2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
crossing my fingersssss!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually not to deterred by the small town feel. I attended college in a super small town with terrible food and high cost of living so don't think it can get much worse. If anything, I'm more afraid of the below zero winters (in fahrenheit and celsius).

The winters here are interesting. I'm from a Midwest state that gets a LOT of snow and winter weather, but Rochester winter was much different. There was only about a week period where it was consistently below zero (F). But.......even when it is above zero in the teens, the wind here gets you. Luckily, there is the subway system (not a metro, but underground walking tunnels) and a skyway system (second story walking tunnels) that allow you to stay inside throughout all of the mayo buildings. If you live nearby, you can easily access these tunnels and keep from being outside too much. That being said, winter weather gear is a must, and I recommend something to cover your face (scarves, neck warmers, etc). But don't worry about the logistics quite yet!

Reactions: 4 users
Went to AUA 2016 this year and got to meet a lot of mayo faculty. they told me not to bother applying to the scottsdale campus. they all made it sound very second-rate. not sure if this is just some rochester elitism or what, but I'd like to hear if anyone has heard different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read that Mayo needs all of their LOR's to have a "handwritten" signature to be valid. I'm pretty sure all of my professors just signed them electronically (just typed their name).
Do I have to ask them to resubmit the letters or are there any other options here? What do you suggest @thenucleusaccumbens ?

I know it's such a long shot, but this is my dream school. Can't wait for this application process to really get rolling!

Just FYI, I spoke to admissions here, and they do screen out anyone with a new MCAT below 508 at both campuses. Missed it by just one point personally, but wanted to let whoever else know to save the money. Good luck to all! Incredible school.

Reactions: 3 users
Just read that Mayo needs all of their LOR's to have a "handwritten" signature to be valid. I'm pretty sure all of my professors just signed them electronically (just typed their name).
Do I have to ask them to resubmit the letters or are there any other options here? What do you suggest @thenucleusaccumbens ?

Hi ToshStorm,

I asked our admissions committee:

All letters must have handwritten signatures. This requirement is clearly indicated on our website. In order to prevent a delay in the application review process, the applicant should confirm this status with the letter writers and ask them to resubmit letters with signatures if needed.

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md...tion-process/letters-of-recommendation-policy

Letters that are not signed, are not valid and they are not considered by our committee

Hope this helps!

Went to AUA 2016 this year and got to meet a lot of mayo faculty. they told me not to bother applying to the scottsdale campus. they all made it sound very second-rate. not sure if this is just some rochester elitism or what, but I'd like to hear if anyone has heard different.

Hi flapjack3d,

There are always skeptics to new changes. Sure, the ARZ campus will have to work out some kinks, but their curriculum is the same as ours at RST, and they have a fabulous faculty and staff that were hand selected for the campus. All are top notch consultants and professors. I wouldn't let their comments deter you.
I will say that Mayo ARZ is different than Mayo RST, and I would recommend a visit if you are unsure about which atmosphere you would prefer.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Just FYI, I spoke to admissions here, and they do screen out anyone with a new MCAT below 508 at both campuses. Missed it by just one point personally, but wanted to let whoever else know to save the money. Good luck to all! Incredible school.
I got a 32 on old MCAT, and my score is still good, but I got a 9 in bio :( Darn that orgo! And I was a biology MAJOR, so it's kind of embarrassing. Will I automatically be screened out? And if so, at what point?

Most schools require a handwritten signature. Fix it.

I got a 32 on old MCAT, and my score is still good, but I got a 9 in bio :( Darn that orgo! And I was a biology MAJOR, so it's kind of embarrassing. Will I automatically be screened out? And if so, at what point?

As of my application cycle last year, they screened at 30 for MCAT initially. I don't believe you'll be screened out at this point

Yikes. Guess Ill barely scrape by that screen. Retaking my mcat really was a terrible idea considering mayo only looks at your most recent score :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is a particular cutoff for GPA?

Hi flapjack3d,

There are always skeptics to new changes. Sure, the ARZ campus will have to work out some kinks, but their curriculum is the same as ours at RST, and they have a fabulous faculty and staff that were hand selected for the campus. All are top notch consultants and professors. I wouldn't let their comments deter you.
I will say that Mayo ARZ is different than Mayo RST, and I would recommend a visit if you are unsure about which atmosphere you would prefer.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.
Quick word on the differences? I've visited the rochester campus and it seemed like itd be a bit too stuffy for me at this time of my life.

