2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II, Submitted 7/14, CASPer 7/10 and delivered around 8/2, OOS.
How do you know when your CASPer results are received or delivered?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you know when your CASPer results are received or delivered?

Received a complete email around that date from another school that required it. So I am assuming that my CASPer score was delivered at around that time.

Received a complete email around that date from another school that required it. So I am assuming that my CASPer score was delivered at around that time.
do you know how long it was between when you took casper and got that email? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know how long it was between when you took casper and got that email? Thank you!

I am not sure I understand your question. I took CASPer on 7/10 and received a complete e-mail from one of the schools I applied to that required it on 8/2 so I am assuming it got delivered to that school at around 8/2. Less than a month after I took the CASPer.

Was anyone able to schedule an interview? And does anyone know when they add more dates?

Was anyone able to schedule an interview? And does anyone know when they add more dates?

I was not able to schedule an interview. I am waiting on them to add more dates. I may call sometime to day to figure things out.

I was not able to schedule an interview. I am waiting on them to add more dates. I may call sometime to day to figure things out.

Called this morning thinking the spots available last night were still there, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out everything filled up lol

Repeating what HL8208 posted, I was told we'd just have to keep checking the portal to see if more spots are added. New spots will be October dates. I was not given an estimate on when they would add new spots, just told to be on the lookout.

Called this morning thinking the spots available last night were still there, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out everything filled up lol

Repeating what HL8208 posted, I was told we'd just have to keep checking the portal to see if more spots are added. New spots will be October dates. I was not given an estimate on when they would add new spots, just told to be on the lookout.

Thanks for the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first, the applications are open until December 1st. So, taking CASPer on July 26th isn't an issue. Interviews don't start until mid-september at the earliest, and having your CASPer scores in before December 1st will not affect whether your application is considered complete. Having said that, I wouldn't wait till the last minute to take it either, just to keep things moving along.

The Extra Curriculars page, whether it's somewhat duplicative, or not, is looked at by the screeners, so fill it out. It definitely isn't just for new ECs, or ones you didn't already tell AMCAS about. They asked for it to be part of the supplemental process. Put in your most relevant ECs, I'd say. Hope that helps.

do you know how often interview dates are added to the website?

For those waiting for the flow chart, I called UIC today. She said that Casper is in and my file is complete and waiting to be reviewed. I didn't get a complete email yet, nor has the status changed from applicant in progress!

so far that means:

Applicant in progress -->

is as far as it has gotten.

Can anyone post the link to their secondary? I know I received a secondary from this university and even logged in but I just can't locate the link in my email anymore.

Man this CASper test definitely throws a wrench in things. When did they even put it up on their website? They don't inform applicants of it till they deliver secondaries, that's way too late. I submitted my secondary 8/11 but the next test wasn't until 8/30 which i'm taking but they won't even look at my app till they get the results at the end of Sept. That's bogus! Does anyone know how late you can get accepted and still get a Chicago placement? As someone currently living in the city, any other placement would be inconvenient...

Man this CASper test definitely throws a wrench in things. When did they even put it up on their website? They don't inform applicants of it till they deliver secondaries, that's way too late. I submitted my secondary 8/11 but the next test wasn't until 8/30 which i'm taking but they won't even look at my app till they get the results at the end of Sept. That's bogus! Does anyone know how late you can get accepted and still get a Chicago placement? As someone currently living in the city, any other placement would be inconvenient...

Hey Krita,
According to: http://medicine.uic.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=443021&pageId=30391372 they accept Sept-March. As far as which campus, no idea. I feel you on the wanting Chicago bit. My husband and I live and (he would continue to) work in the city. I'm hoping for any school, anywhere, but obviously would love to be able to stay with my husband and dog if possible!

I hope the CASPer graders don't rate being a snitch as a good thing.

Low key taking this CASPer test in boxers, its gonna be lit

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
honestly, this is probably the best way. Like a solid power hour with six minutes instead of sixty seconds between sips!

That is the best idea and I'm upset I didn't think of it. Totally would have been worth it especially since they don't count spelling errors haha

Does anybody know how campus selection works? I very strongly want to be at the Chicago campus, and I think I’m a strong applicant (got an II on the first day they went out), but I don’t know if that actually changes your chances to choose your campus.

Do II's only come out on Thursday?

EDIT: Jk answered my own question

Last edited:
Does anybody know how campus selection works? I very strongly want to be at the Chicago campus, and I think I’m a strong applicant (got an II on the first day they went out), but I don’t know if that actually changes your chances to choose your campus.

