2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did they waitlist if it's not even Wednesday? Anyone ask the office ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those being waitlisted, did your status before the decision change to 'Final Decision in 7 days' or did it go straight from the 'Admissions Committee needs 4-6 weeks to review' one?

Isn't it odd they would waitlist people on a Monday ? I thought they reviewed on Wednesday ?
For those waitlisted, what day did you interview?

Also got waitlisted (alt list) today, and I think they sent us the email today since they were busy and were not able to update our status at an earlier time. The office did say the adcom will meet this Wednesday. Interviewed 3/10

From reading the 2015-2016 cycle forums, people were waitlisted on Mondays during the month of April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea if they offer financial aid/scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist? (@teeayejay and other current students?)

No love on the financial aid front ; acceptance formally withdrawn. Good luck to you all on the waitlist! Hopefully my spot goes to one of you.

Last edited:
Any idea if they offer financial aid/scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist? (@teeayejay and other current students?)

Yea, I was picked up off the waitlist and was offered a bit of cash (which I happily took). I think it was the same story for a few of my classmates...from what Fin Aid told me, they try to make sure all students are covered in some way. May not be a lot for some but that's their goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Are they releasing the financial aid in batches? Mine has yet to become available on CaneLink.

I actually got a lot of financial aid help and I came off the waitlist in mid June.

Hey guys, recently accepted student and first time poster here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me in joining the fb group?
If you haven't gotten on the group yet, please PM me and I'll help you. I sent out invites to everyone to join who were accepted as of yesterday.

If I'm not mistaken, no one has been accepted in an entire month. That's pretty crazy, you guys think they're just saving all their acceptances up for closer to traffic day?

If I'm not mistaken, no one has been accepted in an entire month. That's pretty crazy, you guys think they're just saving all their acceptances up for closer to traffic day?

Not really sure what to think. When I called I was told they'd still be continuing then bi-weekly acceptance dates through April. Maybe something changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

... mean and unacceptable! They are just playing with our minds and hearts. There are some Machiavellian minds behind all of this.

... I just feel that uncertainty and hope do not blend at all, mostly when there is no faith!

I understand your frustration. You just have to be careful not to let your true emotions show in your interviews...

They are the reasons why I have been rejected everywhere ... that's OK ... nxt yr !!!

Interviewed on March 17th and didn't hear anything on the 29th or the 5th like they had originally said so I called and they told me that they will not be meeting again till the first week of May. :( Thought I would just let y'all know.

Committee did not meet yesterday (4/12), was told next meeting is 4/19
Interviewed on March 17th and didn't hear anything on the 29th or the 5th like they had originally said so I called and they told me that they will not be meeting again till the first week of May. :( Thought I would just let y'all know.
There+you+go+now+you+have+it+for+the+future+_9ad29ca4352b14ecfe58c486dcd8ca59.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Not really sure what to think. When I called I was told they'd still be continuing then bi-weekly acceptance dates through April. Maybe something changed.

not true, i had a friend that was accepted last week

I just called and they said they're meeting next week and sending acceptances and rejections (which I didn't even realize they did send rejections).

So are we coming to the consensus that there's a meeting next week? I feel like they've said there's a meeting "next week" for a month straight without there ever being an actual meeting.

Reactions: 4 users
Please don't take this the wrong way but, everyone chillllllllllll.

It can be super frustrating but waitlist movement will happen when it happens.

We are over here guessing when they will meet/accept, the adcom is trying to guess who will drop, who won't, etc.

I stare anxiously at my phone everyday at 5pm, but I refuse to let it get me down.

Try to stay positive :)

(Quickly ducks out of room before someone throws something at my head)

Reactions: 5 users
Please don't take this the wrong way but, everyone chillllllllllll.

It can be super frustrating but waitlist movement will happen when it happens.

We are over here guessing when they will meet/accept, the adcom is trying to guess who will drop, who won't, etc.

I stare anxiously at my phone everyday at 5pm, but I refuse to let it get me down.

Try to stay positive :)

(Quickly ducks out of room before someone throws something at my head)

Lol. You're right tho.

(Slowly peeks back into room)

Glad nobody took that the wrong way. I was a little afraid to post because I know people need to vent and frustrations are very real and medical school is a huge deal.

I just hope nobody is stressing too much because I know how that feels and it stinks.

I once spent a whole weekend off of work moping about getting rejected at one of my other top choice schools, and where did it get me? A wasted weekend (and I rarely get weekends off, usually work 50+ hours/week). After that I decided not to let this stuff get to me like that anymore.

It is what it, you can't control it (past application/interview), so try your best not to let it get to you. Last year I applied and didn't get it, this year I have so far only been accepted to DO (Miami is my last chance at MD), but I'm staying positive because at least I am going to start medical school this fall!

Reactions: 1 users

Glad nobody took that the wrong way. I was a little afraid to post because I know people need to vent and frustrations are very real and medical school is a huge deal.

I just hope nobody is stressing too much because I know how that feels and it stinks.

I once spent a whole weekend off of work moping about getting rejected at one of my other top choice schools, and where did it get me? A wasted weekend (and I rarely get weekends off, usually work 50+ hours/week). After that I decided not to let this stuff get to me like that anymore.

It is what it, you can't control it (past application/interview), so try your best not to let it get to you. Last year I applied and didn't get it, this year I have so far only been accepted to DO (Miami is my last chance at MD), but I'm staying positive because at least I am going to start medical school this fall!

Hey, I know I don't know you at all, but unlike most, you seem to have a great attitude and approach towards the whole process. The whole thing really is a crapshoot and can be an inaccurate reflection of how hard one works. At the end of the day, I'm sure you'll make a great doctor and will help out a lot of patients. Isn't that what this is all about anyways?

Making a great point here...especially since it seems like people are being told different things from the office (adcom meeting next week, adcom meeting in May, acceptances given based on waitlist movement, etc.) I think it's best not to worry about anything in regards to specific decision dates and just hope to hear back soon

Reactions: 3 users

*Applause* your attitude makes me hopeful for the future of medicine. thanks for the reality check.