2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is most likely a simple, basic screen (think like 3.0/25, I just make these numbers up) where they would realistically draw the line of "ok this person's stats are just trash" lol. The real screens are LoR requests and then obviously II's.

With the stress of secondaries, I will gladly give you $120 to not have any essays to fill out- thanks Mayo :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the application received e-mail from the AZ campus yet, or just the MN one?

Yikes $120.....
Think of it as a charitable donation. Plus they have to fund their admission committee some how.
You're the real MVP.
No problem :)
With the stress of secondaries, I will gladly give you $120 to not have any essays to fill out- thanks Mayo :)
Definitely. Starting to dread the new email notification.
Has anyone received the application received e-mail from the AZ campus yet, or just the MN one?
Nope. Not yet. Wonder if the process (no essay, LOR requests) is the same as Mayo MN.

Nope. Not yet. Wonder if the process (no essay, LOR requests) is the same as Mayo MN.
God I hope so. I haven't even written a single secondary yet but I'm already /really/ not in the mood....

Reactions: 1 users
God I hope so. I haven't even written a single secondary yet but I'm already /really/ not in the mood....
Did you only apply to schools without secondary essays?!? Thought secondaries weren't arriving until July, but they started slowly trickling in last week. Already finished writing four :confused:

Does Mayo screen subsection MCAT scores?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you only apply to schools without secondary essays?!? Thought secondaries weren't arriving until July, but they started slowly trickling in last week. Already finished writing four :confused:
Lol no I applied everywhere regardless of length of secondaries. I'll get them done. Begrudgingly. Maybe not Duke. That's just ridic.

Edit: I'm not verified yet so havent received very many secondaries. Just U Chicago and WUSTL.

Lol no I applied everywhere regardless of length of secondaries. I'll get them done. Begrudgingly. Maybe not Duke. That's just ridic.

Edit: I'm not verified yet so havent received very many secondaries. Just U Chicago and WUSTL.
I know this isn't school specific, but is it possible to receive secondaries before you're verified...?

I know this isn't school specific, but is it possible to receive secondaries before you're verified...?
Yes. Schools can see when you list them on AMCAS even if you haven't been verified, and some schools will automatically send you secondary applications if you list them on your application.

Didn't know you could get secondaries without being verified. If you have time, try to write your diversity, challenge and gap year (if applicable) essays ahead of time. It's saved me a bunch of effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplicant here, got the fee email this morning too.

Passing down some info:

Like people have stated, the biggest screen is the LOR request. Last year it was about a third of applicants who received this, a bit more than previous years. The screen is apparently based on a review of your work/activities section, at least this is what was stated when I called the admissions office over the phone last year.

Don't worry about having AMCAS letters already designated to Mayo, makes no difference. The LOR request email basically just says "OK, we're going to read them now".

The admissions office processes applications in batches. I forget the rate at which LOR requests were sent out, but I got the LOR request last year around late august a few days after submitting the fee. Some people waited longer. After applicants receive the LOR request, Mayo marks their applications as "complete" every 2-3 weeks. I had wait about 3 weeks for my application to be marked complete since my last LOR was submitted the day after their last batch.

Like people have stated, the biggest screen is the LOR request. Last year it was about a third of applicants who received this, a bit more than previous years. The screen is apparently based on a review of your work/activities section, at least this is what was stated when I called the admissions office over the phone last year.

Can confirm. I consider my extracurriculars top-notch but my LizzyM is ~65. I am also a reapplicant; I received an LORr last year on July 24, 1 week after the 'Application Received' email. Prepare yourselves for the dreaded 3am emails. Ultimately I got a "not selected" email on October 24.

Can confirm. I consider my extracurriculars top-notch but my LizzyM is ~65. I am also a reapplicant; I received an LORr last year on July 24, 1 week after the 'Application Received' email. Prepare yourselves for the dreaded 3am emails. Ultimately I got a "not selected" email on October 24.

