2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that, but I just wasn't sure if processed = complete.

I submitted my secondary on 7/11 and was "processed" on 7/25. Just not sure if this means complete or not.
That's exactly what mine looks like. It appears to note simply that we will eventually receive a denial or interview request.

Members don't see this ad.

@gribear, no, processed is not complete here, there is one more check box that will come up (mine happens to be complete)

Reactions: 1 user
@gribear, no, processed is not complete here, there is one more check box that will come up (mine happens to be complete)

When did you submit your secondary? Seems odd to me that if all my letters are in and my app has been processed it wouldn't be complete! I submitted on 7/11. Marked as processed w/ all letters received on 7/25

Members don't see this ad :)
7/18 submitted, 7/22 complete

7/18 submitted, 7/22 complete

What the heck!? Now I'm worried...

You went from submitted --> processed --> complete in 4 days?! Are you OOS or IS?

Im IS, and its taken mine 2 weeks to go from submitted --> processed, now another 7 days with all letters received and MCAT score in and not even complete yet? I think I'm going to call the office.

7/23 submitted, 8/1 complete

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Complete, or processed? Im really freaking out now that I'm not complete despite everything being in and submitted on 7/11. I called admissions today and nobody picked up the phone, multiple times

Last edited:
Complete, or processed? Im really freaking out now that I'm not complete despite everything being in and submitted on 7/11. I called admissions today and nobody picked up the phone, multiple times

Take a deep breath. This is already one of the most stressful times you will endure as a student, there's no need to whip yourself into a frenzy. Everything will be fine, interview invites haven't even started rolling out yet. OHSU gets ~7k applications and the admissions staff is on point and awesome. You will be marked complete and if not within the next two weeks I would then make a polite phone call. Try to relax its a really long application cycle.

Take a deep breath. This is already one of the most stressful times you will endure as a student, there's no need to whip yourself into a frenzy. Everything will be fine, interview invites haven't even started rolling out yet. OHSU gets ~7k applications and the admissions staff is on point and awesome. You will be marked complete and if not within the next two weeks I would then make a polite phone call. Try to relax its a really long application cycle.

I know. Its just unsettling that this is my top choice and I'm IS, and others are being marked complete within a few days of submission. My concern is that something is missing or has gone wrong. I want to be complete by the time the first II roll out!

I'm so glad I didn't wait and be patient this time. i called admissions and discovered this huge stressful problem with In-state residency verification. Glad I startd tackling it now, instead of later. the Admissions office thanked me for calling to address this too!

hopefully it works out.

Complete. IS

Is everyone getting email notification of complete or are you just checking the portal?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile

Just checking the portal. The last time I applied to OHSU (2015 cycle), the only emails I got were the secondary and II. The rest (file complete, put on hold, rejection) were never emailed to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 07/23 but still not processed... Anyone in similar position? I'm OOS

I am a student here and helped interview last year and will help interview again this year. They haven't e-mailed us anything yet about availability and dates they will be interviewing so they likely won't send invites out for at least another month. Just thought you should know so you aren't stressing about waiting for interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a student here and helped interview last year and will help interview again this year. They haven't e-mailed us anything yet about availability and dates they will be interviewing so they likely won't send invites out for at least another month. Just thought you should know so you aren't stressing about waiting for interviews.
Thank you! That is very kind of you, and helpful!

Did anyone else submit around 7/25 and is still not marked as complete? All of my materials are in.

The only things I can think of are that they're still working through everything or that the letter I marked as no longer sending is holding it up for some reason. It's been marked like that since before I submitted, so I didn't think that would impact my processing.

May be because you're OOS
True, might have contributed. Actually just called them to double check and they just said they're swamped. Super nice on the phone. They said that 4-6 weeks for processing isn't out of the ordinary. In case anyone is in the same boat.

Thank you! That is very kind of you, and helpful!

Thank you! Top choice school, I so badly want to move back home to Oregon its ridiculous. This info will help keep me calm over the next few weeks. Complete 8/9

Also, just wanted to put this out there, the SoM's dean just had a very bad accident and is currently in critical care.

I bet that may delay things even more, but I'm sure the SoM is swamped and would appreciate everyone's patience.

Also, just wanted to put this out there, the SoM's dean just had a very bad accident and is currently in critical care.

I bet that may delay things even more, but I'm sure the SoM is swamped and would appreciate everyone's patience.

Oh man...how sad :( Hopefully he pulls through.

IIRC they used to screen for secondary. They don't do that anymore this year?

IIRC they used to screen for secondary. They don't do that anymore this year?

Nope.

On another note, is it worth applying here as a Washington resident whose only connection is employment at Oregon/OHSU affiliated hospitals?

