2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats dude. When did you submit secondary, CASPer, stats? If you don't mind.
Thanks dude . I don't remember first two, I'll get back to you. Probably very late submission for secondary cause I was broke at the time. Still am actually. Stats like 76 LizzyM

Sent from my 831C using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
@NUresearcher I spoke to the UIC admissions office and they confirmed that some July 26th CASPer scores are delayed and did not say how long. Hope they get out soon, don't want them affecting our apps any longer.

I'm at "Applicant in Progress". What's interesting is I'm not scheduled to take CASPer until next week. I would have thought that I would show as "Application Not Complete". Does this make sense?

I'm at "Applicant in Progress". What's interesting is I'm not scheduled to take CASPer until next week. I would have thought that I would show as "Application Not Complete". Does this make sense?
It would say applicant in process if you were totally complete

It would say applicant in process if you were totally complete

ImageUploadedBySDN1471973944.324865.jpg

From what I understand, it says progress until you are actually reviewed by the committee, then it says process. Not sure if CASPer changes this up, but you should be complete if it says progress.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think this is entirely accurate anymore. My app says "Applicant in Process", but my CASPer results are still not in yet. When I asked the admissions office they said that your file is not complete nor reviewed until the scores are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
imageuploadedbysdn1471973944-324865-jpg.208244

Mine is reading as: "Applicant in progress". Where does this wording fit in? This is what is showing on my details page, but does not seem to line up with anything here. Should I assume this means that my application is complete, but unreviewed as of now? I did take the July 26th casper so I'm wondering if that is what is holding me up. I had everything in secondary/rec letters wise July 14.

omg the wording of this could not be anymore confusing. is it a secret test to see if we are smart enough for med school?

Reactions: 1 user
It's the state of Illinois, it's not supposed to make sense.

Having worked for UIC, I actually have to say that they are on their A game. This application cycle (and this wording of the process) are just so confusing! It's so nice they provide a page to review where you are in the application process, but it's concerning that mine doesn't line up with anything said.

Also, as far as casper goes I find it hard to believe that test is as important as the MCAT in Canada. I like the idea of it helping to assess your in the moment skills, but I don't know if the format really does that.

Having worked for UIC, I actually have to say that they are on their A game. This application cycle (and this wording of the process) are just so confusing! It's so nice they provide a page to review where you are in the application process, but it's concerning that mine doesn't line up with anything said.

Also, as far as casper goes I find it hard to believe that test is as important as the MCAT in Canada. I like the idea of it helping to assess your in the moment skills, but I don't know if the format really does that.

Agreed, the wording is so confusing. Nobody knows what is going on. At this point as long as it doesn't say "Game over, try again" I'm ok with it. As far as CASPer, I can't imagine it being anywhere near as important as the MCAT. Is it really that big of a deal up north?

imageuploadedbysdn1471973944-324865-jpg.208244

Mine is reading as: "Applicant in progress". Where does this wording fit in? This is what is showing on my details page, but does not seem to line up with anything here. Should I assume this means that my application is complete, but unreviewed as of now? I did take the July 26th casper so I'm wondering if that is what is holding me up. I had everything in secondary/rec letters wise July 14.

Hi guys,

Everyone was confused on "Applicant in Progress" in last year's thread too. :confused: Here's a link to one of the posts:
2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

And here's what someone said:
So applicant in progress=your app is sitting in a pile waiting to be reviewed.

Applicant in process=they are reviewing your app.

Application in process=on hold for rereview.

I think in that same thread somewhere someone said that they went from "Applicant in Progress" back to "Applicant in Process" or something like that. Of course take all this info with a grain of salt because I think a lot of this information was just pieced together throughout the years from other applicants. Who knows what's really accurate or hearsay? And now that CASPer is new, we don't really know how that factors into these statuses. In any case, I thought I'd just pass this along. For the most part, though, the flowchart seemed to be generally correct -- at least last year. Seriously though... sometimes those status updates are both a blessing and a curse. Every now and then it updates and you get a glimmer of hope, but most of the time you end up logging in every hour to see the same status over and over. It's torture, but you can't stop.