Last edited:
@histologymakesmecry what is the difference between applying to both med schools jointly and applying to them separately? The twitter page was talking about how these are options. Thanks!

I am somewhat similar... LizzyM is ~68, but I am hoping my somewhat non-traditional path, life experiences, success in another career, etc. will help me out! Wishing you good luck!
Mine is the other way around. LizzyM score ~77 but low ECs. I pray I also get some love, since I've heard the school is really service-oriented...:(

Mine is the other way around. LizzyM score ~77 but low ECs. I pray I also get some love, since I've heard the school is really service-oriented...:(

Rooting for you, too! We all need all the positivity we can get!

I am somewhat similar... LizzyM is ~68, but I am hoping my somewhat non-traditional path, life experiences, success in another career, etc. will help me out! Wishing you good luck!
We have roughly the same LM score (~67-69)! My ECs are probably around average but I do have a non-standard 'why medicine' story. Unfortunately, Mayo doesn't read personal statements until after the LOR request... :eek:
I also have little service (especially when compared to the amount of research). Just have to stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
We have roughly the same LM score (~67-69)! My ECs are probably around average but I do have a non-standard 'why medicine' story. Unfortunately, Mayo doesn't read personal statements until after the LOR request... :eek:

I also have little service (especially when compared to the amount of research). Just have to stay positive!
You all are so wonderfully uplifting... God bless you!

I just applied here today. When I first told my parents, they asked me what mayonnaise has to do with medicine :joyful:

If only they knew how good this school is lol

Reactions: 5 users
I just applied here today. When I first told my parents, they asked me what mayonnaise has to do with medicine :joyful:

If only they knew how good this school is lol
My parents told my grandparents I was applying to Ketchup SOM :unsure:

Now whenever people say they've never heard of Mayo, I just tell them they're the ones who write the sidebar on Google when you search up medical conditions.

Reactions: 3 users
Does everyone get the $120 fee request? Just got an email, I thought mayo did a fairly rigorous screen and honestly didn't think I would get it?

Not everyone will get the fee request. A friend last year did not get it. I think because she didn't pass the MCAT screen.

Did anyone else get the "pay again" email?

When you get another email from Mayo and get VERY excited, but it's just asking for money again... :(

Anyone else getting antsy on the slow day after a small burst of secondaries came yesterday? I got like 4-5 yesterday and now I'm on full drive but nothing is coming today.

Anyone else getting antsy on the slow day after a small burst of secondaries came yesterday? I got like 4-5 yesterday and now I'm on full drive but nothing is coming today.
Haha I am still trying to play catch-up!

YES! Except I have 3 secondaries to work on, so I should really not be asking for more at this stage.

Mine didn't. It was like MMSMM.
It should look something like MMSMMS########## (bunch of random numbers).
Update: Just called. If you're still getting an "MMSTST" confirmation number, clear your browser cache and cookies.
Same thing happened to me. Or you can just use a browser other than the one you use to pay initially.
Its the calm before the storm?

It should look something like MMSMMS########## (bunch of random numbers).

Same thing happened to me. Or you can just use a browser other than the one you use to pay initially.

Its the calm before the storm?

Suppose so.. I guess the storm includes wondering how long it's going to take them to approve waivers, download LORs etc. I'm guessing the first week of July is when most of the remaining secondaries will go out.

Suppose so.. I guess the storm includes wondering how long it's going to take them to approve waivers, download LORs etc. I'm guessing the first week of July is when most of the remaining secondaries will go out.
Yay a 2 day break for us to catch up and send in secondaries from this wave. A bit surprised that we haven't gotten a fee request from Mayo Scottsdale yet.

Edit: Just got a secondary from Temple. Back into the storm :(

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question, but where do we designate that we want to apply to the AZ campus? I haven't seen an option or something anywhere or gotten any emails about it. All of them have been from Rochester.

Maybe a silly question, but where do we designate that we want to apply to the AZ campus? I haven't seen an option or something anywhere or gotten any emails about it. All of them have been from Rochester.
If I remember correctly (please do correct if me I'm wrong, a bit dizzy from secondaries), I think you had to apply to Mayo AZ separately when submitting your primary.

