2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought it went pretty well! However, it was pretty disorganized. When I checked in, I was told they didn't know who/when my one-on-one interview would be. This applied to half of us. After the information session, they gave us more information. Mine was on the hill/main campus later that day, after an OHSU-wide fire drill. They gave me about 15 min to make it up there, which was not enough time. Ended up being late, and my interviewer asked if we could reschedule for next week (she first asked me if I lived in Portland). After telling her I was going to be out of town, she said we'll just do the interview now. I didn't mind it, either would have been fine, but I know for others, this could have caused a lot a stress. There was also an information session scheduled for 1:15pm and I had to miss this because of my one-on-one interview. Other applicants had to reschedule their one-on-one for the next day and some for late afternoon. I don't believe this occurs often. I believe the MMI went smoothly though, lots of breaks in between. Other applicants were friendly. Nice atmosphere. Friendly staff, faculty, interviews and students. Impressed by everything, but the planning of the interview day (again, I think it was just one of those days...).

So they made you leave the life sciences building in the middle of the day to get to your one-on-one?? What the heck haha...

So they made you leave the life sciences building in the middle of the day to get to your one-on-one?? What the heck haha...
Basically... LOL

Hoping that subsequent interviews go more smoothly! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically... LOL

Hoping that subsequent interviews go more smoothly! :)

I'm sure they will! And I'm sure it'll be a credit to you that you stayed so calm under a lot of stress! Sheesh, most students would be totally freaked out about something like that... Haha.

Was parking easy for the life sciences building?

I'm sure they will! And I'm sure it'll be a credit to you that you stayed so calm under a lot of stress! Sheesh, most students would be totally freaked out about something like that... Haha.

I live close so I took public transit. I can't really comment. :( I don't think it would be an issue though.

There is a parking garage and a parking lot next to the CLSB on Moody that is 10 dollars for the whole day. I've never had an issue parking there or finding a spot, especially if you get there early. I just put the address in my phone for the CLSB and found it pretty easily. Or if you would like, you can park at a trimet park and ride location and pay 5 dollars for a whole day and take the MAX.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the interview day was not so organized. It was a nice sunny day so I didn't mind the drill. They tried their best to fix the problems. Many of us had to wait for more than an hour to have the one-on-one interview. I think the interviewer was kinda tired of interviewing many students. I still love the school and respect their efforts.

I agree that the interview day was not so organized. It was a nice sunny day so I didn't mind the drill. They tried their best to fix the problems. Many of us had to wait for more than an hour to have the one-on-one interview. I think the interviewer was kinda tired of interviewing many students. I still love the school and respect their efforts.

How many students were at your interview day?

There is a parking garage and a parking lot next to the CLSB on Moody that is 10 dollars for the whole day. I've never had an issue parking there or finding a spot, especially if you get there early. I just put the address in my phone for the CLSB and found it pretty easily. Or if you would like, you can park at a trimet park and ride location and pay 5 dollars for a whole day and take the MAX.

Thanks!!

So I was looking at last year's thread and it looks like OOS who submitted between August and September took at times 2+ months to be marked as complete. FYI if anyone is coming up to the two month mark like I am. :xf::whistle:

I too interviewed on Wednesday and had a GREAT experience. The so-called "disorganization" was in no way a reflection of the admissions staff. Honestly, when you work with clinicians there are going to be scheduling mishaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were 19 on the first day (last Friday - for whomever asked)

Yeah, you go to the one on one's office (at least in my case) and half the people were up the hill and half were still in the building. The ones in the building were either built into the MMI instead of breaks, or in the afternoon. The ones on upper campus were all in the afternoon. I also had an interviewer who was filling in last minute - but everything went smoothly for our day.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

There were 19 on the first day (last Friday - for whomever asked)

Yeah, you go to the one on one's office (at least in my case) and half the people were up the hill and half were still in the building. The ones in the building were either built into the MMI instead of breaks, or in the afternoon. The ones on upper campus were all in the afternoon. I also had an interviewer who was filling in last minute - but everything went smoothly for our day.

I think we had about the same number of applicants. Everyone was super friendly and lovely! Definitely made the day less stressful!

So, I'm super excited to be interviewing here MD/PhD in October! Does anyone happen to know (maybe current students?) if it's possible or likely that if you aren't admitted MD/PhD that you can still be accepted MD only? I know OHSU interviews 60-70 MD/PhD and matriculates 5, so wasn't sure if a large portion of the rejected-post-interview students were rejected MD/PhD applicants.

So I was looking at last year's thread and it looks like OOS who submitted between August and September took at times 2+ months to be marked as complete. FYI if anyone is coming up to the two month mark like I am. :xf::whistle:
I'm still waiting too, and it's been 2 months.

