2016-2017 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. OOS. 3.63 cGPA. 508 MCAT. I will be declining it so there will be at least some wait list movement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions- does anyone know if UAMS does a "second look" day for accepted students and their families? And do any current students or local applicants have any advice on apartments to look into?

Two questions- does anyone know if UAMS does a "second look" day for accepted students and their families? And do any current students or local applicants have any advice on apartments to look into?

I'm really not sure if they have a second look weekend, but I do know they have weekends for undergraduate students who want to learn more about UAMS. Maybe it would be possible for you to schedule a visit?

I know that I was very disappointed at the lack of information provided when interviewing at UAMS. I would have liked to learn more about life in LR, financial aid, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really not sure if they have a second look weekend, but I do know they have weekends for undergraduate students who want to learn more about UAMS. Maybe it would be possible for you to schedule a visit?

I know that I was very disappointed at the lack of information provided when interviewing at UAMS. I would have liked to learn more about life in LR, financial aid, etc...
At some point in the near future the current freshman class in cooperation with the admissions office will establish a Facebook page for the incoming freshmen. It will likely be a month or so before they can release the names of those accepted to the freshman class. The office is appropriately protective of that confidential list of names. The FB page will be an excellent resource for recommendations for housing (Hillcrest is hot!), used books, social engagements, etc. The COM doesn't have an official second look, but it is an open campus so you can see a lot on your own. Approximately early June, you will receive a booklist and detailed information on orientation and other good stuff. Within the next few months you will also receive mail regarding the mandatory Friday morning registration (no show, no go!), the Friday evening White Coat Ceremony (your family will love this big deal), and Saturday morning's Freshman Family Day that will be great for your extended family members. The Office of Financial Aid will begin to process loans but you must first do the FAFSA. Federal Stafford Loans typically cover your Cost of Attendance which can be found on the website. This all seems so overwhelming right now, but trust me, all the pieces will begin to fall into place. This is a time to just relish your accomplishments, finish strong, and get ready for college on steroids! Enjoy this time.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks! Will probably end up doing that, but I didn't want to do that and miss out on a day to meet some people in our class.

At some point in the near future the current freshman class in cooperation with the admissions office will establish a Facebook page for the incoming freshmen. It will likely be a month or so before they can release the names of those accepted to the freshman class. The office is appropriately protective of that confidential list of names. The FB page will be an excellent resource for recommendations for housing (Hillcrest is hot!), used books, social engagements, etc. The COM doesn't have an official second look, but it is an open campus so you can see a lot on your own. Approximately early June, you will receive a booklist and detailed information on orientation and other good stuff. Within the next few months you will also receive mail regarding the mandatory Friday morning registration (no show, no go!), the Friday evening White Coat Ceremony (your family will love this big deal), and Saturday morning's Freshman Family Day that will be great for your extended family members. The Office of Financial Aid will begin to process loans but you must first do the FAFSA. Federal Stafford Loans typically cover your Cost of Attendance which can be found on the website. This all seems so overwhelming right now, but trust me, all the pieces will begin to fall into place. This is a time to just relish your accomplishments, finish strong, and get ready for college on steroids! Enjoy this time.
Thank you!!

Accepted!!!! So shocked and so happy. I went to Wesleyan University, am an AR resident, URM, 1st gen, research from sophomore to senior year including both summers, wrote an ~80 page senior thesis with high honors in molecular biology and biochemistry, published as first author in a science journal, 3.7 overall, 3.5 science, 499 MCAT! I seriously can't believe I got in

Anyone have coat size recommendations? Is it like dress sizes?

Alternate list, 517 MCAT, non-traditional student, many years of research and multiple publications, Arkansas resident for several years

Anyone have coat size recommendations? Is it like dress sizes?

I am relatively small but I prefer coats oversized, so I went with an 8? I figured I could get it taken in if it's too big.

Congratulations to everyone! I will be house hunting in Little Rock this weekend. Got my financial aid packet today. We need to get a group me going soon! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Reactions: 3 users

I'm not sure why the office would protective of the list of names. I have been accepted at another institution and they have already started a Facebook group with everyone who has been accepted and it has been functioning great for all of the potential students! The group also has current medical schools in it who can help with housing and other advice.

I'm not sure why the office would protective of the list of names. I have been accepted at another institution and they have already started a Facebook group with everyone who has been accepted and it has been functioning great for all of the potential students! The group also has current medical schools in it who can help with housing and other advice.
Each school has its own policies. I can assure you that once the FB page is up and running, it will serve you well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received anymore information since the acceptance?

So they said that around 50 people are on the alternate list. Does anyone know around how many people make it off the alternate list each year? I reallyyy want to go to Little Rock, but am accepted elsewhere. Thank God.