In terms of atmosphere, it is very highly functional, clean, and provides exceptional health care. However, it is less tied to the history of the Mayo Brothers and their values, though their values are still the basis of care. In terms of "stuffiness" I guess I would say that ARZ is less so than RST, based on my definition of stuffiness. But that is just my, and some of my classmates, opinions. I think it's just a different vibe.

Like MN, does AZ also not have secondaries? Couldn't find this info anywhere.

Like MN, does AZ also not have secondaries? Couldn't find this info anywhere.
As far as I can tell (based on sdn and the website), they don't.

Mayo is obviously a dream school for anyone, but I really hate the cold weather. I can deal with it if and when I need to (been living in Boston for a while now), but I am so excited Mayo opened a campus in AZ! Bring on the heat!

Have not heard this from any of the Mayo faculty I've ever interacted with. All have raved about the AZ campus. I'm sorry that you were told differently, but it is absolutely not second rate.

Mayo is obviously a dream school for anyone, but I really hate the cold weather. I can deal with it if and when I need to (been living in Boston for a while now), but I am so excited Mayo opened a campus in AZ! Bring on the heat!
As someone who has lived in Phoenix their entire life, the heat is simultaneously not that bad and absolutely terrible... If that makes sense.

120 this last Sunday!! A/C and the pool makes it all possible. Mayo AZ is the dream.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As someone who has lived in Phoenix their entire life, the heat is simultaneously not that bad and absolutely terrible... If that makes sense.
Like at least it's a dry heat?
I think I rather take the cold. You can always layer more in the cold but you can only remove so much clothing in the heat. Though snow really is problematic when you want to move around :/

Reactions: 1 users
Like at least it's a dry heat?

I think I rather take the cold. You can always layer more in the cold but you can only remove so much clothing in the heat. Though snow really is problematic when you want to move around :/
Yeah, 100 in Phoenix is much different than 100 in many other places. After experiencing the summer temps that get up to 115-117, 100 may actually even feel relatively cool/mild here. During the heart of the summer, most get by fine by staying in pools and A/C for the great majority of their time. It definitely takes some getting used to, and even the most seasoned Phoenicians partake in the pastime of complaining about the heat, but it really isn't that bad.

I've only been to Phoenix in September, so it was "only" mid 90s. I would take that over 20s and 30s any day.

Yeah, 100 in Phoenix is much different than 100 in many other places. After experiencing the summer temps that get up to 115-117, 100 may actually even feel relatively cool/mild here. During the heart of the summer, most get by fine by staying in pools and A/C for the great majority of their time. It definitely takes some getting used to, and even the most seasoned Phoenicians partake in the pastime of complaining about the heat, but it really isn't that bad.
Still sounds ridiculously hot to me :laugh: Though it definitely sounds more livable/bearable than 85F 80%+ humidity summers.
I've only been to Phoenix in September, so it was "only" mid 90s. I would take that over 20s and 30s any day.
Me too! Mid 90s is hot but definitely more tolerable than 20s and 30s IMO. I would probably be more conflicted if I had to choose between mid 100s vs 30s to 20s.

Alright I've got a weird one for you guys. I've got a low (read terrible) GPA and a pretty high MCAT and I'm assuming Mayo is out of reach for me with one exception: I work for Mayo. I'm sure my bosses could provide an abundance of evidence on how I fit the mission and value exceptional patient care. I basically work independently of any direct supervision (my bosses are ~1.5k miles away from me 95% of days) and I keep getting told how great it is that they hired *me* and not someone else because of my work ethic, knowledge base, and commitment to patient care. Is there any chance that they'd have pull with the school or is there basically no overlap between the organization and the medical school?

