2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All my dates are almost the same as yours and I've called them quite a bit cause I'm ED. I got a few different answers from a few different people but it seems the consensus is that they'll look over your whole application once you're an "applicant in process" but they can't give you an interview until the casper scores get in which should be four weeks after the casper date.

For those of you worried about the casper test... I took the test 8/30 (had my app in early july and didn´t realize we even needed to take the stupid thing :smack:) however I just got an II on 9/7. Theres no way my results were in within a week, so it´s still possible to recieve an II without casper results!!

Best of luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Man this CASper test definitely throws a wrench in things. When did they even put it up on their website? They don't inform applicants of it till they deliver secondaries, that's way too late. I submitted my secondary 8/11 but the next test wasn't until 8/30 which i'm taking but they won't even look at my app till they get the results at the end of Sept. That's bogus! Does anyone know how late you can get accepted and still get a Chicago placement? As someone currently living in the city, any other placement would be inconvenient...

Don´t worry too much about the casper. I also took it on 8-30 and received an II on 9-5.

Good luck to you!

Received an II today, and am startled by the difference in interview date options. Monday or a month from then? For anyone who also received today, is that what the options looked like this afternoon?

Sure is

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II today, and am startled by the difference in interview date options. Monday or a month from then? For anyone who also received today, is that what the options looked like this afternoon?

When I called admissions to schedule my interview, the person I spoke with said there were open slots in Peoria on the 16th, even though I saw none on the calendar. I still chose to interview in October because I want to see the city campus.

When I called admissions to schedule my interview, the person I spoke with said there were open slots in Peoria on the 16th, even though I saw none on the calendar. I still chose to interview in October because I want to see the city campus.

Did the same thing. I want to be in the city and see what it is like and so I decided to interview in October.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No II here. Submitted 7/19, CASPer 7/26. 3.5/516. Kinda bummed I haven't heard anything yet... :/

Reactions: 1 user
II on 9/8. Crazy date selection. Went with the one this Monday. Good luck to everyone!

II yesterday. OOS, no connection to Midwest. Waiting for some more dates to generate before scheduling (they do not let you reschedule).

Those who got II's yesterday, 9/8, when did you submit secondaries and CASPer?

Hi everyone,

I know this is a bit off-topic but I wanted to let you know that the earliest we can submit the FAFSA for the 2017-2018 school year is now October 1, 2016. In previous years the earliest was always three months later on January 1st. The deadlines (latest dates) for submitting stay the same. Depending on the school, state, and grant eligibility submitting early can have benefits. Just wanted to spread the word in case it helps you receive more financial aid. (I think UIC doesn't give out grants for med school so it won't matter for them, but the other schools you're applying to might. Don't quote me on that though.) I'm doing mine early just to get it out of the way.

Source: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/announcements/fafsa-changes

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY **** II!!! No email, just checked my status and I was given a bunch of schedule dates!

Reactions: 3 users
II!! IS. For those who have received an II, will more dates be added to the calendar? The only date I'm seeing is in october...

Does anyone know the interview acceptance rate for in-state students??

just submitted my secondary, probably a reach with my stats as an OOS but yolo!

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete on 7/19 and portal still says "Applicant in Progress." Anybody in a similar situation?

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete on 7/19 and portal still says "Applicant in Progress." Anybody in a similar situation?
How do you know when you're complete? I can't find that status anywhere on the portal but I've had all of my materials in for months

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

How do you know when you're complete? I can't find that status anywhere on the portal but I've had all of my materials in for months

I just based my complete date on when they received all my materials (secondary, LORs, MCAT). The portal should say when they received your letters.

It does but I have no idea when they received my Casper. I guess it doesn't really matter, just gotta wait and hope for the best!

Does anyone know what the application status "Applicant in progress" means? Does mean my application is not yet complete? Will they inform me when they recieve Casper results?

Concerning the 8/30 CASPer - just today the NYMC portal is showing they received the 8/30 test results. The results would have been sent at the same time to UIC, Tulane or any other school you designated. Maybe we will finally get out of "progress"!

II just now as well. Complete 7/15, took the Casper in early August, LizzyM 74. OOS.

The only interview date is Oct 21 in Peoria...unfortunate since I'll be at a conference that day.

Does anyone know from past cycles if one can be held as "applicant in progress" indefinitely? I'm trying to figure out the likelihood of this status ever changing, either positively or negatively, to gain closure one way or the other! haha. UIC is my top choice, so I think I'm a little more frantic with them than anyone else!

II just now! IS LizzyM 70 complete late August. But I don't see any interview dates open. Does anyone have any idea when they open new dates?

Reactions: 1 user
When I called they said to keep checking the portal for new dates. They wouldn't tell me when new dates may appear.

Wait NVM I saw there are interviews in Peoria on one date in October. Do they release more dates?

When I called they said to keep checking the portal for new dates. They wouldn't tell me when new dates may appear.

I had to wait two weeks for a new date to pop up, and then the Chicago time slot was only available for a couple hours before it was all filled, so check often!