So they said that around 50 people are on the alternate list. Does anyone know around how many people make it off the alternate list each year? I reallyyy want to go to Little Rock, but am accepted elsewhere. Thank God.

I believe it just depends on the people that year. Mrs. Henson said that there were 15 to defer last year and then an additional 10-15 that rejected their acceptance. She said a few years ago that they went through almost the entire alternate list. Look for most of the movement to be after April 30th. I can verify that the alternate list is no longer frozen. I received my acceptance letter yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users

Did you also ask earlier if being OOS put you on the bottom of the waitlist? Maybe EducatedGuesser can clarify, but I believe because of the proportions from certain districts and from OOS that UAMS is supposed to accept, if someone from District 1 gives up their spot, they are replaced with the next student on the waitlist from District 1. If someone from OOS gives up their spot, another OOS person replaces them, etc. I could be wrong, but that was always my impression of how it worked.

I’m currently an M4 if you guys have any questions. :hello:

Did you also ask earlier if being OOS put you on the bottom of the waitlist? Maybe EducatedGuesser can clarify, but I believe because of the proportions from certain districts and from OOS that UAMS is supposed to accept, if someone from District 1 gives up their spot, they are replaced with the next student on the waitlist from District 1. If someone from OOS gives up their spot, another OOS person replaces them, etc. I could be wrong, but that was always my impression of how it worked.

I’m currently an M4 if you guys have any questions. :hello:
Super excited to get started! A few questions for you-

1) Do you have any recommendations on apartments to look into?
2) How easy/difficult is it to get involved with research?
3) Are the Match Day results released or kept private?

Hopefully you get a better answer, but I know for a fact that the match results are public. I have found them online for 2011 ish- 2016. It is a list with all UAMS graduates and the program and school they got into.

I am not sure the 2017 results are online anywhere yet. But I did read an article that this year every UAMS graduate matched. Which is pretty cool.

Hopefully you get a better answer, but I know for a fact that the match results are public. I have found them online for 2011 ish- 2016. It is a list with all UAMS graduates and the program and school they got into.

I am not sure the 2017 results are online anywhere yet. But I did read an article that this year every UAMS graduate matched. Which is pretty cool.

Dang, the only list I've been able to find online is from 2012! I've got some looking to do then. I appreciate it!

Dang, the only list I've been able to find online is from 2012! I've got some looking to do then. I appreciate it!

I forgot they were kind of sneaky. So 2011 and 2012 are easy if you google UAMS match day results. After that I think thy may have started including the results in with the next year's catalog. For example the results from the 2016 match are at the end of the 2016- 2017 catalog.

I forgot they were kind of sneaky. So 2011 and 2012 are easy if you google UAMS match day results. After that I think thy may have started including the results in with the next year's catalog. For example the results from the 2016 match are at the end of the 2016- 2017 catalog.

Perfect! Thanks a ton!

3) I'll answer 3 first since you guys were already talking about it.
Yes, match rate was 100% after SOAP (scramble) this year. It's apparently the first time in 10 years - and even then it wasn't a regular happening. So needless to say, we're pretty proud. -- They are released, but I'm noticing similar things that you guys were referring to - they are now being posted in the academic catalogs as opposed to their own PDF's online.

1) There's a lot of medical students and residents that live at The Pointe at Brodie Creek in WLR - I live here at the moment. There's also a new related complex that went in right across the street called Bowman Pointe. I also know some classmates live in the Park Avenue Lofts in Midtown. There are also several apartment complexes in the Riverdale neighborhood where med students live. I also have a few classmates I know of that live in apartment complexes downtown/Rivermarket. I think the vast majority of students though live in rented houses in Hillcrest. I did my first three years of medical school. If you're splitting the rent with one or two other people, those are, most of the time, your most affordable options. I think the biggest considerations for Little Rock are: how much you can spend, who you are splitting rent with and how much they can spend, apartment versus house, and if you are willing to commute or not. Areas to generally avoid: South of I-630, and probably North of I-630 between University Avenue and I-430.

2) I don't feel it's that difficult at all. Now, if you want to get paid for it, that's a different story. They do have Honors in Research, which should still be offering a stipend, to do research between M1 and M2 year. It has varied in the past as to what the academic requirements were to be involved. But to be involved in research in general, I honestly feel like it's as easy as approaching someone and asking if you can be involved. I did some bench research in-between M1 and M2 year just by approaching a professor and asking. I have another friend who during third year asked if she could be involved in a project in each rotation that she particularly enjoyed - and by the end of last year she was involved in three or four projects.

3) I'll answer 3 first since you guys were already talking about it.
Yes, match rate was 100% after SOAP (scramble) this year. It's apparently the first time in 10 years - and even then it wasn't a regular happening. So needless to say, we're pretty proud. -- They are released, but I'm noticing similar things that you guys were referring to - they are now being posted in the academic catalogs as opposed to their own PDF's online.

