2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! What's the order of operations here? I have the the "file was complete mm/dd/yyyy" portal update. Does this mean that my application has been reviewed or just an acknowledgment of all my accompanying letters, mcat, transcripts, etc. being compiled?

Any insight and speculation is appreciated.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! What's the order of operations here? I have the the "file was complete mm/dd/yyyy" portal update. Does this mean that my application has been reviewed or just an acknowledgment of all my accompanying letters, mcat, transcripts, etc. being compiled?

Cheers

From reading previous years' threads, it seems like the "file complete xxxxx" is just the standard status for all of your material being received. I believe the next possible occurrence is either an II (could be months) or rejection towards the end of the cycle? Don't think pre-interview rejections are common until later in season.

Cheers

Hi, a photo is attached of my portal (interview date redacted for privacy)

- Preliminary application information received from AMCAS: Yes
- A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 7/15/2016.
- Your secondary application has been processed.
- Your file was complete on 8/26/2016.
- Your interview has been scheduled for XX/XX/XXXX

I received an interview invite around 9/20. I am IS, non traditional and I interviewed last year as well - didn't get in then obviously. As everyone has been saying, admissions is absolutely swamped so don't read too much into the long waits. File being complete is a good sign and one step before interview.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

IMG_9055.PNG

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody has been accepted/rejected/put on hold yet, correct?

Interviewed 9/23. Holding my breath!

Is it weird that I submitted 8/19 and am still not complete? Just wondering

Anyone submit secondary MONTHS ago and still not processed?

Reactions: 1 user
To those not complete, don't be in despair! It took me a little over 2 months!

Could you expand on it being a good sign? Doesn't everyone get completed?

I'm not sure if everyone gets completed but I think you are correct. Yes that was confusing sorry, I just meant that being complete is the last thing they do before offering you an interview, if you get one.

Any WICHE folks here? I submitted my WICHE verification a couple weeks ago, got an immediate automatic response, but the portal still says I need to submit... How long did the process take for you?

II!! Complete 08/03. Available dates pretty much every week in November :) OOS, but mission-based

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm super excited to be interviewing here MD/PhD in October! Does anyone happen to know (maybe current students?) if it's possible or likely that if you aren't admitted MD/PhD that you can still be accepted MD only? I know OHSU interviews 60-70 MD/PhD and matriculates 5, so wasn't sure if a large portion of the rejected-post-interview students were rejected MD/PhD applicants.

I was initially accepted MD and put on hold for the PhD. I eventually got accepted into MD/PhD, but it seems like it may happen. That being said, I haven't talked to any classmates that were just MD that applied MD/PhD.

Awful quiet round here. Assuming nobody has any word (accept/hold/reject) yet post-interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

why this school trolling us... complete july and not processed. i'm a decent applicant and in a mission group so it seems weird to me. called them awhile ago and they said don't worry, lots of apps...it can't possibly take 4 months. anyone called recently or have updates?

why this school trolling us... complete july and not processed. i'm a decent applicant and in a mission group so it seems weird to me. called them awhile ago and they said don't worry, lots of apps...it can't possibly take 4 months. anyone called recently or have updates?
My app has also not been processed and I have been complete since July 20th...have people complete after us received an II?

I turned in my application August 24 and I'm pretty sure I'm not even complete yet.

My app has also not been processed and I have been complete since July 20th...have people complete after us received an II?
I've been waiting since late July too. My only guess is that they're getting through IS and maybe Oregon Heritage, before they get to the other mission groups and OOS. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself to not freak out. Hopefully we'll hear by mid-November, or I'm going to get worried that they forgot my app.

Just checked portal - on hold

No news for me yet. I interviewed on the 23rd, did you interview before then? I wonder if we will all be getting updates today, or just the first interview group.

Any news from anyone else?

No news for me yet. I interviewed on the 23rd, did you interview before then? I wonder if we will all be getting updates today, or just the first interview group.

Any news from anyone else?

Also interviewed 9/23. No news yet. Probably just 9/16 for now, but at least they are moving! Hoping for news soon so I can stop obsessively checking my portal.

Talked to admissions today... They said no news is good news when it comes to interview invites because they're still working on completing applications

I have so much good news
Same. My cup runneth over with all this good news.
Do I exist? Did I forget to give a proper email to all 15 schools? Does my committee letter say I'm a neurotic psychopath?
Where is the love?

Reactions: 2 users
Randomly checked the portal and saw that my application had (finally) been marked complete on Oct 31st after I submitted my secondary back on August 5th. OOS, but fall into the academic mission-based group.

Does anyone recall what they said at interview day regarding when we'd hear back? The packet they gave out says 4-6 weeks, but for some reason I feel like they said 8-12 at the interview. I'm sitting at 6 weeks right now. Very impatiently waiting!

Does anyone recall what they said at interview day regarding when we'd hear back? The packet they gave out says 4-6 weeks, but for some reason I feel like they said 8-12 at the interview. I'm sitting at 6 weeks right now. Very impatiently waiting!

I recall the EM doc (I think he was head of the ADCOM?) saying they would try to get back to us in 1-2 months. I think I may have been in the same interview group as you!