Does anyone know from past cycles if one can be held as "applicant in progress" indefinitely? I'm trying to figure out the likelihood of this status ever changing, either positively or negatively, to gain closure one way or the other! haha. UIC is my top choice, so I think I'm a little more frantic with them than anyone else!
I am a re-applicant from last year and applied here before. I was held in some sort of status indefinitely then in April/mayish received a rejection letter... but I'm not sure if it was "Applicant in progress" or Application in process" or Applicant in process" lol.

I am a re-applicant from last year and applied here before. I was held in some sort of status indefinitely then in April/mayish received a rejection letter... but I'm not sure if it was "Applicant in progress" or Application in process" or Applicant in process" lol.

Thanks so much! When I call they say that I'm in line to be reviewed. But I submitted my secondary a day and a half after getting it (which, when I met with the admissions counselor is what he recommended I do) back in July. I'm starting to think this might end up being my situation as well. Glad to hear that it's at least a normal part of the process for some, haha.

Best of luck! :)

I have a quick question, I know that on this post somewhere, people have said that U of I will not consider your application complete until you complete the CASPer. When I go to sign up for a test date for that, the EARLIEST is 10/20/2016. So the review of my application is going to be delayed until like at least a week after I complete this? How is having October 20th as the earliest date pragmatic in anyway if the university will not review your application until that is complete? Who sets the CASPer dates, the University or CASPer?

The company that owns CASPer sets the dates, and it usually takes a month to get them graded and disseminated to schools. There were earlier dates (I took mine in August), but they likely filled up.

A few people reported getting IIs before having their CASPers, so it looks like your app can be reviewed without it. Since they only let people know about it via secondary most people are having to wait a month+ after receiving the secondary before becoming complete. This year is probably a trial run more than anything, so I wouldn't sweat it and get your secondary in and CASPer scheduled asap.

The company that owns CASPer sets the dates, and it usually takes a month to get them graded and disseminated to schools. There were earlier dates (I took mine in August), but they likely filled up.

A few people reported getting IIs before having their CASPers, so it looks like your app can be reviewed without it. Since they only let people know about it via secondary most people are having to wait a month+ after receiving the secondary before becoming complete. This year is probably a trial run more than anything, so I wouldn't sweat it and get your secondary in and CASPer scheduled asap.

I already submitted my secondary as I had received a seconday withn 2 days of submitting my primary. I have the CASPer scheduled, but again not until 10/20/16. So my application wont be reviewed until November because it takes a month for CASPer to send out the results to the school? Should I just consider my app declined haha?

I already submitted my secondary as I had received a seconday withn 2 days of submitting my primary. I have the CASPer scheduled, but again not until 10/20/16. So my application wont be reviewed until November because it takes a month for CASPer to send out the results to the school? Should I just consider my app declined haha?
Anyone who submitted later in the cycle (as in not July/August) is probably in the same boat. UIC knows this so it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage in any way. Everyone, regardless of when they submitted, has had to wait for CASPer.

So does the interview include any questions pertaining to preferred location of education? If I'm interviewing in a non-Chicago location, is it bad if I say that I would prefer to be in Chicago? Note that I do realize that the location of interview does not have a bearing on where you go for school, but I'm trying to feel out how this works.

If anyone has any information or tips for interview day, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

So does the interview include any questions pertaining to preferred location of education? If I'm interviewing in a non-Chicago location, is it bad if I say that I would prefer to be in Chicago? Note that I do realize that the location of interview does not have a bearing on where you go for school, but I'm trying to feel out how this works.

If anyone has any information or tips for interview day, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

So, of course I'm not an authority on this, but I really just suggest you don't. They won't ask you about preferences until your accepted, and wherever you interview you are going to be speaking to representatives of that location. So, most likely, they actually really like that location... and since bias is pretty hard to measure in traditional style interview reports/notes coming from say, Peoria, to Chicago, it's in your best interest to just impress whoever you're with and leave the location out of it. My point is, if you interview in Peoria, the people there really like the Peoria location, so telling them straight up in your interview (during which they won't even ask you where you want to be) that you would rather be in Chicago could leave a bad taste in their mouths. Because, lets face it, they're human and it could be insulting to them that you aren't even considering a place they really like.

Of course I doubt they would ever write in their evaluation of you, "he was rude for not considering our site" or something like that, but just saying it could cloud their judgement of you and every other subsequent thing you say in the interview. It's a pretty thing to think that all interviewers are totally unbiased and wouldn't do this, but I think its MUCH safer to assume their human and this could happen. Just my thoughts.

Also, I've been told by students that no matter how interested you are in Chicago/how much interest you show in Chicago/etc it doesn't guarantee that you're going to be there. So, basically you could bring it up 100 times, and they still might ask you to attend in Rockford.

Anyone seeing a trend in how long they were "in process" before they got an II or hold status? I looked at last year's thread and got a basic idea on time from progress to process but not process to II. I am still on progress but as their portal has me has complete ~8/30 I am thinking it could change soon.