2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Born in Oregon, grew up in Oregon, graduated from University of Oregon, but completed an OOS post-bacc program, and as I just finished the post-bacc, still living OOS. Worried they won't consider me a resident anymore after reading the state residency brochure, but fingers crossed! Dream school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Born in Oregon, grew up in Oregon, graduated from University of Oregon, but completed an OOS post-bacc program, and as I just finished the post-bacc, still living OOS. Worried they won't consider me a resident anymore after reading the state residency brochure, but fingers crossed! Dream school.

You are good to go. OHSU considers you Oregon heritage, good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they have a heritage category for those that graduated hs in Oregon.
http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/st...load/Oregon-Heritage-Policy_2021012_Final.pdf

They do have the heritage program, but I'm concerned about being lumped into that category vs OR resident category -- the odds are very much more in the favor of in-state applicants, not to mention the cheaper in-state tuition. But I'll take what I can get!! I called the admissions office but had to leave a message. We will see what they say

Did you change your residency status (register to vote in new state/register car in new state/pay resident taxes of new state)? If you didn't do any of these, you should probably be fine and still considered as IS. I know this is at least how UW sees it, I'm not 100% about OHSU.

Did you change your residency status (register to vote in new state/register car in new state/pay resident taxes of new state)? If you didn't do any of these, you should probably be fine and still considered as IS. I know this is at least how UW sees it, I'm not 100% about OHSU.

I did not. Registered to vote in OR, OR drivers license, OR plates on my vehicle still. But apparently thats not how OHSU classifies residency. Its more about where your financial resources come from. I haven't been working in MN and was still considered my mother's dependent this last year, so I SHOULD be ok? I'm worried though, because as of now I am done with school and just started scribing full time in MN, so cannot be considered my mom' dependent for the upcoming year. Here's to hoping they consider tax years for this purpose!

Is Oregon worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission and I have family in Oregon.

Last edited:
Is UW worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission and I have family in Oregon.
I would.

Is Oregon worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission and I have family in Oregon.
A fair number of people have told me to forget about it, but I'm applying anyways because gosh darn it, OHSU is AMAZING! I have comparable numbers and family in Oregon too. As a fellow Californian, I say go for it!

Assuming the prompts are the same as last year, how are people interpreting the " What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?" prompt?

I'm not sure if I should approach this as "insight into the TYPES of patients I want to serve, or insights into the patients themselves....

this secondary is hard.

Assuming the prompts are the same as last year, how are people interpreting the " What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?" prompt?

I'm not sure if I should approach this as "insight into the TYPES of patients I want to serve, or insights into the patients themselves....

this secondary is hard.

I had the EXACT same issue last year! That phrasing could not be more awkward

I'm a Californian too. 3.8 GPA with 515 MCAT. No ties with Oregon at all, but would like to apply. I don't want to throw my money away so should I still apply?

^ It's throwing money away. They only take a couple people outside their special "groups" (such as heritage) - look at their page.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ It's throwing money away. They only take a couple people outside their special "groups" (such as heritage) - look at their page.
Thank you for your honest reply. I looked through their website and they say that in addition to people with Oregon connection, they give preference to "Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences." "Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 32 or higher (for MCATs taken from January 1, 2013 through January 31, 2015) or 513 or higher (for MCAT2015) ". My stats are above the numbers they reported on their website. Does it still seem like a long shot?

Portland is perfecto, but I've heard OHSU has mandatory attendance, ABCDF grading, and very poor financial aid. What do you all think are its redeeming qualities?

Portland is perfecto, but I've heard OHSU has mandatory attendance, ABCDF grading, and very poor financial aid. What do you all think are its redeeming qualities?

OHSU is pass/fail and lecture attendance is currently optional. We do have other required attendance events like preceptorship, clinical skills labs, and others.

Thank you for your honest reply. I looked through their website and they say that in addition to people with Oregon connection, they give preference to "Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences." "Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 32 or higher (for MCATs taken from January 1, 2013 through January 31, 2015) or 513 or higher (for MCAT2015) ". My stats are above the numbers they reported on their website. Does it still seem like a long shot?

It would depend on the rest of your application. Obviously the more mission groups you fit, the better your chance at a secondary (I personally fit 4). If you feel you have strong letters and a strong application overall, I say go for it. This pretty much goes for any OOS application with strong regional bias. If you got something special going for you, they'll at least consider you for a secondary imho.