I was about dead on 5 weeks to being put into hold pool. Never got a notification, just my portal

I was about dead on 5 weeks to being put into hold pool. Never got a notification, just my portal

when were you complete exactly? IS or OOS? mission group? oh i hate this game

I find it odd that only a few people have heard any sort of decision from the interview dates between 9/16 - 9/23 and no one has posted about being accepted. I interviewed on 9/23 and got a hold status on 10/25. Just curious as to what this means in the context of most other people from the 23rd not having heard yet. Could his mean that I'm not even in the discussion to get an immediate acceptance (while most other people are still getting discussed)?

I find it odd that only a few people have heard any sort of decision from the interview dates between 9/16 - 9/23 and no one has posted about being accepted. I interviewed on 9/23 and got a hold status on 10/25. Just curious as to what this means in the context of most other people from the 23rd not having heard yet. Could his mean that I'm not even in the discussion to get an immediate acceptance (while most other people are still getting discussed)?

Interviewed 9/23 and crickets. What the heck?!

I think they mentioned that if your interviewer wasn't able to attend ADCOM meetings your application would be on hold until they attended the next meeting.

I think they mentioned that if your interviewer wasn't able to attend ADCOM meetings your application would be on hold until they attended the next meeting.

Like actually on hold? As in hold status? Or just stuck in limbo? Because I am the latter. I was thinking that my 1-on-1 interviewer may not have been able to attend a meeting yet (very busy lady, had to go up to the hill to meet her for my interview), and that might be why I haven't heard when others have..but I'm not on hold, just silence.

I thought I heard 4-8 weeks? But I'm not sure! I'm also getting impatient haha. :p

Is "on hold" the same thing as wait listed?

Not quite. They said they only accept/reject a small percentage of those who interview right away, and the rest are put "on hold" to be compared all together after everyone has interviewed. Then in late April, the hold people will get accepted, rejected, or truly be wait listed.

Like actually on hold? As in hold status? Or just stuck in limbo? Because I am the latter. I was thinking that my 1-on-1 interviewer may not have been able to attend a meeting yet (very busy lady, had to go up to the hill to meet her for my interview), and that might be why I haven't heard when others have..but I'm not on hold, just silence.

And btw I also interviewed on 9/23 and I also am in limbo haha. No update of any kind. I guess that's technically better than being rejected haha but I'd really love to know!

Sorry, should have specified. This is my understanding of OHSU's process: if you're in limbo, it is due to your interviewer not being available when the adcom meets. If you're truly given the hold status, your interviewer was present, you weren't outright accepted/rejected, and you will be re-reviewed at subsequent meetings.

They also stressed they are on "modified rolling admissions" to give people later in the cycle a more fair shot - that's why so many people end up in the hold pool.

Yeah their interviewers are crazy busy (for 1 on 1)...mine hadn't even seen my application so that was interesting. It was basically - "so tell me about yourself/your story" with some conversations back and forth. It def. threw me off at first - as I was not expecting that obviously

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Not quite. They said they only accept/reject a small percentage of those who interview right away, and the rest are put "on hold" to be compared all together after everyone has interviewed. Then in late April, the hold people will get accepted, rejected, or truly be wait listed.

Last edited:
While this is great for people who submitted their apps later and have later interviews, this just seems baffling from the perspective of actually acquiring the best candidates. It seems like anyone who got an acceptance to a similarly regarded school before April would accept that offer before waiting for OHSU to get back to them. It just seems like they'd miss out on a lot of people by not giving more immediate acceptances.

they might define "best candidates" as those who really want to go to ohsu bc of its missions and ideals and not someone who probably could've been happier somewhere else

they might define "best candidates" as those who really want to go to ohsu bc of its missions and ideals and not someone who probably could've been happier somewhere else
I agree. If you still really like the school and you were accepted elsewhere, odds are you would still go to a later interview to check them out. I love their school, so I'd still go even if it was one of their last interviews.

I will still go even if I'm pulled from the alternate list in July. I hope they know that. Concerned I didn't express my ridiculous desire to go there during the interview. But maybe I did? Its such a blur.

I called admissions today. They said timeframe to hear back is 4-8 weeks, unless your interviewer is insanely busy. I'm at 6 weeks tomorrow. so hopefully soon? but my interviewer IS crazy busy. bah.

They have a normal yield rate - so that would tend to show that their process doesn't effect their ability to get candidates to matriculate later in the cycle (I specifically asked about their yield rate). However, it would be missing those who withdrew post interview pre - April, so that could skew things. But my guess is they've found they don't have any issues, otherwise why would they do it?

My guess is it makes their yield rate much better. They rank applicants, so come up with a historically proven baseline score of say 50-80% of the class and accept everyone above that.

I think it shows a lack of consideration for the candidates.

Agreed. As much as I love the school, I really don't like the 80% hold pool system. It makes it hard for us to plan our lives, if most candidates don't know until SO late in the cycle, and have no clarity into when they may get a real decision. Its fine to not announce decisions until later in the cycle, with a set date -- many schools do this -- but leaving so many people in the dark in regards to when they may get a decision is inconsiderate.

While I agree, it also seems more fair system allowing people later in the cycle a reasonable chance. I mean often getting a late II isn't anything to do with the applicant - and more just how fast they can get through secondaries.

But agreed - especially for people like me that have a significant-other and own a home. That's a lot of things having to deal with in a short amount of time.