Do you meet any of the mission groups?

As in Parent in OR, HS in OR, or college in OR? I do not. I live in Vancouver, Washington, about 20-30 minutes from OHSU (without traffic lmao) and have lived here my whole life.

As in Parent in OR, HS in OR, or college in OR? I do not. I live in Vancouver, Washington, about 20-30 minutes from OHSU (without traffic lmao) and have lived here my whole life.

I don't believe you meet any mission groups. But as someone who grew up in Portland and went to UW for undergrad, I feel your pain.

I don't believe you meet any mission groups. But as someone who grew up in Portland and went to UW for undergrad, I feel your pain.

I'm gathering it would be futile to apply? Just as it is relatively worthless for Oregon residents to apply to UW, I suppose (unless they are superstar applicants).

I'm gathering it would be futile to apply? Just as it is relatively worthless for Oregon residents to apply to UW, I suppose (unless they are superstar applicants).

Haha yup, not applying to UW even though I went to undergrad here.
But nothing is ever truly futile, but I would caution applying here as an OOS unless you are a "superstar". (Their minimum requirements for superstar status is 3.7/32 (or 513))

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm

submitted over a month ago and still not processed OOS.... should i call them?

nah, I do qualify. called them and they didn't pick up...weird
I called them last week and they said that 4-6 weeks was normal. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Regarding the post-secondary GPA screening, how strict is the cutoff? If one is slightly below the cutoff, is it necessary to submit a secondary if it turns into an auto-rejection?

Is Oregon worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission and I have family in Oregon.

A handful of us from CA including myself got in without Oregon ties so go for it

Not to interrupt the flow of questions here, but I must say I've been getting so nervous every time I check this page lately because I keep thinking people will start posting that they received an II and I won't have gotten one! Which very well may happen, but I am just really starting to hate the waiting game...

My guess is early September for the first IIs.

I think you're right. Still, I can't help it when my heart skips a beat each time I see an update on this thread, or when I see an email trying to download into my inbox haha. Ah well, at this point whatever happens, happens. Not terribly often you can say that in medicine, yeah?

Im a Texas applicant with a 3.6 gpa and 31 MCAT but with several years of research and healthcare work/volunteering. I already applied thru AMCAS and received a secondary. Is it worth it to still submit or am I wasting $100?

What did you decide? I'm in the same boat, similar stats, but applying MD/MPH

Because I'm bored at work and just happened to find someone last year that did the leg work for me; the last 5 years first II's seen on sdn were; 8/21, 9/18, 9/16, 9/21, 9/23

Reactions: 2 users
Is that in any particular order?

Because I'm bored at work and just happened to find someone last year that did the leg work for me; the last 5 years first II's seen on sdn were; 8/21, 9/18, 9/16, 9/21, 9/23

So last year's invite was almost a month earlier than they normally go out? Maybe it'll just be back to its old schedule now then. Thanks for this btw!

Is that in any particular order?

Chronological going backwards

So last year's invite was almost a month earlier than they normally go out? Maybe it'll just be back to its old schedule now then. Thanks for this btw!

Thats what it looked like - unless I made a Monday - but yeah I would assume mid sept, if not a bit later because of the unfortunate issue with the dean (hopefully Dr. Richardson doing better, the initial reports didn't sound good). I believe the former Dean and current president has stepped in as interim dean

Thats what it looked like - unless I made a Monday - but yeah I would assume mid sept, if not a bit later because of the unfortunate issue with the dean (hopefully Dr. Richardson doing better, the initial reports didn't sound good). I believe the former Dean and current president has stepped in as interim dean

Yeah, I agree. And that's so horrible about the dean! I really hope that he will be okay.

II! Dates offered: Sept. 16, Sept. 21, Sept. 23.
So so so happy.

Edit: Complete on 8/1/2016.

Yeah I guess I spoke to soon yesterday. II !

Did anyone else submit around 7/25 and is still not marked as complete? All of my materials are in.

The only things I can think of are that they're still working through everything or that the letter I marked as no longer sending is holding it up for some reason. It's been marked like that since before I submitted, so I didn't think that would impact my processing.

Has your app been processed yet...?

Has your app been processed yet...?
Nope, not yet. The six week mark will be next week, and then I'll get worried. I just keep checking every day to see if it went through. Im OOS, so I bet that factors in.

Nope, not yet. The six week mark will be next week, and then I'll get worried. I just keep checking every day to see if it went through. Im OOS, so I bet that factors in.

Okay, thanks! I'm on the same page; I called them yesterday and they said it's "normal" from the high volume of apps. Our OOS status def factors in I think

II today!! (8/31) Received an email this morning.