I know this is a common question among all schools, but I'm trying to find a good place to talk about it on SDN. It's the diversity question...right now I can think of several ways I would contribute to the diversity of any school, but I'd love some tips/advice. Here are some ideas I've had:

1. How I've responded to deaths in my life (4 people in my high school died who were my friends, teaching me the importance of loving life and doing what you love). My grandmother also died, who had not been diagnosed but had some sort of paranoia that forced my grandpa (who I was close to) to ignore my family for 6 years before finding out she had cancer (I learned to forgive and reform a broken relationship in efforts to comfort her during her last days). I also had a few friends die in college that reinforced my belief and understanding that death in loved ones and friends can teach the living extremely valuable lessons.

2. I was on the board for a non profit organization that sought to build and support quality, sustainable clinics in underserved regions around the world. I visited Ethiopia and met so many people in this culture, opening a window into my life that has changed how I want to practice medicine. I want to seek those underserved communities, and participate in global health exchanges and rotations. I want to be part of doctors without borders, etc.

3. Working with the underserved in a clinical setting exposed me to the language barriers (mostly spanish and cantonese speaking patients) and also the poverty of people in my community. I also learned that despite these obstacles, families can see positivity and are extremely grateful to receive health care. I've learned to make people in this setting at ease and comfortable talking to me, but also I've learned about how age, culture, religion, sexual orientation, education, and family can affect their health and health care choices.

I'm not sure which I should talk about, since the last two I spoke about in my primary application, but not in so much detail for the second one that I talked about how I interacted with people from different backgrounds and how that has humbled me as a person from two doctor parents and who grew up in a primarily white, suburban community. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

OHSU is pass/fail and lecture attendance is currently optional. We do have other required attendance events like preceptorship, clinical skills labs, and others.
Oh wow that's awesome. Know anything about merit based finaid for OOS?

It would depend on the rest of your application. Obviously the more mission groups you fit, the better your chance at a secondary (I personally fit 4). If you feel you have strong letters and a strong application overall, I say go for it. This pretty much goes for any OOS application with strong regional bias. If you got something special going for you, they'll at least consider you for a secondary imho.
OHSU does not prescreen. All applicants will receive a secondary application.

@madforMD - Personally (and this is just me), but I would stay away from "how you've responded to death"....To me, it's kinda this this standard cliche premed thing to talk about - or how a family member got sick, etc.

Secondary received just now! I wonder if they considered me in state?! SO EXCITED because this is my top choice and I want to move back to OR so bad and I pre-wrote most of this secondary.

Just opened it up and there are 12 essay respones. really, there are 6, but each essay prompt has two separate boxes. I really wanted to submit tonight before heading out of town for the weekend but...that seems like a technical error that I should wait for them to sort out.

2016-2017 Prompts:

1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 char)
2. What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 char)
3. Give an example of a time when you tried your best to work with a person or a group but the problems still remained. What did you learn from the experience? (1500 char)
4. Describe a time when you did not receive what you felt you deserved, and how you reacted (1500 char)
5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 char)
6. Please discuss the diversity that you would bring to the OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine. (2000 char)

Optional: Explain your adversity in: Economic, Educational, Cultural, Family (4000 char)

Has anyone else gotten a secondary / is no one else seeing this weird double question thing on the secondary? I have all the questions answered and desperately want to submit before I leave on my trip. I am tempted to just answer them twice as the application appears to be asking for. If theres a technical problem, that's on them.

no 2ndary here either and i was verified day 2

I'm planning on taking two gaps years in order to do research and service. I fell in love with Oregon and am planning (bar disaster) to spend my two gap years in Oregon. I'm originally from NY and am at college on the East Coast. Would spending two years in Oregon (or I guess a little over one by the time of application) give me some validity in stating that I hope to stay in Oregon after medical school?

Hi All - I'm starting at OHSU med school this fall - Oregon native, east coast college, Oregon gap year. If you have any questions about the application process and/or the state/city feel free to message me :) best of luck this year!

About to submit my secondary but was looking over the printed version for completeness..and my short answers end up as one long paragraph where I had spaced them to be two separate ones. Going to submit anyway because I don't know how to prevent this from happening, but does anyone know if it shows up as two paragraphs for the adcom who reads?

If you are going to pre-write anything, it's this one. It's kinda a monster.