1) There's a lot of medical students and residents that live at The Pointe at Brodie Creek in WLR - I live here at the moment. There's also a new related complex that went in right across the street called Bowman Pointe. I also know some classmates live in the Park Avenue Lofts in Midtown. There are also several apartment complexes in the Riverdale neighborhood where med students live. I also have a few classmates I know of that live in apartment complexes downtown/Rivermarket. I think the vast majority of students though live in rented houses in Hillcrest. I did my first three years of medical school. If you're splitting the rent with one or two other people, those are, most of the time, your most affordable options. I think the biggest considerations for Little Rock are: how much you can spend, who you are splitting rent with and how much they can spend, apartment versus house, and if you are willing to commute or not. Areas to generally avoid: South of I-630, and probably North of I-630 between University Avenue and I-430.

2) I don't feel it's that difficult at all. Now, if you want to get paid for it, that's a different story. They do have Honors in Research, which should still be offering a stipend, to do research between M1 and M2 year. It has varied in the past as to what the academic requirements were to be involved. But to be involved in research in general, I honestly feel like it's as easy as approaching someone and asking if you can be involved. I did some bench research in-between M1 and M2 year just by approaching a professor and asking. I have another friend who during third year asked if she could be involved in a project in each rotation that she particularly enjoyed - and by the end of last year she was involved in three or four projects.
Thank you for all of the great info! I really appreciate it! Congrats on matching!

Thank you for all of the great info! I really appreciate it! Congrats on matching!

If you have some patience and free time, this is "technically" the match list.

Does anyone know what orientation week is like? My parents would like to come in a few days early from out of state for the white coat ceremony. But if we're busy all day and evening I don't want them to bother. I'm thinking there's the first aid class, and I've heard about possibly some evening activities ?

Accepted off the wait list yesterday. OOS. Didn't think I would hear back this early, or at all..! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Does anyone know what orientation week is like? My parents would like to come in a few days early from out of state for the white coat ceremony. But if we're busy all day and evening I don't want them to bother. I'm thinking there's the first aid class, and I've heard about possibly some evening activities ?

Orientation is jam packed with some exciting activities and some very routine but necessary activities. Orientation to the campus, the library/resources, parking, police, HR, student health, ID cards, HIPAA regs, TB tests, etc. Lunch is usually provided by a sponsor (yum stuff) and rising M2s are totally involved and available to help when you would prefer to just melt down. They will have a "grease" sale where you can buy their used anatomy books, shoes, scrubs, etc. But stay the course as it's all necessary stuff! That happens Tuesday through Thursday. The current med students usually have evening social events scheduled. Some are adult only but I think they usually have some fun family-type fun, too. By the end, you will be so over orientation but so ready to begin med school! Pace yourself. Friday is MANDATORY orientation. NO exceptions. No show. No go. For real. Friday evening is the White Coat Ceremony. Your "village" will love this event, so bring them all. Saturday morn is Freshman Family Day. There will be tours for fam members to see a bit of the campus - never enough - talks by the big whigs, free box lunch and an introduction to the Parents Club. The PC really supports the students! The gave us $50K a few years back to completely furnish the med-student-only-24-hr-access student room, complete with PCs, conference table, huge copy machine and paper (free!), fridge, microwave and sometimes they even fill the table with snacks! I think you can find time to fit your parents in for a meal to two. It would just be fun for them to hang out in LR, especially if they grab a downtown hotel room. Lots of eats and things to see, including the Clinton Library. I'm sure some students can weigh in with more. You will begin receiving more detailed emails about these events in June or so. Seriously, they will tell you everything you need to know - it just won't feel like it. <smile>

Reactions: 3 users
Orientation is jam packed with some exciting activities and some very routine but necessary activities. Orientation to the campus, the library/resources, parking, police, HR, student health, ID cards, HIPAA regs, TB tests, etc. Lunch is usually provided by a sponsor (yum stuff) and rising M2s are totally involved and available to help when you would prefer to just melt down. They will have a "grease" sale where you can buy their used anatomy books, shoes, scrubs, etc. But stay the course as it's all necessary stuff! That happens Tuesday through Thursday. The current med students usually have evening social events scheduled. Some are adult only but I think they usually have some fun family-type fun, too. By the end, you will be so over orientation but so ready to begin med school! Pace yourself. Friday is MANDATORY orientation. NO exceptions. No show. No go. For real. Friday evening is the White Coat Ceremony. Your "village" will love this event, so bring them all. Saturday morn is Freshman Family Day. There will be tours for fam members to see a bit of the campus - never enough - talks by the big whigs, free box lunch and an introduction to the Parents Club. The PC really supports the students! The gave us $50K a few years back to completely furnish the med-student-only-24-hr-access student room, complete with PCs, conference table, huge copy machine and paper (free!), fridge, microwave and sometimes they even fill the table with snacks! I think you can find time to fit your parents in for a meal to two. It would just be fun for them to hang out in LR, especially if they grab a downtown hotel room. Lots of eats and things to see, including the Clinton Library. I'm sure some students can weigh in with more. You will begin receiving more detailed emails about these events in June or so. Seriously, they will tell you everything you need to know - it just won't feel like it. <smile>
Do you happen to know if we should expect freshman scholarship results around the same time period?