I could be wrong but I remember reading that early in the season, it has to do with ties to the location, like if you already live there or have family there. Later in the season, it's about balance, do they have enough diversity in all of the campuses...

ETA: I don't think being a "strong" applicant has anything to do with where you're placed

I could be wrong but I remember reading that early in the season, it has to do with ties to the location, like if you already live there or have family there. Later in the season, it's about balance, do they have enough diversity in all of the campuses...

ETA: I don't think being a "strong" applicant has anything to do with where you're placed

Hmmmm. Well, I do have a lot of family here AND live here AND grew up here, but I kind of assume that the percentage of people who have ties to Chicago vs. the other campuses is a significantly greater percentage than the number of matriculants at Chicago vs. other campuses. So they must have some other mechanism of choosing as well, I would think.

Anybody know if there are student hosts for interviewees?

should i bother applying here as OOS with a 504 mcat? (28 old)

Hi @medbunny56,

My suggestion is to apply to a private school instead since you're OOS. Your chances would be better and tuition would be lower. If your volunteer hours are really high, then Rush and Loyola are good options--they love service. Otherwise, maybe try Rosalind Franklin. Of course, if you really want UIC then you should go for it. :)

Below is an old post I wrote with some info. Check out the tuition difference!
Just FYI if you wanted specific OOS numbers, you could check out MSAR. I'd look it up for you but my subscription ran out. The percentage is probably not great, but application strength is a big factor too -- a really strong OOS applicant might get in, whereas a middle-of-the-road IS applicant might not. Who knows? I do know, though, that UIC does try to keep their M1 class a certain percentage of in-state and a certain percentage of out-of-state, but I don't know what that ratio is. (They mentioned this in previous years' application threads.)

If you're OOS you might want to consider applying to OOS private schools over OOS state schools. They generally have a higher percentage of OOS acceptances. Also, their tuition might be cheaper.

For example, Loyola charges $54,663 for both in-state and out-of-state, but UIC charges $38,576 in-state but $75,576 for out-of-state. Yikes!

I am OOS and got a 29 on the MCAT and just received an II. It's possible. But I had a lot of ECs and went to a really good school and graduated with honors. It's possible though :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am OOS and got a 29 on the MCAT and just received an II. It's possible. But I had a lot of ECs and went to a really good school and graduated with honors. It's possible though :)

When did you submit secondary/take CASPer?

Anyone who took the casper on 08/11 in process yet?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I have a quick question for anyone who would know or be able to speculate based on what you have heard from other schools. I received my secondary 7/11. Submitted 7/13. Submitted letters 7/19. Found out one of my proffs didn't sign his letter, got it sent in 8/11. Caspered 8/26.
Which of these is my actual completed date that would make a viable candidate for review? Is it when your casper is completed as some have said, or is it when you physically submit your secondary?

Any guidance would be appreciated! ( I don't want to call them and ask why I am still applicant in progress if it I can just find out it's because of CASPER)

Hey Guys,
I have a quick question for anyone who would know or be able to speculate based on what you have heard from other schools. I received my secondary 7/11. Submitted 7/13. Submitted letters 7/19. Found out one of my proffs didn't sign his letter, got it sent in 8/11. Caspered 8/26.
Which of these is my actual completed date that would make a viable candidate for review? Is it when your casper is completed as some have said, or is it when you physically submit your secondary?

Any guidance would be appreciated! ( I don't want to call them and ask why I am still applicant in progress if it I can just find out it's because of CASPER)
All my dates are almost the same as yours and I've called them quite a bit cause I'm ED. I got a few different answers from a few different people but it seems the consensus is that they'll look over your whole application once you're an "applicant in process" but they can't give you an interview until the casper scores get in which should be four weeks after the casper date.

All my dates are almost the same as yours and I've called them quite a bit cause I'm ED. I got a few different answers from a few different people but it seems the consensus is that they'll look over your whole application once you're an "applicant in process" but they can't give you an interview until the casper scores get in which should be four weeks after the casper date.

You're amazing! Thank you, and GOOD LUCK!

II! oos, but grew up and went to high school here :)

I just got an email inviting me to interview! I was waitlisted indefinitely last cycle, sent my secondary on July 28 this cycle, and took my casper July 27.

Received an II today, and am startled by the difference in interview date options. Monday or a month from then? For anyone who also received today, is that what the options looked like this afternoon?