So I applied to the Mayo Minnesota campus and paid the required fees ($38 for primary and $120 for secondary).

If I apply to the Mayo Arizona campus, do I also have to pay the same amount of additional fees?? ($38 for primary and $120 for secondary)?

So I applied to the Mayo Minnesota campus and paid the required fees ($38 for primary and $120 for secondary).

If I apply to the Mayo Arizona campus, do I also have to pay the same amount of additional fees?? ($38 for primary and $120 for secondary)?
Yep. Pretty much like applying to two separate schools.
Yes. Just received the az fee request and it says you have to pay for each.
Also just got it!

Geez, Mayo. Honestly that's a lot of money- I recognize it is essentially two different schools, but wow. Not sure I am gonna apply to any campus other than MN.

Geez, Mayo. Honestly that's a lot of money- I recognize it is essentially two different schools, but wow. Not sure I am gonna apply to any campus other than MN.
I mean it's not essentially two different schools, they are different schools. Just as you would pay for both Tufts and Tulane, you pay for both Mayo campuses.

I definitely see where you're coming from. This whole process is expensive :(
I mean it's not essentially two different schools, they are different schools. Just as you would pay for both Tufts and Tulane, you pay for both Mayo campuses.
True. But it is a bit confusing that they're both called Mayo Medical School. There are other schools with multiple campuses, such as MCW, which have multiple campuses and share an application.

True. But it is a bit confusing that they're both called Mayo Medical School. There are other schools with multiple campuses, such as MCW, which have multiple campuses and share an application.
But do you get a MCW degree or a MCW-insert campus name degree? I was honestly under the impression the Minneaota/Arizona campuses were independent and given different degrees. Now if the name on my Mayo Arizona degree is simply Mayo medical school then ****, that incentives me much more to wanting to go haha

But do you get a MCW degree or a MCW-insert campus name degree? I was honestly under the impression the Minneaota/Arizona campuses were independent and given different degrees. Now if the name on my Mayo Arizona degree is simply Mayo medical school then ****, that incentives me much more to wanting to go haha

I am just happy they added a campus. Also very happy that they don't have secondary essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have no idea. Plus Mayo AZ hasn't had a graduating class so we can't ask a alum :\ That would be awesome!
I am just happy they added a campus. Also very happy that they don't have secondary essays.

You and me both. Though if they did have a why Mayo essay, I think I could fill it out quickly (lots of great things to talk about) :D

Does the receipt of anyone who applied to ARZ look the same as that of those who applied to MN? Both MMS payments say Rochester on my credit card bill and I have no idea if the payments are supposed to appear different on the receipt. Both confirmations have MMSMMS as well

They also have not sent an application complete email so I can't find out whether I paid for the same campus 2x or if I paid for each one

Does the receipt of anyone who applied to ARZ look the same as that of those who applied to MN? Both MMS payments say Rochester on my credit card bill and I have no idea if the payments are supposed to appear different on the receipt. Both confirmations have MMSMMS as well

They also have not sent an application complete email so I can't find out whether I paid for the same campus 2x or if I paid for each one
Looks exactly the same for me as well. Though the confirmation numbers are different.

It said 'AZ' on the online confirmation of payment, but can't see it in the email. If you click on the payment link from the AZ campus it will take you to a page that says something like payment page for AZ.

I think the reason they don't share an application and have separate fees is because the MN campus and the AZ campus have separate operating costs. They have separate admissions committee, separate admissions staff, etc. Mayo treats their employees very well (it's always listed in Forbes as a top place to work) and so I'd imagine the application fees help to cover salaries for the admissions staff at each school and things like that.

There is always the option of applying to just one campus and I have a friend who is only applying to Mayo in Rochester to save money. The process is quite expensive and although my bank account wishes I had some of the money I spent on apps last year back, it was absolutely worth it in the end as I get ready to start med school in a couple weeks.