Do you happen to know if we should expect freshman scholarship results around the same time period?
The Scholarship Committee usually meets as soon as they can. If they haven't met yet, they will soon. You can check the due date (April?) on your scholarship application and expect the committee will begin meeting soon thereafter. They will award and notify by mail and then continue to meet over the coming months until all scholarships are awarded. If someone defers or declines who had been awarded a scholarship, the money goes back into the pot to be awarded again. Bw sure to maintain your current address in the AMCAS application as they will use your preferred mailing address. Good luck!

This was super helpful. Thanks so much !

The Scholarship Committee usually meets as soon as they can. If they haven't met yet, they will soon. You can check the due date (April?) on your scholarship application and expect the committee will begin meeting soon thereafter. They will award and notify by mail and then continue to meet over the coming months until all scholarships are awarded. If someone defers or declines who had been awarded a scholarship, the money goes back into the pot to be awarded again. Bw sure to maintain your current address in the AMCAS application as they will use your preferred mailing address. Good luck!
Awesome! Thank you!

Anyone see the bill that passed in the Arkansas House of Rep a couple of days ago? It was a repeal of the law on the required congressional district selection. It just has to pass in the Senate now.

Anyone see the bill that passed in the Arkansas House of Rep a couple of days ago? It was a repeal of the law on the required congressional district selection. It just has to pass in the Senate now.
Yeah, apparently the senate will take a look at it Monday 3/27. I think it's a good law but I understand both sides of the argument. We'll have to see what happens.

Yeah, apparently the senate will take a look at it Monday 3/27. I think it's a good law but I understand both sides of the argument. We'll have to see what happens.
Agreed. If there's ever been a argument to do it, I can't see a more fitting one than now having 2 more schools on each side of the state though. It will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out

Agreed. If there's ever been a argument to do it, I can't see a more fitting one than now having 2 more schools on each side of the state though. It will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out
looks like the senate is passing it. I guess as early as the next cycle, UAMS won't have to choose from all 4 districts.

There was movement on the alternate list. I received my acceptance letter this past Friday! I can not wait to get to Little Rock and start this crazy journey.

OOS here from Missouri. 3.75 gpa, 508 MCAT

Okay this is mostly to the people who are from the LR area. I have a tiny home and am wondering if anyone knows of any possible places that I could put it.. I know that is a random question but it is compatible for RV parks/ Mobile home parks/ or really anywhere with electric/water/sewer. I do not mind parting with my tiny home and getting an apartment, but would prefer to move it with me.

I just don't want to be in an unsafe area, or somewhere far from the city. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks

Accepted today off wait list! Can't wait to meet y'all.

For those accepted of alternate list: did you all receive your acceptances by mail or email?

Hey everyone! Congrats on your acceptances, and hope the first year went well! I am a current applicant and I have a quick question: So if I have no ties to Arkansas whatsoever, should I even bother applying? I'm OOS with literally zero ties but a good "story" (two time cancer survivor, chronic bone disease, started a foundation for research, etc.), 3.34 uGPA, did a post bac that I did well in and was at the top of my class (3.95 GPA), lot of community service/leadership/etc., decent MCAT score for this school (507 so not great but not bad), and great ECs/LORs/etc. Any thoughts? I have lived and gone to school in the northeast my whole life but really want to go to medical school in the south/midwest. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Congrats on your acceptances, and hope the first year went well! I am a current applicant and I have a quick question: So if I have no ties to Arkansas whatsoever, should I even bother applying? I'm OOS with literally zero ties but a good "story" (two time cancer survivor, chronic bone disease, started a foundation for research, etc.), 3.34 uGPA, did a post bac that I did well in and was at the top of my class (3.95 GPA), lot of community service/leadership/etc., decent MCAT score for this school (507 so not great but not bad), and great ECs/LORs/etc. Any thoughts? I have lived and gone to school in the northeast my whole life but really want to go to medical school in the south/midwest. Thanks!
Hello,
Ties to AR can be more than family ties. Have you ever been to AR? Have you done a educational program here? Or anything? Are you from surrounding states? Is there a good reason why you want to come here? If you never been here at all, It can be very hard to get accepted to UAMS. Out of 174 people there are about 10 people who got accepted from out of state mostly from neighboring states the ones that I have talked to have been to AR before. Good luck.