Alright I've got a weird one for you guys. I've got a low (read terrible) GPA and a pretty high MCAT and I'm assuming Mayo is out of reach for me with one exception: I work for Mayo. I'm sure my bosses could provide an abundance of evidence on how I fit the mission and value exceptional patient care. I basically work independently of any direct supervision (my bosses are ~1.5k miles away from me 95% of days) and I keep getting told how great it is that they hired *me* and not someone else because of my work ethic, knowledge base, and commitment to patient care. Is there any chance that they'd have pull with the school or is there basically no overlap between the organization and the medical school?
Maybe? Though haven't read/seen anything which would suggest an overlap between the organization and the med school. Regardless, strong letters of recommendation will be helpful on their own. If you're interested in attending MMS, apply!

I'm applying to one school that's def out of my league because I work there and have a grad degree from there. Who knows...

Question for someone who is at Mayo currently. I have a committee letter that I am going to send as my letter of recommendation requirement. Part of this committee packet includes three individual letters of recommendation. One of these letters, however, was from an employer who said that they don't have any letterhead to put it on. Everything else in the packet is on letterhead. Any ideas if this would hurt my chances at getting in?

No secondary essays! Application complete.

Et7GiCR.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Does receiving the "application received" email mean that your application is complete (primary, LOR, mcat)?

And I know mayo don't have any secondary essays, but don't they have a secondary app? Anyone know when we should we expect that?

Does receiving the "application received" email mean that your application is complete (primary, LOR, mcat)?

And I know mayo don't have any secondary essays, but don't they have a secondary app? Anyone know when we should we expect that?

1. No - "Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If you have indicated you are taking a future MCAT, your application will be considered upon receipt of your MCAT scores. When additional information is required for your file, you will be notified via email."

Basically if you sent LOR and MCAT with your primary you are complete, otherwise they're going to wait for those or send another email requesting them.

2. No - no secondary app.

Received the email too and (obviously) got a little excited even though I knew it was absolutely nothing haha... keeping my fingers crossed for this one!

Reactions: 1 users
1. No - "Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If you have indicated you are taking a future MCAT, your application will be considered upon receipt of your MCAT scores. When additional information is required for your file, you will be notified via email."

Basically if you sent LOR and MCAT with your primary you are complete, otherwise they're going to wait for those or send another email requesting them.

2. No - no secondary app.
So do they send out interview invites really early then?

So do they send out interview invites really early then?
Nope. If its anything like last year, there's still multiple screens.

As of now, they're just looking at our activities and numbers. If we're fortunate, Mayo will request our letter of recommendations (in a email) and then read our full applications along with our personal statement. Then if we're super lucky, we'll get a interview invite!

Nope. If its anything like last year, there's still multiple screens.

As of now, they're just looking at our activities and numbers. If we're fortunate, Mayo will request our letter of recommendations (in a email) and then read our full applications along with our personal statement. Then if we're super lucky, we'll get a interview invite!
Uhh was I not supposed to send them the LOE's yet?

Uhh was I not supposed to send them the LOE's yet?
You can. I did. It's just that Mayo won't read them until they sends you a email requesting your LORs. If anything, assigning them early ensures that they'll already have your letters when they need them.

You can. I did. It's just that Mayo won't read them until they sends you a email requesting your LORs. If anything, assigning them early ensures that they'll already have your letters when they need them.
Wait. So just to be clear, the letters in the AMCAS app are enough right? We don't have to send them any LOEs directly, right?

Wait. So just to be clear, the letters in the AMCAS app are enough right? We don't have to send them any LOEs directly, right?
Right. AMCAS will forward the letters and Mayo will look at them if we make the cut.

Does everyone get the $120 fee request? Just got an email, I thought mayo did a fairly rigorous screen and honestly didn't think I would get it?

Does everyone get the $120 fee request? Just got an email, I thought mayo did a fairly rigorous screen and honestly didn't think I would get it?

This. I just got an email too. Is the screen for the fee thorough? Or is there a later, more rigorous screen?

Exactly!
So Mayo screens for mcat scores below a 508, but they don't screen GPAs?
No idea.
Me too! According to last years thread, it means we passed a minor screen (I'm guessing MCAT). The real screen occurs when they start sending out LOR requests (cuts out roughly 1/4 of the applicant pool)

Exactly!

No idea.

Me too! According to last years thread, it means we passed a minor screen (I'm guessing MCAT). The real screen occurs when they start sending out LOR requests (cuts out roughly 1/4 of the applicant pool)
Yikes $120.....

You're the real MVP.