2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gina emailed me apologizing about the wrong name. It's not good news everyone. Sorry!

Edit: oops just saw you all knew this. Was a good time everyone! Enjoy your studies elsewhere! Getting amped about my other choices now...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This whole cycle for mayo has been smdh

Reactions: 9 users
After receiving the misdirected email, did anyone receive apologies from Gina?

Reactions: 1 user
After receiving the misdirected email, did anyone receive apologies from Gina?

Someone a few posts up said they did.

I wonder how much the wrong name issue is going to hold up waitlist emails/I wonder if they haven't announced all rejections yet and they're trying to fix this before sending out the rest

Reactions: 1 users
Mayo resurrected me to show me the beautiful light that is the Mayo Clinic, only to kick me back down into my grave.

It's like that girl who's way out of your league tells you she was wrong about you and actually wants to date you, only to dump you right afterwards. And the worst part is you find out she thought your name was Kenneth the whole time.

Reactions: 22 users
Also rejected and then re-rejected in two follow-up emails. On the bright side, I'm eating cookies for dinner.

Reactions: 8 users
Mayo resurrected me to show me the beautiful light that is the Mayo Clinic, only to kick me back down into my grave.

It's like that girl who's way out of your league tells you she was wrong about you and actually wants to date you, only to dump you right afterwards. And the worst part is you find out she thought your name was Kenneth the whole time.

This is exactly how I feel. My first rejection post-interview and it really stings. I loved you Mayo :(

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected. Whatever y'all couldn'a handled me anyway.

Edit: also I sent a letter of intent and a med student sent an email on my behalf so none of that helps haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The reading material for next year's cycle just gets juicer and juicer :rolleyes:
I hope that the 2017 - 2018 applicant reading through this does get a laugh at our convos though.

Sorry to everybody rejected!

Reactions: 2 users

LOL I'm sorry. Don't worry there are plenty of fish in the sea.

I got a reject email but... it had the wrong name on it?
like reject me fine but either 1) am I rejected or is this random dude rejected or 2) at least get my name right ..

+(many it seems)

ImageUploadedBySDN1486688372.307420.jpg

RIP Kenny

Reactions: 17 users
Detailed SDN Mayo Report as of 12:00 p.m. (eastern) on 2/10/17

Arizona (20 total appointments):
Mon. 2/6 (14 appointments):

csdanim – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
GrumpyGus – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
ChrisMack390 – likely letter [interviewed in September; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Pre-MD/MPH – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Smash Williams – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Nak2k – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Bythelightofthemoon14 - likely letter [interviewed September; received interest inquiry email]
lavacake - likely letter [interviewed in September or October; received interest inquiry e-mail]
Gurby – likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
33ducks - no likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
LetsDrift – likely letter [interviewed in November; received interest inquiry email]
Wisco41 – likely letter [interviewed in December; did not receive interest inquiry email]
brunodude – no likely letter [interviewed in January; did not receive interest inquiry email]
thenucleusaccumbens’s friend – no likely letter [unknown interview date; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Tues. 2/7 (4 appointments):
Divine Comedy – likely letter [interviewed in September or October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Hello…it’s me… – likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
OrangeMed – likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
absolutelynot – no likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Wed. 2/8 (2 appointments):
Abomb - likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Atrevido - likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Thurs. 2/9 (0 appointments):
Fri. 2/10 (0 appointments):

Arizona Summary:
Likely Letters: 16 received; 4 not received
Interest Inquiry Email: 10 received; 9 not received; 1 unknown
Interview Month: September 7-9; October 5-7; November 3; December 1; January 1; Unknown 1

Minnesota (13 total appointments):
Mon. 2/6 (10 appointments):

LeweezeB – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
namaste08 – no likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry e-mail]
O.T.I. – likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Cheezit – likely letter [interviewed in November; received inquiry interest email]
airbornedude – likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Autotoxicus – likely letter [interviewed in November; received interest inquiry email]
Stargazerlily1990 – likely letter [interviewed in December; did not receive interest inquiry email]
BearMD428 – likely letter [interviewed in December; received interest inquiry email]
SaskStudent11 – no likely letter [interviewed in January; did not receive interest inquiry email]
halobi – likely letter [unknown interview date; unknown as to email interest inquiry]
Tues. 2/7 (3 appointments):
CycleWizard – no likely letter [interviewed in September or October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
flip15 – no likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
rahulk – no likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
Wed. 2/8 (0 appointments):
**Rejections Begin**

Minnesota Summary:
Likely Letters: 8 received; 5 not received
Interest Inquiry Email: 7 received; 5 not received; 1 unknown
Interview Month: September 2-3; October 2-3; November 4; December 2; January 1; Unknown 1

Last edited:
So far, no one with a "likely letter" has reported being rejected.
While the correlation with the likely letters and appointments is strong, I don't think much can actually be gleaned from the receipt of one seeing as there are a good number of kids who received appointments without ever getting correspondence. There are definitely other factors at play with these correspondences

While the correlation with the likely letters and appointments is strong, I don't think much can actually be gleaned from the receipt of one seeing as there are a good number of kids who received appointments without ever getting correspondence. There are definitely other factors at play with these correspondences

I have been able to determine that a likely letter means one of two things. You'll be appointed or you won't.

