people on the alt list until they have 189 students who intend to matriculate. Based on prior years, it apparently takes around 360 offers of acceptance to get to that point. So we will see. Fingers crossed!

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Anybody else interview end of February and haven't heard any decision at all?

Since my application was submitted, my status on the page never changed from "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." I never got any indication that my application was scored.

Anyone else with the same status?

edit: (submitted in July)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since my application was submitted, my status on the page never changed from "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." I never got any indication that my application was scored.

same and i submitted in july

Reactions: 2 users

Have you gotten an interview ?

Nope, no communication or status change at all since submitting my secondary.
I doubt they just ignored applications if they requested secondaries from certain applicants. Maybe they just forgot to switch the status to scored :shrug:

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting today?

I'm really not concerned anymore about this status, but it's been so long that a part of me kinda wonders if I actually didn't submit my application in the first place. :)

(submitted in early July)

Anyone know if they're having a meeting this wed?
Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting today?

The admissions office told me they will meet next Wednesday (4/12) and sometime between April 26th -28th

*Edit: Also it seems the decision dates have been kind of obscure lately so take this info with some uncertainty

(Interviewed 3/10 and no decision has been made yet)

Last edited:
can any current students comment on the quality of the education here in the first two years and whether or not you felt the curriculum here prepares you for the Step 1?

Hey guys - a few quick questions for current students or others who have interviewed during this cycle.

I am writing an update letter (post-interview)/LOI for this school, was waitlisted a few weeks ago, and was wondering:

1. Should I write the letter in an official letter format and email as a pdf? (assuming probably yes but this is my first ever letter of the type)
2. I am waitlisted for both MD & MD/MPH, but strongly prefer MD/MPH. Should I address that directly, or leave it more generic? I would accept a spot for either degree track.
3. Any other thoughts/tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Hoping to get the letter in by this weekend.

Same

Hey guys, recently accepted student and first time poster here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me in joining the fb group?

can any current students comment on the quality of the education here in the first two years and whether or not you felt the curriculum here prepares you for the Step 1?

98% first-pass rate with c/o '17 with average going up every year; Check the match list for this year: 2017 Match Day Results - Miller School of Medicine Admissions. Whether the match list is reflective of top choices or not, we still match pretty well. While not anecdotal, the data touches on your question.

Hey guys - a few quick questions for current students or others who have interviewed during this cycle.

I am writing an update letter (post-interview)/LOI for this school, was waitlisted a few weeks ago, and was wondering:

1. Should I write the letter in an official letter format and email as a pdf? (assuming probably yes but this is my first ever letter of the type)
2. I am waitlisted for both MD & MD/MPH, but strongly prefer MD/MPH. Should I address that directly, or leave it more generic? I would accept a spot for either degree track.

I wrote to them post-interview and expressed my strong interest in the MD/MPH. First year finishes in ~7 weeks. Can't say that my story will be yours but it definitely doesn't hurt to try. When you write them, I would express exactly how you feel about the programs highlighting that it would be an amazing opportunity to be admitted to both programs but you also have a strong desire for the MPH.

Last edited:
98% first-pass rate with c/o '17 with average going up every year; Check the match list for this year: 2017 Match Day Results - Miller School of Medicine Admissions. Whether the match list is reflective of top choices or not, we still match pretty well. While not anecdotal, the data touches on your question.

I wrote to them post-interview and expressed my strong interest in the MD/MPH. First year finishes in ~7 weeks. Can't say that my story will be yours but it definitely doesn't hurt to try. When you write them, I would express exactly how you feel about the programs highlighting that it would be an amazing opportunity to be admitted to both programs but you also have a strong desire for the MPH.

Thanks! I appreciate your input. I see you helping out students on here all the time and I just want to let you know that I (we?) really appreciate the time you take!

Thanks! I appreciate your input. I see you helping out students on here all the time and I just want to let you know that I (we?) really appreciate the time you take!

No problem. I had a lot of falls and successes along the way. I believe in informed decision-making and if I can offer more data points to help you make the best decision for your situation then to me that's good karma.

Well guys, the U didn't help me out on the financial aid end, so I think I'm going to have to bail out. Still love Miami, though.

Well guys, the U didn't help me out on the financial aid end, so I think I'm going to have to bail out. Still love Miami, though.

they sent you an email about it? i havent had any word from FA

jk i found finanial aid package on Canelink

Anybody else interview end of Feb or beginning of March and haven't heard a thing? Is this a bad sign still have the 4-6 weeks to hear back status and it's been 6 weeks

Anybody else interview end of Feb or beginning of March and haven't heard a thing? Is this a bad sign still have the 4-6 weeks to hear back status and it's been 6 weeks

Doubt it the admissions committee hasn't met since march 15, they just may not have gotten to you.

I received the final decision status on my portal and that I should be contacted within 7 days, does this usually mean alternate list ?

I received the final decision status on my portal and that I should be contacted within 7 days, does this usually mean alternate list ?

+1

"A final decision has been reached by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine on your application. Contact the admissions ofice 305-243-3234upload_2017-4-9_9-34-24.png or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days."

I just noticed the "final decision status has been reached". Assuming this was posted on Friday..

How long did it take for you guys to be notified after this status?

I just noticed the "final decision status has been reached". Assuming this was posted on Friday..

How long did it take for you guys to be notified after this status?
You should get a phone call Wednesday if you're accepted or an email Thursday if you're on the alternate list.

Ugh, still don't have the Final Decision Status and it's been 6 weeks. Patience is apparently not my virtue

Just received waiting list email like 15 minutes ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Called number above, and interviews ended on 3/17. For those of us with files "still under review," our rejections emails should come in ~2 weeks.

Will the admissions office tell us where we stand on the alternate list?