2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 and does anyone know when they might start pulling people off the waitlist?

I really hope it'll be in time for second look... kinda doubt it though. Anyone up to digging through last years forum?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many people got off the WL last year?

Does anyone know how many people got off the WL last year?

I think they told us half the class (so around 25) got in off the WL. And a current student said all of the people that got in off the WL submitted LOI's...so I'm assuming that means 25 got off (as in, nobody got off the WL then turned it down)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they told us half the class (so around 25) got in off the WL. And a current student said all of the people that got in off the WL submitted LOI's...so I'm assuming that means 25 got off (as in, nobody got off the WL then turned it down)

According to their website, almost 40 students were taken off of the WL if we assume that they only accept 50 outright (which is generally what I have heard and it was said in previous years threads)

Is there any place (like a facebook page) for accepted students? I'm thinking about living situations, and trying to see if anybody would like to be my roomie.

Reactions: 3 users
Per last year's thread, they didn't pull applicants off the WL until first week of May.

I <3 you so much Mayo but I also <3 having time to plan the uprooting of my life

Reactions: 1 users
Take total number of interviews (300-400 IIRC but likely off), subtract 50 acceptances then ratio remaining slots between reports of waitlists and post interview rejections. Assuming similar percentages of SDNers report being rejected and WLed should give ballpark of each....?

Or just pick a number that makes you happy. Probably equally valid estimation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are alternate list applicants invited to second look, or no?
I don't think so. I only received information about the second look weekend after I filled out the acceptance verification forms. However, not entirely sure, that may be call worthy.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to all of you!! I was alternate-listed. Loved my time at Mayo. My interview group and I bonded so much we actually made a video and sent it to Admissions as a thank-you for having such a great interview day for us. Mayo is a fantastic institution and I'm fortunate enough to have been considered (though I haven't given up hope yet).

If you're looking for a roommate, DM me. I'll tell you more about myself.

Alternate listed at the end of February as well. Bummed but have other options so trying to stay optimistic!

Congrats to all who have been accepted here. You are all amazing!

Hey all. Got alternate listed and just received an email that I am "highly positioned" on the alternate list. Wondering if this went to everyone or if I might actually have a shot. I had previously received a "likely letter" but did not end up getting admitted.

I don't think everyone gets this email; a similar sort of email went out last year. Who did you receive the email from? Was it something along the lines of, "we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc"

I don't think everyone gets this email; a similar sort of email went out last year. Who did you receive the email from? Was it something along the lines of, "we are still considering your candidacy, we hope you stay on the waitlist, we accept letters of intent, details etc"

Thanks! It was from Phil--and yes, it was like that!

so anyone know where I could get my hands on previous years' match lists?? I feel like they gave it to us during my interview but cannot find it anywhere!

so anyone know where I could get my hands on previous years' match lists?? I feel like they gave it to us during my interview but cannot find it anywhere!
They didn't give it. They put it out for us to look through but we couldn't take them with us.

We got a chance to see this year's match list at 2nd look weekend (AZ Campus). I'm not going to give you specifics (as I'm not sure we're supposed to), but I will tell you it's incredibly impressive.

Look on mayo med school twitter! They congratulated each person individually with program name and specialty on match day, so you'd just have to scroll back a bit.

Does anyone know when the first day of class would be? I can't seem to find an academic calendar online

Does anyone know when the first day of class would be? I can't seem to find an academic calendar online

ImageUploadedBySDN1493584375.156072.jpg

Congrats! Did you get a likely letter earlier in the cycle? Or an email after WL?
Thank you! No likely letter. I received an email from my interviewer pre-decision telling me if I needed anything to reach out. Then I received my WL email and have been in contact regularly (i.e. sending updates). I did receive an email recently asking if I was potentially still interested in attending

Last edited:
Thank you! No likely letter. I received an email from my interviewer pre-decision telling me if I needed anything to reach out. Then I received my WL email and have been in contact regularly (i.e. sending updates). I did receive an email recently asking if I was potentially still interested in attending

Congrats! It appears that the new round of the "interest emails" are the waitlist version of the "likely letter" - not required for an acceptance, but a real good sign. Once again, congrats!!

Is there a Facebook page for accepted students?

I didn't see a reply to this? Is there a group? I'm definitely planning to accept my offer here, and am looking for info about moving to Rochester and finding potential roommates, etc. So excited!

Can any previously-accepted students provide their insight regarding how long it took to their receive financial aid offers?