Anybody know if reapplicants interviewing a second time have a better chance of getting in? Interviewing soon!!

Anybody know if reapplicants interviewing a second time have a better chance of getting in? Interviewing soon!!

The general consensus is that they look favorable upon reapplicants. However, saying your chances are better as a reapplicant alone is incorrect. You need to be able to explain what has changed since you last applied and what makes you a stronger candidate now.

[question answered - deleted]

Last edited:
I would call - they are extremely friendly and it wouldn't hurt to double check. I'm normally one who recommends people not bugging at admissions office but this is the perfect case/reason to.

And I'm trying to remember, they mentioned some reapplicant stats and I don't remember what they were. I think you had a slightly lower chance of getting in but it was very slight. So I would view it as it neither helps or really hurts you

Hello everyone! I've seen the history of this thread and I just wanted to mention that I am an OOS applicant as well. I submitted my secondary on the 24th of July. Over two months of no news is scary! Anyone else in this similar situation? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I've seen the history of this thread and I just wanted to mention that I am an OOS applicant as well. I submitted my secondary on the 24th of July. Over two months of no news is scary! Anyone else in this similar situation? Thanks!

Hey! I also out of state, and also submitted on the 24th of July. No news either! Exactly same situation as you. eep.

Just got an II and I am ecstatic!! Secondary submitted 7/17 but application wasn't marked as processed until 8/11!! OOS but qualify as Oregon Heritage.

When were you both complete?
I was complete July 24th, same day I submitted the secondary.

edit: sorry completely wrong! still not complete!!! sorry about that. got confused!

I got an II today too! Reapplicant, Oregon heritage! Quick q, I replied to the email requesting an interview date as soon as I got it, and I still haven't heard back from them or gotten a confirmation for my interview date. Anyone else have something like this happen?

I got an II today too! Reapplicant, Oregon heritage! Quick q, I replied to the email requesting an interview date as soon as I got it, and I still haven't heard back from them or gotten a confirmation for my interview date. Anyone else have something like this happen?

Took 1.5 days for them to get back to me.

Replied as soon as I got the email too, and I haven't heard anything! I like your profile pic and user name, go rams!

Replied as soon as I got the email too, and I haven't heard anything! I like your profile pic and user name, go rams!
Ha, thanks, gotta love Cam! Glad to hear we're in the same boat. Congrats on your II and best of luck to you!

II today!!! It's my first choice school so I am ecstatic. I submitted 8/2 and was complete on 9/2ish. Instate. They offered October 12th, 26th, and November 2nd. 516 mcat and 3.75 cGPA.

I haven't seen it elsewhere in the thread so I'll post it here. They ask for any updates along with your reply to the interview invite emai, which is good to know.

Anyone know what % of IS II's get accepted?

Hey guys! Current OOS MS1 here.. let me know if you have any questions :)

Anyone know what % of IS II's get accepted?

They'll go over this during you interview but from the top of my head;

Something like 6300 primaries, 4700 completed secondaries, 575 interviews, 225-250 offers, 153 matriculate.

They'll go over this during you interview but from the top of my head;

Something like 6300 primaries, 4700 completed secondaries, 575 interviews, 225-250 offers, 153 matriculate.

That's pretty close to what they told us 1 month ago at my interview, although I know they expanded their class this year to 160.

That's pretty close to what they told us 1 month ago at my interview, although I know they expanded their class this year to 160.

Yeah I was trying to remember from that interview presentation, I wasn't taking notes. (Interviewed the 16th)

A few other questions:
1. Is the one-on-one interview open file or no?
2. Are the MMIs a mix of the ethical discussion, interact with an actor, and regular interview questions (as OHSU describes in an article from 2011), or are any of those absent?

Thanks! It's nice to know what I'll walk into.

A few other questions:
1. Is the one-on-one interview open file or no?
2. Are the MMIs a mix of the ethical discussion, interact with an actor, and regular interview questions (as OHSU describes in an article from 2011), or are any of those absent?

Thanks! It's nice to know what I'll walk into.

1. Open file, except for MCAT and GPA.
2. MMI has 4 types of stations: Interact with an actor, ethical decision making, discussion based, and teamwork/communication (work with someone else to accomplish a task).

It's open file unless your interviewer has to fill in for someone and they haven't had a chance to read your app :laugh: . With that said, I really liked my one on one - seemed like it was a good interaction.

Submitted in July, still not processed 0.o anyone in similar position?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who interviewed in September heard back about an acceptance/rejection yet? Apparently today is the first day schools are allowed to accept applicants!!

9/23 here, just checked the portal which has re-opened for me. No news yet.

complete for almost 7 weeks........... . .... . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .

complete for almost 7 weeks........... . .... . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Try three months....

I'm beginning to feel like a stalker by checking the portal each day to see nothing happen lol