Reactions: 5 users
I have been able to determine that a likely letter means one of two things. You'll be appointed or you won't.
For all we know, letters were intended for everyone but each wave of letters was so involved the process was just extremely sloppy...

I got a likely letter at the AZ campus though... and still have yet to hear anything back. I interviewed in December.

Edit: Which I think leans towards the direction of us still having no idea what they mean haha.

I got a likely letter at the AZ campus though... and still have yet to hear anything back. I interviewed in December.

Edit: Which I think leans towards the direction of us still having no idea what they mean haha.
Yes i think they honestly are not very indicative. If everyone who was accepted reported getting one then I can say something for them

But the real mystery is what is going on with all of us who haven't heard anything ???!!!

This is killing me.

Arizona sent WL emails this afternoon, stating deliberations were complete. Really want the same from MN so I can go about my weekend without constantly refreshing SDN and my email.

I am in mi-ser-y
There ain't nobody who can comfort me, oh yeaaah
Why won't you answer me?
The silence is slow-ly killin' me, oh yeaaah

Reactions: 1 users
Could it be that MN is on a different timeline and is still deliberating and they have yet to decide on those who haven't heard back yet?

Final Detailed SDN Mayo Report as of 11:00 a.m. (eastern) on 2/13/17

Arizona (20 total appointments):
Mon. 2/6 (14 appointments):
csdanim – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
GrumpyGus – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
ChrisMack390 – likely letter [interviewed in September; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Pre-MD/MPH – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Smash Williams – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Nak2k – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
Bythelightofthemoon14 - likely letter [interviewed September; received interest inquiry email]
lavacake - likely letter [interviewed in September or October; received interest inquiry e-mail]
Gurby – likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
33ducks - no likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
LetsDrift – likely letter [interviewed in November; received interest inquiry email]
Wisco41 – likely letter [interviewed in December; did not receive interest inquiry email]
brunodude – no likely letter [interviewed in January; did not receive interest inquiry email]
thenucleusaccumbens’s friend – no likely letter [unknown interview date; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Tues. 2/7 (4 appointments):
Divine Comedy – likely letter [interviewed in September or October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Hello…it’s me… – likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
OrangeMed – likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
absolutelynot – no likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Wed. 2/8 (2 appointments):
Abomb - likely letter [interviewed in October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Atrevido - likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Fri. 2/10 (0 appointments): **Alternate List Notice**
Mon. 2/13 (0 appointments): **Rejections**

Arizona Summary:
Likely Letters: 16 received; 4 not received
Interest Inquiry Email: 10 received; 9 not received; 1 unknown
Interview Month: September 7-9; October 5-7; November 3; December 1; January 1; Unknown 1

Minnesota (13 total appointments):
Mon. 2/6 (10 appointments):
LeweezeB – likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry email]
namaste08 – no likely letter [interviewed in September; received interest inquiry e-mail]
O.T.I. – likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Cheezit – likely letter [interviewed in November; received inquiry interest email]
airbornedude – likely letter [interviewed in November; did not receive interest inquiry email]
Autotoxicus – likely letter [interviewed in November; received interest inquiry email]
Stargazerlily1990 – likely letter [interviewed in December; did not receive interest inquiry email]
BearMD428 – likely letter [interviewed in December; received interest inquiry email]
SaskStudent11 – no likely letter [interviewed in January; did not receive interest inquiry email]
halobi – likely letter [unknown interview date; unknown as to email interest inquiry]
Tues. 2/7 (3 appointments):
CycleWizard – no likely letter [interviewed in September or October; did not receive interest inquiry email]
flip15 – no likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
rahulk – no likely letter [interviewed in October; received interest inquiry email]
Wed. 2/8 (0 appointments):
Thurs. 2/9 (0 appointments): **Rejections**
Mon. 2/13 (0 appointments):
**Alternate List Notice**

Minnesota Summary:
Likely Letters: 8 received; 5 not received
Interest Inquiry Email: 7 received; 5 not received; 1 unknown
Interview Month: September 2-3; October 2-3; November 4; December 2; January 1; Unknown 1

Also got the alternate list email this morning. Trying to stay optimistic!

Waitlisted this AM! Anyone remember how many folks they said get waitlisted?

Finally axed for MSTP. Have to say it was one of the ruder emails I've gotten rejected with lol