Maybe someone who's keeping an eye on their status changes this year can update/verify the flowchart as their statuses progress? That might ease the pain for others in the future.

Hi guys,

Everyone was confused on "Applicant in Progress" in last year's thread too. :confused: Here's a link to one of the posts:
2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

And here's what someone said:

THANK YOU! so much! At least now I know I'm hanging out with some other files and not in a weird limbo. I'll be happy to keep you guys up to date with a flow chart if someone else doesn't beat me to it. This whole process is so humbling and a great reminder how helpful small favors can be in someone else's life!

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed, the wording is so confusing. Nobody knows what is going on. At this point as long as it doesn't say "Game over, try again" I'm ok with it. As far as CASPer, I can't imagine it being anywhere near as important as the MCAT. Is it really that big of a deal up north?

ImageUploadedBySDN1471990535.773520.jpg

McMaster weighs it equally with the MCAT and GPA. They have done the most research on it and find that it predicts medical career success.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Curious what other schools in the US are doing. I've heard mixed things about UIC, one person told me it was being used to evaluate, another that it was just used for statistics in preparation for next year's cycle.

For those who got II's, how do you select an interview date? Everything seems to be colored but there's no where to press the date to confirm. I'm confused. :/

II right now! Casper July 10th, complete a couple days before that. In state

I'm applying early decision and my status is now "Applicant in Process" as of yesterday. However, I haven't even taken the Caspar test (test date is August 30). I really screwed up and didn't read the application requirements carefully until a few weeks ago, despite it being the only school I'm applying to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I called the office yesterday and, like everyone else said, they won't consider you application until the Caspar scores are in. So I'm assuming the "Applicant in Process" status is gonna stay that way for the next month or two. Currently trying to withdraw my Early Decision status as now it's completely pointless.

Their only interview options are on dates I already have interviews scheduled for, but UIC is like one of my number 1 choice schools. Would it hurt me a lot to ask them to schedule a later one?

Their only interview options are on dates I already have interviews scheduled for, but UIC is like one of my number 1 choice schools. Would it hurt me a lot to ask them to schedule a later one?
they told me on the phone more dates will be added and to keep checking the portal

Ok, cannot remember where I read this, BUT, doesn't UIC'S committee meet the 3rd Thursday of every month to make admissions decisions once interviews start?

Ok, cannot remember where I read this, BUT, doesn't UIC'S committee meet the 3rd Thursday of every month to make admissions decisions once interviews start?

Yeah, they did last year. It seems like some II's went out after this month's third Thursday too so maybe it's the same for II's as well.

Thanks! Called today to schedule. Complete ~7/14, IS. Good luck everyone!!! :D

Where do you guys see your statuses such as applicant in progress? When I go to the supplemental application status tab, all I see are checked check boxes and a footer that says that my application has been successfully submitted. I submitted mid July.

Where do you guys see your statuses such as applicant in progress? When I go to the supplemental application status tab, all I see are checked check boxes and a footer that says that my application has been successfully submitted. I submitted mid July.

There are two e-mails that UIC sent. One discusses the secondary app, but the first talks about how you can check your status. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll PM you the link.

There are two e-mails that UIC sent. One discusses the secondary app, but the first talks about how you can check your status. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll PM you the link.
Thanks, I found it in my email!

II, Submitted 7/14, CASPer 7/10 and delivered around 8/2, OOS.

Last edited:
II, complete 7/12, CASPER 7/10, IS

II today!

complete 7/2, casper 7/10.

Last edited:
Has anyone who took CASPer July 26th gotten an interview yet or inquired about when we'll be complete? Asking because I will be in Chicago for another interview in September so I'm considering sending an "in the area" update, but it's hard to tell if they even have my CASPer score/if I'm complete yet with the weird statuses and I don't want to jump the gun

II... applied MSTP but did not specify MSTP in email.... should I assume it is MD/PhD invite as well?