No 2ndary yet here either

Super exited to finally apply to OHSU, just got my secondary yesterday morning 7/11/16 and submitted it back to them that evening. I hope the essay prompts were addressed well, there really tough questions. I found it hard to answer them honestly without being overly negative.

Man, this is a long secondary. I really like this school but also I am bit discouraged about applying by the fact that I have zero ties to the state of Oregon, other than the fact that I love the state and used to snowboard there in the summers.

I do fit the "Non-resident applicant with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences," with a 3.97 gpa, 518 MCAT, and pretty interesting ECs. Anyone have any insight on whether my numbers could save me at all for this school??

Man, this is a long secondary. I really like this school but also I am bit discouraged about applying by the fact that I have zero ties to the state of Oregon, other than the fact that I love the state and used to snowboard there in the summers.

I do fit the "Non-resident applicant with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences," with a 3.97 gpa, 518 MCAT, and pretty interesting ECs. Anyone have any insight on whether my numbers could save me at all for this school??

+1 to that (except my MCAT is below their "superior" score). Is it worth it for me to complete the secondary?

This is how it was explained to me last year - If you fit into any one of their Mission groups, you will be considered for & invited for an interview before applicants that do not fit into any of the Mission groups. That being said, I interviewed early fall last year and there was an applicant in my interview group who did not fit into any mission group, and plenty of people who fit one or more group were invited late in the season. So, there's always a chance that OHSU will review your application and invite you for an interview. If you love the school & the location, apply!

What do you all think about not reaching the 1500 character limit? I'm a little under 900 characters on one and I'm worried it's a little too short. Thoughts?

Gotta say, this feels like one of the more difficult secondaries. Tough questions and a lot to write.

I have a question for someone about the Oregon Heritage mentioned in the OHSU secondary. My parents moved to Oregon like a week after I submitted my primary to AMCAS, and I (stupidly) did not think ahead and change their address in AMCAS to Oregon, and instead have them listed as residents back in Texas, where they moved from. I clicked the button for parents living in Oregon, however, they say they match this to what I put in my primary app, and so it won't match up. I can't change my parent's address in my primary. Any advice on what to do?

Website states parents address at the of application. Sounds like you marked it correctly on your app.

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile
I got the impression that how they verify if your parents actually do live in Oregon is by matching this against the address you put in for your parents in your primary, which I put as TX as I didn't think ahead and change it. So if that is indeed how they verify that, then I wouldn't be considered Oregon Heritage based off of that. Would it be acceptable to try and email or call someone in admissions to clarify the mistake?

Has anyone been marked complete yet? Submitted 7/11, not "complete" yet.

Im a Texas applicant with a 3.6 gpa and 31 MCAT but with several years of research and healthcare work/volunteering. I already applied thru AMCAS and received a secondary. Is it worth it to still submit or am I wasting $100?

Im a Texas applicant with a 3.6 gpa and 31 MCAT but with several years of research and healthcare work/volunteering. I already applied thru AMCAS and received a secondary. Is it worth it to still submit or am I wasting $100?

Unless you have any ties to the state, probably not. Their superior academic mission group is considered to have minimum 3.7/32.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm

I'm not sure how many OOS they accept outside of this "academically superior mission group", however.

My application has been "processed" and all my letters are marked as received, but nowhere does it say complete. Is this OHSUs way of saying I am complete?

Desperately want that early II here. I need to move back to Oregon! I miss it every day.

My application has been "processed" and all my letters are marked as received, but nowhere does it say complete. Is this OHSUs way of saying I am complete?

Desperately want that early II here. I need to move back to Oregon! I miss it every day.

OHSU appear to send out secondary request on a first come first serve basis. In the secondary application OHSU also displays a rough time line stating when they secondary was sent, submitted, materials compiled, and when OHSU has verified that the application was complete. It took OHSU two weeks between secondary application submission and the date they noted the application to be complete.

OHSU appear to send out secondary request on a first come first serve basis. In the secondary application OHSU also displays a rough time line stating when they secondary was sent, submitted, materials compiled, and when OHSU has verified that the application was complete. It took OHSU two weeks between secondary application submission and the date they noted the application to be complete.

I know that, but I just wasn't sure if processed = complete.

I submitted my secondary on 7/11 and was "processed" on 7/25. Just not sure if this means complete or not.